UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:10 am

LaCumparsita wrote:Sorry guys (Poptorts in particular), I really didn't mean to wave it anyone's face, I was just responding to Mumocad's question about whether I was still considering Virginia with the other options I had. I realize now that I should have responded with a private message. I think Virginia is a great school and anyone would be lucky to go there!

Also, I think you may have misunderstood me. My wanting to visit my friend is no reflection on the caliber of the school. For example, I also have several friends who go to Stanford, and besides wanting to be admitted bc Stanford is a great school, I want an excuse to visit those friends. Again, no reflection on the school.


I tend to agree with your statement. I have the acceptance I'm almost positive I'm going to accept right now. But I can't be 100% sure that it's the right choice until I see my other options. What I am doing is as I become positive that I won't be exercising those options I am withdrawing my applications. Others that I still would consider with substantial $ I am keeping around to see what happens. I will release them all well in time for my seat to go to someone that really wants to go there. Also, I don't think this seat for a seat mentality is accurate. Most schools know the number of people they have to admit far exceeds the number of matriculants you're hoping to get. For example, at UConn I was told that they were looking for a class of 240 (or somewhere in that area) but that they would admit about 2000 people to get that, so I doubt my 1 seat really makes that much of a difference at this stage in the game. Although I know it might later and as soon as I'm no longer considering I will withdraw.

User avatar
AmandaPB
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby AmandaPB » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:13 am

thelawyler wrote:If somebody even has a 1% chance of attending, they have every right to not withdraw their application. They paid a hundred bucks for that app, earned that acceptance, and deserve to have the right to choose when to withdraw without feeling morally obligated to give it up asap.

Amen

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:04 am

AmandaPB wrote:
thelawyler wrote:If somebody even has a 1% chance of attending, they have every right to not withdraw their application. They paid a hundred bucks for that app, earned that acceptance, and deserve to have the right to choose when to withdraw without feeling morally obligated to give it up asap.

Amen


I just went to stalk your LSN and your cycle is the stuff dreams are made of. You must be so elated and conflicted at the same time.

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:07 am

LaCumparsita wrote:Sorry guys (Poptorts in particular), I really didn't mean to wave it anyone's face, I was just responding to Mumocad's question about whether I was still considering Virginia with the other options I had. I realize now that I should have responded with a private message. I think Virginia is a great school and anyone would be lucky to go there!

Also, I think you may have misunderstood me. My wanting to visit my friend is no reflection on the caliber of the school. For example, I also have several friends who go to Stanford, and besides wanting to be admitted bc Stanford is a great school, I want an excuse to visit those friends. Again, no reflection on the school.


Whatever. You didn't post anything wrong. I asked a question and you answered it. Sorry you got jumped on for a little honesty. Everyone's just on edge waiting for decisions. I believe exactly what you said has been said at least 100 times in this thread and others - or directed at people as in "Stop worrying about X, you know you're going to get into Y" earlier in the cycle.

You have every right to stay in wherever you want and would consider going. Tons of people on here apply to schools they have no intention of even considering just to leverage scholarships elsewhere. I personally didn't, but I don't see the difference here.

Anyhow, you weren't UVA bashing in any way. Nor did you say anything to indicate it wasn't a spectacular school. You reason is perfectly justified. We're all allowed to weigh more highly ranked schools vs money at lower-ranked schools. Even the UVA adcoms expect this when making their offers...I mean really, if "are you considering UVA with money over Harvard?" is not a legitimate question in this forum, what's the point. Use LSN to track acceptances, a forum is for discussions.

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:14 am

I am fully in La Cump's corner here. He didn't bring the issue up, all he did was complain about not getting accepted into UVA yet (which is 90% of these threads anyway). Others brought up the fact that he was accepted into Harvard

How is this even remotely bragging or showing off? He didnt bring it up or have any intention to, other people picked this fight by saying "you got into harvard, im jealous...blah blah blah or your not going to uva anyway...."

La Cump, I see no reason for you to apologize at all.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:20 am

thederangedwang wrote:I am fully in La Cump's corner here. He didn't bring the issue up, all he did was complain about not getting accepted into UVA yet (which is 90% of these threads anyway). Others brought up the fact that he was accepted into Harvard

How is this even remotely bragging or showing off? He didnt bring it up or have any intention to, other people picked this fight by saying "you got into harvard, im jealous...blah blah blah or your not going to uva anyway...."

La Cump, I see no reason for you to apologize at all.



I think the responses might be in reference to this:

JoeMo wrote:
LaCumparsita wrote:Well I would consider them more heavily if they a) accepted me and b) offered me some money! I also want an excuse to visit Virginia since one of my close friends lives there. But I guess I would probably still choose Harvard lol.


