Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
UnamSanctam

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby UnamSanctam » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:20 am

Hmm, does being in-state having any influence on my cycle for Michigan?

tmon

Postby tmon » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:45 am

Not much. M has about 20% in state students, which is real low compared to the schools that actually give noticeable residency boosts. I was just reading about this actually. They basically said that it's one factor under consideration, but not one of the top ones in their holistic review. That it's a factor I guess means the answer is "yes" but unlikely to be the deciding factor.
Also, if you have any free time (lol) check out Dean Z's admissions blog. It's pretty informative, even if you're searching for a specific piece of information.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:54 am

tmon wrote:Not much. M has about 20% in state students, which is real low compared to the schools that actually give noticeable residency boosts. I was just reading about this actually. They basically said that it's one factor under consideration, but not one of the top ones in their holistic review. That it's a factor I guess means the answer is "yes" but unlikely to be the deciding factor.
Also, if you have any free time (lol) check out Dean Z's admissions blog. It's pretty informative, even if you're searching for a specific piece of information.

Hahaha Dean Z is hilarious.

Dean Z wrote:The summer-starter, on the other hand? No redemption there. Now I know we have in our midst, not a Tupac, not a Notorious B.I.G., but an Akon. Tsk.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:17 am

Now that I figured out how to navigate the website, can I just say that I am stoked to apply to Michigan?!

I'm really impressed with the Child Advocacy clinics and expertise. That is one of my 2 major interests in pursuing a legal career, and they seem to have a very thorough approach. Combined with being able to actually represent clients in course by the second year, so attractive. I don't think I've seen anything comparable at other schools. Lots have clinics, but not much on how they actually approach it.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:42 pm

MumofCad wrote:Now that I figured out how to navigate the website, can I just say that I am stoked to apply to Michigan?!

I'm really impressed with the Child Advocacy clinics and expertise. That is one of my 2 major interests in pursuing a legal career, and they seem to have a very thorough approach. Combined with being able to actually represent clients in course by the second year, so attractive. I don't think I've seen anything comparable at other schools. Lots have clinics, but not much on how they actually approach it.

This is how I feel about their Human Trafficking clinic.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:27 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
MumofCad wrote:Now that I figured out how to navigate the website, can I just say that I am stoked to apply to Michigan?!

Its like they knew I was thinking about them. I just got a nice packet from them with a fee waiver and view book. Its like someone just handed my $75!

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:41 pm

MumofCad wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:

Its like they knew I was thinking about them. I just got a nice packet from them with a fee waiver and view book. Its like someone just handed my $75!

I remember that feeling! I had it every time I got a t14 waiver last year because I didn't have TLS then so I didn't even know fee waivers were a thing (until 100 showed up in my email inbox after the LSAT scores were released) and certainly not for schools I actually wanted to apply to. It was the best thing.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:20 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
I remember that feeling! I had it every time I got a t14 waiver last year because I didn't have TLS then so I didn't even know fee waivers were a thing (until 100 showed up in my email inbox after the LSAT scores were released) and certainly not for schools I actually wanted to apply to. It was the best thing.

Yeah, this if my first besides a solicited one from UVA to schools I intended to apply to anyhow. It really is like getting handed a check, especially since I was planning to apply in a few days when the app becomes available. Dean Z wrote a nice little side note on the letter too. I also have to say.....her letter really spoke to me. As an older student with a family, whose been out in the professional world and knows what they want from a law degree, I'm not keen on going to a school where I'm going to be miserable for 3 years or surrounded by people that have suddenly lost perspective on the world outside. I've been one of those blessed people that actually loved university (well all until this last year of my PhD, but no one ever enjoys the home stretch on that) and absolutely adore going to work each morning (even on the bad days, its a great job). The thought of throwing that away for 3 years of either boredom or misery...less than desirable considering that I will be dragging three small kids and a husband through it with me. If I can get the degree to do what I want in the next stage of my career and actually enjoy doing it, all the better! Having talked to a good number of friends who've recently gone through the experience, I think the clinical work offered in the 2L year will have a lot to do with how I think about the experience afterward since I'm really most interested in going into child advocacy, but don't have a lot of prior experience in the field except for going through the process to become a foster home in our current state and trying to adopt a child in a less-than-hospitable foreign system.

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:55 pm

I am also really excited about both those clinics. Last year I was a CASA (court appointed special advocate) for children. I also did research on human trafficking for a policy class.
It's weird knowing that I will be classmates with people like you Mum. You're at such a different stage in life and are so intelligent and insightful. Makes me even more excited!

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:14 am

JDndMSW wrote:I am also really excited about both those clinics. Last year I was a CASA (court appointed special advocate) for children. I also did research on human trafficking for a policy class.
It's weird knowing that I will be classmates with people like you Mum. You're at such a different stage in life and are so intelligent and insightful. Makes me even more excited!

That's really kind of you. I promise to let everyone decompress during exam time at my house.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:20 am

JDndMSW wrote:I am also really excited about both those clinics. Last year I was a CASA (court appointed special advocate) for children. I also did research on human trafficking for a policy class.

