Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crooked

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby crooked » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:30 pm

Congratulations!

baconpuffs

Postby baconpuffs » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:34 pm

JoeMo wrote:OMG OMG OMG! I'm in!!!! I didn't think this was going to happen for me. I am so happy. I'll be seeing you guys in Ann Arbor for ASW!!!!!! :)

=D congrats!

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:36 pm

JoeMo wrote:OMG OMG OMG! I'm in!!!! I didn't think this was going to happen for me. I am so happy. I'll be seeing you guys in Ann Arbor for ASW!!!!!! :)

Congrats!! I'm all for reverse splitter love. :)

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:41 pm

Anyone else already started looking at apartments?
:)

daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:45 pm

That's awesome, congrats! When did you send/go complete?

crooked

Postby crooked » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:47 pm

Real Madrid wrote:Anyone else already started looking at apartments?

Waiting to see how my cycle plays out, but I've definitely thought about it. Hoping the "Housing" section of ASW is updated soon.

baconpuffs

Postby baconpuffs » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:50 pm

crooked wrote:

Waiting to see how my cycle plays out, but I've definitely thought about it. Hoping the "Housing" section of ASW is updated soon.

+1

Is anyone in this position admitted for summer start only?

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:58 pm

baconpuffs wrote:
crooked wrote:

+1

I started posting some apt related stuff on the Mich Class of 2015 thread (viewtopic.php?f=32&t=166294). Seems like the best deal is to sublet during the summer and get a head start on the housing search for the fall while we're in Ann Arbor.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:17 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote:
baconpuffs wrote:
crooked wrote:

+1

I started posting some apt related stuff on the Mich Class of 2015 thread (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=166294). Seems like the best deal is to sublet during the summer and get a head start on the housing search for the fall while we're in Ann Arbor.

You need to be looking for the fall now. Places are already re-leasing for then. The market in AA locks up super early.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:29 pm

Umm...still no status checker. Submitted early Nov. Should I call?

TheRedMamba

Postby TheRedMamba » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:30 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Umm...still no status checker. Submitted early Nov. Should I call?

+1

lawgem

Postby lawgem » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:39 pm

Congrats JoeMo!

How did you find out? Wondering when the decision was available to you. I think you are the first Oct LSAT taker to get a response. Are you ED? Hope this is just the beginning of good news for today/tomorrow..... :) Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:45 pm

TheRedMamba wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:Umm...still no status checker. Submitted early Nov. Should I call?

+1

I'm in the same boat. I don't think there's anything to worry about. Give 'em a month or so. They only send out status checkers on Tuesdays. If you don't get one tomorrow, you could call on Wednesday, but honestly, they'll get to you.

addy11

Postby addy11 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:53 pm

lawgem wrote:Congrats JoeMo!

How did you find out? Wondering when the decision was available to you. I think you are the first Oct LSAT taker to get a response. Are you ED? Hope this is just the beginning of good news for today/tomorrow..... :) Good luck to everyone still waiting!

It's important to note that he's an URM. Seems like at all schools URMs have a different cadence for admission (i.e., Tuesday has a bunch of URMs admitted, then on Thursday and Friday you'll see a bunch of non-URM admits).

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:59 pm

addy11 wrote:

It's important to note that he's an URM. Seems like at all schools URMs have a different cadence for admission (i.e., Tuesday has a bunch of URMs admitted, then on Thursday and Friday you'll see a bunch of non-URM admits).

I'm not URM. Not sure where you got that from.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:02 pm

I found out via a very kind personal e-mail from Dean Z. I was not ED. And I went complete 11/10 if I'm going by the second status checker e-mail.

This is truly a blessing this early in the season. Michigan was my #1 choice and so this is where I'll be going.

Also, FWIW I don't know why the personal e-mail vs. the way everyone else has been hearing. I just know that I was as shocked as anyone else.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:02 pm

addy11 wrote:

Also Michigan law (as in the law of the state of Michigan) does not allow the use of race in admissions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_C ... Initiative

addy11

Postby addy11 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:12 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
addy11 wrote:

Also Michigan law (as in the law of the state of Michigan) does not allow the use of race in admissions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_C ... Initiative

Oops. I'm doubly an idiot then. I made the illicit assumption that Ethnic Minority = URM, and then forgot about the initiative.

