Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7169
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby UnamSanctam » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:08 pm

basilseal wrote:Hahaha love you guys. Thanks for the good vibes Samara, I'll take any I can get.

And Unam- I'm praying for you. :wink:


In on Wednesday. Admit packet came today. :wink:

mattbarnes123
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mattbarnes123 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:12 pm

Does UM ever give need aid in addition to merit aid?

User avatar
basilseal
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby basilseal » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:20 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
basilseal wrote:Hahaha love you guys. Thanks for the good vibes Samara, I'll take any I can get.

And Unam- I'm praying for you. :wink:


In on Wednesday. Admit packet came today. :wink:

I meant for the remission of your manifold sins.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7169
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby UnamSanctam » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:32 pm

basilseal wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
basilseal wrote:Hahaha love you guys. Thanks for the good vibes Samara, I'll take any I can get.

And Unam- I'm praying for you. :wink:


In on Wednesday. Admit packet came today. :wink:

I meant for the remission of your manifold sins.


You'll have to do a lot of praying for that. I iz a sinner.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:34 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
basilseal wrote:Hahaha love you guys. Thanks for the good vibes Samara, I'll take any I can get.

And Unam- I'm praying for you. :wink:


In on Wednesday. Admit packet came today. :wink:


But you are in MI, right? In on Wednesday, as well, but nothing yet (TBF, though, I'm still at work).

User avatar
foxylaxy
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby foxylaxy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:36 pm

mattbarnes123 wrote:Does UM ever give need aid in addition to merit aid?


From the TLS Michigan site:

Michigan awards scholarships of various sizes to about half the class, with an applicant’s LSAT score and GPA being the greatest determinants. The median grant amount in 2009 was $8,800 — a lower number than every Top 14 school except Berkeley. However, Michigan awarded scholarships to 56.6% of the class — the fourth highest percentage among the same set of schools. Dean Zearfoss said that “we also pay attention to what the schools that we compete with give out, and we allow people who don’t make our initial criteria to let us know about those offers and sometimes we try to compete with those.”

Michigan also offers need-based aid for “people who are coming from really tough economic circumstances and who don’t meet either of those other two categories.”

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7169
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby UnamSanctam » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:39 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
basilseal wrote:Hahaha love you guys. Thanks for the good vibes Samara, I'll take any I can get.

And Unam- I'm praying for you. :wink:


In on Wednesday. Admit packet came today. :wink:


But you are in MI, right? In on Wednesday, as well, but nothing yet (TBF, though, I'm still at work).


Yeah, I'm within like a day of shipping from them.

User avatar
erv2107
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby erv2107 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:52 pm

$18,000/year here! Pleasantly surprised.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:14 pm

erv2107 wrote:$18,000/year here! Pleasantly surprised.


Just goes to prove that you can get money if you ED. Congrats.

46nyc
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 46nyc » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:24 pm

mattbarnes123 wrote:Does UM ever give need aid in addition to merit aid?



The letter in the mail specifically stated that due to the size of the merit award, I would not be eligible for need-based grants, but I can get need-based loans. I don't know if that's true for all sizes of the merit awards or not.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:32 pm

46nyc wrote:
mattbarnes123 wrote:Does UM ever give need aid in addition to merit aid?



The letter in the mail specifically stated that due to the size of the merit award, I would not be eligible for need-based grants, but I can get need-based loans. I don't know if that's true for all sizes of the merit awards or not.


Very very few people qualify for need-based aid at any law school. You're an independent for FAFSA purposes automatically as a grad student and most people have UG debt making them horribly insolvent. Even if they don't, once their first round of student loans hit nearly everyone would be worth negative tens of thousands of dollars. As a result, everyone would qualify if they operated the same as UG.

User avatar
aperfectmap
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:56 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby aperfectmap » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:46 pm

Dean's scholarship letter came today, but it wasn't listed in mail and money. Happy to receive it, but it makes deciding on HLS a little easier.

User avatar
Champion
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:13 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Champion » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:49 pm

So to everyone that got money, did it came with the acceptance packet or later? Also, is there any for me to check if I was awarded money before my packet arrives on the ASW?

Edit: Click on financial aid awards and it said zero awards found. :cry:

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:03 pm

Sweet... came home to see a wonderful packet from Michigan. In via ASW on Wednesday, packet today. I loved the personal note Dean Z put in the letter!

