Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BuckinghamB

Bronze

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by BuckinghamB » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:27 am

Wait. Why the hell would you email them whining about not getting a decision? Wait like everyone else. If you want to show interest after you've sent in an app, write a LOCI if you've been WLed.
TCR.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:01 am

In via ASW - sooooo thrilled!! I told myself I'd wait to get a packet in the mail, but checked every morning anyway. So nice to finally see that beautiful blue page instead of that red lettering :) Really really stoked.

Anyone planning on a visit this fall? I'd need to fly in, but I'm seriously considering it. I've been mulling over making a final decision by Christmas on where to go and realized that its very difficult to choose for me between potential options. I feel like a visit to the schools would clear things up. I know for my undergrad that was totally the case. I actually went to DC on an athletic visit to another school, didn't like it, arranged on my "free time" due to my mother's encouragement to visit another of the DC schools and knew 2 hours later I needed to get my coach to get in contact with that coach, because that is where I wanted to be (needless to say, school 1 was not terribly happy - AWKWARD). It was such a good decision though. I am hoping law school visits will offer that same moment, where I just KNOW where I need to be.

LOVE that the ASW has a section for students with children. Is this normal for law schools? Because this is huge for me and very considerate of them.

Also, for those still waiting, did you put that you'd start either term? Noticed mine said summer start and I think others had the same. I checked either, because I am hoping to be ready by then and liked the option of getting a jump start potentially. I'm not positive it will work out. Anyhow, I remember seeing awhile back on a blog posting that they sometimes review those applications separately from others (because it messes up LSAC somehow, so she was clarifying).

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:24 am

Congrats Mum!! Michigan would definitely be worth a visit and I'm sure you'd be a potential scholarship candidate!

I'm still waiting, and I did only select fall term, I'll still be working through the summer. So maybe that's it *shrug*

tdicks

Bronze

Post by tdicks » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:00 am

just submitted my application! very excited/nervous about hearing back.... congrats to everyone who's already in!! hopefully i'll be joining your ranks in the not too distant future!

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:10 am

MumofCad wrote:In via ASW - sooooo thrilled!! I told myself I'd wait to get a packet in the mail, but checked every morning anyway. So nice to finally see that beautiful blue page instead of that red lettering :) Really really stoked.

Anyone planning on a visit this fall? I'd need to fly in, but I'm seriously considering it. I've been mulling over making a final decision by Christmas on where to go and realized that its very difficult to choose for me between potential options. I feel like a visit to the schools would clear things up. I know for my undergrad that was totally the case. I actually went to DC on an athletic visit to another school, didn't like it, arranged on my "free time" due to my mother's encouragement to visit another of the DC schools and knew 2 hours later I needed to get my coach to get in contact with that coach, because that is where I wanted to be (needless to say, school 1 was not terribly happy - AWKWARD). It was such a good decision though. I am hoping law school visits will offer that same moment, where I just KNOW where I need to be.

LOVE that the ASW has a section for students with children. Is this normal for law schools? Because this is huge for me and very considerate of them.

Also, for those still waiting, did you put that you'd start either term? Noticed mine said summer start and I think others had the same. I checked either, because I am hoping to be ready by then and liked the option of getting a jump start potentially. I'm not positive it will work out. Anyhow, I remember seeing awhile back on a blog posting that they sometimes review those applications separately from others (because it messes up LSAC somehow, so she was clarifying).
Congrats!

That's interesting about the summer start. I only checked for Fall as I will be away until then (getting married, actually) so I wonder if that may be why some of us haven't heard back yet. I hope it won't negatively impact my application...hmm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:12 am

elibrarian wrote:
MumofCad wrote:In via ASW - sooooo thrilled!! I told myself I'd wait to get a packet in the mail, but checked every morning anyway. So nice to finally see that beautiful blue page instead of that red lettering :) Really really stoked.

Congrats!

That's interesting about the summer start. I only checked for Fall as I will be away until then (getting married, actually) so I wonder if that may be why some of us haven't heard back yet. I hope it won't negatively impact my application...hmm.
Congrats Mum! I also picked fall only and haven't heard yet.

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:29 am

Boy there's a lot of loose seals in this thread.

j12

Bronze

Post by j12 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:30 am

Pretty sure I applied for Fall only. I don't have my packet with me, but is there somewhere I can check on the ASW that will say if I'm fall or summer?

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:36 am

elibrarian wrote:
Congrats!

Congrats on the wedding! Yeah, I think they are admitting people everyday, but it would make sense to get the summer starts busted out first.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:38 am

I don't know, I got in a few days ago and I applied only for fall. I am not sure they are doing it that way, but it could be!

