Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
paul34
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby paul34 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:25 pm

.
Last edited by paul34 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby EMZE » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:09 pm

paul34 wrote:Status date didn't change today, but page updated date did. Is there someone working on Saturday?



If there is, they aren't sending out status checkers...

User avatar
paul34
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby paul34 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:17 pm

.
Last edited by paul34 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:26 pm

paul34 wrote:I just thought about something concerning.

What if Michigan, now at 7 (up from 9 in years past), tries to make a further push in order to officially become part of the T6? Does anyone think Michigan's move up two places would result in an overall increase in applications, like UT has allegedly had now that it is in the top 14 as of the last rankings?

At the same time, even if that were true, perhaps that means the the lower T6 will fight harder for more qualified candidates, thus meaning Michigan just won't be able to get them, thus meaning that the less impressively numbered among us might still have a chance.

Events in the UT thread have me concerned.


Yeah, no. There's a significant enough margin between NYU and Mich/Penn in the absolute score given by USNWR.

C: 92
C: 90
N: 89
M: 86
P: 86

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:41 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
paul34 wrote:I just thought about something concerning.

What if Michigan, now at 7 (up from 9 in years past), tries to make a further push in order to officially become part of the T6? Does anyone think Michigan's move up two places would result in an overall increase in applications, like UT has allegedly had now that it is in the top 14 as of the last rankings?

At the same time, even if that were true, perhaps that means the the lower T6 will fight harder for more qualified candidates, thus meaning Michigan just won't be able to get them, thus meaning that the less impressively numbered among us might still have a chance.

Events in the UT thread have me concerned.


Yeah, no. There's a significant enough margin between NYU and Mich/Penn in the absolute score given by USNWR.

C: 92
C: 90
N: 89
M: 86
P: 86


I don't think Mich will be like UT. People with 166's and 167's have been accepted that are non URM. I feel like Mich is less numbers hungry

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15495
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:44 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
paul34 wrote:I just thought about something concerning.

What if Michigan, now at 7 (up from 9 in years past), tries to make a further push in order to officially become part of the T6? Does anyone think Michigan's move up two places would result in an overall increase in applications, like UT has allegedly had now that it is in the top 14 as of the last rankings?

At the same time, even if that were true, perhaps that means the the lower T6 will fight harder for more qualified candidates, thus meaning Michigan just won't be able to get them, thus meaning that the less impressively numbered among us might still have a chance.

Events in the UT thread have me concerned.


Yeah, no. There's a significant enough margin between NYU and Mich/Penn in the absolute score given by USNWR.

C: 92
C: 90
N: 89
M: 86
P: 86


Yup. And the 166/3.5 admitted this cycle shows they aren't too concerned about moving up.

But if they want to move up that LSAT median I am here to help :)

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby UnamSanctam » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:32 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:But if they want to move up hold that LSAT median I am here to help :)


FTFM

User avatar
Tim0thy222
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tim0thy222 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:08 pm

Checking in. Just sent in my app.

Wasn't going to bother since I felt like my chances were too slim, but I have an LSAC fee waiver, so I figured my slightly-greater-than-zero chance was worth it.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby UnamSanctam » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:13 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:Checking in. Just sent in my app.

Wasn't going to bother since I felt like my chances were too slim, but I have an LSAC fee waiver, so I figured my slightly-greater-than-zero chance was worth it.


a 3.2/177 and you think you have slim chances? LOL

User avatar
Tim0thy222
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tim0thy222 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:22 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:Checking in. Just sent in my app.

Wasn't going to bother since I felt like my chances were too slim, but I have an LSAC fee waiver, so I figured my slightly-greater-than-zero chance was worth it.


a 3.2/177 and you think you have slim chances? LOL


You think I have a decent shot?

Last year they WL'ed/rejected most people below 3.3 regardless of LSAT. Same with 2009. It looks like I would've fared better in the 08-09 cycle, so maybe the decreased number of app this year will work in my favor.

I don't know, plus looking at their LSN graphs they seem unpredictable in terms of numbers, suggesting that they are holistic about their admissions decisions, and I don't know how strong my app is outside my numbers.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby UnamSanctam » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:25 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:Checking in. Just sent in my app.

Wasn't going to bother since I felt like my chances were too slim, but I have an LSAC fee waiver, so I figured my slightly-greater-than-zero chance was worth it.


a 3.2/177 and you think you have slim chances? LOL


You think I have a decent shot?

Last year they WL'ed/rejected most people below 3.3 regardless of LSAT. Same with 2009. It looks like I would've fared better in the 08-09 cycle, so maybe the decreased number of app this year will work in my favor.

I don't know, plus looking at their LSN graphs they seem unpredictable in terms of numbers, suggesting that they are holistic about their admissions decisions, and I don't know how strong my app is outside my numbers.


It's been suggested they have a soft 3.3 GPA floor. While it's certainly possible, I think that 177 gives you a really good shot if this cycle is going to play out how I think it will. I could be wrong, but since a 3.5/166 got in, I think a 3.2/177 has a great shot.

