UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Blessedassurance

Gold

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by Blessedassurance » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:06 pm

freestallion wrote:
bleylaw wrote:trying to figure out the logic of these early uva admissions is so annoying. are they taking hys people and giving money to try to entice in these hard economic times? but then some people with sub-hys numbers are in too so what is it? lol
It's really strange. There were a few people early on above medians who got big schollys but since then they've been admitting random splitters and also people who are above medians with no seeming rhyme or reason... very odd..
The "random splitters" are mostly ED applicants.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:06 pm

MumofCad wrote:All that can really be told is:

1) A few weeks back, they let in a bunch of high-numbered people with large scholarships

2) Late last week they started letting in a more mixed bag of candidates - some with high numbers got scholarships and some just got in and some were big splitters.

So I think we can assume that the 'real' start of the admits has begun. Hopefully, Fridays will be good news days for a few more weeks at least.
I think we should add the qualification that these people all applied early September.

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:08 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
freestallion wrote:
bleylaw wrote:trying to figure out the logic of these early uva admissions is so annoying. are they taking hys people and giving money to try to entice in these hard economic times? but then some people with sub-hys numbers are in too so what is it? lol
It's really strange. There were a few people early on above medians who got big schollys but since then they've been admitting random splitters and also people who are above medians with no seeming rhyme or reason... very odd..
Yes, but there have been at least a couple in this thread who were RD. citykitty and someone else.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:10 pm

You know, there may not be any logic to the decisions at all. *runs out of thread*

bleylaw

New

Post by bleylaw » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:13 pm

freestallion wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
freestallion wrote:
Yes, but there have been at least a couple in this thread who were RD. citykitty and someone else.
nods head

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:16 pm

Curious1 wrote:
MumofCad wrote:All that can really be told is:

1) A few weeks back, they let in a bunch of high-numbered people with large scholarships

2) Late last week they started letting in a more mixed bag of candidates - some with high numbers got scholarships and some just got in and some were big splitters.

So I think we can assume that the 'real' start of the admits has begun. Hopefully, Fridays will be good news days for a few more weeks at least.
I think we should add the qualification that these people all applied early September.
Well obviously, because the decisions were issued in mid-October, but they weren't significant from other high number people who applied then. There were others at the same time who haven't heard back. And comparable number/app submitted time that were included in the second group. The first group was pretty uniform, the second group last week was pretty diverse. Makes it difficult to really tell much...

mickeyD

Bronze

Post by mickeyD » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:33 pm

tagged. good luck everyone!

runplaystudy

New

Post by runplaystudy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:19 pm

MAYBE we can't find a pattern in the statistics of admits because... they've been admitting people based on more than just stats! GASP!

It happens you know... they have to differentiate between applicants with similar stats somehow, after all.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:21 pm

runplaystudy wrote:MAYBE we can't find a pattern in the statistics of admits because... they've been admitting people based on more than just stats! GASP!

It happens you know... they have to differentiate between applicants with similar stats somehow, after all.
Maybe for the splitters, but for the people with numbers in the HYS range (mum, hawkeye etc.) they would've gotten in no matter what anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:23 pm

Curious1 wrote:
runplaystudy wrote:MAYBE we can't find a pattern in the statistics of admits because... they've been admitting people based on more than just stats! GASP!

Maybe for the splitters, but for the people with numbers in the HYS range (mum, hawkeye etc.) they would've gotten in no matter what anyway.
I think the point is more that they aren't just using a chart and a calendar to send out decisions, so it's silly to try to read a pattern into decision releases.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:25 pm

Samara wrote:
Curious1 wrote:

I think the point is more that they aren't just using a chart and a calendar to send out decisions, so it's silly to try to read a pattern into decision releases.
Right, especially since there ARE no patterns. Interesting questions: was there a pattern for the people who got those "have a nice Fall/here's a UG alum contact" emails? Were they sent out to people within a certain range of scores/GPAs or did most people get one?

bleylaw

New

Post by bleylaw » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:31 pm

Curious1 wrote:
Samara wrote:
Curious1 wrote:

Right, especially since there ARE no patterns. Interesting questions: was there a pattern for the people who got those "have a nice Fall/here's a UG alum contact" emails? Were they sent out to people within a certain range of scores/GPAs or did most people get one?
i thought the pattern was out of state people. everyone got one from someone from their state right?

and right, they seemed to like people who wrote a why uva essay and wanted money, thats not stats

ThomasMN

Bronze

Post by ThomasMN » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:43 pm

I received an email that linked me up with the president of their student's veterans group. A few people were also linked up with members from their UG that attended UVA Law. The real pattern seems to be that they were looking at potentially qualified candidates and linking them up with someone "similar" at UVA Law.

