UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MiAiLi

New

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by MiAiLi » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:55 pm

For those interested- In today via phone call. In-state. Why UVA. Slightly below both medians. No mention of scholarship during the call unfortunately. Submitted late October.

so_fetch

Bronze

Post by so_fetch » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:55 pm

hcsmith18 wrote:
so_fetch wrote:
hcsmith18 wrote:Ah okay thanks! I can't imagine adcomms having nothing better to do than trawl TLS, but you never know...maybe some of them have neurotically developed some unhealthy obsession with matching TLS profiles to applications, then accepting or rejecting people based on cuteness of avatar or something.

Such that I'm at least minorly contributing to this thread: LSAT over 175, GPA 3.9x, submitted 11/12. I'll be surprised if I don't get in, but I haven't heard anything yet.
Did you write a Why UVA? I would not be surprised if you were a YP candidate. They are weird anyway about RD out of state people let alone those with really great stats who will probably get into many higher-ranked schools. since you said you are a "noob" I will tell you YP means the school would practice "yield protection" - they don't let you in cause they think you will not attend and just hurt their accepted offer percentage
I didn't write a Why VA--I don't remember there being a place to upload one on the application? Maybe there was. At any rate, a Why VA I wrote would just be cliche and bad. I'm from the South and I suppose I could argue for some sort of cultural identity, but it'd be super weak.

They might be right--I got into Harvard already, and it would take some serious $$$ at Virginia for me to give that up. Still, yield protection is lame, man.
Yeah ... you getting into harvard is exactly why schools YP :) congrats though!

If you actually would take "serious $$$" at UVA then you should write a good why UVA and send it to them. I am sure if you wanted to go there you could get in and you would get "serious $$$" but if not, enjoy harvard. good choices either way

JAJAcinco

New

Post by JAJAcinco » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:04 pm

Nelson wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
JAJAcinco wrote:In-state resident denied. via email this morning
Anyone know anything in regards to UVA starting to average multiple LSATS?
Cuz if thats not the case I am officially confused >.<
this makes absolutely no sense.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/pjace17/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/singwhatisaid

These were the outright dings I could find remotely in that range. So it's not entirely unprecedented. Almost everything else was WL though, so I'd say there must be something fishy with that app.
Thanks alot for the input. The only thing I can think of was the classic error of inserting law school x instead of law school y. Happened only once in a minor part of my app, and sent an emailed correction a couple days later. Still, whose to say they didn't read the earlier version

American_in_China

Bronze

Post by American_in_China » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:08 pm

In China with my US phone turned off- woke up to an email from UVA Admissions saying they want to discuss my application, and to give Jason a call whenever its convenient for me.
DID I JUST MISS MY ACCEPTANCE CALL!?!?!?!?!
I really really hope so. Because that means I'm in lol. I've been complete since early November, so I don't think it could mean anything is missing from my application.

matvei

New

Post by matvei » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:58 pm

American_in_China wrote:In China with my US phone turned off- woke up to an email from UVA Admissions saying they want to discuss my application, and to give Jason a call whenever its convenient for me.
DID I JUST MISS MY ACCEPTANCE CALL!?!?!?!?!
I really really hope so. Because that means I'm in lol. I've been complete since early November, so I don't think it could mean anything is missing from my application.
Don't second guess yourself- you're totally in. Congrats!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:04 am

Just withdrew. Best of luck to those still waiting.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:42 am

JAJAcinco wrote:
Nelson wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
JAJAcinco wrote:In-state resident denied. via email this morning
Anyone know anything in regards to UVA starting to average multiple LSATS?
Cuz if thats not the case I am officially confused >.<
this makes absolutely no sense.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/pjace17/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/singwhatisaid

These were the outright dings I could find remotely in that range. So it's not entirely unprecedented. Almost everything else was WL though, so I'd say there must be something fishy with that app.
Thanks alot for the input. The only thing I can think of was the classic error of inserting law school x instead of law school y. Happened only once in a minor part of my app, and sent an emailed correction a couple days later. Still, whose to say they didn't read the earlier version
:| Whatever it was they saw it's unfortunate because your numbers really should be a lock especially in state. Was UVA your top choice? You should have a very good shot at M and P, and NYU, though given how the cycle has been so far.

American_in_China

Bronze

Post by American_in_China » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:22 am

Just got off the phone with Jason, it's confirmed, I AM IN!. Great bounceback from the waitlist at Chicago. Jason and I shot the breeze about UNC basketball for a while, and I can't be more happy right now. Looks like a no offer on scholarship money for now, but Jason encouraged me to tell them what I get from other schools, and get in touch with Dean Perry to talk about aid.

