Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MumofCad

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:49 am

JoeMo wrote:
hyakku wrote:Applied recently, hopeful to get in as Mich. is a top choice tied with Columbia.

With the lawyers club being closed this year, does anyone know if there will be a similar setup or temporary arrangement that serves its purpose? Or has it already reopened? I looked around but no one seems to have asked this, but maybe I'm early.

It's on their website, there is housing but I think it's one of the apartment buildings in town that they leased out.

We discussed this earlier if you scan back as well. They understand its importance to the Michigan experience, so its not going by the wayside for the renovation :)

avemundi

Postby avemundi » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:51 am

The only action I'm seeing is that the date on my status checker changes every day (i.e - Last Updated: November 14th)........Status is still at complete. Any idea what this means? (if it means anything at all)

curiousgeorgia

Postby curiousgeorgia » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:58 am

avemundi wrote:The only action I'm seeing is that the date on my status checker changes every day (i.e - Last Updated: November 14th)........Status is still at complete. Any idea what this means? (if it means anything at all)

Either in the e-mail or on the status checker itself it says that they update a few times a week, but the actual status will only change if there has been progress. So the change in dates with no change in status just means that they are updating the system, but your application is still at the same place. This is not good, or bad, it just is the way Michigan does things.

avemundi

Postby avemundi » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:42 am

curiousgeorgia wrote:
avemundi wrote:The only action I'm seeing is that the date on my status checker changes every day (i.e - Last Updated: November 14th)........Status is still at complete. Any idea what this means? (if it means anything at all)

Either in the e-mail or on the status checker itself it says that they update a few times a week, but the actual status will only change if there has been progress. So the change in dates with no change in status just means that they are updating the system, but your application is still at the same place. This is not good, or bad, it just is the way Michigan does things.

Ohhh, got it. Thanks a bunch for the info!

rachelwang712

Postby rachelwang712 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:49 am

Do you think I should submit a why Michi?

I know it is highly recommended. but there is nothing particular about Michi that I could say in my essay and I am not an American, which means I have no idea of culture and people there.
My stats are good, 171+superior GPA. but my writing might not be as good as native speakers. so i am worried that this why Michi essay will expose my weakness even more.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:02 pm

rachelwang712 wrote:Do you think I should submit a why Michi?

I know it is highly recommended. but there is nothing particular about Michi that I could say in my essay and I am not an American, which means I have no idea of culture and people there.
My stats are good, 171+superior GPA. but my writing might not be as good as native speakers. so i am worried that this why Michi essay will expose my weakness even more.

I think you should do it.

1) They will know you're not a native speaker and judge the writing accordingly, no?

2) There are lots of people on TLS who will help you proofread your essay.

3) Just FYI, it's typically abbreviated as Mich or UMich, not Michi.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:13 pm

You should really write one of the optional essays. I didn't because I added a Why Michigan section to me PS and didn't want to engage in overkill, but you need to do one of those two things really.

The concerns you raise should not be applicable about culture/language in a law school app. You really need to have someone who is a native English-speaker and American read all of your law school apps. It can be tough getting in as an international candidate and others will have taken this step even if they are native speakers. You should not be submitting rough drafts that show English flaws, international candidate or not. There are plenty of editting services and people here on TLS that will help you edit (PM me if need be) :)

thestillpoint

Postby thestillpoint » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:17 pm

I totally agree with the above posters, and I would also be happy to help edit your Why Mich. Another advantage of doing these "Why X's" is that you tend to find a lot of really awesome reasons why you'd be happy at that law school. I know this was true for me with Michigan in particular-- it's now by far one of my top choices after having looked into it to write my Why Mich!

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:19 pm

MumofCad wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
hyakku wrote:Applied recently, hopeful to get in as Mich. is a top choice tied with Columbia.

With the lawyers club being closed this year, does anyone know if there will be a similar setup or temporary arrangement that serves its purpose? Or has it already reopened? I looked around but no one seems to have asked this, but maybe I'm early.