Oh well... then this is good! The next race blind cohort will be hearing soon. Here's to hoping we're all in it. :)

amc987

Postby amc987 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:14 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:Also Michigan law (as in the law of the state of Michigan) does not allow the use of race in admissions:

This actually isn't accurate. As a result of the SC's decision in Grutter vs. Bollinger, the University of Michigan and other state universities have a compelling interest in admitting a diverse class of law students. Using affirmative action in that context was deemed narrowly tailored to meet that interest. Michigan is allowed to consider race and ethnicity holistically and use those aspects of an applicant's background when they're making decisions. Michigan can't have quotas or give an application an automatic number of additional points just because the applicant is a URM, but they are allowed to weigh race along with lots of other factors when they choose the incoming class. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grutter_v._Bollinger

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:15 pm

addy11 wrote:Oops. I'm doubly an idiot then. I made the illicit assumption that Ethnic Minority = URM, and then forgot about the initiative.

Oh well... then this is good! The next race blind cohort will be hearing soon. Here's to hoping we're all in it. :)

Lol, I should probably change that because you're not the first person to think that. I think Minority only = URM if you're Native American, African American, Mexican or Puerto Rican. At least from what I've heard from other TLS'ers. Thus, I don't qualify.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:20 pm

amc987 wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:Also Michigan law (as in the law of the state of Michigan) does not allow the use of race in admissions:

This actually isn't accurate. As a result of the SC's decision in Grutter vs. Bollinger, the University of Michigan and other state universities have a compelling interest in admitting a diverse class of law students. Using affirmative action in that context was deemed narrowly tailored to meet that interest. Michigan is allowed to consider race and ethnicity holistically and use those aspects of an applicant's background when they're making decisions. Michigan can't have quotas or give an application an automatic number of additional points just because the applicant is a URM, but they are allowed to weigh race along with lots of other factors when they choose the incoming class. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grutter_v._Bollinger

Michigan amended their state constitution after Grutter specifically to prohibit such consideration. Hence why he said the state of MI, and not the 14th Amendment. So actually, it's very accurate. I'd advise you to be careful making legal assertions you aren't positive of.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:24 pm

blowhard wrote:
amc987 wrote:

Michigan amended their state constitution after Grutter specifically to prohibit such consideration. Hence why he said the state of MI, and not the Constitution. So actually, it's very accurate. I'd advise you to be careful making legal assertions you aren't positive of.

^A nicer response than I was typing up^

amc987

Postby amc987 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:26 pm

blowhard wrote:
amc987 wrote:

Michigan amended their state constitution after Grutter to prohibit such consideration. So actually, it's very accurate.

The Michigan Civil Rights Initiative got overturned by the 6th Circuit on appeal in July. Michigan's AG said he's going to appeal that ruling. To be fair, I didn't know that this had happened when I posted my response. But at the very least, the legislation seems to be in some kind of limbo. I'm not sure what that means in terms of admissions, but I don't think it's quite as clear cut as "Michigan can't use race in admissions decisions." Grutter vs. Bollinger on the other hand is federal law and, to my knowledge, has not been overturned. I think the Supreme Court might be hearing arguments on a related affirmative action case next year.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:32 pm

Back to where we were: I did not get accepted based on MY race because I'm not a URM. :D

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:37 pm

amc987 wrote:
blowhard wrote:
amc987 wrote:

Michigan amended their state constitution after Grutter to prohibit such consideration. So actually, it's very accurate.

The Michigan Civil Rights Initiative got overturned by the 6th Circuit on appeal in July. Michigan's AG said he's going to appeal that ruling. To be fair, I didn't know that this had happened when I posted my response. But at the very least, the legislation seems to be in some kind of limbo. I'm not sure what that means in terms of admissions, but I don't think it's quite as clear cut as "Michigan can't use race in admissions decisions." Grutter vs. Bollinger on the other hand is federal law and, to my knowledge, has not been overturned. I think the Supreme Court might be hearing arguments on a related affirmative action case next year.

You are correct that the 6th circuit technically over-ruled the amendment...but this is highly in limbo and likely to be struck down. (Many consider the court's reasoning ludicrous.) Considering the cost of re-vamping an admissions program, I doubt they have re-instituted using race.

Regardless, the way race was used would not result in someone being admitted sooner or later which was the original assertion. (Nor is the poster even a URM.)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”