He said a few calls are going out today, so congrats to everyone else that hears from him. I have to say, UVA has been the nicest school so far in terms of admissions staff, with Vandy a close second.

acadec

Bronze

Post by acadec » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:28 am

American_in_China wrote:I have to say, UVA has been the nicest school so far in terms of admissions staff, with Vandy a close second.
I agree; the woman to whom I spoke was really sweet. Definitely distinguished them in my book.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

so_fetch

Bronze

Post by so_fetch » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:10 pm

American_in_China wrote:Just got off the phone with Jason, it's confirmed, I AM IN!. Great bounceback from the waitlist at Chicago. Jason and I shot the breeze about UNC basketball for a while, and I can't be more happy right now. Looks like a no offer on scholarship money for now, but Jason encouraged me to tell them what I get from other schools, and get in touch with Dean Perry to talk about aid.

He said a few calls are going out today, so congrats to everyone else that hears from him. I have to say, UVA has been the nicest school so far in terms of admissions staff, with Vandy a close second.
Congrats!!!

Anyone been getting calls from Cordel Faulk? Same position as Jason Dugas & they split the apps from what I hear. Everyone just talks about Jason! Either way.. one of you... let me in... :D

American_in_China

Bronze

Post by American_in_China » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:24 pm

so_fetch wrote:
American_in_China wrote:Just got off the phone with Jason, it's confirmed, I AM IN!. Great bounceback from the waitlist at Chicago. Jason and I shot the breeze about UNC basketball for a while, and I can't be more happy right now. Looks like a no offer on scholarship money for now, but Jason encouraged me to tell them what I get from other schools, and get in touch with Dean Perry to talk about aid.

Congrats!!!

Anyone been getting calls from Cordel Faulk? Same position as Jason Dugas & they split the apps from what I hear. Everyone just talks about Jason! Either way.. one of you... let me in... :D
Haha, well I met with Jason for an hour when I visited, and kept in touch with my progress on China, so I knew he was going to be the one I talked to. Haven't met Dean Faulk. Good Luck!

AmoryB

Bronze

Post by AmoryB » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:29 pm

Just got off the phone with Jason Dugas! Accepted with 35,000/yr scholarship, which definitely brings UVA up near the top of my list!

thisguy456

Bronze

Post by thisguy456 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:37 pm

In today! OOS. 20k / yr.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

caminante

Bronze

Post by caminante » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:39 pm

so_fetch wrote:

Congrats!!!

Hmm, I got a call from Ann Richard. I guess she does some of the calls as well.

Take Two

Silver

Post by Take Two » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:44 pm

Congrats to those accepted! :D

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:45 pm

Take Two wrote:Congrats to those accepted! :D
+1! Not a bad way to start the year! Congrats!

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:51 pm

Huge congrats, everyone!! Call me next please :mrgreen:.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:23 pm

so_fetch wrote:

Congrats!!!

I spoke with Mr. Faulk when I was admitted. Very nice guy, definitely the type of person that puts the school in the best possible light and makes you feel like you're really wanted.

so_fetch

Bronze

Post by so_fetch » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:24 pm

thisguy456 wrote:In today! OOS. 20k / yr.
SAME!

Wow they listened and called me. Yayyy :mrgreen:

Take Two

Silver

Post by Take Two » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:26 pm

so_fetch wrote:
SAME!

Haha nice!! Congrats! :D

thestillpoint

Bronze

Post by thestillpoint » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:30 pm

Take Two wrote:
so_fetch wrote:
SAME!

Ahh, congrats to all these admits!! I'm hoping for some UVA love in the New Year as well :)

Did any of you happen to apply around the beginning of November?
Last edited by thestillpoint on Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Perdevise

Bronze

Post by Perdevise » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:33 pm

Wow, UVA is throwing some serious money around today.

crooked

Bronze

Post by crooked » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:35 pm

Congratulations to all the new admits!

please let me be next

so_fetch

Bronze

Post by so_fetch » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:43 pm

thestillpoint wrote:
Take Two wrote:
so_fetch wrote:
SAME!

Ahh, congrats to all these admits!! I'm hoping for some UVA love in the New Year as well :)

Did any of you happen to apply around the beginning of November?
Yes I did, like the first week of November. good luck! im still in shock

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:47 pm

so_fetch wrote:
SAME!

CONGRATULATIONS!! And since we are numbers twins who submitted around the same time..... c'mon UVA.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”