UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
catmo
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby catmo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:30 pm

Lily Pad wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:In!!!!!!!!!! Oooh yes.


Congrats!

I just got the "call us about your application" email this afternoon, in as well!


Congrats to you both and Champion!

User avatar
Champion
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:13 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Champion » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:32 pm

spiritniffler189 wrote:
amc987 wrote:
Champion wrote:Got the email saying to call in about my application. If this is what I think it is, looks like my LOCI worked.


Congrats!! I am debating sending in a LOCI or a why V statement. I already sent in a personal statement and a diversity statement and an addendum, so I didn't want to overwhelm my file by submitting additional info. I also feel a little funny doing it because even though I think UVA is a great school with a lot of cool programs, I'm not sure that I'd choose it over some of the places I've already gotten in. To that end, it feels a little disingenuous to send one in just so I can save myself from the inevitable WL/ding.

Thoughts??


I'm in the same exact boat. I'm leaning towards not doing it for the same reason; but I also think it'd be nice to potentially have scholarship leverage. And to feel less guilty -- if you paid to apply, then why not? I received a fee waiver so I can't make myself feel better :)


I wasn't going to ride a Waitlist out because I wouldn't attend UVA at sticker and in my situation it looked like I was headed that route. So that's what made me do it. And now I'm happy I did because any scholarship I get I can take to Michigan who didn't give me money upfront. And then with berkeley's matching program money from UVA is great.

User avatar
Take Two
Posts: 552
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:30 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Take Two » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Congrats folks! :D

User avatar
ganggreen
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:40 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ganggreen » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:46 pm

In via call from Dean Richard today! 164/3.9... was not at all expecting to get in because of my LSAT. She did ask about how I did last semester (4.0, sounded pleased), so maybe they're trying to raise their GPA median.

User avatar
Champion
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:13 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Champion » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:50 pm

ganggreen wrote:In via call from Dean Richard today! 164/3.9... was not at all expecting to get in because of my LSAT. She did ask about how I did last semester (4.0, sounded pleased), so maybe they're trying to raise their GPA median.


What GPA do schools have to report: the one they accepted you with, or the one you matriculate with (I guess this question only applies to undergrads)?

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby chem » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:52 pm

Champion wrote:
ganggreen wrote:In via call from Dean Richard today! 164/3.9... was not at all expecting to get in because of my LSAT. She did ask about how I did last semester (4.0, sounded pleased), so maybe they're trying to raise their GPA median.


What GPA do schools have to report: the one they accepted you with, or the one you matriculate with (I guess this question only applies to undergrads)?


The one LSAC has on file I believe

User avatar
ganggreen
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:40 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ganggreen » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:57 pm

chem wrote:
Champion wrote:
ganggreen wrote:In via call from Dean Richard today! 164/3.9... was not at all expecting to get in because of my LSAT. She did ask about how I did last semester (4.0, sounded pleased), so maybe they're trying to raise their GPA median.


What GPA do schools have to report: the one they accepted you with, or the one you matriculate with (I guess this question only applies to undergrads)?


The one LSAC has on file I believe


And many schools require an updated transcript be sent to LSAC after your first semester (which would change your GPA "on file"), so perhaps the one they get to report reflects any changes after the first semester.

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby EMZE » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:58 pm

ganggreen wrote:In via call from Dean Richard today! 164/3.9... was not at all expecting to get in because of my LSAT. She did ask about how I did last semester (4.0, sounded pleased), so maybe they're trying to raise their GPA median.


Thats great! Congratulations. When did you submit your application? Are you URM?

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby chem » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:59 pm

ganggreen wrote:
chem wrote:
Champion wrote:
ganggreen wrote:In via call from Dean Richard today! 164/3.9... was not at all expecting to get in because of my LSAT. She did ask about how I did last semester (4.0, sounded pleased), so maybe they're trying to raise their GPA median.


What GPA do schools have to report: the one they accepted you with, or the one you matriculate with (I guess this question only applies to undergrads)?


The one LSAC has on file I believe


And many schools require an updated transcript be sent to LSAC after your first semester (which would change your GPA "on file"), so perhaps the one they get to report reflects any changes after the first semester.


First semester of law school? The only one that asked me to update was Cornell, the rest were happy to take me as is. Probably because they know the GPA volatility of engineering senior year projects

User avatar
ganggreen
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:40 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ganggreen » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:06 pm

EMZE wrote:
ganggreen wrote:In via call from Dean Richard today! 164/3.9... was not at all expecting to get in because of my LSAT. She did ask about how I did last semester (4.0, sounded pleased), so maybe they're trying to raise their GPA median.