I am also really excited about the human trafficking clinic. Are you planning to pursue a JD and MSW? I am thinking about that actually, though am not 100% sure yet. Michigan has a really good MSW program as well.

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:46 am

freestallion wrote:

I am also really excited about the human trafficking clinic. Are you planning to pursue a JD and MSW? I am thinking about that actually, though am not 100% sure yet. Michigan has a really good MSW program as well.

I use to be set on doing a joint program until I did more research. Even speaking with a lot of reps during an LSAC forum I was discouraged by most schools. I originally had planned to apply to joint programs at the same time but now I will only be applying once I have been accepted. I am also looking for programs that will give me advanced standing with my BSW. A lot of it comes down to the cost, even though I am a CA native and would love to attend Berkeley or LA UCs are WAY to expensive. Three programs that I am really interested (they give you credit for your BSW) are Boston College, WUSTL, and my number one choice UT. I am hoping if I kill it on the LSAT that they might accept that and not require me to take the GRE :/

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:27 am

Yeah, so that handwritten note was awesome. Made my day

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:15 am

JDndMSW wrote:
freestallion wrote:

I use to be set on doing a joint program until I did more research. Even speaking with a lot of reps during an LSAC forum I was discouraged by most schools. I originally had planned to apply to joint programs at the same time but now I will only be applying once I have been accepted. I am also looking for programs that will give me advanced standing with my BSW. A lot of it comes down to the cost, even though I am a CA native and would love to attend Berkeley or LA UCs are WAY to expensive. Three programs that I am really interested (they give you credit for your BSW) are Boston College, WUSTL, and my number one choice UT. I am hoping if I kill it on the LSAT that they might accept that and not require me to take the GRE :/

I've been looking into Mich's joint degrees because I'm going to be a summer starter. So it means more money, but it also means, if the timing works out, that I can graduate on time with the rest of the class. I think it would definitely be an interesting thing to do, some of the programs would help me with my career in very specific ways, and if the timing works out, then great. I'm still prioritizing taking off a semester to do an internship, and I would absolutely want to wait until after OCI so I can know if I have a shot at a firm. No firm = absolutely no reason why I should be spending more loan money, imho.

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:39 am

tmon wrote:their holistic review.

lol

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:45 am

Antrim wrote:

lol

+1

soj

Postby soj » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:02 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Antrim wrote:

lol

+1

+1
HP and I were actually just talking about this.

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:21 am

awww. you guys really think it's bs?

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:59 am

tmon wrote:awww. you guys really think it's bs?

Edited in case the adcomms ever come through every single post in this thread and I don't want to completely out myself (lol).

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:07 am

UnamSanctam wrote:

Edited in case the adcomms ever come through every single post in this thread and I don't want to completely out myself (lol).

Missed it :cry:

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:01 am

tmon wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:

Missed it :cry:

Was essentially just saying it doesn't matter for my personal application whether they're holistic or not, since I'm a K-JD.

sea15

Postby sea15 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:21 pm

I'm working on my Michigan essays and I had a quick question. I've followed this thread and I think everyone has decided that Essay 7 is the traditional diversity statement, however, as it is worded, it seems to be a little more open ended than this. I was thinking of writing about my experience working in nonprofits and how that will be a valuable experience to "enrich the quality and breadth of the intellectual life of our community." I'm interested in public interest law and trying to incorporate this throughout the application and this question is a great place to expand more on my experience.

What do you think? Is this a valid interpretation of this essay prompt:

How might your perspectives and experiences enrich the quality and breadth of the intellectual life of our community or enhance the legal profession

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:36 pm

sea15 wrote:I'm working on my Michigan essays and I had a quick question. I've followed this thread and I think everyone has decided that Essay 7 is the traditional diversity statement, however, as it is worded, it seems to be a little more open ended than this. I was thinking of writing about my experience working in nonprofits and how that will be a valuable experience to "enrich the quality and breadth of the intellectual life of our community." I'm interested in public interest law and trying to incorporate this throughout the application and this question is a great place to expand more on my experience.

How might your perspectives and experiences enrich the quality and breadth of the intellectual life of our community or enhance the legal profession

I'd absolutely write it. I wouldn't even worry about listing the specific optional essay you are addressing.

sea15

Postby sea15 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:44 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
sea15 wrote:I'm working on my Michigan essays and I had a quick question. I've followed this thread and I think everyone has decided that Essay 7 is the traditional diversity statement, however, as it is worded, it seems to be a little more open ended than this. I was thinking of writing about my experience working in nonprofits and how that will be a valuable experience to "enrich the quality and breadth of the intellectual life of our community." I'm interested in public interest law and trying to incorporate this throughout the application and this question is a great place to expand more on my experience.

I'd absolutely write it. I wouldn't even worry about listing the specific optional essay you are addressing.

Thanks. Just needed some affirmation.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:44 pm

When I write my Why X, will a stated interest in both PI and the Human Trafficking clinic look like I'm pandering too much (FWIW, I'm not)?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”