Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sandwiches5000

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sandwiches5000 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:33 pm

curiousgeorgia wrote:
iamrobk wrote:Hey now, even if cheesesteaks were all that Philly had it'd still be enough. I'm not sure I could ever move that far from Philly just because I'd miss them too much. :lol:

One word: Wawa.

Omg. I just have to give this the recognition it deserves. YES. I've been out of the area/country for years and I miss Wawa dearly.

quaker10

Postby quaker10 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:36 pm

Penn alum here - no need to worry about West Philly being unsafe. You feel the complete opposite while on campus. Also, many grad students live downtown.

sandwiches5000 wrote:
thatkid wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
thatkid wrote:Oh goodness. I have missed Wawa terribly over the last 3.5 years. Penn's pro list keeps getting longer. Also, in terms of safety, is it really any worse than Columbia's proximity to Harlem/ Wash. Heights?

Hey don't jump down my throat! :( Personally, I'm not sure if I'd prefer a big city atmosphere like Penn of NYU or Columbia, versus a more peaceful setting like Ann Arbor or Berkeley or Palo Alto. I was just pointing out the differences.

I wasn't attempting to jump down your throat- I was being optimistic. I haven't visited Penn, but I've visited Columbia twice and decided that the surrounding areas don't scare me enough to keep me away. I'm hoping the same is true of Penn, as I definitely want to be in a big city.

I've been to both and I felt just as safe, if not safer at Penn.

maxpower430

Postby maxpower430 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:37 pm

Curious1 wrote:
thatkid wrote:Oh goodness. I have missed Wawa terribly over the last 3.5 years. Penn's pro list keeps getting longer. Also, in terms of safety, is it really any worse than Columbia's proximity to Harlem/ Wash. Heights?

Hey don't jump down my throat! :( Personally, I'm not sure if I'd prefer a big city atmosphere like Penn of NYU or Columbia, versus a more peaceful setting like Ann Arbor or Berkeley or Palo Alto. I was just pointing out the differences.

Columbia is interesting in that regard though b/c I find the Upper West Side to be a lot more relaxed than say, the West Village. I also thought the area surrounding Columbia felt really safe. I can't say for Penn b/c I haven't visited yet, but I'd also like to throw in the Reading Terminal Market for a reason to pick Penn haha, that place is amazing. I really just think Philly get a bad rap b/c of Eagles/Phillies fans (which isn't entirely undeserved), but the city itself is great, and cheap (at least compared to NYC)

thestillpoint

Postby thestillpoint » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:40 pm

Curious1 wrote:

Having just spent the last four years at Penn... the Wawa on campus is definitely a life-saver (open 24/7)! Also, I think one advantage of Philadelphia over some smaller cities is certainly the broader/more diverse community. Depending on the clinical opportunities you're interested in, I think serving people in the Philadelphia area, particularly West Philadelphia, could be incredibly rewarding. I definitely found this to be true during my time in undergrad there.

Penn also has incredible security, and I think many Penn Law students actually live in Center City-- which is objectively a safer area. But I never really felt unsafe while on campus and all of the dorms and buildings have security there around the clock.

Also yes, Reading Terminal Market. So amazing! Should stop by there (down on Arch St. and 11th) if any of you are visiting Penn's campus :)

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:47 pm

There was a power outage starting at 7:30am. Systems are still coming back up. Please check back in one hour.

We are still working to recover from the morning power outage. Systems are still coming back up, please check back in an hour.

From @pennlawitsalert. Explains why the tracker is down. Looks like decisions could be delayed a little today.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:49 pm

Please don't hate me... I'm not sure about the area immediately surrounding Penn.

However, I went to a concert in Philly a few years ago and it was one of the most disgusting cities I've ever visited. Also, one where I felt the least safe.

I would imagine the area around Penn is slightly different but just wanted to throw that out there. If I were to go there I'd probably have to be secluded to the area surrounding the Penn campus.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:54 pm

JoeMo wrote:Please don't hate me... I'm not sure about the area immediately surrounding Penn.

However, I went to a concert in Philly a few years ago and it was one of the most disgusting cities I've ever visited. Also, one where I felt the least safe.

I would imagine the area around Penn is slightly different but just wanted to throw that out there. If I were to go there I'd probably have to be secluded to the area surrounding the Penn campus.

:roll:

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:55 pm

JoeMo wrote:Please don't hate me... I'm not sure about the area immediately surrounding Penn.

