Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
American_in_China
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:19 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby American_in_China » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:46 am

rotaxkarter wrote:
addy11 wrote:
jpal13 wrote:Here is my wild speculation:

It seems like they have split a great many of us in groups: a UR 12/19, a UR 12/22 batch and a UR 1/03 batch (that is the second UR batch for many 12/22ers). Perhaps one batch falls in the stronger category and one in a weaker category.

I'm in the UR 12/19 and no second UR date batch, which I think is the weaker batch because maybe we are unofficially "on hold" while they have given 1/03 people the bump to the next level.

I'm a guy though so I'm always splitting everyone into strong and weak categories. And I love to bash myself so I put myself in the weak group. I know many will disagree with this, so let me repeat, this is wild speculation.


Yes. Also, there was a 12/21 batch, which seemed to be the second one for many 12/19ers. Seemed like a likely YP group.


+1, 12/21 as second update, I consider myself as a likely YP.


So 12/19 is a waitlist group then? Weak but not awful candidates, and yield protect candidates? Well that sucks- I'm a 12/19er.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nelson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:50 am

jpal13 wrote:Here is my wild speculation:

It seems like they have split a great many of us in groups: a UR 12/19, a UR 12/22 batch and a UR 1/03 batch (that is the second UR batch for many 12/22ers). Perhaps one batch falls in the stronger category and one in a weaker category.

I'm in the UR 12/19 and no second UR date batch, which I think is the weaker batch because maybe we are unofficially "on hold" while they have given 1/03 people the bump to the next level.

I'm a guy though so I'm always splitting everyone into strong and weak categories. And I love to bash myself so I put myself in the weak group. I know many will disagree with this, so let me repeat,
this is wild speculation.

None of this is supported by the UR date patterns of people who have already gotten decisions. UR dates are unconnected to decision outcomes and are at best loosely tied to when you submitted.

User avatar
crumpledq
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby crumpledq » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:54 am

Adm.Doppleganger wrote:
crumpledq wrote:
jpal13 wrote:Here is my wild speculation:

It seems like they have split a great many of us in groups: a UR 12/19, a UR 12/22 batch and a UR 1/03 batch (that is the second UR batch for many 12/22ers). Perhaps one batch falls in the stronger category and one in a weaker category.

I'm in the UR 12/19 and no second UR date batch, which I think is the weaker batch because maybe we are unofficially "on hold" while they have given 1/03 people the bump to the next level.

I'm a guy though so I'm always splitting everyone into strong and weak categories. And I love to bash myself so I put myself in the weak group. I know many will disagree with this, so let me repeat, this is wild speculation.


To contribute to the wild speculation, I'll add that your theory is supported by the fact that I have a 12/19 update with no 1/3 update, and I'd consider myself a weak candidate. Though I'm more of a weird candidate than traditionally weak one.


I also am 12/19 with no 1/3 and if I remember correctly my numbers are very close if not identical to yours...


But also, just to give us some hope, I don't think WL and acceptances are always so easy to glean from status updates. Especially this cycle.


In case it's helpful to other 12/19ers, my numbers are LSAT>178 (taken once) and GPA <3.1 (medical addendum; had 3.9x GPA my last two years with several awards/honors). I'm also a Penn alum. And now I've probably outed myself to any lurking adcom staff :) I love you, Penn!

User avatar
crumpledq
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby crumpledq » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:56 am

Nelson wrote:
jpal13 wrote:Here is my wild speculation:

It seems like they have split a great many of us in groups: a UR 12/19, a UR 12/22 batch and a UR 1/03 batch (that is the second UR batch for many 12/22ers). Perhaps one batch falls in the stronger category and one in a weaker category.

I'm in the UR 12/19 and no second UR date batch, which I think is the weaker batch because maybe we are unofficially "on hold" while they have given 1/03 people the bump to the next level.

I'm a guy though so I'm always splitting everyone into strong and weak categories. And I love to bash myself so I put myself in the weak group. I know many will disagree with this, so let me repeat,
this is wild speculation.

None of this is supported by the UR date patterns of people who have already gotten decisions. UR dates are unconnected to decision outcomes and are at best loosely tied to when you submitted.


Nelson, buddy, way to spoil the wild speculation party with real facts and actual experience ;)

quaker10
Posts: 205
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:24 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby quaker10 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:57 am

crumpledq wrote:
Adm.Doppleganger wrote:
crumpledq wrote:
jpal13 wrote:Here is my wild speculation:

It seems like they have split a great many of us in groups: a UR 12/19, a UR 12/22 batch and a UR 1/03 batch (that is the second UR batch for many 12/22ers). Perhaps one batch falls in the stronger category and one in a weaker category.

I'm in the UR 12/19 and no second UR date batch, which I think is the weaker batch because maybe we are unofficially "on hold" while they have given 1/03 people the bump to the next level.

I'm a guy though so I'm always splitting everyone into strong and weak categories. And I love to bash myself so I put myself in the weak group. I know many will disagree with this, so let me repeat, this is wild speculation.


