UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
lzyovrachievr
Posts: 1695
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:24 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lzyovrachievr » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:31 pm

Have a question for a friend for you more knowledgeable and obsessed folks. (I was there last year.) Do you know the latest date that UVA allows you to switch your application to early decision?

User avatar
luxxe
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby luxxe » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:13 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:Have a question for a friend for you more knowledgeable and obsessed folks. (I was there last year.) Do you know the latest date that UVA allows you to switch your application to early decision?


There is no deadline.

P.S. UVA, you should call me tomorrow. TYIA.

User avatar
Genki
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:04 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Genki » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:05 pm

Received an email to call the assistant Dean at 8:53 (Mountain Time) this morning.
Very excited.

Syme
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Syme » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:23 pm

I've gotten the impression from skimming this thread that "Why UVA?" statements are critically important. Would you guys say that is the case?

In truth, UVA is one of my top choices and I didn't include a "Why UVA?" at the time of submission (1/18) - I'm regretting that now. Is it too late to send one as an addendum to the admissions folks? Should it instead be couched in a LOCI? If so, when is the appropriate time to send a LOCI given my submission date?

Appreciate any feedback you guys can give. For those interested, stats in my profile. I suppose it is worth mentioning that I am a VA resident.

justicefishy
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby justicefishy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:26 pm

Syme wrote:I've gotten the impression from skimming this thread that "Why UVA?" statements are critically important. Would you guys say that is the case?

In truth, UVA is one of my top choices and I didn't include a "Why UVA?" at the time of submission (1/18) - I'm regretting that now. Is it too late to send one as an addendum to the admissions folks? Should it instead be couched in a LOCI? If so, when is the appropriate time to send a LOCI given my submission date?

Appreciate any feedback you guys can give. For those interested, stats in my profile. I suppose it is worth mentioning that I am a VA resident.


I got in with subpar numbers (especially compared to yours!), no Why UVA, and out of state, so, maybe I'm just weird :D

But it never hurts I think!

User avatar
Genki
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:04 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Genki » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:29 pm

Syme wrote:I've gotten the impression from skimming this thread that "Why UVA?" statements are critically important. Would you guys say that is the case?

In truth, UVA is one of my top choices and I didn't include a "Why UVA?" at the time of submission (1/18) - I'm regretting that now. Is it too late to send one as an addendum to the admissions folks? Should it instead be couched in a LOCI? If so, when is the appropriate time to send a LOCI given my submission date?

Appreciate any feedback you guys can give. For those interested, stats in my profile. I suppose it is worth mentioning that I am a VA resident.


I'm out of state and didn't write a why UVA essay.

User avatar
so_fetch
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:37 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby so_fetch » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:12 pm

Syme wrote:I've gotten the impression from skimming this thread that "Why UVA?" statements are critically important. Would you guys say that is the case?

In truth, UVA is one of my top choices and I didn't include a "Why UVA?" at the time of submission (1/18) - I'm regretting that now. Is it too late to send one as an addendum to the admissions folks? Should it instead be couched in a LOCI? If so, when is the appropriate time to send a LOCI given my submission date?

Appreciate any feedback you guys can give. For those interested, stats in my profile. I suppose it is worth mentioning that I am a VA resident.

If you want to give yourself the best chance possible, write a Why UVA. I think since you submitted so recently, a "LOCI" would not be the right approach. Just email to them and ask to add it to your file. Do that now and then later, you can consider an actual LOCI.

