Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
maxpower430
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby maxpower430 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:58 pm

snehpets wrote:
RomaRomaRoma wrote:Anyone with a first UR 1/12 update again yet?


Yeah, I updated to 1/17 but didn't hear anything today. There were a couple others like that too I think. One person earlier had 1/12 1/17 and they got in today.


Same two updates here, silence as well.

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby snehpets » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:00 pm

maxpower430 wrote:
snehpets wrote:
RomaRomaRoma wrote:Anyone with a first UR 1/12 update again yet?


Yeah, I updated to 1/17 but didn't hear anything today. There were a couple others like that too I think. One person earlier had 1/12 1/17 and they got in today.


Same two updates here, silence as well.


Hmm. We both have good numbers for penn I think (my 3.8 is actually almost a 3.9). Wonder if they're waitlist kind of numbers though. They don't seem to be according to LSN (at least mine don't), but I do worry about submitting late and not writing a why penn or anything.

User avatar
crumpledq
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby crumpledq » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:03 pm

snehpets wrote:
maxpower430 wrote:
snehpets wrote:
RomaRomaRoma wrote:Anyone with a first UR 1/12 update again yet?


Yeah, I updated to 1/17 but didn't hear anything today. There were a couple others like that too I think. One person earlier had 1/12 1/17 and they got in today.


Same two updates here, silence as well.


Hmm. We both have good numbers for penn I think (my 3.8 is actually almost a 3.9). Wonder if they're waitlist kind of numbers though. They don't seem to be according to LSN (at least mine don't), but I do worry about submitting late and not writing a why penn or anything.


Maybe they are considering you for special scholarships :)

User avatar
PopTorts13
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby PopTorts13 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:05 pm

Yeah, I updated to 1/17 but didn't hear anything today. There were a couple others like that too I think. One person earlier had 1/12 1/17 and they got in today.[/quote]

Same two updates here, silence as well.[/quote]

Hmm. We both have good numbers for penn I think (my 3.8 is actually almost a 3.9). Wonder if they're waitlist kind of numbers though. They don't seem to be according to LSN (at least mine don't), but I do worry about submitting late and not writing a why penn or anything.[/quote]

Maybe they are considering you for special scholarships :)[/quote]

Hopefully that is the case for me as I am a 174, 3.99 applicant with the 1/12 and 1/17 updates. Money for all! :-)

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby snehpets » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:12 pm

crumpledq wrote:Maybe they are considering you for special scholarships :)


Haha, my UChi waitlist has really freaked me out (not that I was super deserving or anything, but seeing all the people with similar or lower numbers get in). I'm wondering if my app was offensive or something.

ETA: this is not to say that I'm not totally grateful for other acceptances, just kind of vaguely worried.

User avatar
Shooter
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Shooter » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Just in case it helps:

I submitted on 11/30, my app was received on 12/1 and I got a complete e-mail on 12/13. No clue what my UR dates were.

Also, my nums are pretty good for Penn (slightly above/at both 75ths?) and I wrote a supplemental essay.

RomaRomaRoma
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby RomaRomaRoma » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:26 pm

RomaRomaRoma wrote:Anyone with a first UR 1/12 update again yet?



Sorry to bump, but for the new page: Anyone update today?

nametaken
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby nametaken » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:33 pm

Finally under committee review 1/20 wooooo

User avatar
zoohoo
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby zoohoo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:45 pm

snehpets wrote:
crumpledq wrote:Maybe they are considering you for special scholarships :)


Haha, my UChi waitlist has really freaked me out (not that I was super deserving or anything, but seeing all the people with similar or lower numbers get in). I'm wondering if my app was offensive or something.

ETA: this is not to say that I'm not totally grateful for other acceptances, just kind of vaguely worried.

+1 I'm feeling the same way ever since that damn UChi waitlist.

maxpower430
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby maxpower430 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:12 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:Yeah, I updated to 1/17 but didn't hear anything today. There were a couple others like that too I think. One person earlier had 1/12 1/17 and they got in today.


Same two updates here, silence as well.[/quote]

Hmm. We both have good numbers for penn I think (my 3.8 is actually almost a 3.9). Wonder if they're waitlist kind of numbers though. They don't seem to be according to LSN (at least mine don't), but I do worry about submitting late and not writing a why penn or anything.[/quote]

Maybe they are considering you for special scholarships :)[/quote]

Hopefully that is the case for me as I am a 174, 3.99 applicant with the 1/12 and 1/17 updates. Money for all! :-)[/quote]

haha here's hoping to some money. fwiw though, I'm starting to think the whole UR date stuff is mostly coincidence, if only because decisions seem to come with all sorts of dates, but I guess we'll see.

RomaRomaRoma
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby RomaRomaRoma » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:25 pm

..Have two people with the same dates ended up with different outcomes?

User avatar
smokeylarue
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby smokeylarue » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:26 pm

Feeling very lonely still stuck at 12/19 :( I feel like my app has been red-flagged for something, at least tell me something and end my pain!

Congrats to all of today's admits! I envy you.

User avatar
naw
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby naw » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:30 pm

lrslayer wrote:just dinged :(
feels weird to be the only one today

you are not alone

User avatar
crumpledq
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby crumpledq » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:33 pm

smokeylarue wrote:Feeling very lonely still stuck at 12/19 :( I feel like my app has been red-flagged for something, at least tell me something and end my pain!

