UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MumofCad

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:22 pm

JoeMo wrote:
MumofCad wrote:Actually this is not the case at some schools at least. I don't know about UVA or Michigan because I don't have friends there and haven't visited, but I met a couple students at H (which doesn't offer merit awards) that negotiated or just received more in need-based aid throughout the summer. One said she negotiated it, but didn't specify how (not sure if it was with another offer or just through, "hey, I need this to be able to afford to live"). The other said she had another offer and was originally told she would get no more after attempting to negotiate, but then received a random letter in the mail 3 weeks before school letting her know some additional funds had been freed up for her (I believe she was already committed to going at the time, so...not sure the negotiation would have played a role). Anyhow...some evidence that even need-based aid can be flexible. But again, I only have that one school and perhaps someone knows better at UVA or a current UVA student can chime in...

Ha! that's really interesting. Now I'll have to look into it because everyone I've talked to has pretty much said unless you're dirt poor (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way) you won't get any aid. But this is reassuring. Also, Harvard might not be the best indicator. I only say this because I know the UG is extremely liberal with their need based funds so I'm assuming the LS is also more liberal than most LS. This is just conjecture on my part though and I have no real evidence to the LS being more lenient than others.

(Gosh, I really hate having to qualify every statement so as to not get jumped on)

I think most people I've talked to have said H is more generous than most with their need-based, so that could be true.

I will say though that apparently for us cane-walkers, that they take into consideration things like child-care costs when determining need-based aid. So I think even if you aren't dirt poor, but have responsibilities, that can equal good need-based aid. If you're over 29, you also don't need to factor your parent's income in at all (and only a portion each year you are younger).

So I figure that when you lose half your income, have significant child-care costs, etc. that you are likely to qualify for some aid at most schools, depending on the COL in those places. I'm not sure how they factor that stuff in though. I mean right now we live in a very high COL area so obviously my husband is making alot more money than he would if we moved to AA or C-ville. I would guess they will base on what he made this year, which would be unfortunate, but I know they re-evaluate so it might just be a hit the first year?

Anyhow, put your kids in a really expensive daycare this month! You've got time ;)

sn20

Postby sn20 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:35 pm

MumofCad wrote:
Samara wrote:
MumofCad wrote:
LaCumparsita wrote:In response to Mumofcad, a large scholarship from Virginia would certainly tempt me to choose Virginia over Michigan. The two schools are on the same level, in my mind.

We're actually in opposite boats in terms of acceptances/money at MV. I'm not sure when I should start considering negotiating. Does this happen in March after all the need-based stuff is done too? I don't want to wait too late, but this seems too early since they haven't even finished notifying early submitters at either school. Maybe late Jan? I mean you want to have enough time to go back and forth with the other schools and Michigan has that summer start....all so confusing.

From what I understand, 67.5k is the highest amount offered outside of the Darrow. So, apply for the Darrow (which I imagine you'll get) and take it from there. I don't think there's really much negotiation to do.

Thanks -very helpful! No Darrow offer yet. No offer of any kind from M..

Someone in the M thread said the Darrow invites had gone out, but I didn't see anything to indicate that. Thus far, I've seen only Dean scholarship things. I saw last year that the Darrow invites weren't till Jan. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'm hoping that person was wrong or a troll because I was admitted with that first group so I doubt if they've started sending them out to anyone that I can expect to get one at this point since my group has likely already been re-evaluated for that stuff. I was trying to figure out if I should stay in at all or just negotiate with UVA. I guess I should wait until late Jan to throw in the towel on getting an invite?

Mum- I believe some initial Darrow invites have gone out. I personally didn't receive one but I remember at least 2 or 3 people mentioning they had on the Michigan thread (don't think it was 1 troll haha). Also, with your numbers/softs, if you haven't received a Dean's scholarship yet (came pretty quickly), they must be sending you the Darrow invite! I wouldn't sweat it!

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:05 pm

Thanks SN! I searched the wrong terms yesterday (Invites instead of invite in that thread). Hmm....I guess I'll wait till the more typical late Jan date since the way the re-evaluate at any of these schools and notify is a mystery. Ugh. I wish I could get a firm answer on an outside award so I could just drop all this and have my cycle over. Oh well. Patience patience. Turns out getting early answers really doesn't help at any of these schools unless you are ED. You still end up waiting around for more information.

