Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bumblebeebuzz

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bumblebeebuzz » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:26 am

Congrats everyone! In with a 170/3.66!

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:13 am

Schang1 wrote:Rejected :-( 169/3.4 applied ED. Not too shocking.

It's still insane to me that answering one or two questions more correct on the LSAT could likely have changed that decision. (I know I'm not helping the situation but I'm just ranting and think it's absurd.)

PennBull wrote:Props to the ED admits today...there's a class of 2015 thread and a facebook group for the class of 2015 that looks to be pretty solid. Based on last year's look the facebook group turned out to be where everybody ended up talking about everything Penn related.

The thread:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171926

The group:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/pennlaw2015/

Also, those who got ding'd: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103945

Cornelius

Postby Cornelius » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:45 am

I'm trying to decide what, exactly, this means (from my held email):
Please feel free to submit additional supporting documents, such as one additional letter of recommendation, an updated resume, or an additional two page essay on the topic of your choice.

Just write a standard LOCI (albeit a long one at two pages), or does the "topic of your choice" bit open that up to something "deeper" almost like another personal statement combined with a LOCI? Them calling it an "essay" of my choice makes me wonder about the applicability of a letter expressing only my interest to attend.

haowu80s

Postby haowu80s » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:34 pm

Cornelius wrote:I'm trying to decide what, exactly, this means (from my held email):
Please feel free to submit additional supporting documents, such as one additional letter of recommendation, an updated resume, or an additional two page essay on the topic of your choice.

Just write a standard LOCI (albeit a long one at two pages), or does the "topic of your choice" bit open that up to something "deeper" almost like another personal statement combined with a LOCI? Them calling it an "essay" of my choice makes me wonder about the applicability of a letter expressing only my interest to attend.

If they put us on hold for more than a month, a LOCI will remind them for another review, otherwise, I don't think a standard LOCI will make any difference since there is nothing new in it.

Cornelius

Postby Cornelius » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:59 pm

haowu80s wrote:
Cornelius wrote:I'm trying to decide what, exactly, this means (from my held email):

If they put us on hold for more than a month, a LOCI will remind them for another review, otherwise, I don't think a standard LOCI will make any difference since there is nothing new in it.

Just really not sure what else I could write, and they specifically mention an essay in the hold email. I feel like a compelling, detailed LOCI could help sway them, but who knows.*shrug*

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:45 pm

Hopefully those of us who didn't hear Friday will hear tomorrow. I don't think i could survive having to wait until Tuesday or longer. :lol:

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:10 pm

iamrobk wrote:Hopefully those of us who didn't hear Friday will hear tomorrow. I don't think i could survive having to wait until Tuesday or longer. :lol:

interestingly, it seems like they aren't really going in order of applications submitted, if you check LSN. this could be a good thing for super marginal candidates that might have thought the ding was just slowly coming down the pipe. i mean, it probably is, but there's still hope.

(referring to myself, not you robk)

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:13 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
iamrobk wrote:Hopefully those of us who didn't hear Friday will hear tomorrow. I don't think i could survive having to wait until Tuesday or longer. :lol:

interestingly, it seems like they aren't really going in order of applications submitted, if you check LSN. this could be a good thing for super marginal candidates that might have thought the ding was just slowly coming down the pipe. i mean, it probably is, but there's still hope.

Yeah, after looking on LSN I was a bit surprised in that I couldn't really find any sort of pattern based on when people submitted/went complete, and also that most people (11 out of 17, or whatever it is) already heard, while in the last few years it seemed a bit more spread out. But yeah, my guess is they'll follow a similar pattern on Monday as they did on Friday (acceptance calls in the morning and emails in the afternoon).

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:15 pm

iamrobk wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:

Yeah, after looking on LSN I was a bit surprised in that I couldn't really find any sort of pattern based on when people submitted/went complete, and also that most people (11 out of 17, or whatever it is) already heard, while in the last few years it seemed a bit more spread out. But yeah, my guess is they'll follow a similar pattern on Monday as they did on Friday (acceptance calls in the morning and emails in the afternoon).

i think so too! stare at phone til noon, hide phone under bed after that.

jasonxu89

Postby jasonxu89 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:15 pm

iamrobk wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:

Maybe in the order of last name? I am in the XYZ range...

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:38 pm

jasonxu89 wrote:
iamrobk wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:

Maybe in the order of last name? I am in the XYZ range...

Possible I guess, but I don't think so. My last name starts with K. If I had to say, I'd guess that they just wanted to take another look at all our applications for various reasons before making a final decision, which is why we didn't hear Friday.

hoya11

Postby hoya11 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:11 pm

They really do not seem to be going in any discernible order. I submitted my app at 6:00 pm on November 15th and heard on Friday (which I did not at all anticipate).

