UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Curious1 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:25 pm

ncterp wrote:IN at UVA, RD, received the "enjoy fall" email, received email to call the school.


Nice. Any day now...

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:33 pm

madvillain wrote:Thanks everyone! I'm really grateful to UVA, honestly, even though I do have pretty good numbers. I'm not taking any school for granted, much less HYS. I wish the best for all of you fellow applicants. MumofCad in particular, I sincerely hope that UVA will up their offer for you soon, because you definitely deserve it way more than me, haha. Good luck to everyone again. =)


Hahaha - thanks! I wouldn't say that though! It'd be really strange is they upped an offer. I'd be utterly confused. It was weird enough to get a random letter in the mail 6 weeks after acceptance. I was evenly split between 4 vastly different options at the beginning of the cycle and I knew that some of the schools would just make the decision for me. As long as they all don't, it will actually make my life much easier come 2012.

User avatar
runplaystudy
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:05 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby runplaystudy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:37 pm

BREAKING NEWS

My friend got waitlisted after applying ED earlier in the cycle... and he got in today?!?

FORGET EVERYTHING YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW!!!

hahaha I'm sooo glad that I'm already in and I don't have to worry about WTF is going on in Charlottesville right now.

ihhwap1
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:37 pm

.

Postby ihhwap1 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:39 pm

.
Last edited by ihhwap1 on Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Curious1 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:39 pm

runplaystudy wrote:BREAKING NEWS

My friend got waitlisted after applying ED earlier in the cycle... and he got in today?!?

FORGET EVERYTHING YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW!!!

hahaha I'm sooo glad that I'm already in and I don't have to worry about WTF is going on in Charlottesville right now.


WTF? EARLIER than even October? What's happening over there? Are they actually throwing darts at the applications?

User avatar
Yeshia90
Posts: 988
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Yeshia90 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:40 pm

runplaystudy wrote:BREAKING NEWS

My friend got waitlisted after applying ED earlier in the cycle... and he got in today?!?

FORGET EVERYTHING YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW!!!

hahaha I'm sooo glad that I'm already in and I don't have to worry about WTF is going on in Charlottesville right now.


Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelawyler » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:52 pm

Curious1 wrote:
runplaystudy wrote:BREAKING NEWS

My friend got waitlisted after applying ED earlier in the cycle... and he got in today?!?

FORGET EVERYTHING YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW!!!

hahaha I'm sooo glad that I'm already in and I don't have to worry about WTF is going on in Charlottesville right now.


WTF? EARLIER than even October? What's happening over there? Are they actually throwing darts at the applications?


Maybe somebody who vetoed him got sick today and they decided to make the decision when they were away from work. Nothing makes sense.

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby freestallion » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:55 pm

So... we're having waitlist movement in November? Lol. UVA, you are crazy.

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Curious1 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:57 pm

thelawyler wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
runplaystudy wrote:BREAKING NEWS

My friend got waitlisted after applying ED earlier in the cycle... and he got in today?!?

FORGET EVERYTHING YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW!!!

hahaha I'm sooo glad that I'm already in and I don't have to worry about WTF is going on in Charlottesville right now.


WTF? EARLIER than even October? What's happening over there? Are they actually throwing darts at the applications?


Maybe somebody who vetoed him got sick today and they decided to make the decision when they were away from work. Nothing makes sense.


I didn't even know you could get waitlisted that early. I think what you meant was he was HELD for RD right?

User avatar
runplaystudy
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:05 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby runplaystudy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:08 pm

Curious1 wrote:
thelawyler wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
runplaystudy wrote:BREAKING NEWS

My friend got waitlisted after applying ED earlier in the cycle... and he got in today?!?

FORGET EVERYTHING YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW!!!

hahaha I'm sooo glad that I'm already in and I don't have to worry about WTF is going on in Charlottesville right now.


WTF? EARLIER than even October? What's happening over there? Are they actually throwing darts at the applications?


Maybe somebody who vetoed him got sick today and they decided to make the decision when they were away from work. Nothing makes sense.


I didn't even know you could get waitlisted that early. I think what you meant was he was HELD for RD right?


I just texted him about it but he def said waitlist. I'll letcha know.

I think it would be weirder if they held him for RD and then let him in like a month later, but I guess we're in uncharted waters here...

