UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sfreuden

New

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by sfreuden » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:34 am

bleylaw wrote:
chem wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:I applied at the beginning of the cycle and it's been radio silence ever since.
+1
did you guys write a why uva and did you check yes for financial aid? same boat here i think thats why i haven't heard (my numbers are not bad)
Also got in today. Submitted 9/14. I wrote a Why UVA and checked yes for financial aid.

American_in_China

Bronze

Post by American_in_China » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:11 am

Submitting my UVA RD app tonight! I loved my visit to UVA, so heres to hoping I get a competitive aid scholarship. Man if I get similar deals from Mich and UVA it's going to be a tough decision. Maybe see y'all next year.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:11 am

bleylaw wrote:
chem wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:I applied at the beginning of the cycle and it's been radio silence ever since.
+1
did you guys write a why uva and did you check yes for financial aid? same boat here i think thats why i haven't heard (my numbers are not bad)
Don't know what your numbers are since they aren't in your profile, but fwiw, the people that have gotten in RD so far are not likely to matriculate at UVA if you get what I mean. Almost all have HYS or CCN numbers, and have been offered substantial scholarships to attend UVA.

My point is that if UVA is a target for your numbers or maybe even a slight safety, don't sweat it. I don't think they've gotten around to those decisions yet and don't seem to have admitted any RD splitters either. Its been all people above both medians from what I can tell (or heck of a close to).

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:49 am

I'm not above both medians. PM me for stats. Slight splitterish actually. And for what it's worth, I wrote a why essay and checked the financial aid box.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:29 am

RonnyDworkin wrote:I'm not above both medians. PM me for stats. Slight splitterish actually. And for what it's worth, I wrote a why essay and checked the financial aid box.
Yeah, you were the one I didn't know, but you just found out yesterday so I think there is every reason to believe that those with target numbers for UVA are just starting to get determinations. It looks like they had gone through a pile of high numbers a few weeks ago with those initial RD offerings, which may not be applicable to everyone not hearing back.

Splitters or even slight splitters are generally target candidates, most likely to matriculate, for those in UVA's range. They rely on them for their statistics, so I think it makes sense that more thought and time goes into carefully crafting those acceptances than those with numbers which are probably HYS/CCN admits. I would bet that those in that early round will universally end up HYS/CCN (unless they have personal reasons to do otherwise or debt aversion). LSN seems to bear that out from last year. Its still early so I think way too early to read into radio silence. Radio silence is probably what 85% of actual UVA matriculaters were hearing this time last year.

I think I like that name, "the matriculaters" - sounds fierce.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

citykitty

Bronze

Post by citykitty » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:32 am

RonnyDworkin wrote:I'm not above both medians. PM me for stats. Slight splitterish actually. And for what it's worth, I wrote a why essay and checked the financial aid box.

I'm at median for LSAT and below 25% for GPA, no why essay, did check financial aid box.

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:42 am

Just a silly question; I am not a Virginia resident but I was born in Virginia, anyone think this has any bearing on admissions? Could it be seen as a tie to the area?

sdwhodat

Bronze

Post by sdwhodat » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:51 pm

MumofCad wrote:
Yeah, you were the one I didn't know, but you just found out yesterday so I think there is every reason to believe that those with target numbers for UVA are just starting to get determinations. It looks like they had gone through a pile of high numbers a few weeks ago with those initial RD offerings, which may not be applicable to everyone not hearing back.

Splitters or even slight splitters are generally target candidates, most likely to matriculate, for those in UVA's range. They rely on them for their statistics, so I think it makes sense that more thought and time goes into carefully crafting those acceptances than those with numbers which are probably HYS/CCN admits. I would bet that those in that early round will universally end up HYS/CCN (unless they have personal reasons to do otherwise or debt aversion). LSN seems to bear that out from last year. Its still early so I think way too early to read into radio silence. Radio silence is probably what 85% of actual UVA matriculaters were hearing this time last year.

That's nice to hear but honestly? Virginia is looking a lot nicer than Harvard (the only HYS/CCN I applied to) right now, even if they offered me full tuition too. So I may be a matriculator too ;)

sdwhodat

Bronze

Post by sdwhodat » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:52 pm

elibrarian wrote:Just a silly question; I am not a Virginia resident but I was born in Virginia, anyone think this has any bearing on admissions? Could it be seen as a tie to the area?
No clue. This was my situation with Texas and it wasn't mentioned.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pdftlvson

New

Post by pdftlvson » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:57 pm

pineappledazzler wrote:Submitted 1st week in September and still waiting (RD, non-resident)

