UDFlyers90 wrote: atj86 wrote: UDFlyers90 wrote:
whatismylife wrote:Hey guys I officially withdrew. Seriously feels like a bad break up and I'm kind of in pain, but had to do it.
Good luck to everyone else wait-listed!!!
Must have got your quasi-admission spot for the fall 2013, just received an email from Anne Richards asking if I would consider deferring for a year here is the content of the email:
(Personal portion of email with name etc)...
It may be possible for us to offer you deferred admission to fall 2013. Our deferrals are binding. This means that, if we are able to offer and if you choose to accept deferred admission to fall 2013, you would have to agree to decline any other offers of admission that you currently are holding from other law schools. You also would have to agree not to apply to any other law schools during the deferral year. You would have to pay a $1,000 nonrefundable seat deposit to UVA Law now to hold your seat in our fall 2013 entering class and would be bound to join us in August 2013.
If a binding deferred admission is something that is of interest to you, I will consult with our admissions committee to see if this is something we can do. Please let me know? Feel free to give me a call if you want to talk -- (434) 243-1456.
I'm a little hesitant to commit to this given my circumstances, applied in January after 176 on December lsat..when I applied I had a 3.1x gpa but after this past semester my gpa via LSAC will be roughly 3.2. However, I feel like if I really do take a year off it would be stupid to commit now to UVA and give up any chance at any other t14 (specifically shooting an ED to Michigan) TLS gurus any thoughts?
I'm in the same boat. Was offered deferred admission with almost the exact same numbers. Virginia is my first choice for several reasons and I'm not trying to go anywhere else, but I don't want to cheat myself out of any potential scholarship money. If you don't mind me asking, why do you want Mich over UVA?
I suppose I should have rephrased that to I don't want to eliminate any option of the MVP group of schools by committing to UVA now if I were to be shooting for fall 2013 (Michigan just has a geographical preference over the other two, I am from the midwest). I also didn't apply to Cornell or Northwestern (TLS sufficiently convinced me that out of undergrad as a splitter I had no shot) so I feel like I basically made some strategic mistakes applying this cycle. At the same time I am afraid that if I reapply next fall with a slightly improved GPA and some work experience (it wouldn't be the most impressive) that I will just be stuck with the same wait list problem I currently have and be kicking myself for not accepting UVA when I had the chance.
I've decided to take them up on their offer. My thought process is this:
I know for sure that I would rather have UVA next year than where my seat deposit currently is this year. That means that my only reason for not taking the deferral is potential for scholarship if I go through the full application process again next year. I looked at LSN for the last 3 years and it is very rare to find a non-URM with <3.4 UGPA receiving any T10 money. Also, I was prepared to go to UVA with no money this year, so why should it be any different next year. In this particular situation, I'd rather take the sure thing.
Maybe I'll go teach ESL somewhere for 6 months or backpack around Europe. There are loads of things I can do in the next year that I won't be able to do easily during or after law school. This gives me the opportunity to do those without having to worry about the application process all over again. While it's annoying to have to put my life on hold for a year, it's not the end of the world.
Plus, we're still being considered for admission this cycle.