Stop playing. You're not going to UVA. You're headed straight to Cambridge and you know it. Your UHaul is outside waiting to be packed up.



Where La Cumparsita said "I would probably still choose Harvard lol"

I didn't even read that before I said what I said but I was just being playful. I didn't mean any harm by it at all and when I came back today to see the reactions people had, I felt bad. That wasn't my intention at all.

I've done the same thing to MoC recently where I keep telling her that's where she's going but it's more because I know they have amazing opportunities that some of us would kill for.

I really hope what I said was not misinterpreted.

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby chem » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:22 am

JoeMo wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:I am fully in La Cump's corner here. He didn't bring the issue up, all he did was complain about not getting accepted into UVA yet (which is 90% of these threads anyway). Others brought up the fact that he was accepted into Harvard

How is this even remotely bragging or showing off? He didnt bring it up or have any intention to, other people picked this fight by saying "you got into harvard, im jealous...blah blah blah or your not going to uva anyway...."

La Cump, I see no reason for you to apologize at all.



I think the responses might be in reference to this:

JoeMo wrote:
LaCumparsita wrote:Well I would consider them more heavily if they a) accepted me and b) offered me some money! I also want an excuse to visit Virginia since one of my close friends lives there. But I guess I would probably still choose Harvard lol.


Stop playing. You're not going to UVA. You're headed straight to Cambridge and you know it. Your UHaul is outside waiting to be packed up.


People are getting so touchy now that its decision time. I remember when everyone was all buddy buddy


Where La Cumparsita said "I would probably still choose Harvard lol"

I didn't even read that before I said what I said but I was just being playful. I didn't mean any harm by it at all and when I came back today to see the reactions people had, I felt bad. That wasn't my intention at all.

I've done the same thing to MoC recently where I keep telling her that's where she's going but it's more because I know they have amazing opportunities that some of us would kill for.

I really hope what I said was not misinterpreted.


Wow, didnt post what I typed. and samara beat me to it

Remember when we were all friends? Then decisions started coming out
Last edited by chem on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Samara » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:24 am

At the risk of getting sucked into a fracas, I think the two sides here are miscommunicating. People who are YHS-secure absolutely have a right to consider options such as Virginia. Also, they aren't keeping a seat from anyone, so withdrawing at this point would have no effect on anyone's cycle.

I think what some people find annoying (and I don't know if anyone involved in this discussion has done this) is when people who are YHS-secure take the complaining over the top and say things like "it's been so long since I submitted and I haven't gotten a decision, I guess this means I'm not getting in." If you have the numbers for an H admission, there's no way you aren't getting a UVa admission. This is a stressful time for everyone, so let's just all be patient. We'll all get our decisions in due time.

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:27 am

I mean still, that was La Cumps answer to Mum's question of "wait, you got into all these other great school, why are you still considering UVA?"

so, that was a legitimate answer to a question posed by Mum which started this whole thing. So as I said, its not like La Cump came into this thread mentioning how he got into harvard and whatnot, other people brought it up first....and thats my whole pt.

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:34 am

thederangedwang wrote:I mean still, that was La Cumps answer to Mum's question of "wait, you got into all these other great school, why are you still considering UVA?"

so, that was a legitimate answer to a question posed by Mum which started this whole thing. So as I said, its not like La Cump came into this thread mentioning how he got into harvard and whatnot, other people brought it up first....and thats my whole pt.


Hahahah - that's funny that this assumption is what was made. I actually didn't mention Harvard at all (quote: "So are you considering UVA over the other schools you have gotten into? I'm confused. You have some really great offers..."). I asked if she was still considering UVA over other great offers and everyone seems to assume I meant Harvard. I was actually referring to the large scholarship offer at UVA's peer school - Michigan. I didn't specify, just used the general because she has some other great offers too (like Harvard as has become obvious). Regardless, it was just a discussion about how she was weighing her options.

And ITA with Samarra, I can understand how people still waiting with not the same options get annoyed. In this case, I wasn't annoyed, but I asked the question, because I am curious about what people are thinking as they weigh options similar to mine...particularly when it comes to UVA vs. Michigan. She seemed particularly anxious since still checking UVA periodically so I figured there might be some great reasons to go to UVA that would come out. *Shrug*
Last edited by MumofCad on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
LaCumparsita
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 11:54 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby LaCumparsita » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:35 am

Haha thanks guys, I appreciate the support. Just for clarification, I'm a she :D And I've never in my life considered myself or been called a pretentious douchebag, so I felt the need to apologize. After rereading what I wrote, I realized that it definitely could have come off badly...