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:15 pm

I can confirm that the "update your app" thing works. Did it last week and got an email to call two days later. Obviously, you need to actually be accepted for it to work but it can speed up the process. I submitted in early November, OOS, wrote Why UVA

User avatar
luxxe
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby luxxe » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:04 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:I can confirm that the "update your app" thing works. Did it last week and got an email to call two days later. Obviously, you need to actually be accepted for it to work but it can speed up the process. I submitted in early November, OOS, wrote Why UVA


Hey I could have made this post... minus the acceptance part :|.

thestillpoint
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thestillpoint » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:10 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:I can confirm that the "update your app" thing works. Did it last week and got an email to call two days later. Obviously, you need to actually be accepted for it to work but it can speed up the process. I submitted in early November, OOS, wrote Why UVA


Agreed. I submitted the first week of November and had received no word. Last week, I wrote a brief email to update UVA on what I had been doing in the interim (just expanding on my responsibilities in my current job) and noting some new opportunities (specific programs/groups) I'd uncovered when I research UVA more thoroughly that I thought would be a good fit. It was only a couple paragraphs long.

I got an email the next day and then was accepted with a substantial scholarship. I'd already done a Why UVA, but for those who haven't received any word from UVA in 8+ weeks, I think it's very helpful to send a brief update and note your continued interest. It's seemed to work for many others on this thread and the people in admissions are incredibly nice!

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:14 pm

I read through the thread, but what's the consensus on financial aid when you get your phone call? If they don't tell you about scholarships, it's still possible you will get money later on in February and March, right? Or is it only the super strong candidates who get money upon admit?

User avatar
kroakstool
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kroakstool » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:21 pm

thestillpoint wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:I can confirm that the "update your app" thing works. Did it last week and got an email to call two days later. Obviously, you need to actually be accepted for it to work but it can speed up the process. I submitted in early November, OOS, wrote Why UVA


Agreed. I submitted the first week of November and had received no word. Last week, I wrote a brief email to update UVA on what I had been doing in the interim (just expanding on my responsibilities in my current job) and noting some new opportunities (specific programs/groups) I'd uncovered when I research UVA more thoroughly that I thought would be a good fit. It was only a couple paragraphs long.

I got an email the next day and then was accepted with a substantial scholarship. I'd already done a Why UVA, but for those who haven't received any word from UVA in 8+ weeks, I think it's very helpful to send a brief update and note your continued interest. It's seemed to work for many others on this thread and the people in admissions are incredibly nice!


Who did you address your email to? The admissions staff or a particular person?

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:22 pm

kroakstool wrote:
thestillpoint wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:I can confirm that the "update your app" thing works. Did it last week and got an email to call two days later. Obviously, you need to actually be accepted for it to work but it can speed up the process. I submitted in early November, OOS, wrote Why UVA


Agreed. I submitted the first week of November and had received no word. Last week, I wrote a brief email to update UVA on what I had been doing in the interim (just expanding on my responsibilities in my current job) and noting some new opportunities (specific programs/groups) I'd uncovered when I research UVA more thoroughly that I thought would be a good fit. It was only a couple paragraphs long.

I got an email the next day and then was accepted with a substantial scholarship. I'd already done a Why UVA, but for those who haven't received any word from UVA in 8+ weeks, I think it's very helpful to send a brief update and note your continued interest. It's seemed to work for many others on this thread and the people in admissions are incredibly nice!


Who did you address your email to? The admissions staff or a particular person?


Either Cordell Faulk or Jason Dugas. Their emails are on the website

User avatar
luxxe
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby luxxe » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:25 pm

FWIW I sent an update to the general admissions email, got a response from Dean Faulk.

thestillpoint
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thestillpoint » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:43 pm

kroakstool wrote:
thestillpoint wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:I can confirm that the "update your app" thing works. Did it last week and got an email to call two days later. Obviously, you need to actually be accepted for it to work but it can speed up the process. I submitted in early November, OOS, wrote Why UVA


Agreed. I submitted the first week of November and had received no word. Last week, I wrote a brief email to update UVA on what I had been doing in the interim (just expanding on my responsibilities in my current job) and noting some new opportunities (specific programs/groups) I'd uncovered when I research UVA more thoroughly that I thought would be a good fit. It was only a couple paragraphs long.

