Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
QueMellow
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:09 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby QueMellow » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:45 pm

Genki wrote:
Pt324 wrote:
Genki wrote:Waitlisted yesterday.
172/3.9
:(


I'm sorry to hear that, go light up the Ding Bar!

Did you write a why penn?


I did write a Why Penn essay.
There must have been something else about my application that they just didn't like.
I still have several other great options, so I'm not horribly distraught, but I would have strongly considered Penn if I had got in.
Guess I'll sit down and write a LOCI this weekend.

Good luck to everyone that is still waiting to hear back. The fact that you were not part of yesterday's waitlist group might mean an acceptance is in your future!


Denzel voice: "My man."

User avatar
commonpleas
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby commonpleas » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:47 pm

QueMellow wrote:
Genki wrote:
Pt324 wrote:
Genki wrote:Waitlisted yesterday.
172/3.9
:(


I'm sorry to hear that, go light up the Ding Bar!

Did you write a why penn?


I did write a Why Penn essay.
There must have been something else about my application that they just didn't like.
I still have several other great options, so I'm not horribly distraught, but I would have strongly considered Penn if I had got in.
Guess I'll sit down and write a LOCI this weekend.

Good luck to everyone that is still waiting to hear back. The fact that you were not part of yesterday's waitlist group might mean an acceptance is in your future!


Denzel voice: "My man."


What I wouldn't give if this were indeed the case...I haven't felt this amount of anxiety and anticipation for any other school, which makes me even more confident that Penn is my first choice. Also, if I learned anything from being at Penn for undergrad, it is that they respect and respond to genuine sincerity and intellect, so a good LOCI should do the trick for you. Good luck!!

83947368
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 83947368 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:25 pm

.
Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

admisionquestion
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby admisionquestion » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:32 am

Liquox wrote:
admisionquestion wrote:Okay, rather than posting a typical, which school should I choose post... I have a better idea.

Let's get a serious discussion going on "why not Penn." I am not asking, why should I not choose Penn. I am hoping to get a list of good arguments for why ANY school is better than Penn.

I'll knock out the obvious few:
1. You don't want to live in Philadelphia.
2. You don't want to practice in a market Penn is strong in.
3. You got a big scholarship from HYSCCN.

Okay have at it...


yo man, wrong tread. try the ding bar.


I'm confused. I am not familiar with the ding bar thread--as I'm not into being dinged ;) (and have not been rejected at Penn).

I was pretty clear about my intentions. This is not the "Penn class of 2015 thread" it is the applicant thread, and as such it seems appropriate to start a conversation about potential reasons not to attend--as well as blatant pro-penn trolling.

Another way to phrase my post would just be, Given that Penn is blowing its peers away in terms of employment data. What makes them competitive?

ahnhub
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ahnhub » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:01 am

admisionquestion wrote: I'm confused. I am not familiar with the ding bar thread--as I'm not into being dinged ;) (and have not been rejected at Penn).

I was pretty clear about my intentions. This is not the "Penn class of 2015 thread" it is the applicant thread, and as such it seems appropriate to start a conversation about potential reasons not to attend--as well as blatant pro-penn trolling.

Another way to phrase my post would just be, Given that Penn is blowing its peers away in terms of employment data. What makes them competitive?


The employment stats are awesome. Penn is a great place for job prospects. Having 55% in NLJ 250 during the worst hiring year in modern history is impressive. If everything else were equal and I just wanted to pick a school purely for Biglaw employment prospects, I would still probably go to Harvard, Chicago, or Columbia (possibly even NYU) over Penn. (And whatever edge I give to those schools over Penn for that purpose is probably marginal).

admisionquestion
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby admisionquestion » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:14 am

Yeah i agree with all that. Im asking the opposite question, given the biglaw data, is there any reason to still see mvp as a peer group. Seeks much more like the new world order is:
YHS
CCNP
NUMVBC
G

Asside from merrely personal factors, why would anyone take mvbcgnu over p?

ahnhub
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ahnhub » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:36 am

admisionquestion wrote:Yeah i agree with all that. Im asking the opposite question, given the biglaw data, is there any reason to still see mvp as a peer group. Seeks much more like the new world order is:
YHS
CCNP
NUMVBC
G

Asside from merrely personal factors, why would anyone take mvbcgnu over p?


Because people may think your absolute chances of Biglaw at any T-14 are similar enough, that personal factors and how you "feel" about a certain school can outweigh differences in job prospects. It may seem weird to say that in a year when Penn apparently put almost twice the percentage of grads in Biglaw as Michigan, but I continue to believe whatever advantage Penn (or Columbia, or Chicago) might have is still not game-changing. I can't really give a great explanation for how schools considered peer could have such drastically different results in a year, but people have tried (Michigan's reliance on Chicago, secondary markets, OCS screwing up that year, etc.--none are satisfactory, but they do sorta make sense) I still think if you go to Michigan and get median grades and do your due diligence and bid smart at OCI, your absolute chances at landing a job are similar enough to a median Penn student (but I concede Penn probably does have an advantage, and depending on what your definition of "significant" is it may be significant--5%? 10%?).

Outside of Biglaw, there may be job-related reasons to go to other schools. UVA enjoys being close to DC--they are over-represented on the DC clerking circuit and DC law firms (which are harder to get than NY firms), and you have access to DC for clinics and 1L summer work. If you want to work in the South you probably want to go to Duke or UVA over UPenn.

sandiego222
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:21 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sandiego222 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:24 am

admisionquestion wrote:Yeah i agree with all that. Im asking the opposite question, given the biglaw data, is there any reason to still see mvp as a peer group. Seeks much more like the new world order is:
YHS
CCNP
NUMVBC
G

Asside from merrely personal factors, why would anyone take mvbcgnu over p?