JoeMo, no worries at all! I completely got your playful tone, I was more responding to PopTorts and the lawyler. :)

User avatar
LaCumparsita
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 11:54 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby LaCumparsita » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:38 am

In response to Mumofcad, a large scholarship from Virginia would certainly tempt me to choose Virginia over Michigan. The two schools are on the same level, in my mind.
Last edited by LaCumparsita on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:42 am

And as a side note, I've been wondering if there is a site where we can sort of work out easily what all these offers mean? With the variance in COL and tuition across the schools, I'd like an easy way to give some context to how to weigh these offers. I'm sure I could work it out and come up with estimates, but if someone's already done the work in previous years (as is usually the case on here), I'd rather just plug things in. I think it would help with withdrawing as well from schools because I could tell easily if a comparable offer is even likely or possible...I can't imagine I'm the only one thinking about this. Or about what I would need to negotiate to make going to a lower-ranked school a clearly better option. I could pull numbers out of the air, but I'd prefer to have it worked out.

ETA: And actually, I'm pretty sure I know where I am going, but I'd like to have numbers to give from other schools to negotiate if need be in a clear way, where I can make as compelling of case as necessary for a final package.

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:50 am

LaCumparsita wrote:In response to Mumofcad, a large scholarship from Virginia would certainly tempt me to choose Virginia over Michigan. The two schools are on the same level, in my mind.


We're actually in opposite boats in terms of acceptances/money at MV. I'm not sure when I should start considering negotiating. Does this happen in March after all the need-based stuff is done too? I don't want to wait too late, but this seems too early since they haven't even finished notifying early submitters at either school. Maybe late Jan? I mean you want to have enough time to go back and forth with the other schools and Michigan has that summer start....all so confusing.

AspiringAcademic
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:36 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby AspiringAcademic » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:52 am

Since I am actively considering Virginia over Harvard, and know someone who picked Virginia over Yale, I come down firmly on the side of not withdrawing prematurely. The future is bright yet still rather confusing. No reason to rush things.

MumofCad wrote:And as a side note, I've been wondering if there is a site where we can sort of work out easily what all these offers mean? With the variance in COL and tuition across the schools, I'd like an easy way to give some context to how to weigh these offers. I'm sure I could work it out and come up with estimates, but if someone's already done the work in previous years (as is usually the case on here), I'd rather just plug things in. I think it would help with withdrawing as well from schools because I could tell easily if a comparable offer is even likely or possible...I can't imagine I'm the only one thinking about this. Or about what I would need to negotiate to make going to a lower-ranked school a clearly better option. I could pull numbers out of the air, but I'd prefer to have it worked out.

Also interested in this^. Surely someone has an overly detailed spreadsheet hanging around.

User avatar
Cornelius
Posts: 505
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Cornelius » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:59 am

AspiringAcademic wrote:Since I am actively considering Virginia over Harvard, and know someone who picked Virginia over Yale, I come down firmly on the side of not withdrawing prematurely. The future is bright yet still rather confusing. No reason to rush things.

Good lord, would be interested to hear the reasoning behind that. Not that there's anything wrong with Virginia, but we're talking about Yale.
Last edited by Cornelius on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Samara » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:59 am

MumofCad wrote:
LaCumparsita wrote:In response to Mumofcad, a large scholarship from Virginia would certainly tempt me to choose Virginia over Michigan. The two schools are on the same level, in my mind.


We're actually in opposite boats in terms of acceptances/money at MV. I'm not sure when I should start considering negotiating. Does this happen in March after all the need-based stuff is done too? I don't want to wait too late, but this seems too early since they haven't even finished notifying early submitters at either school. Maybe late Jan? I mean you want to have enough time to go back and forth with the other schools and Michigan has that summer start....all so confusing.

From what I understand, 67.5k is the highest amount offered outside of the Darrow. So, apply for the Darrow (which I imagine you'll get) and take it from there. I don't think there's really much negotiation to do.

User avatar
LaCumparsita
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 11:54 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby LaCumparsita » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:59 am

I am in the same boat as you Mumofcad, it is all very confusing. I think it is probably too early to start negotiating... I would say January at the very earliest. I would think negotiating happens in terms of merit-based offers alone, since the cut-off for need-based offers varys from school to school? But it's just a guess.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:04 pm

LaCumparsita wrote:I am in the same boat as you Mumofcad, it is all very confusing. I think it is probably too early to start negotiating... I would say January at the very earliest. I would think negotiating happens in terms of merit-based offers alone, since the cut-off for need-based offers varys from school to school? But it's just a guess.


I think so as well, only because most people don't qualify for need-based aid so it really doesn't play a big role in the decisions for merit aid.

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:08 pm

Samara wrote:
MumofCad wrote:
LaCumparsita wrote:In response to Mumofcad, a large scholarship from Virginia would certainly tempt me to choose Virginia over Michigan. The two schools are on the same level, in my mind.