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:11 pm

runplaystudy wrote:BREAKING NEWS

My friend got waitlisted after applying ED earlier in the cycle... and he got in today?!?

FORGET EVERYTHING YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW!!!

hahaha I'm sooo glad that I'm already in and I don't have to worry about WTF is going on in Charlottesville right now.


Well....this seems like the best evidence to date that apps are down....UVA is known to rely very heavily on their ED applicants to make up the class.

Schola
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Schola » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:18 pm

MumofCad wrote:
runplaystudy wrote:BREAKING NEWS

My friend got waitlisted after applying ED earlier in the cycle... and he got in today?!?

FORGET EVERYTHING YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW!!!

hahaha I'm sooo glad that I'm already in and I don't have to worry about WTF is going on in Charlottesville right now.


Well....this seems like the best evidence to date that apps are down....UVA is known to rely very heavily on their ED applicants to make up the class.


Maybe they will start sending out letters up-ing scholarship offers early this year too!

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:33 pm

Schola wrote:
MumofCad wrote:
runplaystudy wrote:BREAKING NEWS

My friend got waitlisted after applying ED earlier in the cycle... and he got in today?!?

FORGET EVERYTHING YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW!!!

hahaha I'm sooo glad that I'm already in and I don't have to worry about WTF is going on in Charlottesville right now.


Well....this seems like the best evidence to date that apps are down....UVA is known to rely very heavily on their ED applicants to make up the class.


Maybe they will start sending out letters up-ing scholarship offers early this year too!


Well, anything is possible if they are accepting people off the WL in November. That is total insanity. But I still doubt it lol.

User avatar
annyong
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:17 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby annyong » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:15 pm

MumofCad wrote:
runplaystudy wrote:BREAKING NEWS

My friend got waitlisted after applying ED earlier in the cycle... and he got in today?!?

FORGET EVERYTHING YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW!!!

hahaha I'm sooo glad that I'm already in and I don't have to worry about WTF is going on in Charlottesville right now.


Well....this seems like the best evidence to date that apps are down....UVA is known to rely very heavily on their ED applicants to make up the class.

If this is a case of applications being down, maybe UVA knows they didn't get close to the usual # of ED applicants (its past that deadline, right?) so now they're squirming a bit about the potential class size so they've reduced the #s they're looking at? But this doesn't really make sense to me since there are still RD applicants to go through...but then I know little about what goes into the methods of their ED/RD/In-State/Out of State decision making in the first place...

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:23 pm

annyong wrote:
MumofCad wrote:
runplaystudy wrote:BREAKING NEWS

My friend got waitlisted after applying ED earlier in the cycle... and he got in today?!?

FORGET EVERYTHING YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW!!!

hahaha I'm sooo glad that I'm already in and I don't have to worry about WTF is going on in Charlottesville right now.


Well....this seems like the best evidence to date that apps are down....UVA is known to rely very heavily on their ED applicants to make up the class.

If this is a case of applications being down, maybe UVA knows they didn't get close to the usual # of ED applicants (its past that deadline, right?) so now they're squirming a bit about the potential class size so they've reduced the #s they're looking at? But this doesn't really make sense to me since there are still RD applicants to go through...but then I know little about what goes into the methods of their ED/RD/In-State/Out of State decision making in the first place...


Yeah, but they treat ED/RD as separate pools. ED applicants have to attend there. They are guaranteed matriculants. RD applicants, especially ones with high numbers, are more in the other category. Raising the number of matriculants does not = raising the number of RD admits unless they are people with target or lower numbers.

User avatar
annyong
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:17 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby annyong » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:35 pm

MumofCad wrote:
annyong wrote:
MumofCad wrote:
runplaystudy wrote:BREAKING NEWS

My friend got waitlisted after applying ED earlier in the cycle... and he got in today?!?

FORGET EVERYTHING YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW!!!

hahaha I'm sooo glad that I'm already in and I don't have to worry about WTF is going on in Charlottesville right now.


Well....this seems like the best evidence to date that apps are down....UVA is known to rely very heavily on their ED applicants to make up the class.

If this is a case of applications being down, maybe UVA knows they didn't get close to the usual # of ED applicants (its past that deadline, right?) so now they're squirming a bit about the potential class size so they've reduced the #s they're looking at? But this doesn't really make sense to me since there are still RD applicants to go through...but then I know little about what goes into the methods of their ED/RD/In-State/Out of State decision making in the first place...