I'm going to go ahead and say this is absurd

Part of Michigan's employment "inferiority" is that fewer Mich. grads are looking to work at the big NY firms

The reputation of MVP seems to be pretty even. Unbelievable to think it's not a peer group.


By the way, is there any insight as to collaboration between these admissions offices? I know 2 other friends who have almost the same stats as I do. Each of us got into 1, and waitlisted from the other 2. And honestly, our applications/ personal info probably best aligns each with the school that we did get into. Weird

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JustE » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:56 am

You know, I almost forgot I was still waiting on Penn... Hell, I applied around Thanksgiving. What the hell could they possibly be doing? Reject me already! lol.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby top30man » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:21 am

sandiego222 wrote:
admisionquestion wrote:Yeah i agree with all that. Im asking the opposite question, given the biglaw data, is there any reason to still see mvp as a peer group. Seeks much more like the new world order is:
YHS
CCNP
NUMVBC
G

Asside from merrely personal factors, why would anyone take mvbcgnu over p?



I'm going to go ahead and say this is absurd

Part of Michigan's employment "inferiority" is that fewer Mich. grads are looking to work at the big NY firms

The reputation of MVP seems to be pretty even. Unbelievable to think it's not a peer group.


By the way, is there any insight as to collaboration between these admissions offices? I know 2 other friends who have almost the same stats as I do. Each of us got into 1, and waitlisted from the other 2. And honestly, our applications/ personal info probably best aligns each with the school that we did get into. Weird

Yeah. It's one year of data. Though penn traditional does do very well. However, M and V are usually closer to it in terms of percentage. Also, more M grads self select into pi.

User avatar
captainwasabi09
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby captainwasabi09 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:29 am

WLed wednesday, but its no big deal because i responded to the WL email by telling them i would likely take up Harvard's offer of admission. Penn responded with a generic email.

Keep it classy folks.

nametaken
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby nametaken » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:32 am

Penn and I are now 6 days away from our 12 week anniversary. 2nd UR 1/23. What. is. going. on.

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cogitoergosum » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:32 pm

Penn,

I'm assuming you'll be making acceptance calls today... I'm available between now and 6:00, so call any time in there please.

Thanks!
Cog

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JustE » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:34 pm

JustE wrote:You know, I almost forgot I was still waiting on Penn... Hell, I applied around Thanksgiving. What the hell could they possibly be doing? Reject me already! lol.


Well, I'm guessing they read this... Just went UR again as of today... No clue what that means... But can't wait to hear more.

User avatar
moxy
Posts: 482
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby moxy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:38 pm

JustE wrote:
JustE wrote:You know, I almost forgot I was still waiting on Penn... Hell, I applied around Thanksgiving. What the hell could they possibly be doing? Reject me already! lol.


Well, I'm guessing they read this... Just went UR again as of today... No clue what that means... But can't wait to hear more.


When was your first UR?

brown822015
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:34 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby brown822015 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:46 pm

nametaken wrote:Penn and I are now 6 days away from our 12 week anniversary. 2nd UR 1/23. What. is. going. on.


I'm on week 16...

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JustE » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:54 pm

moxy wrote:
JustE wrote:
JustE wrote:You know, I almost forgot I was still waiting on Penn... Hell, I applied around Thanksgiving. What the hell could they possibly be doing? Reject me already! lol.


Well, I'm guessing they read this... Just went UR again as of today... No clue what that means... But can't wait to hear more.


When was your first UR?


Complete 12/1 and first UR was 1/12. Just realized it's been 13 weeks. Guess I should be hearing back soon...

nametaken
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby nametaken » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:07 pm

brown822015 wrote:
nametaken wrote:Penn and I are now 6 days away from our 12 week anniversary. 2nd UR 1/23. What. is. going. on.


I'm on week 16...


Have you had 2 URs? So annoying, I feel for you and hope I don't have to wait another 4 weeks to hear anything.

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JustE » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:08 pm

Good point. This is only my second UR date... Does that mean it just got to the second adcom? I feel like I will have put down a deposit before I hear back...

brown822015
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:34 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby brown822015 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:02 pm

nametaken wrote:
brown822015 wrote:
nametaken wrote:Penn and I are now 6 days away from our 12 week anniversary. 2nd UR 1/23. What. is. going. on.


I'm on week 16...


Have you had 2 URs? So annoying, I feel for you and hope I don't have to wait another 4 weeks to hear anything.


Yup...my second UR date was 1/12

EmilyL8487
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:40 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby EmilyL8487 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:33 pm

Silent Friday so far......

User avatar
commonpleas
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby commonpleas » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:39 pm

EmilyL8487 wrote:Silent Friday so far......


I have refused to be separated from my phone all day. I hope at least some of us get a call sometime in the remaining two hours!

User avatar
drizzle12
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby drizzle12 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:12 pm

WL email just now. Complete 12/5, UCR 1/27 and 2/29.

User avatar
kennethellenparcell
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kennethellenparcell » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:27 pm

Still stuck at 1/27 first UCR. Penn, you make me so sad.

User avatar
commonpleas
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby commonpleas » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:37 pm

This is not a good time to be receiving countless Penn alumni and other miscellaneous Penn listserv emails. My heart skips a beat every time I see the word "Penn" in my inbox...not sure how much longer I can handle this for...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”