We're actually in opposite boats in terms of acceptances/money at MV. I'm not sure when I should start considering negotiating. Does this happen in March after all the need-based stuff is done too? I don't want to wait too late, but this seems too early since they haven't even finished notifying early submitters at either school. Maybe late Jan? I mean you want to have enough time to go back and forth with the other schools and Michigan has that summer start....all so confusing.

From what I understand, 67.5k is the highest amount offered outside of the Darrow. So, apply for the Darrow (which I imagine you'll get) and take it from there. I don't think there's really much negotiation to do.


Thanks -very helpful! No Darrow offer yet. No offer of any kind from M..

Someone in the M thread said the Darrow invites had gone out, but I didn't see anything to indicate that. Thus far, I've seen only Dean scholarship things. I saw last year that the Darrow invites weren't till Jan. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'm hoping that person was wrong or a troll because I was admitted with that first group so I doubt if they've started sending them out to anyone that I can expect to get one at this point since my group has likely already been re-evaluated for that stuff. I was trying to figure out if I should stay in at all or just negotiate with UVA. I guess I should wait until late Jan to throw in the towel on getting an invite?

AspiringAcademic
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:36 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby AspiringAcademic » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:09 pm

Cornelius wrote:
AspiringAcademic wrote:Since I am actively considering Virginia over Harvard, and know someone who picked Virginia over Yale, I come down firmly on the side of not withdrawing prematurely. The future is bright yet still rather confusing. No reason to rush things.

Good lord, would be interested to hear the reasoning behind that. Not that there's anything wrong with Virginia, but we're talking about Yale.

As I understand it, he had a full ride offer from Virginia, no desire to do big law, and a wife who liked it better down there.

User avatar
Cornelius
Posts: 505
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Cornelius » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:11 pm

AspiringAcademic wrote:As I understand it, he had a full ride offer from Virginia, no desire to do big law, and a wife who liked it better down there.

Fair enough, though Yale obviously opens other doors besides Big Law.

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:12 pm

JoeMo wrote:
LaCumparsita wrote:I am in the same boat as you Mumofcad, it is all very confusing. I think it is probably too early to start negotiating... I would say January at the very earliest. I would think negotiating happens in terms of merit-based offers alone, since the cut-off for need-based offers varys from school to school? But it's just a guess.


I think so as well, only because most people don't qualify for need-based aid so it really doesn't play a big role in the decisions for merit aid.


Actually this is not the case at some schools at least. I don't know about UVA or Michigan because I don't have friends there and haven't visited, but I met a couple students at H (which doesn't offer merit awards) that negotiated or just received more in need-based aid throughout the summer. One said she negotiated it, but didn't specify how (not sure if it was with another offer or just through, "hey, I need this to be able to afford to live"). The other said she had another offer and was originally told she would get no more after attempting to negotiate, but then received a random letter in the mail 3 weeks before school letting her know some additional funds had been freed up for her (I believe she was already committed to going at the time, so...not sure the negotiation would have played a role). Anyhow...some evidence that even need-based aid can be flexible. But again, I only have that one school and perhaps someone knows better at UVA or a current UVA student can chime in...

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Samara » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:14 pm

Cornelius wrote:
AspiringAcademic wrote:As I understand it, he had a full ride offer from Virginia, no desire to do big law, and a wife who liked it better down there.

Fair enough, though Yale obviously opens other doors besides Big Law.

Yeah, I would think that wanting to do biglaw would be one the biggest reasons to choose UVa. Basically every other pursuit would be much more likely from Yale, but you'd still have a strong shot for biglaw at UVa.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:17 pm

MumofCad wrote:Actually this is not the case at some schools at least. I don't know about UVA or Michigan because I don't have friends there and haven't visited, but I met a couple students at H (which doesn't offer merit awards) that negotiated or just received more in need-based aid throughout the summer. One said she negotiated it, but didn't specify how (not sure if it was with another offer or just through, "hey, I need this to be able to afford to live"). The other said she had another offer and was originally told she would get no more after attempting to negotiate, but then received a random letter in the mail 3 weeks before school letting her know some additional funds had been freed up for her (I believe she was already committed to going at the time, so...not sure the negotiation would have played a role). Anyhow...some evidence that even need-based aid can be flexible. But again, I only have that one school and perhaps someone knows better at UVA or a current UVA student can chime in...


Ha! that's really interesting. Now I'll have to look into it because everyone I've talked to has pretty much said unless you're dirt poor (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way) you won't get any aid. But this is reassuring. Also, Harvard might not be the best indicator. I only say this because I know the UG is extremely liberal with their need based funds so I'm assuming the LS is also more liberal than most LS. This is just conjecture on my part though and I have no real evidence to the LS being more lenient than others.

(Gosh, I really hate having to qualify every statement so as to not get jumped on)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”