Yeah, but they treat ED/RD as separate pools. ED applicants have to attend there. They are guaranteed matriculants. RD applicants, especially ones with high numbers, are more in the other category. Raising the number of matriculants does not = raising the number of RD admits unless they are people with target or lower numbers.

So that would support that a lower than expected number of applicants is making up their ED pool, so they're going back on people they already waitlisted, right?

Or, as someone else suggested, throwing darts...

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:51 pm

annyong wrote:So that would support that a lower than expected number of applicants is making up their ED pool, so they're going back on people they already waitlisted, right?

Or, as someone else suggested, throwing darts...


If accurate, yes, it would be the best evidence to date. WL don't get used until after seat deposits are due. Then they know how many they need to let in to fill the class.

Even if he was just held, it would indicate that they didn't get the post-Oct LSAT influx they were expecting. It may also be why alot of super good splitters aren't hearing back yet. Either way, ED is a much better indication of how schools are doing than RD admittances, and UVA has the highest percentage in its range of ED candidates that fill its class so its particularly telling for them. Though only one data point....it could just be growing pains from a change in the Dean.

User avatar
runplaystudy
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:05 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby runplaystudy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:51 pm

Curious1 wrote:
thelawyler wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
runplaystudy wrote:BREAKING NEWS

My friend got waitlisted after applying ED earlier in the cycle... and he got in today?!?

FORGET EVERYTHING YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW!!!

hahaha I'm sooo glad that I'm already in and I don't have to worry about WTF is going on in Charlottesville right now.


WTF? EARLIER than even October? What's happening over there? Are they actually throwing darts at the applications?


Maybe somebody who vetoed him got sick today and they decided to make the decision when they were away from work. Nothing makes sense.


I didn't even know you could get waitlisted that early. I think what you meant was he was HELD for RD right?


Nope, he was definitely on the waitlist.

FWIW, I was absolutely shocked when he got waitlisted. He was in-state and I only know his LSAT score but he went to an unbelievable school. His softs make me feel extremely inadequate... I almost think they were correcting an error? Or they saw the error in their ways at least haha.

ihhwap1
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:37 pm

.

Postby ihhwap1 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:11 pm

.
Last edited by ihhwap1 on Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:39 pm

ihhwap1 wrote:So maybe they made a mistake waitlisting him? Or maybe they're reading this forum right now and laughing at us.... UVA WHY DON'T YOU REALIZE HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU :(


The weirdest thing was when I posted that I didn't get emailed yet and I wasn't sure if they made a mistake with the scholarship they gave me, and 15 minutes later Faulk called me to make sure I was getting his emails that were going in my junk folder.

Big Brother is watching.

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:06 am

checking in

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelawyler » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:11 am

Yeah, I would totally stalk this thread if I was part of the admissions committee, too.

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sandwiches5000 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:49 am

sea15 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:If anyone is interested, this appears to be the only difference I can find on the status checker page after I was admitted:

Image

My guess is that you will get an email prior to this change, so take it for what it's worth.



Are all seat deposits $1000?!?!?! Do we need to budget for this? How many incoming 1Ls have $1000 laying around?!


Before you saw this update, did it start with $0.00 in each column?

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:56 am

sandwiches5000 wrote:
sea15 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:If anyone is interested, this appears to be the only difference I can find on the status checker page after I was admitted:

Image

My guess is that you will get an email prior to this change, so take it for what it's worth.



Are all seat deposits $1000?!?!?! Do we need to budget for this? How many incoming 1Ls have $1000 laying around?!


Before you saw this update, did it start with $0.00 in each column?


Mine has shown the $0.00 in each column since I went complete.

User avatar
vincanity1
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby vincanity1 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:11 pm

sandwiches5000 wrote:
sea15 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:If anyone is interested, this appears to be the only difference I can find on the status checker page after I was admitted:

Image

My guess is that you will get an email prior to this change, so take it for what it's worth.



Are all seat deposits $1000?!?!?! Do we need to budget for this? How many incoming 1Ls have $1000 laying around?!


Before you saw this update, did it start with $0.00 in each column?


Haha, yup




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, Baidu [Spider], Exabot [Bot], Lacepiece23, YANGYUEYU0817 and 6 guests