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:39 am

j12 wrote:Pretty sure I applied for Fall only. I don't have my packet with me, but is there somewhere I can check on the ASW that will say if I'm fall or summer?
Yeah, I couldn't remember either. But if you check down on the left hand side the big button that says "Mail & (something else)" - then click...oh, I can't remember but I think its pretty apparent after that step what you need to click (like mailings again). Its a page with your name, mailings that have been sent out. One of the pieces of information is the Class and mine says Spring/Summer 2012 start.

Sounds like its random though. They are just letting people in as they go through the big ole pile.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:52 am

basilseal wrote:Boy there's a lot of loose seals in this thread.
Can't let this go unappreciated.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:53 am

There are a pretty decent number of married students and students with children at Michigan. If you want to PM me when you are planning on visiting I'm sure I could organize an opportunity to talk to a 1L w/ kid(s).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:07 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:

There are a pretty decent number of married students and students with children at Michigan. If you want to PM me when you are planning on visiting I'm sure I could organize an opportunity to talk to a 1L w/ kid(s).
Thanks! Its such a major endeavor for me to take the law school leap this year, since my oldest will need to start kindergarten. In my day, that was a fairly easy process whereby you just went to whatever school was near your house. Nowadays though, public school is a maze of lotteries and magnet schools even for the 5-year-old crowd. Its mind boggling and really hard to research from websites, so its nice they have a resource center to answer questions. I guess its probably less of a problem in AA, but in some towns, there is a serious concern with the safety of the school that jumps out at me. They place the best magnet programs in the most struggling areas to try and attract in higher-scoring kids. Really, I sometimes feel like choosing a law school that is a good fit for me is much easier than choosing a safe, productive environment for my 5 year old. Its incredible. And its always easier to decide for oneself what is best, than to have to make decisions for someone else. I'd much rather suffer for a poor choice, than to see my son suffer for a choice I made.

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:20 am

Samara wrote:
basilseal wrote:Boy there's a lot of loose seals in this thread.
Can't let this go unappreciated.
Thanks, Samara.

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:40 am

Does anyone know if the ASW access comes in multiple waves throughout the day or is it a once a day type thing (like their status checker)?

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:42 am

RonnyDworkin wrote:Does anyone know if the ASW access comes in multiple waves throughout the day or is it a once a day type thing (like their status checker)?
I thought someone said it seemed to update at midnight or something each day.

Someone else said though that the status checker updates to a new date once a day, which means it won't be ticking over to anything new that day, around 11 AM

So I'm not sure. I checked at the end of the day yesterday, like 8 PM EST and I was still seeing red. Then this morning at like 7:30 EST I checked again and blue. It seems like it went over in the middle of the night, or they are working some serious hours.

ETA: Like most others, my status checker still says "complete"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:00 pm

RonnyDworkin wrote:Does anyone know if the ASW access comes in multiple waves throughout the day or is it a once a day type thing (like their status checker)?
I'm pretty sure it's tied to the same process that updates the status checkers...so once per night. It seems to automatically mine their updates once per day and then act on those (updating statuses, granting access, etc).

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:02 pm

MumofCad wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:

Thanks! Its such a major endeavor for me to take the law school leap this year, since my oldest will need to start kindergarten. In my day, that was a fairly easy process whereby you just went to whatever school was near your house. Nowadays though, public school is a maze of lotteries and magnet schools even for the 5-year-old crowd. Its mind boggling and really hard to research from websites, so its nice they have a resource center to answer questions. I guess its probably less of a problem in AA, but in some towns, there is a serious concern with the safety of the school that jumps out at me. They place the best magnet programs in the most struggling areas to try and attract in higher-scoring kids. Really, I sometimes feel like choosing a law school that is a good fit for me is much easier than choosing a safe, productive environment for my 5 year old. Its incredible. And its always easier to decide for oneself what is best, than to have to make decisions for someone else. I'd much rather suffer for a poor choice, than to see my son suffer for a choice I made.
AA has great schools FWIW. I'm not sure they play the lottery game as a result. It's one of the most educated cities in the US and it shows in the kids.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:02 pm

MumofCad wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:

AA has great schools FWIW. I'm not sure they play the lottery game as a result. It's one of the most educated cities in the US and it shows in the kids.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:10 pm

App submitted!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:34 pm

blowhard wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's tied to the same process that updates the status checkers...so once per night. It seems to automatically mine their updates once per day and then act on those (updating statuses, granting access, etc).
This is good to know. It means I only have to check once a day -- in the morning when I wake up, lol.

Congrats moc. Still getting the red lettering here.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:37 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
blowhard wrote:
This is good to know. It means I only have to check once a day -- in the morning when I wake up, lol.

It will change. I feel confident by Thanksgiving, you'll be seeing blue :) Its miserable though, I know, to wait. Like I said, I reassured myself daily not to check every day but it was futile.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:41 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote: This is good to know. It means I only have to check once a day -- in the morning when I wake up, lol.

Me too. Really itching for that first acceptance.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:09 pm

Congrats on the absolute awesomeness of your cycle!

And wow, by Christmas, you are not joking.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”