Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jpal13
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jpal13 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:38 pm

crumpledq wrote:
lameslice57 wrote:#leftbehind


+1


I am so nervous for us. 12/19 and nothing....

User avatar
avamango
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:36 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby avamango » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:08 pm

danielhay11 wrote:
KevinP wrote:
justicefishy wrote:+1. Got my first UR on 1/12, complete on 11/22, hope that isn't a bad sign of things to come.

First UR on 1/12 as well with no subsequent update. I wonder if we might get a reply by this Friday....


+1

+1

User avatar
dakure
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby dakure » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:22 pm

jpal13 wrote:
crumpledq wrote:
lameslice57 wrote:#leftbehind


+1


I am so nervous for us. 12/19 and nothing....

ugh seriously. this is the worst.

User avatar
luxxe
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby luxxe » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:26 pm

danielhay11 wrote:
KevinP wrote:
justicefishy wrote:+1. Got my first UR on 1/12, complete on 11/22, hope that isn't a bad sign of things to come.

First UR on 1/12 as well with no subsequent update. I wonder if we might get a reply by this Friday....


+1

Me too.
I'm not expecting such a quick turnaround, but it would be nice.

spiritniffler189
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby spiritniffler189 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:30 pm

I want to hear back on Friday so I can focus on being nervous over VCE/Columbia next week. I might push a little kid or something if I have Penn and Columbia next week to worry about.

User avatar
crumpledq
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby crumpledq » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:31 pm

dakure wrote:
jpal13 wrote:
crumpledq wrote:
lameslice57 wrote:#leftbehind


+1


I am so nervous for us. 12/19 and nothing....

ugh seriously. this is the worst.


So worried right now. I thought that of all my pending responses, Penn was my best chance since I'm an alum and I had a Penn Law-specific LOR from someone who teaches there. I'm getting a bad feeling about this now. I will be tres sad when my rejection arrives.
Last edited by crumpledq on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
amc987
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:58 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby amc987 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:31 pm

spiritniffler189 wrote:I want to hear back on Friday so I can focus on being nervous over VCE/Columbia next week. I might push a little kid or something if I have Penn and Columbia next week to worry about.


This, lol.

addy11
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby addy11 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:33 pm

This week my 12 weeks will elapse (and close to a month since 2nd review). I know it's not a "hard" deadline, but sheesh, Penn. Let me know! I'm willing to overlook the undergrad ding and embrace you as a law school, if only you'll let me. <3

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby EMZE » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:40 pm

12/19 updated to today 1/17

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:44 pm

I fully anticipate there being another batch on Friday

User avatar
lrslayer
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lrslayer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:14 pm

Second ur today. first was 12/19.

User avatar
dakure
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby dakure » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:16 pm

WAIII DO YOU HATE ME PENN

maxpower430
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby maxpower430 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:18 pm

Lily Pad wrote:
StarLightSpectre wrote:Have any 1/12's updated today?


I first updated 1/12, just updated to 1/17 this morning.


Same here, though I'm not positive when mine changed today.

User avatar
captainwasabi09
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby captainwasabi09 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:26 pm

Curious... I applied relatively recently (think late December) but there are some updates that I would like to inform Penn and other law schools of. First, I was promoted from Senior Editor to Graduate Editing Director on the journal I work with, and I have new grades that sadly have not been posted on LSAC yet even though they were sent in two weeks ago. Should I still write Penn about this so they're aware I'll have new grades rolling in, and a new journal position?

Thanks guys

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby EMZE » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:38 pm

captainwasabi09 wrote:Curious... I applied relatively recently (think late December) but there are some updates that I would like to inform Penn and other law schools of. First, I was promoted from Senior Editor to Graduate Editing Director on the journal I work with, and I have new grades that sadly have not been posted on LSAC yet even though they were sent in two weeks ago. Should I still write Penn about this so they're aware I'll have new grades rolling in, and a new journal position?

Thanks guys


I think the general rule of thumb is:

Don't<--No<-- Does it make you a more compelling applicant for admission? --> yes-->send it

Write a brief letter explaining that these developments are new and that you wish for them to also be considered within your file. Because you applied so recently, I probably wouldn't include anything about how much you want Penn other than a one liner at the end saying something to the effect of "I hope these additions are helpful during you consideration of my file and I would be honored to join the class of 2015."

law2015
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby law2015 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:14 pm

My status also updated from 12/19 to 1/17 today and I just missed a call from PA, 215 area code. When I call back nobody picks up. Was that UPenn?

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby iamrobk » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:15 pm

law2015 wrote:My status also updated from 12/19 to 1/17 today and I just missed a call from PA, 215 area code. When I call back nobody picks up. Was that UPenn?

