Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:53 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
JDizzle2015 wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:can a pending ED app be withdrawn?

Yes, but I can't imagine it not adversely affecting your file. (From what I understand, you're not locked to matriculate under ED until they make a decision to accept you.)


Some people in the past have done so (withdraw and asked to be reviewed under RD) and not been adversely affected.

Would it even be possible at this stage? Since they have already made the decisions and are now calling?


They have until end of the months to make a decision on your file, so your fate may have been decided but you have not heard, or maybe not. I guess one would have to make the request and find out. I don't think you have much to lose either way. Penn is way more understanding than I expected BTW, I can't really see them holding it against you - it's a really really big decision.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:54 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
JDizzle2015 wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:can a pending ED app be withdrawn?

Yes, but I can't imagine it not adversely affecting your file. (From what I understand, you're not locked to matriculate under ED until they make a decision to accept you.)


Thanks. My app being hurt is understood and expected. I got into Cornell yesterday, so now I'm having some second thoughts about probably paying sticker at penn when I could potentially get a scholarship at Cornell..


Congrats on Cornell! That's awesome.

So just as a point of comparison, I had a pending ED at GW (I know not the same as Penn but you get the drift) when I got into Mich, I immediately withdrew so as not to give GW time to make a decision.

User avatar
AmandaPB
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby AmandaPB » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:12 pm

JoeMo wrote:So just as a point of comparison, I had a pending ED at GW (I know not the same as Penn but you get the drift) when I got into Mich, I immediately withdrew so as not to give GW time to make a decision.

Damn! Nice call on the withdraw :)

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby iamrobk » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:57 pm

Nothing today then, it seems. Hopefully tomorrow. :?

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby iamrobk » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:02 pm

Just got an email from the Dean requesting a phone interview. Wow, seems kind of unprecedented?

Edit: Looks like 2 people on here had them last year (maybe 1 or 2 more I didn't see), and one person got in and the other didn't. I'm guessing it's because my grades junior year went down pretty sharply, but I've rebounded pretty well this semester (and I have 2 grades in, an A and an A-, so I'll mention that I guess). I really have no idea what to expect though, but we'll see.

User avatar
so_fetch
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:37 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby so_fetch » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:33 pm

iamrobk wrote:Just got an email from the Dean requesting a phone interview. Wow, seems kind of unprecedented?

Edit: Looks like 2 people on here had them last year (maybe 1 or 2 more I didn't see), and one person got in and the other didn't. I'm guessing it's because my grades junior year went down pretty sharply, but I've rebounded pretty well this semester (and I have 2 grades in, an A and an A-, so I'll mention that I guess). I really have no idea what to expect though, but we'll see.

good luck!

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JDizzle2015 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:37 pm

iamrobk wrote:Just got an email from the Dean requesting a phone interview. Wow, seems kind of unprecedented?

Edit: Looks like 2 people on here had them last year (maybe 1 or 2 more I didn't see), and one person got in and the other didn't. I'm guessing it's because my grades junior year went down pretty sharply, but I've rebounded pretty well this semester (and I have 2 grades in, an A and an A-, so I'll mention that I guess). I really have no idea what to expect though, but we'll see.

Good luck! This is the first I've heard of a Penn interview request.

evian1212
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:33 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby evian1212 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:38 pm

good luck! when is your interview?

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby iamrobk » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:40 pm

Thanks guys!
JDizzle2015 wrote:
iamrobk wrote:Just got an email from the Dean requesting a phone interview. Wow, seems kind of unprecedented?

Edit: Looks like 2 people on here had them last year (maybe 1 or 2 more I didn't see), and one person got in and the other didn't. I'm guessing it's because my grades junior year went down pretty sharply, but I've rebounded pretty well this semester (and I have 2 grades in, an A and an A-, so I'll mention that I guess). I really have no idea what to expect though, but we'll see.

Good luck! This is the first I've heard of a Penn interview request.

Yeah, they seem very rare, which isn't very helpful to me since I have no idea what to expect. :lol:
evian1212 wrote:good luck! when is your interview?

Tomorrow morning. From what I read in last years thread, looks like then it'll be another 2-3 days until I get an acceptance call or a deferral email.

ralph_pootawn
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:14 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ralph_pootawn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:50 pm

anyone else's status checker update today?.

jpal13
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jpal13 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:53 pm

iamrobk wrote:Thanks guys!
JDizzle2015 wrote:
iamrobk wrote:Just got an email from the Dean requesting a phone interview. Wow, seems kind of unprecedented?

Edit: Looks like 2 people on here had them last year (maybe 1 or 2 more I didn't see), and one person got in and the other didn't. I'm guessing it's because my grades junior year went down pretty sharply, but I've rebounded pretty well this semester (and I have 2 grades in, an A and an A-, so I'll mention that I guess). I really have no idea what to expect though, but we'll see.

