UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
KJG

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby KJG » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:12 am

I thought I would ed because I already have half of the tuition and it is the only school I am really interested in. I felt that UVA at half money was a no brainer but with the high number of ed applicants I wasn't sure if I was an admit through rd. and the early decision notification gives me extra time to move my family whereas if I waited all my applications out as late as I could my wife might not be able to find employment and I would have to go by myself and support two households. This might negate any scholarship money i got

annyong

Postby annyong » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:39 am

Have any RD decisions gone out since that initial wave of RD applicants/scholarships? (Congrats to you guys, btw!)

tener

Postby tener » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:57 am

KJG wrote:I thought I would ed because I already have half of the tuition and it is the only school I am really interested in. I felt that UVA at half money was a no brainer but with the high number of ed applicants I wasn't sure if I was an admit through rd. and the early decision notification gives me extra time to move my family whereas if I waited all my applications out as late as I could my wife might not be able to find employment and I would have to go by myself and support two households. This might negate any scholarship money i got

Obviously you have no need to defend your decision, but I find your explanation so refreshing. So many of the reactions on TLS are so knee-jerk "XX GPA, XXX LSAT = you need to do this". You can certainly tell that the vast majority of those who post here are single, unattached law school applicants who fail to realize there are a host of other more important variables to the decisions of some people.

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:00 am

I wanna get innnnn but I only applied RD :/

MiamiOxford

Postby MiamiOxford » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:08 am

LaCumparsita wrote:I wanna get innnnn but I only applied RD :/

I feel your pain :roll: Anyone's thoughts on when RD can expect some phone calls?

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:10 am

MiamiOxford wrote:
LaCumparsita wrote:I wanna get innnnn but I only applied RD :/

I feel your pain :roll: Anyone's thoughts on when RD can expect some phone calls?

Other than the few of us who got in earlier on, maybe more will hear in early-mid nov? Not sure if this year will follow previous years' schedules though.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:21 am

KJG wrote:I thought I would ed because I already have half of the tuition and it is the only school I am really interested in. I felt that UVA at half money was a no brainer but with the high number of ed applicants I wasn't sure if I was an admit through rd. and the early decision notification gives me extra time to move my family whereas if I waited all my applications out as late as I could my wife might not be able to find employment and I would have to go by myself and support two households. This might negate any scholarship money i got

I feel for you. I've been so neurotic about this, because it is a lot of pressure on a family to have to pick up and move. I want to go to the best law school as much as the next gal, but my family is first and I can't just ride out WL. Ideally, I would like to make my decision prior to Christmas so my husband can find a job, we can prepare and sell our house, find good schools for the kids....sometimes you have to just make the best decision for yourself and let the beauty of the human psyche kick in to reassure that it was indeed the best option anyhow. That is my plan come January (though if I haven't heard back from HYS at the time it will be very hard to stick to).

runplaystudy

Postby runplaystudy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:54 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
KJG wrote:171/3.91
Just got my score. applying ED in the morning

Why would you apply ED? That's an objectively poor decision.

Write a Why Virginia and you're an auto-admit with those scores. I bet you could get some scholarship money as well (which isn't the case if you ED).

Those numbers would probably get you NYU with an off-chance at CC.

Just my two cents... I'm a URM with a 170 and a 3.7X, and I ED'd to Virginia because that's where I want to go and I really didn't want to mess around. Just another perspective... Law School Predictor had be as an auto admit for a lot of the T14 but UVA was my top choice by far and away. And the rumor is that ED doesn't kill your scholarship chances, though truthfully I was hoping for a little money... it probably adversely affects you at least a little (how could it not?). In my opinion, if you would be CRUSHED by not getting in then ED is probably a good choice but you have to be aware of the possible scholarship implications.

runplaystudy

Postby runplaystudy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:56 am

I think we TLSers have a "BEST SCHOOL POSSIBLE OR BUST" attitude sometimes.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:56 am

3.5x 176 non-URM. RD chances?

