Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Lawbro
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Lawbro » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Lets go upenn, we demand some more answers today

User avatar
hypothalamus
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby hypothalamus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:45 pm

At the risk of sounding whiney, I'm just a tiny bit worried about this WL, or rather about what it bodes for H and S. I fully expected Penn to waitlist me without a Why Penn essay or any indicated specific interest, but looking at the other waitlisted people, a lot of the have numbers that are a little low for Penn to begin with. I expected a "we know you won't attend" kind of waitlist, but now I'm starting to think it's just a "you're not quite good enough" waitlist. :/

User avatar
Lawbro
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Lawbro » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:48 pm

hypothalamus wrote:At the risk of sounding whiney, I'm just a tiny bit worried about this WL, or rather about what it bodes for H and S. I fully expected Penn to waitlist me without a Why Penn essay or any indicated specific interest, but looking at the other waitlisted people, a lot of the have numbers that are a little low for Penn to begin with. I expected a "we know you won't attend" kind of waitlist, but now I'm starting to think it's just a "you're not quite good enough" waitlist. :/


what are your numbers?

adam1
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:36 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby adam1 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:50 pm

hypothalamus wrote:At the risk of sounding whiney, I'm just a tiny bit worried about this WL, or rather about what it bodes for H and S. I fully expected Penn to waitlist me without a Why Penn essay or any indicated specific interest, but looking at the other waitlisted people, a lot of the have numbers that are a little low for Penn to begin with. I expected a "we know you won't attend" kind of waitlist, but now I'm starting to think it's just a "you're not quite good enough" waitlist. :/


If you're serious about H and S, it's YP. That is all.

User avatar
hypothalamus
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby hypothalamus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:53 pm

Lawbro wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:At the risk of sounding whiney, I'm just a tiny bit worried about this WL, or rather about what it bodes for H and S. I fully expected Penn to waitlist me without a Why Penn essay or any indicated specific interest, but looking at the other waitlisted people, a lot of the have numbers that are a little low for Penn to begin with. I expected a "we know you won't attend" kind of waitlist, but now I'm starting to think it's just a "you're not quite good enough" waitlist. :/


what are your numbers?


173, 3.7 (HYP)
So I don't have numbers that demand YP, but CLS and NYU did accept me...

User avatar
Lawbro
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Lawbro » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:58 pm

hypothalamus wrote:
Lawbro wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:At the risk of sounding whiney, I'm just a tiny bit worried about this WL, or rather about what it bodes for H and S. I fully expected Penn to waitlist me without a Why Penn essay or any indicated specific interest, but looking at the other waitlisted people, a lot of the have numbers that are a little low for Penn to begin with. I expected a "we know you won't attend" kind of waitlist, but now I'm starting to think it's just a "you're not quite good enough" waitlist. :/


what are your numbers?


173, 3.7 (HYP)
So I don't have numbers that demand YP, but CLS and NYU did accept me...


I would be very excited about that, I wish I got into CLS or NYU

astaris
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby astaris » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:16 pm

hypothalamus wrote:
Lawbro wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:At the risk of sounding whiney, I'm just a tiny bit worried about this WL, or rather about what it bodes for H and S. I fully expected Penn to waitlist me without a Why Penn essay or any indicated specific interest, but looking at the other waitlisted people, a lot of the have numbers that are a little low for Penn to begin with. I expected a "we know you won't attend" kind of waitlist, but now I'm starting to think it's just a "you're not quite good enough" waitlist. :/


what are your numbers?


173, 3.7 (HYP)
So I don't have numbers that demand YP, but CLS and NYU did accept me...


Those are almost my exact stats (I was also admitted to CLS and NYU), and I was accepted yesterday without a Why Penn essay, so who knows? I wouldn't worry too much about it.

User avatar
hypothalamus
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby hypothalamus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:18 pm

astaris wrote:Those are almost my exact stats (I was also admitted to CLS and NYU), and I was accepted yesterday without a Why Penn essay, so who knows? I wouldn't worry too much about it.


That's just what worries me - your app was cool enough for them to overlook the lack of Why Penn essay. Mine wasn't. :D And they didn't even have to think very hard about my app, because I only had my first UCR 1/27 and they already got back to me, whereas other people have been waiting for muuuuch longer.

astaris
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby astaris » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:22 pm

Yeah, Penn was reallllllllllly slow with mine. I think my second UR was around that time (I had submitted back in November).
But as far as being numbers twins and me getting in while you were waitlisted, I was waitlisted at Chicago and Georgetown, so I think waitlisting is sort of a weird, arbitrary thing anyway. And of course, HYS is even weirder and arbitrary-er. Sigh.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nelson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:23 pm

hypothalamus wrote:
astaris wrote:Those are almost my exact stats (I was also admitted to CLS and NYU), and I was accepted yesterday without a Why Penn essay, so who knows? I wouldn't worry too much about it.


That's just what worries me - your app was cool enough for them to overlook the lack of Why Penn essay. Mine wasn't. :D And they didn't even have to think very hard about my app, because I only had my first UCR 1/27 and they already got back to me, whereas other people have been waiting for muuuuch longer.

Did you write a Why Penn or not? If you didn't, why are you so concerned?

Edit: because that sounded kind of jerk-ish. What I'm getting at is that not everyone with NYU/Columbia numbers gets WLd at Penn, even without a Why Penn, but the chances increase. So if you didn't write one, then your chances for getting WLd for whatever reason increase. Anything they don't like about your app is magnified by you not showing interest.

User avatar
Lawbro
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Lawbro » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:36 pm

Is it too late to write a why penn?