DonnaDraper

Postby DonnaDraper » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:59 pm

The last name theory sounds the most plausible so far.

ucbkenn

Postby ucbkenn » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:44 pm

Complete 12/07. I guess I have awhile until I hear back. Any luck so far among splitters?

jpal13

Postby jpal13 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:06 pm

Just joining thread. Are you guys thinking they will notify RD candidates next week or just more ED's? I wish I had ED to Penn because it's my # 1 now but I was not willing to tie myself down when I submitted apps. 177/3.77 with 3 yrs WE probably would have gotten the nod if I had ED'ed. Who knows now!

ralph_pootawn

Postby ralph_pootawn » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:07 pm

jpal13 wrote:Just joining thread. Are you guys thinking they will notify RD candidates next week or just more ED's? I wish I had ED to Penn because it's my # 1 now but I was not willing to tie myself down when I submitted apps. 177/3.77 with 3 yrs WE probably would have gotten the nod if I had ED'ed. Who knows now!

you made the right call. have a good shot at some scholly money

curiousgeorgia

Postby curiousgeorgia » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:08 pm

jpal13 wrote:Just joining thread. Are you guys thinking they will notify RD candidates next week or just more ED's? I wish I had ED to Penn because it's my # 1 now but I was not willing to tie myself down when I submitted apps. 177/3.77 with 3 yrs WE probably would have gotten the nod if I had ED'ed. Who knows now!

I would almost guarantee that you'll get accepted with those stats. At the very least waitlisted, in which case you can write an LOCI and get in. Probably with $$ too, so good call on not ED'ing.

jpal13

Postby jpal13 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:14 pm

curiousgeorgia wrote:

I would almost guarantee that you'll get accepted with those stats. At the very least waitlisted, in which case you can write an LOCI and get in. Probably with $$ too, so good call on not ED'ing.

I made a huge typo! 171 not 177! How is it looking now? Not as good...
When do u guys think RD candidates will hear anything?

curiousgeorgia

Postby curiousgeorgia » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:17 pm

jpal13 wrote:
I made a huge typo! 171 not 177! How is it looking now? Not as good...
When do u guys think RD candidates will hear anything?

I still think you have a good shot, if you look on LSN, plenty of people have been accepted RD with your stats, and you've got WE too, which helps.

jpal13

Postby jpal13 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:28 pm

hotspur wrote:RD status date change. 12/8/11. Still UCR.

wuddit mean

My status hasn't changed, RD, complete 10/31 
I hate waiting, not even enjoying football night in America

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:09 am

Applied awhile ago, but forgot to check in. :oops: Penn is one of my spaghetti schools, so it's unlikely that I'll be enrolling with any of you, but I'm still excited to see how my cycle turns out. There's a lot to like about Penn; are there any Penn trolls (the good kind) in here? Penn seems like it gets forgotten in the T14 because it doesn't have a niche.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:15 am

Samara wrote:Applied awhile ago, but forgot to check in. :oops: Penn is one of my spaghetti schools, so it's unlikely that I'll be enrolling with any of you, but I'm still excited to see how my cycle turns out. There's a lot to like about Penn; are there any Penn trolls (the good kind) in here? Penn seems like it gets forgotten in the T14 because it doesn't have a niche.

Spaghetti? LOL Please explain

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:19 am

JoeMo wrote:
Samara wrote:Applied awhile ago, but forgot to check in. :oops: Penn is one of my spaghetti schools, so it's unlikely that I'll be enrolling with any of you, but I'm still excited to see how my cycle turns out. There's a lot to like about Penn; are there any Penn trolls (the good kind) in here? Penn seems like it gets forgotten in the T14 because it doesn't have a niche.

Haha, I was JUST about to ask this!

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:24 am

fingerscrossedxx wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

Haha, I was JUST about to ask this!

It's when you're a splitter and apply to a bunch of reach schools in the hopes that one "sticks" and you get accepted. Large splitter cycles (like mine) can be hard to predict, so it's often advised that you apply MVPNCG with the idea that you should get at least one of them and be T14 secure. Derived from the expression "throw spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks." (Does anyone actually do that?)

jpal13

Postby jpal13 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:29 am

I like the spaghetti term, it really applies. I am a reach at HYS but I put in apps to HY anyway so I guess I followed that strategy there. (Hope I'm not a reach at Penn 171/3.77)

To everyone out there waiting for a phone call or email today Good Luck!

I am hoping they won't make RD candidates wait too long. When Duke was putting out decisions I saw everyone who applied within a few days of when I applied and who had similar numbers get accepted and I did not hear anything (accepted) for 2 weeks after that. I had convinced myself I had not gotten it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”