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:07 pm

Just got an email from the Dean asking to call her back, which I did immediately. Accepted with a $75k scholarship! Unbelievably thrilled!

fattmunk19

Postby fattmunk19 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:11 pm

*********************************************************************************************************************
Last edited by fattmunk19 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:17 pm

I just got my UVA acceptance package in the mail, after getting a call from Jason Dugas last Friday. I was very surprised to see a letter inside stating that I've been awarded a $75,000 scholarship! That wasn't mentioned at all during the phone conversation.

Since someone else got $75,000 today, I'm guessing UVA still has a decent amount of money available. Also, I applied on 9/23, so don't lose hope if you applied early and haven't heard anything yet.

The package looks to have a lot of helpful information, by the way (second only to Vandy's black box, imo).

so_fetch

Postby so_fetch » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:32 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:I just got my UVA acceptance package in the mail, after getting a call from Jason Dugas last Friday. I was very surprised to see a letter inside stating that I've been awarded a $75,000 scholarship! That wasn't mentioned at all during the phone conversation.

Since someone else got $75,000 today, I'm guessing UVA still has a decent amount of money available. Also, I applied on 9/23, so don't lose hope if you applied early and haven't heard anything yet.

The package looks to have a lot of helpful information, by the way (second only to Vandy's black box, imo).

Wow, congrats to you guys!! My LSAT is 169 so I am not expecting much if anything, from anywhere. Ugh! But u guys will get into HYS and maybe they will give us underlings your scholarships 8)

baconpuffs

Postby baconpuffs » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:40 pm

These scholly notices are really encouraging. Does anyone know if UVA matches offers from peer schools, or at least gets close? UVA is awesome, but 54k from M tips the scale Ann Arbor's way for the time being.

poe

Postby poe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:42 pm

For those accepted w/ the large scholly, did you write a "Why UVA"?

so_fetch

Postby so_fetch » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:49 pm

baconpuffs wrote:These scholly notices are really encouraging. Does anyone know if UVA matches offers from peer schools, or at least gets close? UVA is awesome, but 54k from M tips the scale Ann Arbor's way for the time being.

I am wondering this as well. I would really love to end up at UVA though and would not consider applying to M except I am now considering it so that I could use the scholarship leverage. The not applying to M thing is just personal reasons based around location (and I dont mean like ann arbor vs. charlottesville the cities themselves), not anything against the school. I just am not one of those people who is applying to the top 20/30 schools and going wherever get the most money / highest ranking. So far I've only applied places I would actually go, and that's like 6 places, UVA being at the top of the list. From looking at current and previous (last year) applicants with my exact numbers, I am thinking I can expect about 45k at Michigan. Would that get me anywhere at UVA?

(obviously working with the not 100% safe assumption that I'll get in at both places :) )

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:50 pm

poe wrote:For those accepted w/ the large scholly, did you write a "Why UVA"?

I did, and I have some strong and genuine reasons for preferring UVA, so I'm hoping/guessing my "Why UVA" was compelling.

so_fetch

Postby so_fetch » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:03 pm

I am guessing that since you asked this question, you didn't write a "why UVA?"... correct me if I'm wrong...

UVA is pretty much my top choice so I have been collecting as much UVA admissions wisdom as possible , so to speak, and I think the consensus if that you really need a Why UVA if you are out of state and regular decision. Ok...by "need" I do not mean "need " like in LSAT necessary/sufficient terms, I just mean like you really SHOULD write one if you want to feel confident that you're giving yourself the best shot possible. they are very sensitive about their yield. And this is all for people who are at borderline and/or target numbers.. If you are like MumofCad or someone with amazing stats you can get in very early and with really great money, as we've seen. But then again who knows, maybe they will YP you or your stats aren't as good as you thought? if you are serious about UVA, just write the Why UVA and then at least you will know that you did the most you could do

I am not trying to like bring you down or anything, I am just thinking from a friendly perspective that if you did not already know this about the Why UVA, you might want to know. And you can still submit one by just emailing it to their admissions office and asking for it to be added to your application. :)

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:09 pm

so_fetch wrote:

if you are serious about UVA, just write the Why UVA and then at least you will know that you did the most you could do

+1 - I think this is actually THE best reason to write a Why X statement at most schools. If you're serious, it means peace of mind that whether they take you or not, you gave them all the information you could to lean toward acceptance. I think peace of mind is worth alot in this process.