Another thing to realize is that UVA - as well as most of the T-14 - is going to get a lot of qualified candidates. They may simply be hitting up applications from high performers who applied early as well as candidates that caught their eye. They might be going alphabeticaly, chronologically, who knows. Personally, I think they are trying to make sure that they get a balanced class with similar 25th, 75th and median numbers as last year. They know that there is probably going to be a drop in applications this year and want to make sure they aren't burned. Honestly, they probably have a better yield rate admitting strong splitter candidates than throwing money at potential HYS/CCN students.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

runplaystudy

New

Post by runplaystudy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:51 pm

If it makes anyone feel better, I never got an email about connecting with a UVA student and I got in. Maybe they don't have anyone from New Hampshire to connect me with...?

Again with the patterns thing... it's kinda maddening and/or self defeating.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:40 pm

Any links to good info for a Why UVA?

anewaphorist

Bronze

Post by anewaphorist » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:55 pm

Hmm, I didn't submit a "Why UVA?" not because I didn't want to but because there was no place to upload it for me. I had an addendum to submit that was not C&F related, so then there was nowhere to upload a "Why UVA?" Unless, of course, someone wants to test their ire by attaching it under C&F...

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:01 pm

anewaphorist wrote:Hmm, I didn't submit a "Why UVA?" not because I didn't want to but because there was no place to upload it for me. I had an addendum to submit that was not C&F related, so then there was nowhere to upload a "Why UVA?" Unless, of course, someone wants to test their ire by attaching it under C&F...
this was the same issue for me. i had to include a gpa addend and that took that bonus space away. but i figured it was more important than the uva ego stroking would have been.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:02 pm

lrslayer wrote:
anewaphorist wrote:Hmm, I didn't submit a "Why UVA?" not because I didn't want to but because there was no place to upload it for me. I had an addendum to submit that was not C&F related, so then there was nowhere to upload a "Why UVA?" Unless, of course, someone wants to test their ire by attaching it under C&F...
this was the same issue for me. i had to include a gpa addend and that took that bonus space away. but i figured it was more important than the uva ego stroking would have been.
Some schools have said you can solve that problem by combining the two essays into one file and uploading it into the slot.

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:04 pm

Samara wrote:
lrslayer wrote:
Some schools have said you can solve that problem by combining the two essays into one file and uploading it into the slot.
someone had suggested that to me after i already applied. i have considered emailing one to them and asking that it be attached to my file. i did that with berkeley and it was not a problem.

KJG

New

Post by KJG » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:56 pm

applied ed tuesday. in on the 28th with 90k. Faulk said they would have given me a full ride but it would have made it impossible to use my g.i. bill which includes a living stipend. So in this case less is actually more. 90 will amount to a full ride for me. I am glad my ed worked out.

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:57 pm

KJG wrote:applied ed tuesday. in on the 28th with 90k. Faulk said they would have given me a full ride but it would have made it impossible to use my g.i. bill which includes a living stipend. So in this case less is actually more. 90 will amount to a full ride for me. I am glad my ed worked out.
That's sick! Congrats and enjoy C-ville

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rawlberto

Bronze

Post by Rawlberto » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:09 pm

Sorry guys, i'm looking for some advice.

I ED'd to UVA and signed up for the December LSAT as I just got a 164, which is on the lower end of my range. I really do want to attend UVA and would prefer not to have to retake. My file is currently on hold and I need to tell them to proceed or wait until my December scores arrive. Stats: 164, 3.33, weak softs, 2yr WE, MA URM. Thoughts?

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:18 pm

Is it just me or does the UVA status checker seem pretty useless?

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:25 pm

I got a call from Dean Richard today. Since I know UVA calls people for acceptances, I kinda started freaking out. Turns out she just had a few questions about my application :(. At least they don’t hate my app enough to immediately throw it in the trash! I guess I know I’m under review now.

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:26 pm

Rawlberto wrote:Sorry guys, i'm looking for some advice.

I ED'd to UVA and signed up for the December LSAT as I just got a 164, which is on the lower end of my range. I really do want to attend UVA and would prefer not to have to retake. My file is currently on hold and I need to tell them to proceed or wait until my December scores arrive. Stats: 164, 3.33, weak softs, 2yr WE, MA URM. Thoughts?
Doesn't look good for you with the 164. The hispanic URM, even for being Mexican, isn't enough to push you over the top IMO. If there's where you're set on, I'd have em wait.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”