UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Real Madrid

Silver

Re: UVA c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by Real Madrid » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:36 pm

Question for you guys:

Went ED complete on Tuesday with 162/4.0, really good softs, UVA on transcript from study abroad, good PS, good LOR, and a Why UVA statement based on my study abroad experience through UVA.

One small problem...I noticed a single typo in my Why UVA statement today. "One of parts of this program," instead of "One of the parts of this program..."

I know I should have caught it before but I'm trying to decide if I should send the admission office an email with a corrected Why UVA statement, explaining that I strive to have as close to perfect an application as possible and felt compelled to send an adjustment, blah blah blah.

What do you guys thing? Too neurotic? Worth it? Or should I just consider it water under the bridge and wait out the decision?
I'd probably just let it go. I think there's a good chance they won't even notice. I honestly read over that sentence twice before I noticed the difference, and I'm not reading 100 essays a day.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:37 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
Question for you guys:

Went ED complete on Tuesday with 162/4.0, really good softs, UVA on transcript from study abroad, good PS, good LOR, and a Why UVA statement based on my study abroad experience through UVA.

One small problem...I noticed a single typo in my Why UVA statement today. "One of parts of this program," instead of "One of the parts of this program..."

I know I should have caught it before but I'm trying to decide if I should send the admission office an email with a corrected Why UVA statement, explaining that I strive to have as close to perfect an application as possible and felt compelled to send an adjustment, blah blah blah.

What do you guys thing? Too neurotic? Worth it? Or should I just consider it water under the bridge and wait out the decision?
I'd probably just let it go. I think there's a good chance they won't even notice. I honestly read over that sentence twice before I noticed the difference, and I'm not reading 100 essays a day.
I agree with Mr. Madrid. It took me awhile to figure out how the two sentences were different

pokefan876

New

Post by pokefan876 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:46 pm

Sigh. I just spoke to my honors adviser and she said the exact same thing about reading hundreds of full tuition scholarship applications daily.

Thanks guys...and so the wait continues.

sangr

Bronze

Post by sangr » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:14 pm

repost of the same thing but...does anyone have an idea of how the VA resident pool is?

so_fetch

Bronze

Post by so_fetch » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:59 pm

sangr wrote:repost of the same thing but...does anyone have an idea of how the VA resident pool is?
Warning - this is pure speculation. my only authority comes from formerly living in DC. And this does not even really answer your question.

I am really curious as to actual statistics, etc... but I would venture to guess that overall the state of VA does NOT have a lot of people with t-14 competitive numbers (or even desire for t-14) with the MAJOR exception of all the young professionals (& maybe a few undergrad students) living right across the potomac in Arlington, VA

If you have no idea what I am talking about and/or have 4 minutes to kill..watch 'arlington rap' on youtube

Also there are prob. a lot of in-state current U.Va. undergrads applying too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sangr

Bronze

Post by sangr » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:21 pm

so im guessing around 180 or so VA residents get admitted every year? i just saw the arlington rap. aha do u mean to imply that they are all upper middle class study types who would score high on standardized tests?

anyways, seems like ur an ED - VA applicant also? haha

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:28 pm

I too would assume that 40% is largely taken from NOVA communities living outside of DC, as well as people who return to the state from UG. The DC area is very accomplished academically. It's known to be a tough region for major scholarships like the Rhodes and Marshall which are broken down by region (like as competitive as the NY and Cali Regions), and have a similar mechanism whereby you can claim residency based on your current location or parent's location. On top of all the private schools, you've got some of the best public high schools in the nation in NOVA so....I would say that a lot of people who are borderline at comparable schools still get in with the VA advantage, but its probably a pretty impressive group nonetheless. Most of the NOVA communities have fair numbers of young DC professionals too. I lived in VA during college because its easy to get to GW, AU, and Georgetown from there (much easier than Maryland generally) and the same goes for those working on the Hill and what not.

sangr

Bronze

Post by sangr » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:32 pm

wait are u saying that based on certain factors DC people get to claim VA residency?

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:40 pm

sangr wrote:wait are u saying that based on certain factors DC people get to claim VA residency?
No, but HUGE numbers of people that work in DC live in NoVA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:01 pm

Hardly anyone that works in DC, lives in the actual District. When people from outside the area ask where I live, I always says DC like most people who live around here but besides a brief 2 year stint in a college dorm, I've spent the other 8 years of my life in DC living as a resident of either MD or VA. The DC metro trains (subways) go out into the VA/MD suburbs, and when connected with commuter trains traverse much of the state of MD and a good chunk of NOVA. I think people forget how much (and growing) of the Virginian population is actually made up of its DC-suburbs (hence recent political trends).

