Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
foxylaxy
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby foxylaxy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:16 pm

foxylaxy wrote:In via ASW 11/12.

Today, 11/14, status changed to "decision."

Note, for everyone in on ASW: "We have reached a decision on your application and you will receive a written decision soon. Please wait 10 to 14 days from the time you first see this message to receive your written decision before contacting the Admissions Office."

Stats:
took LSAT twice, 164 first time, 171 second time.
GPA: 3.5
Sent: 9/19/11
Complete: 10/19/11


Forgot to mention:
For more about softs, etc: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/foxylaxy

Also, I didn't write a "Why Michigan" essay. Instead, I included "Why Michigan" on my PS, tying it into the theme. I did submit addenda for my GPA and the LSAT jump.

User avatar
Strange
Posts: 741
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:23 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Strange » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:18 pm

foxylaxy wrote:
foxylaxy wrote:In via ASW 11/12.

Today, 11/14, status changed to "decision."

Note, for everyone in on ASW: "We have reached a decision on your application and you will receive a written decision soon. Please wait 10 to 14 days from the time you first see this message to receive your written decision before contacting the Admissions Office."

Stats:
took LSAT twice, 164 first time, 171 second time.
GPA: 3.5
Sent: 9/19/11
Complete: 10/19/11


Forgot to mention:
For more about softs, etc: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/foxylaxy

Also, I didn't write a "Why Michigan" essay. Instead, I included "Why Michigan" on my PS, tying it into the theme. I did submit addenda for my GPA and the LSAT jump.


Congrats... it looks like I won't be getting a M decision for a long time but your acceptance makes me optimistic

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:19 pm

Samara wrote:I don't think your example goes against TLS wisdom. First of all, the wisdom is to not write a separate Why X for YHS. I don't think I've ever seen anyone counsel against incorporating Why X into your PS, which is what your friend did. It's not necessary, but it's a good idea for many people.

Second of all, how many applicants have a professor at the law school willing to make a personal phone recommendation? I'm pretty sure that's why your friend got in, not some amazing Why Harvard paragraph in their PS.


Yes, people on TLS regularly advise against "wasting" space in your PS on Why HYS, especially H since they have the hard 2 page limit. The general wisdom is that HYS already know why. Nor did I say, her "why" got her in but just that it didn't disqualify her or put a black mark on her, since she couldn't afford such a thing. For her it made sense, for others it might not.

But whatever, you seem to have missed the point entirely of what I was saying, which is that there shouldn't be a "why" dogma. If you have good reason, go for it. If you don't, probably best not to. If you want to put something in your PS that makes sense for you, go for it. As long as you are crafting a compelling, complete picture of who you are as an applicant and why you make a good addition to the law school in question, the exact format of how you go about doing so is up to you. Know who you are as an applicant and craft that picture in the head of the adcom, using the potential tools you have at your disposal as effectively as possible.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:33 pm

Did my daily routine to see whether I could access the ASW page -- still no luck.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7161
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:36 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Did my daily routine to see whether I could access the ASW page -- still no luck.


You'll be in before I get my status checker. Take it to the bank.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby emkay625 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:39 pm

So....accessing the ASW.....how does one try that? In other words, what is the URL and what would I use for a username/password?

User avatar
vincanity1
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby vincanity1 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:45 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Did my daily routine to see whether I could access the ASW page -- still no luck.

User avatar
sn20
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sn20 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:46 pm

vincanity1 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Did my daily routine to see whether I could access the ASW page -- still no luck.


+1, submitted 9/30

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:48 pm

emkay625 wrote:So....accessing the ASW.....how does one try that? In other words, what is the URL and what would I use for a username/password?


Info is in the OP. Same credentials that you use to sign into your status checker.

User avatar
kulshan
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kulshan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:48 pm

sn20 wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Did my daily routine to see whether I could access the ASW page -- still no luck.


+1, submitted 9/30


+1

46nyc
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 46nyc » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:50 pm

The Mail and Money section is back. Also figured out you can access the video that comes on the flash drive through the ASW. Makes me want to submit my deposit right now!

