UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MumofCad

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:25 pm

vincanity1 wrote:
Gotta say it's a bit of a downer to hear you got 75 offered Mum. Maybe I'm just a more realistic matriculant than you two studs

Oh I wouldn't take it as a downer. You probably had a stellar application. I just meant the URM wouldn't have anything to do with it IMO. I bet you got it based on other (unknowable) reasons. There really is no knowable rhyme or reason to it on LSN based on numbers, so I'm not sure how else we can tell.

What I said though in looking at LSN holds. You have a very very strong probability of getting a full ride offer at a peer school after receiving this. Be optimistic. This is a great start to your cycle.

Just not sure what UVA's thinking is on these offers, unless they plan to make a second round upping it as people begin to withdraw for other offers. But why do that? The whole thing is baffling. Almost no one matriculated with either offer extended this early (which probably had a lot to do with the later offers from peer schools), so there doesn't seem to be an issue with worrying that everyone will accept and not having enough money. Why not just set up a system like Duke that delays the decision so as not to drive people off when they receive better offers? Then extend larger initials? Weird.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:29 pm

MumofCad wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:
Gotta say it's a bit of a downer to hear you got 75 offered Mum. Maybe I'm just a more realistic matriculant than you two studs

Oh I wouldn't take it as a downer. You probably had a stellar application. I just meant the URM wouldn't have anything to do with it IMO. I bet you got it based on other (unknowable) reasons. There really is no knowable rhyme or reason to it on LSN based on numbers, so I'm not sure how else we can tell.

What I said though in looking at LSN holds. You have a very very strong probability of getting a full ride offer at a peer school after receiving this. Be optimistic. This is a great start to your cycle.

Just not sure what UVA's thinking is on these offers, unless they plan to make a second round upping it as people begin to withdraw for other offers. But why do that? The whole thing is baffling. Almost no one matriculated with either offer extended this early (which probably had a lot to do with the later offers from peer schools), so there doesn't seem to be an issue with worrying that everyone will accept and not having enough money. Why not just set up a system like Duke that delays the decision so as not to drive people off when they receive better offers? Then extend larger initials? Weird.

LOOL nah, the whole stellar application idea goes out the window just using your case as a comparison, even from a 100% objective view. I hate to say it seems almost random but it does. ITE, weird is the perfect word to describe the whole thing.

Schola

Postby Schola » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:35 pm

MumofCad wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:
freestallion wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:Hey Stallion, did you finally end up being offered 75k? We've got pretty close stats (my LSN 3.8 listing is actually a 3.77 so I figure I'm even lower than you) with a 173, but I'm still in UG and sorta kinda URM (Cuban) so I'm curious as to if the URM thing may have played a role

Yeah, I only got 75 k :( I think it may be because my GPA is below their median of 3.86? I think your URM status may have helped a bit there. Not sure.

I'm sure you'll be bumped up no problem if it comes to that later on. I appreciate the quick response. My ECs and such are far from mindblowing so I think it very well might have been the URM thing. Frankly, I'm just happy to have quasi-proof it helps at all :p

I don't think this matters at all actually. Mine was 75k and I'm above both 75ths, AND they admitted me after 24 hours. Not sure what their thinking was. I was pretty surprised, especially given the feedback I had received in the phone call about my application. Honestly, it put UVA from battling for #1 on my list between another much-higher rated school to wayyyy down it. If you look at LSN, there isn't a pattern based on numbers to the 75 vs 90k, though the highest numbered admits did receive alot of 75ks for some reason. Why not just YP them? It seems exceedingly unlikely they would choose to attend when almost all from LSN last year received full ride offers from Michigan or one of CCN. Why would UVA decide to not even try to match them to draw the candidates that would rather attend their school? Its like they just took themselves out of the race, especially since many will not even realize this is negotiable. I mean a good number based on last year that got either a 75/90k offer from UVA will receive a full ride from Michigan or Penn.....(*fingers crossed this holds*)

We'll see what my other options are, but I went from being fairly certain I'd end up at UVA due to certain considerations to being almost certain that I won't given this offer. 90k wouldn't have altered that any though. Right now, with the 3 offers on the table already, I'd rather take the full ride to the flag ship school in the state I want to practice since I'm debt adverse :( Just goes to show how much your preferences can be changed through this process. I can't even bring myself to tell all my friends in the area, who knew UVA was my #1 and think we'll still be around next year, that its pretty well off the table for us at this point. :(

I would just take a deep breath and wait a bit. I briefly scanned LSN from last year and people report initially getting offered 75k then in February or March receiving, in the words of one person, a "random" letter from UVA up-ing the offer to a full ride.

