UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MumofCad

Silver

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by MumofCad » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:08 pm

Just and FYI and this is probably old news to you experts, but UVA has a new Dean of Admissions. She's really nice, and I'm not positive, but it may mean some changes in how quickly/how they respond to applications? We'll have to see how the cycle plays out! Good luck again!

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:30 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Just got an email with my login credentials to the status checker as well. Application is complete.
So jealous. Damn Oct LSAT.

glcoupe

New

Post by glcoupe » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:20 pm

Who is the new dean of admissions?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:57 pm

glcoupe wrote:Who is the new dean of admissions?
Anne Richard http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2 ... ichard.htm

She comes from George Mason and George Washington, two schools that have risen in the rankings and are favorable to splitters. Sounds like she knows how to play the numbers. If anything, UVa will probably use the ED game to its advantage even more. I'm not surprised that things are moving a little slower at the beginning, with the transition and all (apparently, some people last year had decisions by Sept. 7 :shock: ), but I'm sure it'll pick up.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:41 pm

I'm not ED, but she said she felt like they would get me a decision in the next few weeks. I don't know if its typical of the cycle and we can expect that for early applying RDers or if I just got lucky for some reason. It sure would be nice not to sit around in limbo for months on end though and I'm really excited to go down and sit in on some classes if I get good news, so I can really figure this all out! Its pretty impressive they processed the application so quickly. I am wondering if the slight ED delay is due to all the LSAC common app madness.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:43 pm

MumofCad wrote:I'm not ED, but she said she felt like they would get me a decision in the next few weeks. I don't know if its typical of the cycle and we can expect that for early applying RDers or if I just got lucky for some reason. It sure would be nice not to sit around in limbo for months on end though and I'm really excited to go down and sit in on some classes if I get good news, so I can really figure this all out! Its pretty impressive they processed the application so quickly. I am wondering if the slight ED delay is due to all the LSAC common app madness.
Did you talk directly with the admissions dean? How did they contact you?

jrwitty

New

Post by jrwitty » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:00 pm

Long time lurker, time to pull my TLS weight...

Submit ED- 9/1
Complete - 9/2
Decision - Updated to 'Congratulations' 9/8

No phone call or email, found out through checking the application status. A paragraph with admission information appears across the top of page stating admission letter is in the mail.

Also, mailings section update to say 'decision letter' and fees section update with seat deposit deadlines.

See you all in Charlottesville next fall!

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:09 pm

jrwitty wrote:Long time lurker, time to pull my TLS weight...

Submit ED- 9/1
Complete - 9/2

No phone call or email, found out through checking the application status. A paragraph with admission information appears across the top of page stating admission letter is in the mail.

Also, mailings section update to say 'decision letter' and fees section update with seat deposit deadlines.

WOOHOO, Congrats!

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:19 pm

jrwitty wrote:Long time lurker, time to pull my TLS weight...

Submit ED- 9/1
Complete - 9/2

Huge congratulations! I'm so jealous that your cycle is done. That's amazing. I figured some of the ED apps would have been processed. Maybe you are the first in ;)

Freestallion: Yes, she had emailed me. She was really nice. I thought I was going to be grilled on the programs I had talked about in my PS so I was all ready, but it was just a friendly chat about the school. I can't wait to get down there again for a visit. Its been about a year and I love Charlottesville. If I do get a decision fairly soon, I plan to schedule a visit ASAP. I've tried to stay away from the schools so I don't get set on one and then disappointed by a WL or rejection. I'm just really happy with the prospect of getting a decision soon and not having to apply to some of its peer schools that I know I wouldn't choose over it anyhow (which is all of its peer schools). I expected to be waiting around with total radio silence until Nov/Dec at least from all these schools, except Duke thanks to the PT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:29 pm

MumofCad wrote:
Freestallion: Yes, she had emailed me. She was really nice. I thought I was going to be grilled on the programs I had talked about in my PS so I was all ready, but it was just a friendly chat about the school. I can't wait to get down there again for a visit. Its been about a year and I love Charlottesville. If I do get a decision fairly soon, I plan to schedule a visit ASAP. I've tried to stay away from the schools so I don't get set on one and then disappointed by a WL or rejection. I'm just really happy with the prospect of getting a decision soon and not having to apply to some of its peer schools that I know I wouldn't choose over it anyhow (which is all of its peer schools). I expected to be waiting around with total radio silence until Nov/Dec at least from all these schools, except Duke thanks to the PT.
Wow, that is amazing. They must be extremely impressed with your application to give you a personal response like this. I'm impressed, and jealous :lol: It sounds like UVA is pretty quick on their responses to applications and also relatively personalized, and I like that they have an online status checker. Congrats MumofCad and I am sure you'll be hearing some good news relatively soon!

