Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
UnamSanctam

Platinum

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by UnamSanctam » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Yeah, my Why Mich was pretty vanilla except for the parts about my ties to the region.

hobojarpen

Bronze

Post by hobojarpen » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:02 pm

Debating between whether I should send in a LOCI in response to this email or wait until I'm waitlisted (a risk) to send it in. I'm heavily leaning towards the former.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:03 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:Yeah, my Why Mich was pretty vanilla except for the parts about my ties to the region.
Your why mich makes old men cry...

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:04 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:Yeah, my Why Mich was pretty vanilla except for the parts about my ties to the region.
Your why mich makes old men cry...
And wymyn.

Smumps

Bronze

Post by Smumps » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:04 pm

I'm so confused with how to respond to this. I sent in a Why Michigan last week, and they added it to my file on the 5th of January. Obviously, they don't want to be sent 500 repetitive things, so it seems like I should hold off on a LOCI. But I want them to know how much I want to be there! Ahhh.

Michigan, if you are reading this - I want you. Want me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:06 pm

Smumps wrote:I'm so confused with how to respond to this. I sent in a Why Michigan last week, and they added it to my file on the 5th of January. Obviously, they don't want to be sent 500 repetitive things, so it seems like I should hold off on a LOCI. But I want them to know how much I want to be there! Ahhh.

Michigan, if you are reading this - I want you. Want me.
Give it a while and craft a compelling LOCI.

lemon7

New

Post by lemon7 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:09 pm

I applied the second week of December and still haven't received my status checker. Is this typical? Is anyone else who applied in December still waiting on his/her status checker? I realize it's only been a month, so maybe I'm just being impatient or anxious.

lagirl

New

Post by lagirl » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:10 pm

lemon7 wrote:I applied the second week of December and still haven't received my status checker. Is this typical? Is anyone else who applied in December still waiting on his/her status checker? I realize it's only been a month, so maybe I'm just being impatient or anxious.
Same situation. I think we just have to wait.

Green Glass Windows

Silver

Post by Green Glass Windows » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:13 pm

lagirl wrote:
lemon7 wrote:I applied the second week of December and still haven't received my status checker. Is this typical? Is anyone else who applied in December still waiting on his/her status checker? I realize it's only been a month, so maybe I'm just being impatient or anxious.
Yeah, I applied at the very end of November and just got mine last week. Yours will be coming soon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lemon7

New

Post by lemon7 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:16 pm

Green Glass Windows wrote:
lagirl wrote:
Yeah, I applied at the very end of November and just got mine last week. Yours will be coming soon.
Great. Thanks!

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:20 pm

Definitely looks to me like those with stronger numbers got the email regardless of submit date. Strange, maybe it indicates making it past some sort of round 1 of screening?

Not that I got the email :(

gatorapplicant

Bronze

Post by gatorapplicant » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:47 pm

i'm a little late to this party, but i got the email today as well. i was actually excited bc i figured it was surely a rejection at this point (applied late september). i'll be working on a why michigan and keeping my fingers crossed

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:08 am

got the email, also responded to the google doc thing

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UtilityMonster

Bronze

Post by UtilityMonster » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:44 am

Of the supplemental essays on the application, is it best to write the Why Michigan essay, or is no essay better than another? And is it imperative that you write 2 essays?

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:51 am

UtilityMonster wrote:Of the supplemental essays on the application, is it best to write the Why Michigan essay, or is no essay better than another? And is it imperative that you write 2 essays?
If you're going to write two essays, I'd recommend one of them be a Why Michigan. If you can't muster a Why Michigan, though, better to do 2 other essays. And it's not necessary to write two. I only wrote a Why Michigan.

curiouscat

Bronze

Post by curiouscat » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:40 am

I got the email today too. I didn't read anything into it (I thought it was just a "don't worry, we'll get to you" email) until I came here and saw the shitstorm that was going on in this thread. I'm going to send a LOCI, but does it matter if I wait a couple of weeks (vs sending in the next few days)?