+1

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:01 pm

sdwhodat wrote: That's nice to hear but honestly? Virginia is looking a lot nicer than Harvard (the only HYS/CCN I applied to) right now, even if they offered me full tuition too. So I may be a matriculator too ;)
Really? I would take Harvard sticker over Virginia full tuition in a heartbeat.

sdwhodat

Bronze

Post by sdwhodat » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:32 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
sdwhodat wrote: That's nice to hear but honestly? Virginia is looking a lot nicer than Harvard (the only HYS/CCN I applied to) right now, even if they offered me full tuition too. So I may be a matriculator too ;)
I want to work in the South and would prefer to stay close to it. Also, I plan to minimize my debt and maximize my employment opportunities. Even if I get a full tuition need based grant from Harvard (likely if I get in), I would be able to take out fewer loans at UVA. Besides, I really don't think I could handle New England weather.

runplaystudy

New

Post by runplaystudy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:42 pm

sdwhodat wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
I want to work in the South and would prefer to stay close to it. Also, I plan to minimize my debt and maximize my employment opportunities. Even if I get a full tuition need based grant from Harvard (likely if I get in), I would be able to take out fewer loans at UVA. Besides, I really don't think I could handle New England weather.
Yeah the cost of living in Virginia is so so much lower than Cambridge.

I'm looking at the window at a BLIZZARD in good ol' Massachusetts so I'm with you on the weather thing. It was actually a big decision factor in applying ED... I've got 21 New England winters under my belt and I'm gonna take a break after the 22nd, and by the looks of it this one will be a doozy...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:51 pm

sdwhodat wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Yeah, there are always good personal reasons to attend a lower ranked schools and some inevitably matriculate with them. No doubt that if you are looking at serious cost-of-living loans, UVA or Duke or Michigan makes alot more sense....

...But to be honest....if you get a Darrow at Michigan....I don't think the South/North thing is a factor UNLESS you are looking at staying in Virginia specifically.

sdwhodat

Bronze

Post by sdwhodat » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:13 pm

MumofCad wrote:
sdwhodat wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Yeah, there are always good personal reasons to attend a lower ranked schools and some inevitably matriculate with them. No doubt that if you are looking at serious cost-of-living loans, UVA or Duke or Michigan makes alot more sense....

...But to be honest....if you get a Darrow at Michigan....I don't think the South/North thing is a factor UNLESS you are looking at staying in Virginia specifically.
I have not applied to Michigan. I lived in the South my entire life and consider 40 cold.as hell (Dante's Hell, LOL) so I'm pretty sure I'd die in Ann Arbor.

ThomasMN

Bronze

Post by ThomasMN » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:18 pm

I have to chuckle at all the weather stuff as I am from Minnesota (40 would be lovely) and the great weather in Virginia is a definite plus for me.

ThomasMN

Bronze

Post by ThomasMN » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:38 pm

Also, congrats on the full-ride sdwhodat!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sdwhodat

Bronze

Post by sdwhodat » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:11 pm

ThomasMN wrote:Also, congrats on the full-ride sdwhodat!
Thanks! And as for the weather, it really is what you're used to, lol. It's not uncommon for the heat index here to get above 100 degrees. It isn't pleasant, but you get used to it. I can count the amount of times I've seen snow on the ground on one hand, and I am not equipped to drive in it at all!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:12 pm

sdwhodat wrote:
MumofCad wrote:

That's nice to hear but honestly? Virginia is looking a lot nicer than Harvard (the only HYS/CCN I applied to) right now, even if they offered me full tuition too. So I may be a matriculator too ;)
It's "matriculant." /pedant

sdwhodat

Bronze

Post by sdwhodat » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:02 pm

Samara wrote: It's "matriculant." /pedant
Matriculater, matriculator, matriculant, LOL, semantics. None of them sound like real words anyway.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:21 pm

TBF both are words:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

citykitty

Bronze

Post by citykitty » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:28 pm

And, this my friends is why mister HP will not be matriculating at UVA despite the nice scholly they threw at him, but instead will be going to HYS. Enjoy!

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:29 pm

citykitty wrote:And, this my friends is why mister HP will not be matriculating at UVA despite the nice scholly they threw at him, but instead will be going to HYS. Enjoy!
I thought HP was a missus.

citykitty

Bronze

Post by citykitty » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:31 pm

Curious1 wrote:
citykitty wrote:And, this my friends is why mister HP will not be matriculating at UVA despite the nice scholly they threw at him, but instead will be going to HYS. Enjoy!
I thought HP was a missus.

He's quite male unless he's been deceiving me on gchat and g+. LOL

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:32 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
TBF both are words:

Ah, good to know. Merriam-Webster doesn't provide the matriculator variant and I've only ever seen matriculant used. My browser knows neither word unfortunately.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”