It's on their website, there is housing but I think it's one of the apartment buildings in town that they leased out.

We discussed this earlier if you scan back as well. They understand its importance to the Michigan experience, so its not going by the wayside for the renovation :)

Nice, thanks. Yea, I was lurking before when I saw it as I was writing my why Mich and touched briefly on it. I find tls has a really clunky search though, I've tried searching a couple of time and came up empty, and I can't figure out how to in thread search.

In any case, extremely excited now that my Mich app is in. Would love to hear back before the year ends; if Mich was my only LS acceptance id be ecstatic. Good luck all

rachelwang712

Postby rachelwang712 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:24 pm

Thank you for the input. I think I will write one and try to polish it as much as i could.

btw, as far as i know, Mich is the only school that puts special weight on why X essay. right? For eg, if I dont have much to say about other schools such as Duke, it is ok I dont submit the essay. correct me if it is not the case.

rachelwang712

Postby rachelwang712 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:26 pm

and a quick question, how long should the Why Mich essay be? one page? or less?

soj

Postby soj » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:30 pm

rachelwang712 wrote:and a quick question, how long should the Why Mich essay be? one page? or less?

yes, one page or less

thelong

Postby thelong » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:33 pm

No status checker, but the admin office got back to me and let me know that my app went complete last tuesday, so I'm in the clear for my ED.

Submitted 10/31, Complete 11/8.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:34 pm

thelong wrote:No status checker, but the admin office got back to me and let me know that my app went complete last tuesday, so I'm in the clear for my ED.

This may be (eta: is likely) true for me then.
--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by UnamSanctam on Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soj

Postby soj » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:34 pm

thelong wrote:No status checker, but the admin office got back to me and let me know that my app went complete last tuesday, so I'm in the clear for my ED.

Nice! :mrgreen:

thelong

Postby thelong » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:34 pm

soj wrote:

Nice! :mrgreen:

Yeah, definitely a nice load off my mind.

addy11

Postby addy11 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:43 pm

rachelwang712 wrote:Thank you for the input. I think I will write one and try to polish it as much as i could.

btw, as far as i know, Mich is the only school that puts special weight on why X essay. right? For eg, if I dont have much to say about other schools such as Duke, it is ok I dont submit the essay. correct me if it is not the case.

It seems that of the typical "Why X?" schools (Penn, Virginia, Michigan, Duke), the order of importance is Michigan > Virginia >> Penn >>> Duke (feel free to disagree. this is a very inexact, anecdotal, unverifiable assessment). Also there are nuances... Michigan seems to want you to put forward a good reason, while Virginia seems to just check whether you wrote one to see whether you will be wait listed or not.

soj wrote:
rachelwang712 wrote:and a quick question, how long should the Why Mich essay be? one page? or less?

yes, one page or less

I disagree with this. There are only two hard and fast rules: concision is always valued, and obey the explicit limits placed by each school.

For instance: Penn says less than a page, so you should really never exceed that one page. Michigan and Duke, however, say "about a page." You should always try to be concise, and probably shouldn't even be at 1.5 pages, but 1 page + 3 lines is consistent with their parameters, and if you think your essay needs that much space, then go for it.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:51 pm

rachelwang712 wrote:Thank you for the input. I think I will write one and try to polish it as much as i could.

I think people generally feel like it depends on your numbers. If you are a borderline candidate, it can be good to let the school know what you may have to offer its program in terms of your background and that you really feel that it is the place for you in a well-thought out way. If you are well above their numbers and worried about not getting in, it can be a good idea at any of them to let them know that you took special time with your app and thus have a genuine interest or chance of attending if they admit you. I don't think its determinate anywhere, but if executed properly, I think it adds a nice cap to your application.