I wrote a why uva too :)

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:32 pm

so_fetch wrote: I just mean like you really SHOULD write one if you want to feel confident that you're giving yourself the best shot possible.

Seriously, this applies across the board. If you're being given the opportunity to write a Why UVA, Why Mich, Why GW, Why TTTT, you should write it for a number of reasons:

1) It shows that you are serious about the application process and have taken every possible measure to send a complete package for consideration.

2) It might make up for some deficiencies elsewhere in your file. I am CONVINCED that my Why Mich had very much to do with my admission. Given my low (relatively) LSAT score and looking at everything else, it had to be the Why Mich.

By the same token, my Why UVA (which admittedly wasn't very good) is what kept me out of UVA.

3) It's not as intense as the personal statement so it really does give you an opportunity to show a slightly more informal side of yourself than the PS does.

Seriously, do it.

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:33 pm

Checking in!

Just sent in my ED app. Hopefully there's still room for another splitter!

baconpuffs

Postby baconpuffs » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:25 am

baconpuffs wrote:These scholly notices are really encouraging. Does anyone know if UVA matches offers from peer schools, or at least gets close? UVA is awesome, but 54k from M tips the scale Ann Arbor's way for the time being.

Signal boosting this for me and so_fetch... Someone? Anyone? Bueller?

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:31 am

baconpuffs wrote:

You never know till you try. All the schools will take it into consideration.

so_fetch

Postby so_fetch » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:55 pm

MumofCad wrote:
baconpuffs wrote:

You never know till you try. All the schools will take it into consideration.

Ok Thanks... guess I should start working on a Why M ... Damn why didn't I do this earlier :roll:

lawschoolquestions57

Postby lawschoolquestions57 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:59 pm

Is there a criteria by which scholarship offers are given out? Received 20k.

Submitted 11/15, admitted today!

maxpower430

Postby maxpower430 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:28 pm

lawschoolquestions57 wrote:Is there a criteria by which scholarship offers are given out? Received 20k.

Congrats, in state/ed? At this stage I'd imagine the scholarship stuff has to be mainly merit based, since you don't fill out need access stuff for the app (or at least I didn't). That's awesome though, I submitted around that date too, gives me hope of hearing back haha.

caminante

Postby caminante » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:29 pm

Just letting you all know that I submitted 12/5 and was admitted today with scholly. So, if you waited late to submit there is definitely still hope for money! I did write a Why UVA as well. I have very strong ties to DC and want to be there for my career, so UVA is one of my top choices.

Great start to the weekend :)

thestillpoint

Postby thestillpoint » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:31 pm

caminante wrote:Just letting you all know that I submitted 12/5 and was admitted today with scholly. So, if you waited late to submit there is definitely still hope for money! I did write a Why UVA as well. I have very strong ties to DC and want to be there for my career, so UVA is one of my top choices.

Great start to the weekend :)

Wow, that is a quick turnaround! Congrats -- also a great holiday gift. Hopefully UVA hasn't finished with November submits yet though !

lawschoolquestions57

Postby lawschoolquestions57 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:39 pm

maxpower430 wrote:
lawschoolquestions57 wrote:Is there a criteria by which scholarship offers are given out? Received 20k.

Congrats, in state/ed? At this stage I'd imagine the scholarship stuff has to be mainly merit based, since you don't fill out need access stuff for the app (or at least I didn't). That's awesome though, I submitted around that date too, gives me hope of hearing back haha.

Nope, out of state and regular d. Oh I see, is merit = LSAT? Yeah, I'm sure you'll hear of something great!

so_fetch

Postby so_fetch » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:42 pm

Congrats to you guys!!! :D

I submitted the first week of November and have not heard back yet. So... Not sure what conclusions we can draw from that except your stats probably matter a lot in terms of when you hear back

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:53 pm

Congrats to all admits today!! been lurking ITT for a while. Admitted today via phone call w/$$$ Super Stoked. For info, Submitted 11/12. RD out of state.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”