Good luck! This is the first I've heard of a Penn interview request.

Yeah, they seem very rare, which isn't very helpful to me since I have no idea what to expect. :lol:
evian1212 wrote:good luck! when is your interview?

Tomorrow morning. From what I read in last years thread, looks like then it'll be another 2-3 days until I get an acceptance call or a deferral email.


Are you ED?

evian1212
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:33 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby evian1212 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:53 pm

im still at the same date in november.
Last edited by evian1212 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hotspur
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:05 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby hotspur » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:54 pm

ralph_pootawn wrote:anyone else's status checker update today?.


Nope. My UCR status updated from 11/? to 12/8 though
Last edited by hotspur on Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby iamrobk » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:55 pm

jpal13 wrote:
iamrobk wrote:Thanks guys!
JDizzle2015 wrote:
iamrobk wrote:Just got an email from the Dean requesting a phone interview. Wow, seems kind of unprecedented?

Edit: Looks like 2 people on here had them last year (maybe 1 or 2 more I didn't see), and one person got in and the other didn't. I'm guessing it's because my grades junior year went down pretty sharply, but I've rebounded pretty well this semester (and I have 2 grades in, an A and an A-, so I'll mention that I guess). I really have no idea what to expect though, but we'll see.

Good luck! This is the first I've heard of a Penn interview request.

Yeah, they seem very rare, which isn't very helpful to me since I have no idea what to expect. :lol:
evian1212 wrote:good luck! when is your interview?

Tomorrow morning. From what I read in last years thread, looks like then it'll be another 2-3 days until I get an acceptance call or a deferral email.


Are you ED?

Yeah I am.

ralph_pootawn
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:14 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ralph_pootawn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:58 pm

evian1212 wrote:im still at the same date in november. yours moved to today? are you ED?

no, im rd. was at some date in november and just changed to todays date.

jpal13
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jpal13 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:00 pm

Very concerned, no change for me, I applied 10/25, last update is 10/31

User avatar
crumpledq
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby crumpledq » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:07 pm

jpal13 wrote:Very concerned, no change for me, I applied 10/25, last update is 10/31


I'm still stuck on 11/4 "in the queue," not under review yet. They seem to be focusing on ED folks, which makes sense, and will hopefully get to RDers soon.

I'm a big splitter and would consider myself a borderline candidate, but I've been accepted at NYU and GULC so far (to my surprise), so maybe Penn will also show some splitter love :D

curiousgeorgia
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby curiousgeorgia » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:14 pm

I was complete since the end of October and went UR for the first time on 12/5, with a second update on 12/9. I don't know if that is a typical process or not, but if my dates are any indication, they seem to be slow to start, then process relatively quickly once UR.

I hope I'll receive a decision by the end of the year, but if not, I believe the heading of their status checker indicates that I'll have a decision within 12 weeks of going complete (which would be end of Jan., for me)

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby iamrobk » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:14 pm

If anyone who's had a phone interview with Penn before happens to see this before tomorrow morning, would you mind shooting me a PM? Thanks.

User avatar
Zelda
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Zelda » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:17 pm

hotspur wrote:
ralph_pootawn wrote:anyone else's status checker update today?.


Nope. My UCR status updated from 11/? to 12/8 though


I am also an RD applicant whose status has updated. I went UCR 12/4 and then updated again at 12/12. I went complete early early November.

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby freestallion » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:45 pm

Yes, my status also updated to 12/12. I am RD. My first update was UCR on 11/30. Yay, hope this means decision coming soon-ish!

User avatar
so_fetch
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:37 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby so_fetch » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Congrats to you guys seeing movement. I was complete 11/9 and I am still "in the queue."

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby iamrobk » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:41 pm

Just spent a good 2 hours or so thinking about my phone interview tomorrow and what to say. I'm pretty excited for it, I think it'll be a good opportunity for me to explain myself to the dean.

jasonxu89
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jasonxu89 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:45 pm

iamrobk wrote:Just spent a good 2 hours or so thinking about my phone interview tomorrow and what to say. I'm pretty excited for it, I think it'll be a good opportunity for me to explain myself to the dean.


good luck tomorrow! I have no movement today and do not know it is good or bad..

User avatar
so_fetch
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:37 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby so_fetch » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:47 pm

iamrobk wrote:Just spent a good 2 hours or so thinking about my phone interview tomorrow and what to say. I'm pretty excited for it, I think it'll be a good opportunity for me to explain myself to the dean.

for sure!! it would have been easy for them to ignore your app for now, or to waitlist or reject you. obviously they see something worth exploring. it sounds like you have the right attitude about it and will do really well :)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”