Also, people generally don't write them for HYS, BUT I have a friend who used the last 1/4 of her Harvard PS to explain why Harvard was the place for her and she got in with numbers that were usually auto-reject. This runs contrary to standard TLS dogma, but I think she had particularly compelling reasons since the programs/Prof she mentioned also put in a call on her behalf. So there isn't per se a "right" way. It depends on the person and their interests. If you really can't think of anything that would make it a good fit for you....you might want to look at more law schools to find one that fits your interests and career goals better. Applying to Duke over a slightly less highly-ranked school is not going to matter too much, especially if you get money a little further down the ranking and have specific interests in going to law school.

hdsoc

Postby hdsoc » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:59 pm

I actually disagree with some of the logic here. I think Michigan (or UVA or NW) would assume that a borderline candidate would be interested in them, but candidates who would be more likely to attend HLS or Columbia might want to write essays to avoid getting yield protected.

I just got accepted to Michigan w/ no supplemental essays, and I'm a pretty serious splitter. On the other hand, the essays don't take that long and they don't *hurt* you, so you may as well do it.

rachelwang712

Postby rachelwang712 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:10 pm

Thank you for the great posts. They really give me an idea of what to do. I read some article about Why X essay. it seems that T6 do not need one and safety schools. So I guess it leaves me Michigan, Duke, Cornell, UC Berkeley and UV. So it is better that I write for each of the five?

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:12 pm

MumofCad wrote:

I think people generally feel like it depends on your numbers. If you are a borderline candidate, it can be good to let the school know what you may have to offer its program in terms of your background and that you really feel that it is the place for you in a well-thought out way. If you are well above their numbers and worried about not getting in, it can be a good idea at any of them to let them know that you took special time with your app and thus have a genuine interest or chance of attending if they admit you. I don't think its determinate anywhere, but if executed properly, I think it adds a nice cap to your application.

Also, people generally don't write them for HYS, BUT I have a friend who used the last 1/4 of her Harvard PS to explain why Harvard was the place for her and she got in with numbers that were usually auto-reject. This runs contrary to standard TLS dogma, but I think she had particularly compelling reasons since the programs/Prof she mentioned also put in a call on her behalf. So there isn't per se a "right" way. It depends on the person and their interests. If you really can't think of anything that would make it a good fit for you....you might want to look at more law schools to find one that fits your interests and career goals better. Applying to Duke over a slightly less highly-ranked school is not going to matter too much, especially if you get money a little further down the ranking and have specific interests in going to law school.

I don't think your example goes against TLS wisdom. First of all, the wisdom is to not write a separate Why X for YHS. I don't think I've ever seen anyone counsel against incorporating Why X into your PS, which is what your friend did. It's not necessary, but it's a good idea for many people.

Second of all, how many applicants have a professor at the law school willing to make a personal phone recommendation? I'm pretty sure that's why your friend got in, not some amazing Why Harvard paragraph in their PS.

foxylaxy

Postby foxylaxy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:12 pm

In via ASW 11/12.

Today, 11/14, status changed to "decision."

Note, for everyone in on ASW: "We have reached a decision on your application and you will receive a written decision soon. Please wait 10 to 14 days from the time you first see this message to receive your written decision before contacting the Admissions Office."

Stats:
took LSAT twice, 164 first time, 171 second time.
GPA: 3.5
Sent: 9/19/11
Complete: 10/19/11

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:13 pm

rachelwang712 wrote:Thank you for the great posts. They really give me an idea of what to do. I read some article about Why X essay. it seems that T6 do not need one and safety schools. So I guess it leaves me Michigan, Duke, Cornell, UC Berkeley and UV. So it is better that I write for each of the five?

Go for it! All it takes is a little time.

pdftlvson

Postby pdftlvson » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:15 pm

In today via ASW!!!!

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:15 pm

foxylaxy wrote:In via ASW 11/12.

Today, 11/14, status changed to "decision."

Note, for everyone in on ASW: "We have reached a decision on your application and you will receive a written decision soon. Please wait 10 to 14 days from the time you first see this message to receive your written decision before contacting the Admissions Office."

Stats:
took LSAT twice, 164 first time, 171 second time.
GPA: 3.5
Sent: 9/19/11
Complete: 10/19/11

My numbers are remarkably similar, sweet.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”