It'd a good thing you've decided on Michigan, then.

curiousgeorgia

Postby curiousgeorgia » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:55 pm

Was the concert actually in Philly or was it in Camden? Camden is terrible, but entirely separate. It just happens to be where the concert venue is located (and two rivers separate it from Penn's campus).

Parts of Philly, yes, are rough, but Penn's campus and University City are really nice. Even if you did choose to be secluded in University City, it would still be a great place to live with a lot of housing/dining/entertainment options.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:57 pm

Killingly wrote:It'd a good thing you've decided on Michigan, then.

I agree, and maybe it was just the part of town that I had to drive through to get from point A to point B but I did not like it. I have been told repeatedly since then that the rest of Philly isn't like that so I'll likely visit again soon to see what everyone is talking about. Plus, I'd like to try a proper Philly Cheesesteak.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:58 pm

curiousgeorgia wrote:Was the concert actually in Philly or was it in Camden? Camden is terrible, but entirely separate. It just happens to be where the concert venue is located (and two rivers separate it from Penn's campus).

Parts of Philly, yes, are rough, but Penn's campus and University City are really nice. Even if you did choose to be secluded in University City, it would still be a great place to live with a lot of housing/dining/entertainment options.

It could've been in Camden, I'm not exactly positive.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:04 pm

JoeMo wrote:

I agree, and maybe it was just the part of town that I had to drive through to get from point A to point B but I did not like it. I have been told repeatedly since then that the rest of Philly isn't like that so I'll likely visit again soon to see what everyone is talking about. Plus, I'd like to try a proper Philly Cheesesteak.

On this note, I'd like to say I was extremely disappointed by Gino's.

The REST of the food I had in Philly were all incredible though.

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:06 pm

Curious1 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

On this note, I'd like to say I was extremely disappointed by Gino's.

The REST of the food I had in Philly were all incredible though.

The best cheesesteak in Philly is Steve's Prince of Steaks in the northeast, though I do prefer Gino's to Pat's (though neither is particularly amazing).

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:09 pm

JoeMo wrote:
curiousgeorgia wrote:Was the concert actually in Philly or was it in Camden? Camden is terrible, but entirely separate. It just happens to be where the concert venue is located (and two rivers separate it from Penn's campus).

It could've been in Camden, I'm not exactly positive.

Lol. Did you cross over a bridge? Camden's in Jersey. I ended up going over there though once or twice by accident when I was living in Philly. It is not a fun place.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:15 pm

sandwiches5000 wrote:Lol. Did you cross over a bridge? Camden's in Jersey. I ended up going over there though once or twice by accident when I was living in Philly. It is not a fun place.

Oh, then no, it def wasn't in Jersey. Oh wait, Camden is where Rutgers is? I've been there. hate it there too. LOL

maxpower430

Postby maxpower430 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm

JoeMo wrote:
sandwiches5000 wrote:Lol. Did you cross over a bridge? Camden's in Jersey. I ended up going over there though once or twice by accident when I was living in Philly. It is not a fun place.

Oh, then no, it def wasn't in Jersey. Oh wait, Camden is where Rutgers is? I've been there. hate it there too. LOL

Rutgers has a few campuses, one of which is in Camden. I'm kinda curious where the concert was, b/c the Wachovia Center (or w/e they're calling it these days) is in an isolated/fine area. I'll agree that parts of Philly are really rough (my personal experience with it was in north Philly), but I also think it's pretty difficult to accidentally end up in those bad areas, at least in my experience.

curiousgeorgia

Postby curiousgeorgia » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:22 pm

maxpower430 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

Rutgers has a few campuses, one of which is in Camden. I'm kinda curious where the concert was, b/c the Wachovia Center (or w/e they're calling it these days) is in an isolated/fine area. I'll agree that parts of Philly are really rough (my personal experience with it was in north Philly), but I also think it's pretty difficult to accidentally end up in those bad areas, at least in my experience.

I was just thinking the same thing. Penn's landing? That area is not too bad, but could be better. Was it at a smaller venue like the TLA, the Troc or the Electric Factory?

Don't mean to take over the thread, but it could serve as a good distraction while we wait for more decisions to come out :)

maxpower430

Postby maxpower430 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:31 pm

I thought the Troc/Electric Factory were in decent areas too though? I've never been but my friends have gone to both numerous times and never mentioned any issues or feeling unsafe. Who knows though, I'm really excited to visit Penn sometime this winter/spring. Even though i've been to Philly a lot, I still think it's a really cool city and I'm curious to see how much weight I can gain in a weekend haha.