Your status checker should update to say you're accepted. I'd be surprised if they were calling people now, but who knows.

User avatar
seahawk32
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:19 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby seahawk32 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:15 pm

maxpower430 wrote:
Lily Pad wrote:
StarLightSpectre wrote:Have any 1/12's updated today?


I first updated 1/12, just updated to 1/17 this morning.


Same here, though I'm not positive when mine changed today.



+1

law2015
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby law2015 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:18 pm

iamrobk wrote:
law2015 wrote:My status also updated from 12/19 to 1/17 today and I just missed a call from PA, 215 area code. When I call back nobody picks up. Was that UPenn?

Your status checker should update to say you're accepted. I'd be surprised if they were calling people now, but who knows.


Thats what I thought, I just happened to check my status after seeing a missed called from a 215 number and it updated to todays date. False alarm everybody.

jpal13
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jpal13 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:04 pm

EMZE wrote:
captainwasabi09 wrote:Curious... I applied relatively recently (think late December) but there are some updates that I would like to inform Penn and other law schools of. First, I was promoted from Senior Editor to Graduate Editing Director on the journal I work with, and I have new grades that sadly have not been posted on LSAC yet even though they were sent in two weeks ago. Should I still write Penn about this so they're aware I'll have new grades rolling in, and a new journal position?

Thanks guys


I think the general rule of thumb is:

Don't<--No<-- Does it make you a more compelling applicant for admission? --> yes-->send it

Write a brief letter explaining that these developments are new and that you wish for them to also be considered within your file. Because you applied so recently, I probably wouldn't include anything about how much you want Penn other than a one liner at the end saying something to the effect of "I hope these additions are helpful during you consideration of my file and I would be honored to join the class of 2015."


edit: not writing letter
Last edited by jpal13 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Champion
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:13 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Champion » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:09 pm

I feel left behind for being a 10/25 submit, with two updates 12/21 & 1/10, and not having heard any sort of decision with the big batch that came out this past friday. Maybe they just needed more time? I really wish they would have said something though.

anewaphorist
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:13 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby anewaphorist » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:10 pm

Withdrawn. Good luck to all those riding out the rest of Penn's cycle!

User avatar
Campagnolo
Posts: 906
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Campagnolo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:25 pm

jpal13 wrote:I think this is a good general rule, but I am in a quandry. Penn is my number 1 and I am a solid waitlist material. My partner works in the Philly area, it's a big deal for me to go to Penn. I am 171 and just below that magical 3.8 that Penn likes.
I would like to write a letter saying "hey I think its hard to tell how enthusiastic a candidate is sometimes, I want you and if accepted I commit to withdraw all my other apps." I want to avoid the inevitable waitlist before it hits. Worst case scenario do you really think they will waitlist me for being too enthusiastic?
I submitted late Oct and went UR 12/19, I did not update today.


I refuse to believe in the existence of such a thing, despite all empirical evidence to the contrary.

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby KevinP » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:28 pm

jpal13 wrote:I think this is a good general rule, but I am in a quandry. Penn is my number 1 and I am a solid waitlist material. My partner works in the Philly area, it's a big deal for me to go to Penn. I am 171 and just below that magical 3.8 that Penn likes.
I would like to write a letter saying "hey I think its hard to tell how enthusiastic a candidate is sometimes, I want you and if accepted I commit to withdraw all my other apps." I want to avoid the inevitable waitlist before it hits. Worst case scenario do you really think they will waitlist me for being too enthusiastic?
I submitted late Oct and went UR 12/19, I did not update today.

I'm wondering how much weight a statement such as "if accepted, I'll go" carries. I doubt it'll carry anything close to the weight ED carries, but I do hope they'll take such a statement seriously.

jpal13
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jpal13 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:31 pm

KevinP wrote:
jpal13 wrote:I think this is a good general rule, but I am in a quandry. Penn is my number 1 and I am a solid waitlist material. My partner works in the Philly area, it's a big deal for me to go to Penn. I am 171 and just below that magical 3.8 that Penn likes.
I would like to write a letter saying "hey I think its hard to tell how enthusiastic a candidate is sometimes, I want you and if accepted I commit to withdraw all my other apps." I want to avoid the inevitable waitlist before it hits. Worst case scenario do you really think they will waitlist me for being too enthusiastic?
I submitted late Oct and went UR 12/19, I did not update today.

I'm wondering how much weight a statement such as "if accepted, I'll go" carries. I doubt it'll carry anything close to the weight ED carries, but I do hope they'll take such a statement seriously.


They are probably going to say, "Hey then you should have ED'ed." And in truth, I should have ED'ed. I did write a Why Penn and the piece of art/literature that most influenced my decision to study law.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”