UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lzyovrachievr

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lzyovrachievr » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:31 pm

Have a question for a friend for you more knowledgeable and obsessed folks. (I was there last year.) Do you know the latest date that UVA allows you to switch your application to early decision?

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:13 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:Have a question for a friend for you more knowledgeable and obsessed folks. (I was there last year.) Do you know the latest date that UVA allows you to switch your application to early decision?

There is no deadline.

P.S. UVA, you should call me tomorrow. TYIA.

Genki

Postby Genki » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:05 pm

Received an email to call the assistant Dean at 8:53 (Mountain Time) this morning.
Very excited.

Syme

Postby Syme » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:23 pm

I've gotten the impression from skimming this thread that "Why UVA?" statements are critically important. Would you guys say that is the case?

In truth, UVA is one of my top choices and I didn't include a "Why UVA?" at the time of submission (1/18) - I'm regretting that now. Is it too late to send one as an addendum to the admissions folks? Should it instead be couched in a LOCI? If so, when is the appropriate time to send a LOCI given my submission date?

Appreciate any feedback you guys can give. For those interested, stats in my profile. I suppose it is worth mentioning that I am a VA resident.

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:26 pm

Syme wrote:I've gotten the impression from skimming this thread that "Why UVA?" statements are critically important. Would you guys say that is the case?

In truth, UVA is one of my top choices and I didn't include a "Why UVA?" at the time of submission (1/18) - I'm regretting that now. Is it too late to send one as an addendum to the admissions folks? Should it instead be couched in a LOCI? If so, when is the appropriate time to send a LOCI given my submission date?

Appreciate any feedback you guys can give. For those interested, stats in my profile. I suppose it is worth mentioning that I am a VA resident.

I got in with subpar numbers (especially compared to yours!), no Why UVA, and out of state, so, maybe I'm just weird :D

But it never hurts I think!

Genki

Postby Genki » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:29 pm

Syme wrote:I've gotten the impression from skimming this thread that "Why UVA?" statements are critically important. Would you guys say that is the case?

I'm out of state and didn't write a why UVA essay.

so_fetch

Postby so_fetch » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:12 pm

If you want to give yourself the best chance possible, write a Why UVA. I think since you submitted so recently, a "LOCI" would not be the right approach. Just email to them and ask to add it to your file. Do that now and then later, you can consider an actual LOCI.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:15 pm

I can confirm that the "update your app" thing works. Did it last week and got an email to call two days later. Obviously, you need to actually be accepted for it to work but it can speed up the process. I submitted in early November, OOS, wrote Why UVA

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:04 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:I can confirm that the "update your app" thing works. Did it last week and got an email to call two days later. Obviously, you need to actually be accepted for it to work but it can speed up the process. I submitted in early November, OOS, wrote Why UVA

Hey I could have made this post... minus the acceptance part :|.

thestillpoint

Postby thestillpoint » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:10 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:I can confirm that the "update your app" thing works. Did it last week and got an email to call two days later. Obviously, you need to actually be accepted for it to work but it can speed up the process. I submitted in early November, OOS, wrote Why UVA

Agreed. I submitted the first week of November and had received no word. Last week, I wrote a brief email to update UVA on what I had been doing in the interim (just expanding on my responsibilities in my current job) and noting some new opportunities (specific programs/groups) I'd uncovered when I research UVA more thoroughly that I thought would be a good fit. It was only a couple paragraphs long.

I got an email the next day and then was accepted with a substantial scholarship. I'd already done a Why UVA, but for those who haven't received any word from UVA in 8+ weeks, I think it's very helpful to send a brief update and note your continued interest. It's seemed to work for many others on this thread and the people in admissions are incredibly nice!

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:14 pm

I read through the thread, but what's the consensus on financial aid when you get your phone call? If they don't tell you about scholarships, it's still possible you will get money later on in February and March, right? Or is it only the super strong candidates who get money upon admit?

kroakstool

Postby kroakstool » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:21 pm

thestillpoint wrote:

Agreed. I submitted the first week of November and had received no word. Last week, I wrote a brief email to update UVA on what I had been doing in the interim (just expanding on my responsibilities in my current job) and noting some new opportunities (specific programs/groups) I'd uncovered when I research UVA more thoroughly that I thought would be a good fit. It was only a couple paragraphs long.

I got an email the next day and then was accepted with a substantial scholarship. I'd already done a Why UVA, but for those who haven't received any word from UVA in 8+ weeks, I think it's very helpful to send a brief update and note your continued interest. It's seemed to work for many others on this thread and the people in admissions are incredibly nice!

Who did you address your email to? The admissions staff or a particular person?

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:22 pm

kroakstool wrote:
thestillpoint wrote:

Either Cordell Faulk or Jason Dugas. Their emails are on the website

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:25 pm

FWIW I sent an update to the general admissions email, got a response from Dean Faulk.

thestillpoint

Postby thestillpoint » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:43 pm

kroakstool wrote:
thestillpoint wrote:

I sent mine to Director Dugas. I believe they split the admissions pile alphabetically by last name and Dugas has the last half. So I sent mine to him and that's who asked me to call back.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:31 pm

Got an email this morning to call Dean Faulk. Did. Got in. Short conversation but definitely much appreciated.

Good luck to everyone else.

Submitted early Nov. At/Above both 75ths.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:35 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Got an email this morning to call Dean Faulk. Did. Got in. Short conversation but definitely much appreciated.

Did you get any $$$? Just curious because you should based on your #'s, so maybe there's still a chance later on. Congrats!

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:38 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:Got an email this morning to call Dean Faulk. Did. Got in. Short conversation but definitely much appreciated.

Did you get any $$$? Just curious because you should based on your #'s, so maybe there's still a chance later on. Congrats!

He didn't say anything (nor did I ask). Do people get scholly info in their packet, or am I not being offered one from the get-go?

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:41 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:

He didn't say anything (nor did I ask). Do people get scholly info in their packet, or am I not being offered one from the get-go?

A lot of people get scholly info on the phone with them. I asked him and he said those decisions are made later, in March or something. LaCumparista got a full ride. I am also wondering if it comes in the packet.

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:47 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:

A lot of people get scholly info on the phone with them. I asked him and he said those decisions are made later, in March or something. LaCumparista got a full ride. I am also wondering if it comes in the packet.

I didn't get a thing in my packet (though I'm not expecting much, if anything).

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:53 pm

Faulk told me on the phone that I had been granted a full scholly, and then the scholly info came in the packet as well ($148,800 to be exact.) Hope this clears up a little bit of confusion!

chesterfan1230

Postby chesterfan1230 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:35 pm

163 3.87. Strong Softs, Great LOR, Great PS. IN Today by ED by phone call with the Dean. Submitted my apps only 7 days ago.

Couldn't be happier.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:49 am

RD. Got an email today to call back. I did and got in. :)

Submitted early Oct. Never really been in Virginia... I've heard good things tho! Can't wait to visit.

mr_unemployed

Postby mr_unemployed » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:10 pm

Residency question: Does Admissions wait until your residency status is determined before making a decision on your app? Have any in-staters been accepted before their residency status was determined? Any info welcome!

aekea

Postby aekea » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:18 pm

mr_unemployed wrote:Residency question: Does Admissions wait until your residency status is determined before making a decision on your app? Have any in-staters been accepted before their residency status was determined? Any info welcome!

I would assume that they'd wait on a decision until your residency is confirmed because Virginia is required to accept a certain percent of in-state students. They wouldn't accept you without knowing how it would affect the ratio of in state to out of state acceptances.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”