Dinho

Postby Dinho » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:04 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:3.5x 176 non-URM. RD chances?

Congrats on the 176!

This link: http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/1011/?lsat2=180&lsatR=true&lsat1=174&lgpa1=3.40&lgpa2=3.70&status=3,4,5,6,7,8&type=jd suggests to me you're going to need a convincing Why UVA? to avoid the wait list.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:52 pm

runplaystudy wrote:I think we TLSers have a "BEST SCHOOL POSSIBLE OR BUST" attitude sometimes.

I understand the whole "it's my favorite school" sentiment, but people often change their minds throughout the cycle as well. It's nice to have other options open to you, especially when it's almost certain that you'll get in RD. Moreover, I think a lot of us subscribe to the "go to the school that provides you with the best employment prospects" philosophy, which is more nuanced than "best school possible or bust".

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:54 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
runplaystudy wrote:I think we TLSers have a "BEST SCHOOL POSSIBLE OR BUST" attitude sometimes.

I understand the whole "it's my favorite school" sentiment, but people often change their minds throughout the cycle as well. It's nice to have other options open to you, especially when it's almost certain that you'll get in RD. Moreover, I think a lot of us subscribe to the "go to the school that provides you with the best employment prospects" philosophy, which is more nuanced than "best school possible or bust".

+180

runplaystudy

Postby runplaystudy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:15 pm

Curious1 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:

+180

Are the employment prospects for each T14 really that different though? I really think it's better to choose the school you want to go to the most rather than using statistics (after a certain threshold, obviously), even if they're not just the US News rankings.

Plus, your grades are a huge factor in your employment prospects, so finding a program you will thrive in is probably a really big factor too. When you're talking about the really elite schools with like 98% employment rates, you may want to focus more on where you'd like to spend the next three years than just numbers.

baconpuffs

Postby baconpuffs » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:26 pm

runplaystudy wrote:Are the employment prospects for each T14 really that different though? I really think it's better to choose the school you want to go to the most rather than using statistics (after a certain threshold, obviously), even if they're not just the US News rankings.

Plus, your grades are a huge factor in your employment prospects, so finding a program you will thrive in is probably a really big factor too. When you're talking about the really elite schools with like 98% employment rates, you may want to focus more on where you'd like to spend the next three years than just numbers.

Where are these mythical schools?

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:28 pm

When do scholarships come out? Any ed'ers consider a retake to be more competitive for a scholarship or is tcr this is a waste?

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:30 pm

runplaystudy wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:

+180

Are the employment prospects for each T14 really that different though? I really think it's better to choose the school you want to go to the most rather than using statistics (after a certain threshold, obviously), even if they're not just the US News rankings.

Yes, they're much much different.

In this economy, YHSCC are in a different class from everyone else. I would argue that N is in a class just below that, and MVPBN are just below that.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:35 pm

In this economy, YHSCC are in a different class from everyone else. I would argue that N is in a class just below that, and MVPBN are just below that.

+180

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:44 pm

Curious1 wrote:

+180

Important to note that mvpn still put you in the running. I think the drop from uva to say vandy is much bigger than the drop from columbia to uva. I think if you don't suck at law school, aren't uber-picky and not a complete dweed, uva will prove sufficient for a decent career and livelihood. On tls I'm a nobody but in real life ppl always expect me to be a genius getting into uva (of course, they're always let down.)

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:45 pm

Any eders consider retaking for $????

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:50 pm

Hey Stallion, did you finally end up being offered 75k? We've got pretty close stats (my LSN 3.8 listing is actually a 3.77 so I figure I'm even lower than you) with a 173, but I'm still in UG and sorta kinda URM (Cuban) so I'm curious as to if the URM thing may have played a role

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:54 pm

vincanity1 wrote:Hey Stallion, did you finally end up being offered 75k? We've got pretty close stats (my LSN 3.8 listing is actually a 3.77 so I figure I'm even lower than you) with a 173, but I'm still in UG and sorta kinda URM (Cuban) so I'm curious as to if the URM thing may have played a role