User avatar
hypothalamus
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby hypothalamus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:40 pm

Nelson wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:
astaris wrote:Those are almost my exact stats (I was also admitted to CLS and NYU), and I was accepted yesterday without a Why Penn essay, so who knows? I wouldn't worry too much about it.


That's just what worries me - your app was cool enough for them to overlook the lack of Why Penn essay. Mine wasn't. :D And they didn't even have to think very hard about my app, because I only had my first UCR 1/27 and they already got back to me, whereas other people have been waiting for muuuuch longer.

Did you write a Why Penn or not? If you didn't, why are you so concerned?

Edit: because that sounded kind of jerk-ish. What I'm getting at is that not everyone with NYU/Columbia numbers gets WLd at Penn, even without a Why Penn, but the chances increase. So if you didn't write one, then your chances for getting WLd for whatever reason increase. Anything they don't like about your app is magnified by you not showing interest.


Haha no, I know that. I was going to write a Why Penn, but then I got some acceptances elsewhere and couldn't muster the motivation. I guess my concern is that I wasn't an awesome enough applicant for them to ignore the lack of clear interest, which they do for other people. This is a concern in relation to the schools I have yet to hear from, for which my numbers are straight up pathetic. :D

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nelson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:49 pm

hypothalamus wrote:Haha no, I know that. I was going to write a Why Penn, but then I got some acceptances elsewhere and couldn't muster the motivation. I guess my concern is that I wasn't an awesome enough applicant for them to ignore the lack of clear interest, which they do for other people. This is a concern in relation to the schools I have yet to hear from, for which my numbers are straight up pathetic. :D

Who knows what adcomms look at in people's apps to differentiate between people with the same numbers? I think at some point it's a total crapshoot school to school. You have some great acceptances so clearly your app is fine.

astaris
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby astaris » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:01 pm

Nelson wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:Haha no, I know that. I was going to write a Why Penn, but then I got some acceptances elsewhere and couldn't muster the motivation. I guess my concern is that I wasn't an awesome enough applicant for them to ignore the lack of clear interest, which they do for other people. This is a concern in relation to the schools I have yet to hear from, for which my numbers are straight up pathetic. :D

Who knows what adcomms look at in people's apps to differentiate between people with the same numbers? I think at some point it's a total crapshoot school to school. You have some great acceptances so clearly your app is fine.


This. There's obviously gotta be tens/maybe hundreds? of people with same/similar numbers. Some schools like something about you, others don't. C'est la vie. I just think: if they didn't like the softs on my app, I probably wouldn't like them. So nyah! :D

User avatar
hypothalamus
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby hypothalamus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:23 pm

astaris wrote:
Nelson wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:Haha no, I know that. I was going to write a Why Penn, but then I got some acceptances elsewhere and couldn't muster the motivation. I guess my concern is that I wasn't an awesome enough applicant for them to ignore the lack of clear interest, which they do for other people. This is a concern in relation to the schools I have yet to hear from, for which my numbers are straight up pathetic. :D

Who knows what adcomms look at in people's apps to differentiate between people with the same numbers? I think at some point it's a total crapshoot school to school. You have some great acceptances so clearly your app is fine.


This. There's obviously gotta be tens/maybe hundreds? of people with same/similar numbers. Some schools like something about you, others don't. C'est la vie. I just think: if they didn't like the softs on my app, I probably wouldn't like them. So nyah! :D


I like your style 8)

User avatar
Lawbro
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Lawbro » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:35 pm

At the risk of annoying people, ill ask again. Can one still write a "why UPenn" and send it via email, or is this something that should have been sent in at the time of the application. This school has now become my top choice and I would like the express this as best as possible to the admissions committee

User avatar
hypothalamus
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby hypothalamus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:38 pm

Lawbro wrote:At the risk of annoying people, ill ask again. Can one still write a "why UPenn" and send it via email, or is this something that should have been sent in at the time of the application. This school has now become my top choice and I would like the express this as best as possible to the admissions committee


You can still send one.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nelson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:38 pm

Lawbro wrote:At the risk of annoying people, ill ask again. Can one still write a "why UPenn" and send it via email, or is this something that should have been sent in at the time of the application. This school has now become my top choice and I would like the express this as best as possible to the admissions committee

Send it now bro.

User avatar
SpottyCoverage
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:59 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby SpottyCoverage » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:40 pm

Lawbro wrote:At the risk of annoying people, ill ask again. Can one still write a "why UPenn" and send it via email, or is this something that should have been sent in at the time of the application. This school has now become my top choice and I would like the express this as best as possible to the admissions committee


Give 'em a call. See if they'll accept it. If (when) they tell you yes send it in.

User avatar
Lawbro
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Lawbro » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:42 pm

Thanks guys :D

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Bronck » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:43 pm

So when does Penn send out scholarship info? So far they've been useless as a leverage token.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nelson » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:48 pm

Bronck wrote:So when does Penn send out scholarship info? So far they've been useless as a leverage token.

March.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Bronck » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:50 pm

Cool, thanks.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nelson » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:52 pm

Bronck wrote:Cool, thanks.

I wouldn't count on getting much. Unless you were offered one of the named awards, 15-20k per year seems to be the max. I'm guessing you're leveraging NYU/Columbia and I'd expect to probably get similar offers from all 3 with your numbers.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Bronck » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:07 pm

Nelson wrote:
Bronck wrote:Cool, thanks.

I wouldn't count on getting much. Unless you were offered one of the named awards, 15-20k per year seems to be the max. I'm guessing you're leveraging NYU/Columbia and I'd expect to probably get similar offers from all 3 with your numbers.


Oh really? Thanks for the heads up. I was actually a bit surprised I didn't get invited to any of the named awards.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”