MumofCad wrote: vincanity1 wrote: freestallion wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:Hey Stallion, did you finally end up being offered 75k? We've got pretty close stats (my LSN 3.8 listing is actually a 3.77 so I figure I'm even lower than you) with a 173, but I'm still in UG and sorta kinda URM (Cuban) so I'm curious as to if the URM thing may have played a role
Yeah, I only got 75 k
I think it may be because my GPA is below their median of 3.86? I think your URM status may have helped a bit there. Not sure.
I'm sure you'll be bumped up no problem if it comes to that later on. I appreciate the quick response. My ECs and such are far from mindblowing so I think it very well might have been the URM thing. Frankly, I'm just happy to have quasi-proof it helps at all :p
I don't think this matters at all actually. Mine was 75k and I'm above both 75ths, AND they admitted me after 24 hours. Not sure what their thinking was. I was pretty surprised, especially given the feedback I had received in the phone call about my application. Honestly, it put UVA from battling for #1 on my list between another much-higher rated school to wayyyy down it. If you look at LSN, there isn't a pattern based on numbers to the 75 vs 90k, though the highest numbered admits did receive alot of 75ks for some reason. Why not just YP them? It seems exceedingly unlikely they would choose to attend when almost all from LSN last year received full ride offers from Michigan or one of CCN. Why would UVA decide to not even try to match them to draw the candidates that would rather attend their school? Its like they just took themselves out of the race, especially since many will not even realize this is negotiable. I mean a good number based on last year that got either a 75/90k offer from UVA will receive a full ride from Michigan or Penn.....(*fingers crossed this holds*)
We'll see what my other options are, but I went from being fairly certain I'd end up at UVA due to certain considerations to being almost certain that I won't given this offer. 90k wouldn't have altered that any though. Right now, with the 3 offers on the table already, I'd rather take the full ride to the flag ship school in the state I want to practice since I'm debt adverse
Just goes to show how much your preferences can be changed through this process. I can't even bring myself to tell all my friends in the area, who knew UVA was my #1 and think we'll still be around next year, that its pretty well off the table for us at this point.
I would just take a deep breath and wait a bit. I briefly scanned LSN from last year and people report initially getting offered 75k then in February or March receiving, in the words of one person, a "random" letter from UVA up-ing the offer to a full ride.
While I was offered 90k, I, like you, am debt adverse and probably wouldn't attend unless it is closer to a full ride. A full ride, however, might seduce me away from HYS since I don't want to sell my soul to big law. I would rather have options coming out of law school. But since Yale and I believe Harvard had more generous debt forgiveness programs than UVA, on top of the fact that the degree will simply give me more options, I suspect that even taking on $150k debt for a Yale or Harvard degree would provide me with more latitude than, say, $75k at UVA.
Then again, this is all so silly to talk about this early in the cycle without concrete numbers to discuss.
But my point remains, you very well might still get an unsolicited "upgrade" to full tuition, and even if you don't, you might be able to negotiate for one.