I got an email the next day and then was accepted with a substantial scholarship. I'd already done a Why UVA, but for those who haven't received any word from UVA in 8+ weeks, I think it's very helpful to send a brief update and note your continued interest. It's seemed to work for many others on this thread and the people in admissions are incredibly nice!


Who did you address your email to? The admissions staff or a particular person?


I sent mine to Director Dugas. I believe they split the admissions pile alphabetically by last name and Dugas has the last half. So I sent mine to him and that's who asked me to call back.

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:31 pm

Got an email this morning to call Dean Faulk. Did. Got in. Short conversation but definitely much appreciated.

Good luck to everyone else.

Submitted early Nov. At/Above both 75ths.

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:35 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Got an email this morning to call Dean Faulk. Did. Got in. Short conversation but definitely much appreciated.

Good luck to everyone else.

Submitted early Nov. At/Above both 75ths.


Did you get any $$$? Just curious because you should based on your #'s, so maybe there's still a chance later on. Congrats!

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:38 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:Got an email this morning to call Dean Faulk. Did. Got in. Short conversation but definitely much appreciated.

Good luck to everyone else.

Submitted early Nov. At/Above both 75ths.


Did you get any $$$? Just curious because you should based on your #'s, so maybe there's still a chance later on. Congrats!


He didn't say anything (nor did I ask). Do people get scholly info in their packet, or am I not being offered one from the get-go?

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:41 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:Got an email this morning to call Dean Faulk. Did. Got in. Short conversation but definitely much appreciated.

Good luck to everyone else.

Submitted early Nov. At/Above both 75ths.


Did you get any $$$? Just curious because you should based on your #'s, so maybe there's still a chance later on. Congrats!


He didn't say anything (nor did I ask). Do people get scholly info in their packet, or am I not being offered one from the get-go?


A lot of people get scholly info on the phone with them. I asked him and he said those decisions are made later, in March or something. LaCumparista got a full ride. I am also wondering if it comes in the packet.

justicefishy
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby justicefishy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:47 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:Got an email this morning to call Dean Faulk. Did. Got in. Short conversation but definitely much appreciated.

Good luck to everyone else.

Submitted early Nov. At/Above both 75ths.


Did you get any $$$? Just curious because you should based on your #'s, so maybe there's still a chance later on. Congrats!


He didn't say anything (nor did I ask). Do people get scholly info in their packet, or am I not being offered one from the get-go?


A lot of people get scholly info on the phone with them. I asked him and he said those decisions are made later, in March or something. LaCumparista got a full ride. I am also wondering if it comes in the packet.


I didn't get a thing in my packet (though I'm not expecting much, if anything).

User avatar
LaCumparsita
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 11:54 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby LaCumparsita » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:53 pm

Faulk told me on the phone that I had been granted a full scholly, and then the scholly info came in the packet as well ($148,800 to be exact.) Hope this clears up a little bit of confusion!

User avatar
chesterfan1230
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:59 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby chesterfan1230 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:35 pm

163 3.87. Strong Softs, Great LOR, Great PS. IN Today by ED by phone call with the Dean. Submitted my apps only 7 days ago.

Couldn't be happier.

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelawyler » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:49 am

RD. Got an email today to call back. I did and got in. :)

Submitted early Oct. Never really been in Virginia... I've heard good things tho! Can't wait to visit.

User avatar
mr_unemployed
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mr_unemployed » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:10 pm

Residency question: Does Admissions wait until your residency status is determined before making a decision on your app? Have any in-staters been accepted before their residency status was determined? Any info welcome!

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby aekea » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:18 pm

mr_unemployed wrote:Residency question: Does Admissions wait until your residency status is determined before making a decision on your app? Have any in-staters been accepted before their residency status was determined? Any info welcome!

I would assume that they'd wait on a decision until your residency is confirmed because Virginia is required to accept a certain percent of in-state students. They wouldn't accept you without knowing how it would affect the ratio of in state to out of state acceptances.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”