For those who are Philly natives, how is the public transportation? It was my understanding that the subway isn't that great, and it's much easier to use the buses, is that true/changed in recent years?

addy11

Postby addy11 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:10 pm

It could have been the Mann Center. The center itself is beautiful and has awesome acoustics, but the area around it is seriously rough. I almost got car jacked one time I went there, and another I was walking with a pretty young woman and shit got really dangerous really fast.

I grew up in Philly and the area around it is almost worse than going to Tweeter. At least at Tweeter (in Camden) there is a very delineated path back to public transportation that is well worn by other concert goers and policemen.

Either way Philadelphia gets a realllly bad rap. It's the same thing with Jersey or Detroit: people who have never been there or who have been there very few times make snap judgments about it based on what they've heard or what they've seen on TV. It's really asinine most of the time.

I have no desire to live there (other than to go to Penn), but I would say it holds its own against Boston and DC in terms of cool things to do, culture, education of the population, cleanliness and food. It's less cosmopolitan than either (people tend not to leave Philly), but it's pretty great.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:11 pm

curiousgeorgia wrote:
maxpower430 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

I was just thinking the same thing. Penn's landing? That area is not too bad, but could be better. Was it at a smaller venue like the TLA, the Troc or the Electric Factory?

Don't mean to take over the thread, but it could serve as a good distraction while we wait for more decisions to come out :)

Ok, so after much hunting it was at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby so it looks like it's closest to West Philly.

curiousgeorgia

Postby curiousgeorgia » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:19 pm

JoeMo wrote:
Ok, so after much hunting it was at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby so it looks like it's closest to West Philly.

Upper Darby AKA Upper Dirty = not as cool as University City. I agree with addy, it is easy to make snap judgments about cities with one or two encounters (esp. if they are from movies/TV**) but Philly is cooler than a lot of people think.

**It's Always Sunny is actually pretty accurate/hilarious, though extreme and obviously satirical

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:28 pm

curiousgeorgia wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

Upper Darby AKA Upper Dirty = not as cool as University City. I agree with addy, it is easy to make snap judgments about cities with one or two encounters (esp. if they are from movies/TV**) but Philly is cooler than a lot of people think.

**It's Always Sunny is actually pretty accurate/hilarious, though extreme and obviously satirical

I love Always Sunny. Such a great show (though the first 4 seasons are much, MUCH better than the more recent ones IMO).

So seeing as how their website is still down (and had a message earlier saying they had some severe hardware problems), I guess we won't be hearing any decisions today. Wouldn't be unheard of for them to call people from like 2-5 (they did last year I think), but unless their computer systems are back up soon, I doubt they'd be able to (unless all they need is to get peoples phone #'s, or something like that).

grimfan

Postby grimfan » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:38 pm

addy11 wrote:Either way Philadelphia gets a realllly bad rap. It's the same thing with Jersey or Detroit: people who have never been there or who have been there very few times make snap judgments about it based on what they've heard or what they've seen on TV. It's really asinine most of the time.

Never underestimate the power of the media, man. I must admit that I became a lot more fascinated with Philly after reading "The Corrections". That restaurant-in-the-warehouse idea seemed really hip and cool.

addy11

Postby addy11 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:45 pm

grimfan wrote:
addy11 wrote:Either way Philadelphia gets a realllly bad rap. It's the same thing with Jersey or Detroit: people who have never been there or who have been there very few times make snap judgments about it based on what they've heard or what they've seen on TV. It's really asinine most of the time.

Never underestimate the power of the media, man. I must admit that I became a lot more fascinated with Philly after reading "The Corrections". That restaurant-in-the-warehouse idea seemed really hip and cool.

TITCR. It was weird to have references to so many places with which I was familiar. Also interesting to try to show the pluses and minuses of Midwestern living vs. a glamorized "Beta" East Coast city and the downsides of Manhattan.

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:50 pm

"We experienced a block wide power outage earlier this morning. This power outage caused significant damage to our hardware infrastructure. Repair is underway. Please check back for ongoing status reports.

You can also follow the status at http://twitter.com/pennlawitsalert"
http://www.law.upenn.edu/

I am not happy if this means I have to wait another day or 2. :evil: I can barely concentrate on studying for my one final as it is. :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”