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:39 pm

Thanks! Something weird though, I was showing my mom just now that Chicago app still wasn't being processed and just said "received" so I wasn't sure if I was "complete" yet. She asked to see how UVA's was different, ie. what I told you yesterday to know you've gone "complete" and the status changes to "pending/review." Well now mine says "Congratulations" now too and has a letter sent date, and scholarship date. Does that mean I am in? I want to be excited, but I'm a little confused because she said she hoped to get a decision to me next week at the end of the conversation.

Then I panicked and thought I had accidentally applied ED, but I went back and looked at my app, which clearly said Binding Early Decision "this section does not apply to me." So....can I get excited? Ack! Of course I'm not home right now so my husband will get any letter if they actually sent it.

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:44 pm

MumofCad wrote:Thanks! Something weird though, I was showing my mom just now that Chicago app still wasn't being processed and just said "received" so I wasn't sure if I was "complete" yet. She asked to see how UVA's was different, ie. what I told you yesterday to know you've gone "complete" and the status changes to "pending/review." Well now mine says "Congratulations" now too and has a letter sent date, and scholarship date. Does that mean I am in? I want to be excited, but I'm a little confused because she said she hoped to get a decision to me next week at the end of the conversation.

Then I panicked and thought I had accidentally applied ED, but I went back and looked at my app, which clearly said Binding Early Decision "this section does not apply to me." So....can I get excited? Ack! Of course I'm not home right now so my husband will get any letter if they actually sent it.
Wow! I think it does mean you are in -- congrats!! Maybe she gave it a cushion of an extra few days to make sure it got to you by next week, but doesn't mean you couldn't get the acceptance earlier.

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:49 pm

Good luck everyone. I just submitted my application today!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jrwitty

New

Post by jrwitty » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:50 pm

I dare say you are in. Congratulations! I had called earlier today just to double check and was told congratulations letter is in the mail. So I wouldn't expect anything more than the status update and letter at this point.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:00 pm

Ok, YAY! It would be awfully cruel to update your status to "congratulations" and then get a letter saying "Congratulations! You will have the opportunity to attend another fine legal institution next year, because we certainly don't want you." Still, I will reserve excitement until I see the letter myself. I'm fairly local so I'm thinking Saturday at the latest if it was really sent today. I've put the husband on full alert as it has two letters sent today and I must know ASAP what they say. Its going to save me loads in application money if its really good news right off the bat. Thank you LSAC's 9/15 submission delays.

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:03 pm

MumofCad wrote:Ok, YAY! It would be awfully cruel to update your status to "congratulations" and then get a letter saying "Congratulations! You will have the opportunity to attend another fine legal institution next year, because we certainly don't want you." Still, I will reserve excitement until I see the letter myself. I'm fairly local so I'm thinking Saturday at the latest if it was really sent today. I've put the husband on full alert as it has two letters sent today and I must know ASAP what they say. Its going to save me loads in application money if its really good news right off the bat. Thank you LSAC's 9/15 submission delays.

Congrats!!! Update us when you get the definitive letter. Cheers!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:43 pm

Congrats to the dude who has his cycle wrapped up with a T-10 acceptance on September 8th.

My app has been submitted. I'm assuming the new dean won't change things much, so let's just get the waitlist notice over with...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:36 pm

Oh god....hating that Oct LSAT right now. I feel so behind haha.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:23 am

Eichörnchen wrote:Oh god....hating that Oct LSAT right now. I feel so behind haha.
+1

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:39 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Congrats to the dude who has his cycle wrapped up with a T-10 acceptance on September 8th.

My app has been submitted. I'm assuming the new dean won't change things much, so let's just get the waitlist notice over with...
Srsly.

baconpuffs

Bronze

Post by baconpuffs » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:01 am

MumofCad wrote:Ok, YAY! It would be awfully cruel to update your status to "congratulations" and then get a letter saying "Congratulations! You will have the opportunity to attend another fine legal institution next year, because we certainly don't want you." Still, I will reserve excitement until I see the letter myself. I'm fairly local so I'm thinking Saturday at the latest if it was really sent today. I've put the husband on full alert as it has two letters sent today and I must know ASAP what they say. Its going to save me loads in application money if its really good news right off the bat. Thank you LSAC's 9/15 submission delays.
CONGRATS! Out of curiosity, did you write a Why V?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:07 am

baconpuffs wrote:
I'd assume so.

MumofCad wrote:Anyone want to exchange Why Virginia statements?

baconpuffs

Bronze

Post by baconpuffs » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:18 am

PSUdevon wrote:
baconpuffs wrote:
I'd assume so.

MumofCad wrote:Anyone want to exchange Why Virginia statements?
Well, drat. Regretting not sending one more and more.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:36 am

baconpuffs wrote: CONGRATS! Out of curiosity, did you write a Why V?
I didn't actually write a Why Virginia, but I tailored the end of my PS in the same manner. My PS naturally led into a fairly easy transition into Why statements, so the schools that I did them for, I just put them at the end as an extra page. -
Last edited by MumofCad on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:00 am

Status checker ready to go!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”