Congrats to all of today's admits! I envy you.


I'm actually comforted by the fact that those of us stuck on 12/19 didn't hear anything today. I think it really means that we have yet to be examined by the requisite second reviewer, so we still have hope :)

avemundi
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby avemundi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:01 pm

has anyone held for ED heard back yet? Penn, I love you so so so much please let me in :( Congrats to everyone who got in - I'm not at all jealous!!!! (well, tiny bit jealous)

User avatar
mickeyD
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mickeyD » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:09 pm

amc987 wrote:
mickeyD wrote:Literally just got the call from Dean Post. I'm in!!!

UR 12/19 and 1/18


Congrats!!! I know you were disappointed about a couple of WLs this month, so I'm glad this one worked out well for you!


Thanks! Really excited. You've been having an awesome cycle with the Darrow and now Chicago! Hopefully we get some love at Harvard.

American_in_China
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:19 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby American_in_China » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:19 pm

Waitlisted, but that isn't surprising- I didn't write any supplemental essays. Penn really turned me off when I tried to visit, and they not only said I couldn't speak to anyone in admissions, they were rude about it. I spent 4 years at a college where the administration was rude and unresponsive, and I have no intention of dealing with that in Law School.

User avatar
poultry
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:34 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby poultry » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:20 pm

zoohoo wrote:
snehpets wrote:
crumpledq wrote:Maybe they are considering you for special scholarships :)


Haha, my UChi waitlist has really freaked me out (not that I was super deserving or anything, but seeing all the people with similar or lower numbers get in). I'm wondering if my app was offensive or something.

ETA: this is not to say that I'm not totally grateful for other acceptances, just kind of vaguely worried.

+1 I'm feeling the same way ever since that damn UChi waitlist.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:24 pm

American_in_China wrote:Waitlisted, but that isn't surprising- I didn't write any supplemental essays. Penn really turned me off when I tried to visit, and they not only said I couldn't speak to anyone in admissions, they were rude about it. I spent 4 years at a college where the administration was rude and unresponsive, and I have no intention of dealing with that in Law School.


I don't know what happened, but they are anything but rude. I don't know if I would make a school decision based on one phone call with an administrative staff that you will never have any contact with after this May. I think you would be shorting yourself by approaching that way.

Regardless, best of luck at the schools you really want!

User avatar
zoohoo
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby zoohoo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:27 pm

crumpledq wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:Feeling very lonely still stuck at 12/19 :( I feel like my app has been red-flagged for something, at least tell me something and end my pain!

Congrats to all of today's admits! I envy you.


I'm actually comforted by the fact that those of us stuck on 12/19 didn't hear anything today. I think it really means that we have yet to be examined by the requisite second reviewer, so we still have hope :)


Oh please, please let there still be hope!

roddy4
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby roddy4 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:21 pm

avemundi wrote:has anyone held for ED heard back yet? Penn, I love you so so so much please let me in :( Congrats to everyone who got in - I'm not at all jealous!!!! (well, tiny bit jealous)



I was held from ED with a grade request and haven't heard anything since. Had a 4.0 last semester so I was pretty hopeful but the longer I wait the more nervous I'm getting. Definitely still my top choice.

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cogitoergosum » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:06 am

Visited Penn today, and really loved it. It's my new first choice. I don't mean to sound like the Penn viewbook or anything, but the collegial atmosphere thing is really true. I talked to a couple students after they noticed my nice Penn visitor's folder. They asked how I was enjoying my visit and shared some of what they like about Penn. The smaller setting is really nice, IMO. Facilities are great, they are still putting finishing touches on the new building, but it looks really top-notch.

Crumpledq, to answer your question, LRAP applies to some but not all government work. She didn't say more than that, and someone else asked, so I didn't even have to... :)

User avatar
Cornelius
Posts: 505
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Cornelius » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:57 am

cogitoergosum wrote:Visited Penn today, and really loved it. It's my new first choice. I don't mean to sound like the Penn viewbook or anything, but the collegial atmosphere thing is really true. I talked to a couple students after they noticed my nice Penn visitor's folder. They asked how I was enjoying my visit and shared some of what they like about Penn. The smaller setting is really nice, IMO. Facilities are great, they are still putting finishing touches on the new building, but it looks really top-notch.

Crumpledq, to answer your question, LRAP applies to some but not all government work. She didn't say more than that, and someone else asked, so I didn't even have to... :)

From the Tollrap guidelines:
Eligible Employment:
...employment by federal, state or local government...
Judicial Clerkships. Employment as a judicial law clerk is not eligible employment as, for many
graduates, the clerkship period is a short-term commitment leading directly to a high paying position

I'm assuming the "government work" not eligible is a clerkship.

Also, yes, the new building really does look quite nice.

User avatar
sailboat
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:43 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sailboat » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:00 am

XCanadian91 wrote:
sailboat wrote:In via phone call earlier this afternoon! Submitted late Oct, median GPA and above 75 LSAT, no why Penn (though I did label my addendum as an 'optional essay,' since it fit within the guidelines).

congrats!


Thanks! :) Hope you have good news coming soon!

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:00 am

Are there any photos online of the new building?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”