While I was offered 90k, I, like you, am debt adverse and probably wouldn't attend unless it is closer to a full ride. A full ride, however, might seduce me away from HYS since I don't want to sell my soul to big law. I would rather have options coming out of law school. But since Yale and I believe Harvard had more generous debt forgiveness programs than UVA, on top of the fact that the degree will simply give me more options, I suspect that even taking on $150k debt for a Yale or Harvard degree would provide me with more latitude than, say, $75k at UVA.

Then again, this is all so silly to talk about this early in the cycle without concrete numbers to discuss.

But my point remains, you very well might still get an unsolicited "upgrade" to full tuition, and even if you don't, you might be able to negotiate for one.

anewaphorist

Postby anewaphorist » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:39 pm

Submitted yesterday, but I did not send a "Why UVA?" because I needed to submit an addendum, and there was no additional space to append an essay after using that attachment (other than the Conduct tab, which I didn't want to have showing an unrelated essay). Oh well, probably wont matter.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:57 pm

MumofCad wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:

Hmm, this is interesting. I too am surprised that Mum got only 75k, but I guess it seems almost random then OR some strange form of yield protect? I really have no idea. I think it's interesting that people in the past have gotten letters upping their scholarships to full rides, so maybe we can still hold out hope for something like that. Anyway, I am just speculating now but I have to say I was just disappointed as I was using my scholarship amount to sort of gauge the quality of my application and think about where else I would get in/how much $$ I might receive elsewhere, etc. But I guess it's still so early in the game, we just have to wait it out and see what happens. It does seem kind of random overall.

KaleidoscopeEyes

Postby KaleidoscopeEyes » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:07 pm

freestallion wrote: But I guess it's still so early in the game, we just have to wait it out and see what happens. It does seem kind of random overall.

This. I think it's way too early to be fretting about those kind of things. That fact that you're both in and with a hefty scholarship bodes well. At this point, I wouldn't read into a 15k difference as saying much about the quality of your application. Schools expect you to barter in the end anyways. FWIW, I think I have very similar numbers as you and I haven't even been accepted yet.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:10 pm

Last edited by FloridaCoastalorbust on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:27 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Decided to send an app ED, although it seems a stretch with my numbers (3.89/166). Chance me?

I'd say the odds are good. Above GPA median.

MiamiOxford

Postby MiamiOxford » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:32 pm

Anyone care to take a wild guess at a longshot? 161, 4.11, NA, have been complete since 9/23... Crazy pipe dream?

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:17 pm

MiamiOxford wrote:Anyone care to take a wild guess at a longshot? 161, 4.11, NA, have been complete since 9/23... Crazy pipe dream?

i bet in, but iffy.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:25 pm

freestallion wrote:
Hmm, this is interesting. I too am surprised that Mum got only 75k, but I guess it seems almost random then OR some strange form of yield protect? I really have no idea. I think it's interesting that people in the past have gotten letters upping their scholarships to full rides, so maybe we can still hold out hope for something like that. Anyway, I am just speculating now but I have to say I was just disappointed as I was using my scholarship amount to sort of gauge the quality of my application and think about where else I would get in/how much $$ I might receive elsewhere, etc. But I guess it's still so early in the game, we just have to wait it out and see what happens. It does seem kind of random overall.

That is why I posted it. I wouldn't use it to judge the quality of your application at all. First, I think when the difference is 15k here or there, it would be very subjective - case in point, I know for a fact that the professional adcom really liked my application. I haven't shared what exactly was said, but I am fully confident that there was nothing at all disappointing or that hurt me in my application based on our conversation (not just from the sudden 24 hour turnover). Now whether a scholarship committee or some other reviewer felt differently, or there is some other calculation, I have no way of knowing, but I can't believe it was a weakness in my application because of the conversation we had about it in at least one person's eyes. When there is so little room between applicants and so much about the process we can't know, I won't read anything into it.

I totally agree too that the scholarship amounts seem different in timing this year and its very early, though at least a few people mention being offered in mid-Nov acceptance a "dean's scholarship" that amounted to a full ride. Unfortunately, I plan to have made a decision unless I am forced into absolute desperation way before Feb/Mar (though it does seem some of the URMs received straight out full rides from acceptance). We'll see though. Not enough info this early to tell whether that is a pipe dream.

Schola

Postby Schola » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:49 pm

MumofCad wrote:
freestallion wrote:

That is why I posted it. I wouldn't use it to judge the quality of your application at all. First, I think when the difference is 15k here or there, it would be very subjective - case in point, I know for a fact that the professional adcom really liked my application. I haven't shared what exactly was said, but I am fully confident that there was nothing at all disappointing or that hurt me in my application based on our conversation (not just from the sudden 24 hour turnover). Now whether a scholarship committee or some other reviewer felt differently, or there is some other calculation, I have no way of knowing, but I can't believe it was a weakness in my application because of the conversation we had about it in at least one person's eyes. When there is so little room between applicants and so much about the process we can't know, I won't read anything into it.