User avatar
paul34
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby paul34 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:50 pm

.
Last edited by paul34 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:52 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Did my daily routine to see whether I could access the ASW page -- still no luck.


You'll be in before I get my status checker. Take it to the bank.


I sure hope so. Would like to get a decision before Thanksgiving.

User avatar
erikjc
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:49 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby erikjc » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:59 pm

For people who have been accepted, are most of you ED or just early RD applicants?

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Samara » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:29 pm

MumofCad wrote:
Samara wrote:I don't think your example goes against TLS wisdom. First of all, the wisdom is to not write a separate Why X for YHS. I don't think I've ever seen anyone counsel against incorporating Why X into your PS, which is what your friend did. It's not necessary, but it's a good idea for many people.

Second of all, how many applicants have a professor at the law school willing to make a personal phone recommendation? I'm pretty sure that's why your friend got in, not some amazing Why Harvard paragraph in their PS.


Yes, people on TLS regularly advise against "wasting" space in your PS on Why HYS, especially H since they have the hard 2 page limit. The general wisdom is that HYS already know why. Nor did I say, her "why" got her in but just that it didn't disqualify her or put a black mark on her, since she couldn't afford such a thing. For her it made sense, for others it might not.

But whatever, you seem to have missed the point entirely of what I was saying, which is that there shouldn't be a "why" dogma. If you have good reason, go for it. If you don't, probably best not to. If you want to put something in your PS that makes sense for you, go for it. As long as you are crafting a compelling, complete picture of who you are as an applicant and why you make a good addition to the law school in question, the exact format of how you go about doing so is up to you. Know who you are as an applicant and craft that picture in the head of the adcom, using the potential tools you have at your disposal as effectively as possible.

Waste of space != black mark. And it probably was a waste of space for your friend. Why would you tack on a paragraph about a professor who is giving a personal recommendation?

User avatar
paul34
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby paul34 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:55 pm

.
Last edited by paul34 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

addy11
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby addy11 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:59 pm

No. The date has changed every day for me since Nov. 1, and I still can't get into the Admitted Students Website

User avatar
baconpuffs
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby baconpuffs » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:10 pm

erikjc wrote:For people who have been accepted, are most of you ED or just early RD applicants?

RD, applied 10/08

hdsoc
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby hdsoc » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:19 pm

baconpuffs wrote:
erikjc wrote:For people who have been accepted, are most of you ED or just early RD applicants?

RD, applied 10/08


RD, applied end of Sept.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:20 pm

rachelwang712 wrote:Do you think I should submit a why Michi?

I know it is highly recommended. but there is nothing particular about Michi that I could say in my essay and I am not an American, which means I have no idea of culture and people there.
My stats are good, 171+superior GPA. but my writing might not be as good as native speakers. so i am worried that this why Michi essay will expose my weakness even more.


I don't think you should do it. Your stats are good. They should know you're not from the area so you want to go to the best American school you can and probably assume you're going off the rankings.

One thing that I have read recently in an interview with one of the deans (not Michigan but of a T14) is that if you're not a native English speaker they scrutinize your English writing skills to make sure they're not going to be a detriment to your law school career.

That being said, if you think an extra essay would expose weaknesses not evident in your Personal Statement then don't do it.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:59 pm

vincanity1 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Did my daily routine to see whether I could access the ASW page -- still no luck.


Looks like the three of us are in the same pile.

User avatar
T00L
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby T00L » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:03 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Did my daily routine to see whether I could access the ASW page -- still no luck.


Looks like the three of us are in the same pile.


four

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:32 pm

T00L wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Did my daily routine to see whether I could access the ASW page -- still no luck.


Looks like the three of us are in the same pile.


four


Five

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:35 pm

T00l and JoeMo, did you both apply September 15th as well? That's why we said we're in the same pile.

User avatar
GerardC3
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby GerardC3 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:45 pm

RD applied 10/3




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AustinLu, lazarzhr and 15 guests