User avatar
DaftAndDirect
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby DaftAndDirect » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:32 pm

Checking in. Application submitted today. I feel like today's a good day to start smoking cigarettes.

User avatar
Tim0thy222
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tim0thy222 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:54 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:Checking in. Application submitted today. I feel like today's a good day to start smoking cigarettes.


You should. I've never been a smoker, but I have recently been enjoying these on occasion:

Image

You know, not to be a bad influence or anything. Good luck on your app!

anewaphorist
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:13 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby anewaphorist » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:24 pm

^TITCR. Delicious cloves are.

User avatar
holden147
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby holden147 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Checking in. Applied at Michigan - my #1 choice. It's a bit of a reach for me but I feel I had a great PS and the professors that wrote my LORs were very excited about writing them so hopefully those 2 things give me a bit of a boost. GL all.

User avatar
whirledpeas86
Posts: 1393
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby whirledpeas86 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:48 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
DaftAndDirect wrote:Checking in. Application submitted today. I feel like today's a good day to start smoking cigarettes.


You should. I've never been a smoker, but I have recently been enjoying these on occasion:

Image

You know, not to be a bad influence or anything. Good luck on your app!


As a current law student, I would advise you to get started on increasing your smoking and drinking ASAP. Cigarettes and alcohol (among several other vices) are the only ways I motivate myself to get anything done these days.

User avatar
DaftAndDirect
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby DaftAndDirect » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:51 pm

edit out
Last edited by DaftAndDirect on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tim0thy222
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tim0thy222 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:37 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:I was actually planning on sticking with masturbation. It's cheaper, and I don't want any candid photos of me puffing any Marlboros on file when I eventually run for president.


Just so you know, when you run for president, the whole world will find out that you publicized your intentions to masturbate on TLS. I'll still vote for you though, FWIW.

User avatar
CattyPake
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby CattyPake » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:51 pm

Checking in. Finished my application today! 3.68 and 166/169 so I dunno how the two scores will effect me.

User avatar
paul34
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby paul34 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:58 pm

.
Last edited by paul34 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15495
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:01 pm

paul34 wrote:
CattyPake wrote:Checking in. Finished my application today! 3.68 and 166/169 so I dunno how the two scores will effect me.


From MLS' website

How does the University of Michigan Law School handle multiple LSAT scores?
The Credential Assembly Service (CAS) report for an applicant who has sat for the LSAT more than once will show every score or cancellation, as well as the average score. The ABA requires law schools to report score information based on an admitted student's highest score, and therefore, that is the score to which we give the most weight. We do, however, consider the average score as well, because data provided by the Law School Admissions Council suggests that it has the greatest predictive utility. The average score becomes less useful as the disparity between two scores increases; for that reason, if you have a significant disparity between scores (six or more points), it would be very helpful to address any explanation for the difference in an optional essay or addendum.


Uh oh. Reading that last sentence, I should've added an addendum. Do you all think I should e-mail an addendum? I don't want to "reset" my file or anything, or maybe they've already looked at my file? Do you all think it will be a big deal if I don't submit an addendum? There is an explanation, but it's nothing earth-shattering.


I didn't write an addendum and I won't be adding one after reading that.

grimfan
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:40 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby grimfan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:38 am

Tim0thy222 wrote:
DaftAndDirect wrote:Checking in. Application submitted today. I feel like today's a good day to start smoking cigarettes.


You should. I've never been a smoker, but I have recently been enjoying these on occasion:

Image

You know, not to be a bad influence or anything. Good luck on your app!


Cloves can give you such a nice headrush. But I can't smoke more than one at a time because they leave a slightly sickeningly sweet taste in your mouth.

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby buckilaw » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:45 am

paul34 wrote:I just thought about something concerning.

What if Michigan, now at 7 (up from 9 in years past), tries to make a further push in order to officially become part of the T6? Does anyone think Michigan's move up two places would result in an overall increase in applications, like UT has allegedly had now that it is in the top 14 as of the last rankings?

At the same time, even if that were true, perhaps that means the the lower T6 will fight harder for more qualified candidates, thus meaning Michigan just won't be able to get them, thus meaning that the less impressively numbered among us might still have a chance.

Events in the UT thread have me concerned.


I don't think Dean Z is overly concerned with the rankings. If you look at Michigan's LSN over the past couple cycles you see WL's sprinkled throughout. I'm a firm believer that if you are above 1 median you have a fighting chance to get an acceptance.

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:48 am

buckilaw wrote:
I don't think Dean Z is overly concerned with the rankings. If you look at Michigan's LSN over the past couple cycles you see WL's sprinkled throughout. I'm a firm believer that if you are above 1 median you have a fighting chance to get an acceptance.



Please let this be true! :)

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sandwiches5000 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:34 am

Does anyone who submitted mid/late October NOT have 11/17 as the latest complete date?

Still have it and still red on ASW here. -_- I think I should stop checking.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eastring, Google [Bot] and 7 guests