I totally agree too that the scholarship amounts seem different in timing this year and its very early, though at least a few people mention being offered in mid-Nov acceptance a "dean's scholarship" that amounted to a full ride. Unfortunately, I plan to have made a decision unless I am forced into absolute desperation way before Feb/Mar (though it does seem some of the URMs received straight out full rides from acceptance). We'll see though. Not enough info this early to tell whether that is a pipe dream.

If I remember correctly, you have familial reasons for wanting to get these things settled early. While bureaucracy can be quite infuriating, it has been my experience that most people are more reasonable than you (or at least I!) give them credit for. I suspect, on nothing more than my own gut feeling, that if you are set on UVA and are also set on getting these things taken care of sooner rather than later, that you might be able to negotiate w/ them before Christmas. Perhaps you will be rebuffed, told that it is too early in the game or "nothing can be done," but it seems to me just as likely that they will see your excellent application, see that you are sincere, and try to find a way resolve the situation.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:26 pm

Hey guys, I wanna apply to UVA but have a couple questions..

I've got a 3.37/167, and am Mexican URM. Would I have a shot with ED? and what would be the approximate turnaround time?

If i want to throw an ED app at mich too, should i do that first then ed UVA if i don't get it?

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:27 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:Hey guys, I wanna apply to UVA but have a couple questions..

I've got a 3.37/167, and am Mexican URM. Would I have a shot with ED? and what would be the approximate turnaround time?

If i want to throw an ED app at mich too, should i do that first then ed UVA if i don't get it?

UVA has a really fast ED turnaround and is known to be splitter friendly. I'd say you have a great shot there ED.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:30 pm

Curious1 wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:Hey guys, I wanna apply to UVA but have a couple questions..

UVA has a really fast ED turnaround and is known to be splitter friendly. I'd say you have a great shot there ED.

Wow, that's inspiring. Definitely got my attention. Can anyone else comment on this as well?

baconpuffs

Postby baconpuffs » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:37 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
Curious1 wrote:

Wow, that's inspiring. Definitely got my attention. Can anyone else comment on this as well?

Yeah, UVA's turnaround time is 15 days after your application goes complete. Good luck!

tener

Postby tener » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:08 pm

I'm in! Looking forward to Charlottesville next year and meeting all of you!
Last edited by tener on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:35 am

Last edited by FloridaCoastalorbust on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:12 am

tener wrote:How about a 3.92, 163.. ?

ED gives you a shot.

soj

Postby soj » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:11 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:My question: if in on ED, would a retake of 170+ in Dec. (after accepted ED) with my 3.89 give me a fighting chance at merit-based? I suppose UVA knows they wouldn't have to negotiate with any other schools, and that makes me nervous. I've thought about the possibility of getting a high score in Dec. and opting to sit out for the cycle, despite getting in on ED in the next week or two. That is of course assuming that ED UVA doesn't require matriculation. I've heard this and the opposite, however. This leads me to another question: if in on ED, does one have to matriculate that same year, or can you decide to sit out the cycle?

No, if you get into UVA ED, you're not getting any money from UVA. You'll have to attend UVA at sticker or sit out the cycle.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:46 am

soj wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:My question: if in on ED, would a retake of 170+ in Dec. (after accepted ED) with my 3.89 give me a fighting chance at merit-based? I suppose UVA knows they wouldn't have to negotiate with any other schools, and that makes me nervous. I've thought about the possibility of getting a high score in Dec. and opting to sit out for the cycle, despite getting in on ED in the next week or two. That is of course assuming that ED UVA doesn't require matriculation. I've heard this and the opposite, however. This leads me to another question: if in on ED, does one have to matriculate that same year, or can you decide to sit out the cycle?

No, if you get into UVA ED, you're not getting any money from UVA. You'll have to attend UVA at sticker or sit out the cycle.

Any negatives on sitting out after being accepted ED? I want to pull the trigger but expect a couple point increase in Dec. due to a wreck in Oct.

soj

Postby soj » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:50 am

But why? If you don't like the idea of sticker, just don't ED.

Mitterrand

Postby Mitterrand » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:20 am

Just went complete today :D

SoPro

Postby SoPro » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:33 am

3.92, 172 non-URM, instate resident.

Any chance for a scholly?

MiamiOxford

Postby MiamiOxford » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:35 am

Dear UVa,

Please call me already.

Thanks.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”