Yeah, I only got 75 k :( I think it may be because my GPA is below their median of 3.86? I think your URM status may have helped a bit there. Not sure.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:59 pm

freestallion wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:Hey Stallion, did you finally end up being offered 75k? We've got pretty close stats (my LSN 3.8 listing is actually a 3.77 so I figure I'm even lower than you) with a 173, but I'm still in UG and sorta kinda URM (Cuban) so I'm curious as to if the URM thing may have played a role

Yeah, I only got 75 k :( I think it may be because my GPA is below their median of 3.86? I think your URM status may have helped a bit there. Not sure.

I'm sure you'll be bumped up no problem if it comes to that later on. I appreciate the quick response. My ECs and such are far from mindblowing so I think it very well might have been the URM thing. Frankly, I'm just happy to have quasi-proof it helps at all :p

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:17 pm

vincanity1 wrote:
freestallion wrote:

I'm sure you'll be bumped up no problem if it comes to that later on. I appreciate the quick response. My ECs and such are far from mindblowing so I think it very well might have been the URM thing. Frankly, I'm just happy to have quasi-proof it helps at all :p

I don't think this matters at all actually. Mine was 75k and I'm above both 75ths, AND they admitted me after 24 hours. Not sure what their thinking was. I was pretty surprised, especially given the feedback I had received in the phone call about my application. Honestly, it put UVA from battling for #1 on my list between another much-higher rated school to wayyyy down it. If you look at LSN, there isn't a pattern based on numbers to the 75 vs 90k, though the highest numbered admits did receive alot of 75ks for some reason. Why not just YP them? It seems exceedingly unlikely they would choose to attend when almost all from LSN last year received full ride offers from Michigan or one of CCN. Why would UVA decide to not even try to match them to draw the candidates that would rather attend their school? Its like they just took themselves out of the race, especially since many will not even realize this is negotiable. I mean a good number based on last year that got either a 75/90k offer from UVA will receive a full ride from Michigan or Penn.....(*fingers crossed this holds*)

We'll see what my other options are, but I went from being fairly certain I'd end up at UVA due to certain considerations to being almost certain that I won't given this offer. 90k wouldn't have altered that any though. Right now, with the 3 offers on the table already, I'd rather take the full ride to the flag ship school in the state I want to practice since I'm debt adverse :( Just goes to show how much your preferences can be changed through this process. I can't even bring myself to tell all my friends in the area, who knew UVA was my #1 and think we'll still be around next year, that its pretty well off the table for us at this point. :(
Last edited by MumofCad on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:21 pm

MumofCad wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:
freestallion wrote:

I don't think this matters at all actually. Mine was 75k and I'm above both 75ths, AND they admitted me after 24 hours. Not sure what their thinking was. I was pretty surprised, especially given the feedback I had received in the phone call about my application. Honestly, it put UVA from battling for #1 on my list between another much-higher rated school to wayyyy down it. If you look at LSN, there isn't a pattern based on numbers to the 75 vs 90k, though the highest numbered admits did receive alot of 75ks for some reason. Why not just YP them? It seems exceedingly unlikely they would choose to attend when almost all from LSN last year received full ride offers from Michigan or one of CCN. Why would UVA decide to not even try to match them to draw the candidates that would rather attend their school? Its like they just took themselves out of the race, especially since many will not even realize this is negotiable.

We'll see what my other options are, but I went from being fairly certain I'd end up at UVA due to certain considerations to being almost certain that I won't given this offer. 90k wouldn't have altered that any though. Right now, with the 3 offers on the table already, I'd rather take the full ride to the flag ship school in the state I want to practice since I'm debt adverse :( Just goes to show how much your preferences can be changed through this process. I can't even bring myself to tell all my friends in the area, who knew UVA was my #1 and think we'll still be around next year, that its pretty well off the table for us at this point. :(

Gotta say it's a bit of a downer to hear you got 75 offered Mum. Maybe I'm just a more realistic matriculant than you two studs

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”