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:11 am

Looking at the data for those who got the email, it would seem those that did are in good company, whereas those who did not appear to mostly have lower numbers with few exceptions (white guy). My hope is that it means a decision for those who did not get an email will be rendered soon, ideally a favorable one, though that's probably overly optimistic.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:27 am

EMZE wrote:Looking at the data for those who got the email, it would seem those that did are in good company, whereas those who did not appear to mostly have lower numbers with few exceptions (white guy). My hope is that it means a decision for those who did not get an email will be rendered soon, ideally a favorable one, though that's probably overly optimistic.
does the data seem to account for application sent date?
Thank you for your application to the University of Michigan Law School. Because you went to the effort of applying early in the admissions season, we are concerned that you may feel some disappointment at not having received your answer yet. We understand the anxiety that the law school admissions
not sure if you've seen/got the email, but this seems to imply later applicants shouldn't be getting the email regardless of their numbers, and early applicants should..

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:32 am

horrorbusiness wrote:
EMZE wrote:Looking at the data for those who got the email, it would seem those that did are in good company, whereas those who did not appear to mostly have lower numbers with few exceptions (white guy). My hope is that it means a decision for those who did not get an email will be rendered soon, ideally a favorable one, though that's probably overly optimistic.
Thank you for your application to the University of Michigan Law School. Because you went to the effort of applying early in the admissions season, we are concerned that you may feel some disappointment at not having received your answer yet. We understand the anxiety that the law school admissions
not sure if you've seen/got the email, but this seems to imply later applicants shouldn't be getting the email regardless of their numbers, and early applicants should..
People with late December status checkers got the email as per that spreadsheet. I am an 11/22 checker recipient absent an email. Granted, there are those who got the email whose numbers would not indicate they are competitive but my perception of it is that a decision has been rendered and we are due for that first upcoming round of Dingsss, and last year 1/10 was the day for those to be released
Last edited by EMZE on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:36 am

EMZE wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:
People with late December status checkers got the email as per that spreadsheet. I am an 11/22 checker recipient absent an email. Granted, there are those who got the email whose numbers would not indicate the are competitive but I my perception of it is that a decision has been rendered and we are due for that first upcoming round of Dingsss
ah i see. i'm not gonna pretend i know what that email means, but i suppose you'd be reasonable to expect a decision soon, one way or the other. best of luck!!

clarion

Bronze

Post by clarion » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:38 am

EMZE wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:
People with late December status checkers got the email as per that spreadsheet. I am an 11/22 checker recipient absent an email. Granted, there are those who got the email whose numbers would not indicate they are competitive but my perception of it is that a decision has been rendered and we are due for that first upcoming round of Dingsss, and last year 1/10 was the day for those to be released
Yeah also an 11/22 here and regardless of whether or not I'm a URM, I feel my stats along with the absence of a Why Mich would lead me to believe that I might be (over)due for my first rejection of the cycle. But until then! I'll pretend that I believe no news is good news :roll: lol and best of luck to everyone, especially my fellow email-less people! :P

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Onthebrink

Bronze

Post by Onthebrink » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:49 am

I still think that this is actually a case of Mich just being so ridiculously nice that we just can't handle it haha. I actually believe that this was nothing more than a "thinking of you text." Michigan is just a great significant other.

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:05 am

Onthebrink wrote:I still think that this is actually a case of Mich just being so ridiculously nice that we just can't handle it haha. I actually believe that this was nothing more than a "thinking of you text." Michigan is just a great significant other.
Just to add to this: Michigan's staff has been the most helpful and thoughtful out of all the schools this year. The Dean's awesomeness definitely rubs off on everybody else there.

Now let me in Michigan! :P

TMC116

Bronze

Post by TMC116 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:41 am

So apparently the email didn't mean anything...because I got in this morning via status checker.

No worries guys

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:44 am

TMC116 wrote:So apparently the email didn't mean anything...because I got in this morning via status checker.

No worries guys
:lol: Good job! Congrats!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”