To clarify, I'm not a current VA resident. Though I am 5 miles from being one, they don't count that as a near miss. My mom tried to convince me I could claim some sort of VA residency based on the fact that my husband works there and thus pays VA income tax, and thus supports VA public schools like UVA. I didn't look into it, but I doubt that's the case.

Just to clarify, in VA you have large military bases, the FBI Academy, NDI, at least half the kids of people who work for the State Dept, CIA, etc. and all the people whose parent's are practicing DC attorneys or policy-makers and lobbyists with law degrees, etc.....

sangr

Bronze

Post by sangr » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:07 pm

MumofCad wrote:Hardly anyone that works in DC, lives in the actual District. When people from outside the area ask where I live, I always says DC like most people who live around here but besides a brief 2 year stint in a college dorm, I've spent the other 8 years of my life in DC living as a resident of either MD or VA. The DC metro trains (subways) go out into the VA/MD suburbs, and when connected with commuter trains traverse much of the state of MD and a good chunk of NOVA. I think people forget how much (and growing) of the Virginian population is actually made up of its DC-suburbs (hence recent political trends).

To clarify, I'm not a current VA resident. Though I am 5 miles from being one, they don't count that as a near miss. My mom tried to convince me I could claim some sort of VA residency based on the fact that my husband works there and thus pays VA income tax, and thus supports VA public schools like UVA. I didn't look into it, but I doubt that's the case.

Just to clarify, in VA you have large military bases, the FBI Academy, NDI, at least half the kids of people who work for the State Dept, CIA, etc. and all the people whose parent's are practicing DC attorneys or policy-makers and lobbyists with law degrees, etc.....
wow. they dont seem to post too much on here do they? (VA resident applicants) haha

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:15 pm

sangr wrote: wow. they dont seem to post too much on here do they? (VA resident applicants) haha
And it's hard to tell from LSN how much easier it is for them to get in. That said, they have to admit a lot of really good in-state applicants to keep their medians so high while hitting the 40% quota.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:17 pm

sangr wrote:
wow. they dont seem to post too much on here do they? (VA resident applicants) haha
I think there have been a few actually of the people who've already gotten in ED that were VA residents. But yeah, they don't post as much so its a little perplexing.

I don't remember where I saw the statistic, but I remember in UG coming across a fact about the larger DC area having one of the largest per capita JD ratios in the nation (if not the largest). I'm not surprised. I know a good number of lawyers, but I also feel like everyone I meet has a JD degree from this area regardless of what they are doing. I started a mom's group with some friends when we moved back to the area and like half the stay-at-home moms in the group had JDs. So confusing. Then when I mentioned to some old college profs that I was thinking about pursuing law school, about half of the them had JDs as well. :roll: Even my stats prof had a JD from a night program she did while teaching. I asked her why, and she said it was free and fun, and everyone she knew had one. :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sangr

Bronze

Post by sangr » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:22 pm

geez. the competition. oh northern virginians....

so_fetch

Bronze

Post by so_fetch » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:41 pm

sangr wrote:so im guessing around 180 or so VA residents get admitted every year? i just saw the arlington rap. aha do u mean to imply that they are all upper middle class study types who would score high on standardized tests?

anyways, seems like ur an ED - VA applicant also? haha
Not applying ED but it is one of my very top choices. And I am out-of-state in case I didn't make that clear before.

I think your upper-middle-class inference is definitely on-point, but another huge factor is what others have said about the jobs in and around DC. It's a highly educated place. One of top (if not top) cities for income and education. Lots of jobs in government, huge companies, nonprofits that look great on resumes and attract ambitious people such as those who we are competing against for law school admission. I need to stop hyping up the area or you guys will steal all my "why uva" material :lol:

Xaintes

New

Post by Xaintes » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:53 am

I was accepted last cycle as a Virginia resident and deferred. I went to school in DC, and then moved over to Arlington, VA after graduation and have lived here for about 3 years. I declared Virginia residency in June 2010 so that I could apply as a resident (I hadn't changed my plates, license, voter registration, etc. before).