User avatar
erikjc
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:49 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby erikjc » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:09 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Sweet... came home to see a wonderful packet from Michigan. In via ASW on Wednesday, packet today. I loved the personal note Dean Z put in the letter!


Congrats! When did you go complete?

User avatar
aperfectmap
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:56 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby aperfectmap » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:13 pm

Champion wrote:So to everyone that got money, did it came with the acceptance packet or later? Also, is there any for me to check if I was awarded money before my packet arrives on the ASW?

Edit: Click on financial aid awards and it said zero awards found. :cry:


The letter about the scholarship came about a month after the acceptance for me. Disregarding differences in timing, I think that everyone had to wait at least a little while after being accepted to get any news about money.

Some people reported seeing the offer letter for the scholarship listed in the Mail and Money section under admissions mailings prior to receiving it.

User avatar
Champion
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:13 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Champion » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:19 pm

aperfectmap wrote:
Champion wrote:So to everyone that got money, did it came with the acceptance packet or later? Also, is there any for me to check if I was awarded money before my packet arrives on the ASW?

Edit: Click on financial aid awards and it said zero awards found. :cry:


The letter about the scholarship came about a month after the acceptance for me. Disregarding differences in timing, I think that everyone had to wait at least a little while after being accepted to get any news about money.

Some people reported seeing the offer letter for the scholarship listed in the Mail and Money section under admissions mailings prior to receiving it.


Thanks for the info. It's much to my relief! Hopefully Dean Zearfoss will be feeling generous and have some money for me in the coming weeks.
Last edited by Champion on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:21 pm

erikjc wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:Sweet... came home to see a wonderful packet from Michigan. In via ASW on Wednesday, packet today. I loved the personal note Dean Z put in the letter!


Congrats! When did you go complete?


Submitted 11/03 or 11/04, complete 11/11, ASW 11/30, packet 12/02.

User avatar
Danny Mothers
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Danny Mothers » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:45 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Submitted 11/03 or 11/04, complete 11/11, ASW 11/30, packet 12/02.


Are you ED? We applied on the same day but I got my complete 10 days later.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:46 pm

Danny Mothers wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Submitted 11/03 or 11/04, complete 11/11, ASW 11/30, packet 12/02.


Are you ED? We applied on the same day but I got my complete 10 days later.


Nope.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:49 pm

For those that were admitted Wednesday, does it say "Zero awards found" under Financial Aid on ASW? I'm hoping it says that for everyone and it is just because the system just became live today and we haven't been looked at yet for scholarships, yet.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7169
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby UnamSanctam » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:51 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:For those that were admitted Wednesday, does it say "Zero awards found" under Financial Aid on ASW? I'm hoping it says that for everyone and it is just because the system just became live today and we haven't been looked at yet for scholarships, yet.


Yes, but I should qualify that by saying my stats probably don't garner me any aid, and I am ED.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:04 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:For those that were admitted Wednesday, does it say "Zero awards found" under Financial Aid on ASW? I'm hoping it says that for everyone and it is just because the system just became live today and we haven't been looked at yet for scholarships, yet.


Yes, but I should qualify that by saying my stats probably don't garner me any aid, and I am ED.


You never know... you didn't expect to get in, and you did. :-) Plus, someone else who said they were ED got $18k/year.

kl10qm
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:09 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kl10qm » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:18 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:For those that were admitted Wednesday, does it say "Zero awards found" under Financial Aid on ASW? I'm hoping it says that for everyone and it is just because the system just became live today and we haven't been looked at yet for scholarships, yet.


Yes, I just looked at mine about an hour ago and it said "Zero Awards Found" as well. I am hoping for some aid, but not counting on it...even then, getting at least some form of aid would once again reaffirm that I made the correct choice in ED'ing to Michigan. (which I think I did regardless). :D

User avatar
AmandaPB
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby AmandaPB » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:31 pm

erv2107 wrote:$18,000/year here! Pleasantly surprised.

Same here. Wish it was more but I have no idea how much money I’ll be able to get out of the T14. I guess I’m willing to attend some schools without anything so this is good!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: canafsa, carlos_danger, KeYe88, lillawyer2, notsolawful, TudoBem and 10 guests