Thats great! Congratulations. When did you submit your application? Are you URM?


Thanks! Submitted 12/1. Non-URM, but strong softs perhaps? 16-credit thesis that only a handful at my school write each year.

Chem: first semester of senior year... sorry should have been clearer

dolfan0516
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby dolfan0516 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:09 pm

ganggreen wrote:
EMZE wrote:
ganggreen wrote:In via call from Dean Richard today! 164/3.9... was not at all expecting to get in because of my LSAT. She did ask about how I did last semester (4.0, sounded pleased), so maybe they're trying to raise their GPA median.


Thats great! Congratulations. When did you submit your application? Are you URM?


Thanks! Submitted 12/1. Non-URM, but strong softs perhaps? 16-credit thesis that only a handful at my school write each year.

Chem: first semester of senior year... sorry should have been clearer


Congrats! Guess I have a better chance than I thought, same stats as you

User avatar
ganggreen
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:40 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ganggreen » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:11 pm

Since I had only heard from lower-ranked schools who awarded me big scholarships before today, I was feeling totally fine about going to a 20 or 30-something ranked school and paying next to nothing.

But this changes things. How do those planning on paying sticker at UVA feel about $220k of debt? It honestly makes me sick to my stomach.

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby chem » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:17 pm

ganggreen wrote:Since I had only heard from lower-ranked schools who awarded me big scholarships before today, I was feeling totally fine about going to a 20 or 30-something ranked school and paying next to nothing.

But this changes things. How do those planning on paying sticker at UVA feel about $220k of debt? It honestly makes me sick to my stomach.


I feel ya. I'll most likely be paying sticker or something close to it with loans. I feel that it is much more likely that you will strike out at biglaw or a COA clerkship (my personal goal) at a school in the 20's or 30's. My cost of living will be taken care of by my fiance completely, which is nice, and my parents will help a little bit. Factor into that IP for at least a paid 2L position and my debt load will be equivalent to the first year big law salary. Its a risk, but I believe its ultimately a smaller risk than a lower ranked school. Of course, I have not gotten any big scholarships yet, so I could change my tune. It depends on what you want. You have a bigger chance of making it big out of UVA, but it takes on a larger risk

tl;dr: My risk aversion is low enough that the risk to reward equation balances

ucbkenn
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:16 pm

In today! 172. 3.3. Was pretty surprised.

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Mr. Somebody » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:17 pm

ucbkenn wrote:In today! 172. 3.3. Was pretty surprised.

Congrats! Dates, and in-state or OOS?

ucbkenn
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:35 pm

OOS. Submitted 10-26. I can't even remember the last update I had, if any.

ucbkenn
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:40 pm

And I didn't submit a Why Virginia

barneytrouble
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby barneytrouble » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:37 pm

Probably a stupid question but I submitted ED on the 6th and looking at LSN give myself about a 50/50 chance of being WLed. I already wrote a Why UVA, so would an LOCI be worth sending the day I get my decision back or am I supposed to wait a bit or what?

User avatar
MissElphaba
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:59 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MissElphaba » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:41 pm

ucbkenn wrote:In today! 172. 3.3. Was pretty surprised.


Congrats! When did you apply?

User avatar
acadec
Posts: 289
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:35 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby acadec » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:43 pm

If UVA's basketball team beats Duke's tonight, they'll jump a couple spots on my list. Come on guys.

User avatar
Smumps
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Smumps » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:44 pm

ucbkenn wrote:In today! 172. 3.3. Was pretty surprised.


Gives me hope. I have similar numbers 171/3.5x, and radio silence since early November.

ucbkenn
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:54 pm

MissElphaba wrote:
ucbkenn wrote:In today! 172. 3.3. Was pretty surprised.


Congrats! When did you apply?


Late October.

AriGoldButNicer
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:03 pm

ucbkenn wrote:
MissElphaba wrote:
ucbkenn wrote:In today! 172. 3.3. Was pretty surprised.


Congrats! When did you apply?


Late October.

congrats rd?

AriGoldButNicer
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:03 pm

good luck everyone. if u get in, there are some meet ups going down so get in so u can get drunk.

ucbkenn
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ucbkenn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:03 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:
ucbkenn wrote:
MissElphaba wrote:
ucbkenn wrote:In today! 172. 3.3. Was pretty surprised.


Congrats! When did you apply?


Late October.

congrats rd?


Yeah




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dala77, hellohalo, potatocowpower and 8 guests