Here's a quote from an interview with Jason Trujillo when he was still Dean:
"Thankfully, there are a large number of bright recent college graduates interested in law school throughout the Commonwealth, but particularly a large number who move to and work (and live) for a year or two in and around Washington, D.C. The smart ones live in Arlington or Alexandra and become residents."

Plus, everyone in the DC area should know living in Virginia > Maryland

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:02 am

Xaintes wrote: Plus, everyone in the DC area should know living in Virginia > Maryland
Hahaha - We Marylanders might have a bone to pick with that. People who are natives like my husband are funny about this topic. I personally could care less. When we moved back from overseas I was all about finding the best house for the lowest price possible close to the metro. Housing in Alexandria/Arlington is OUTRAGEOUS! Bunch of million dollar town homes near the metro and then pretty well no metro options out in the outer burbs. It made so much sense to live there as a single UG or young professional so I can see that NOVA gets the bulk of those people who don't live in the District. Commuting from an affordable single family home when you have multiple children is pretty though, but those people aren't applying to law school in general anyhow.

But my husband who is a native Marylander, pretty much wrote off every house we did find in VA for ridiculous reasons. He finally admitted he wasn't really interested in living there lol, but his reasons were all weak sauce. I got that he was just a this side of the river kind of guy. I guess I would be the same if you wanted me to live in Vancouver, WA instead of Portland, OR. Its just a bridge away but, a whole new world to me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:04 am

Yeshia90 wrote:$20 says I get waitlisted.
Why'd you change your name?

Xaintes

New

Post by Xaintes » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:19 am

MumofCad wrote:
Xaintes wrote: Plus, everyone in the DC area should know living in Virginia > Maryland
Hahaha - We Marylanders might have a bone to pick with that. People who are natives like my husband are funny about this topic. I personally could care less. When we moved back from overseas I was all about finding the best house for the lowest price possible close to the metro. Housing in Alexandria/Arlington is OUTRAGEOUS! Bunch of million dollar town homes near the metro and then pretty well no metro options out in the outer burbs. It made so much sense to live there as a single UG or young professional so I can see that NOVA gets the bulk of those people who don't live in the District. Commuting from an affordable single family home when you have multiple children is pretty though, but those people aren't applying to law school in general anyhow.

But my husband who is a native Marylander, pretty much wrote off every house we did find in VA for ridiculous reasons. He finally admitted he wasn't really interested in living there lol, but his reasons were all weak sauce. I got that he was just a this side of the river kind of guy. I guess I would be the same if you wanted me to live in Vancouver, WA instead of Portland, OR. Its just a bridge away but, a whole new world to me.
The Maryland vs. Virginia vs. DC thing is actually pretty funny. My friends in DC/Maryland will NEVER go out in Virginia, and I pretty much never see anyone that moved to Maryland anymore. A friend of mine starting working in Maryland last week, and we all stared at him like was going to work overseas or something.

We lucked out with where we live in Arlington... it's walking distance to both the Rosslyn and Courthouse metro stops, and walking distance to Georgetown. We pay under $1400 a month for 800 square feet, which is amazing for the Arlington area (and no pet fees!). I'm sure it's much harder finding places with children in mind though (though Arlington/Alexandria have pretty kickass schools).

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:06 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:$20 says I get waitlisted.
Why'd you change your name?
Because my old one included my first name and my undergrad institution. It's pretty hard to be more conspicuous than that.

sangr

Bronze

Post by sangr » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:59 pm

does there tend to be a response time for which UVA responds to their admitted applicants? so far most people seemed to have heard in a week. but then again they were very early. so are there any tendencies for this?

thanks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:03 pm

sangr wrote:does there tend to be a response time for which UVA responds to their admitted applicants? so far most people seemed to have heard in a week. but then again they were very early. so are there any tendencies for this?

thanks
No, there is no standard response time. You can look at the graph and search the spreadsheets in the OP to get an idea of when people heard from last year.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:49 pm

Joined, thinking about EDing... though not feeling too good about my prospects- not looking forward to the waitlist.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:47 pm

sangr wrote:does there tend to be a response time for which UVA responds to their admitted applicants? so far most people seemed to have heard in a week. but then again they were very early. so are there any tendencies for this?

thanks
They get back to ED applicants in 15 days. RD applicants should receive decisions in January.

sangr

Bronze

Post by sangr » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:03 pm

i believe an admissions officer said its 15 business days. Im not sure though

anyone know for sure which one it is?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”