To contribute to the wild speculation, I'll add that your theory is supported by the fact that I have a 12/19 update with no 1/3 update, and I'd consider myself a weak candidate. Though I'm more of a weird candidate than traditionally weak one.


I also am 12/19 with no 1/3 and if I remember correctly my numbers are very close if not identical to yours...


But also, just to give us some hope, I don't think WL and acceptances are always so easy to glean from status updates. Especially this cycle.


In case it's helpful to other 12/19ers, my numbers are LSAT>178 (taken once) and GPA <3.1 (medical addendum; had 3.9x GPA my last two years with several awards/honors). I'm also a Penn alum. And now I've probably outed myself to any lurking adcom staff :) I love you, Penn!


Way to be :)

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nelson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:08 pm

crumpledq wrote:
Nelson wrote:None of this is supported by the UR date patterns of people who have already gotten decisions. UR dates are unconnected to decision outcomes and are at best loosely tied to when you submitted.


Nelson, buddy, way to spoil the wild speculation party with real facts and actual experience ;)


:) Just trying to keep everyone relaxed. No one should worry yet. Just like previous years, Penn only released a small number of RD decisions before January and almost everyone who heard back was a September submit. While many people have had two UR dates, people with all kinds of numbers have gotten in with just one so it would be tough to read much into them.

ETA: If Penn adcomms are lurking, I'm sure they know by now that you have an NYU acceptance so they're getting ready to send your acceptance to keep you from becoming an evil New Yorker. :D
Last edited by Nelson on Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jpal13
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jpal13 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:27 pm

Nelson wrote:
crumpledq wrote:
Nelson wrote:None of this is supported by the UR date patterns of people who have already gotten decisions. UR dates are unconnected to decision outcomes and are at best loosely tied to when you submitted.


Nelson, buddy, way to spoil the wild speculation party with real facts and actual experience ;)


:) Just trying to keep everyone relaxed. No one should worry yet. Just like previous years, Penn only released a small number of RD decisions before January and almost everyone who heard back was a September submit. While many people have had two UR dates, people with all kinds of numbers have gotten in with just one so it would be tough to read much into them.

ETA: If Penn adcomms are lurking, I'm sure they know by now that you have an NYU acceptance so they're getting ready to send you acceptance to keep yoUu from becoming an evil New Yorker. :D


In my head I know my theory is ridiculous. But like I said I'm your typical male, I need to categorize. I actually smudged my numbers in earlier posts, I'm a 171, 3.6ish, so I'm worried. Very worried. I should have ED with a number closer to 3.5 than 3.8.

User avatar
erikjc
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:49 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby erikjc » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:17 pm

jpal13 wrote:But like I said I'm your typical male, I need to categorize.


And as you say that, you categorize yourself. But actually, I don't see the association.

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby moneybagsphd » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Went complete today. Now the wait begins. :|

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby EMZE » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:37 pm

jpal13 wrote:
Nelson wrote:
crumpledq wrote:
Nelson wrote:None of this is supported by the UR date patterns of people who have already gotten decisions. UR dates are unconnected to decision outcomes and are at best loosely tied to when you submitted.


Nelson, buddy, way to spoil the wild speculation party with real facts and actual experience ;)


:) Just trying to keep everyone relaxed. No one should worry yet. Just like previous years, Penn only released a small number of RD decisions before January and almost everyone who heard back was a September submit. While many people have had two UR dates, people with all kinds of numbers have gotten in with just one so it would be tough to read much into them.

ETA: If Penn adcomms are lurking, I'm sure they know by now that you have an NYU acceptance so they're getting ready to send you acceptance to keep yoUu from becoming an evil New Yorker. :D


In my head I know my theory is ridiculous. But like I said I'm your typical male, I need to categorize. I actually smudged my numbers in earlier posts, I'm a 171, 3.6ish, so I'm worried. Very worried. I should have ED with a number closer to 3.5 than 3.8.



So wait. Let me make sure I understand this situation and the logic put forth perfectly. I am currently at UR 12/21, I submitted 10/31, am I believe I had an UR some time in November. LSP gives me a weak consider, my softs are strong, and a huge crow just landed on my mailbox. This means I am a wait list?

User avatar
Take Two
Posts: 552
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:30 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Take Two » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:49 pm

EMZE wrote:So wait. Let me make sure I understand this situation and the logic put forth perfectly. I am currently at UR 12/21, I submitted 10/31, am I believe I had an UR some time in November. LSP gives me a weak consider, my softs are strong, and a huge crow just landed on my mailbox. This means I am a wait list?


Haha this is gold! :D

jpal13
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jpal13 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:51 pm

Take Two wrote:
EMZE wrote:So wait. Let me make sure I understand this situation and the logic put forth perfectly. I am currently at UR 12/21, I submitted 10/31, am I believe I had an UR some time in November. LSP gives me a weak consider, my softs are strong, and a huge crow just landed on my mailbox. This means I am a wait list?


Haha this is gold! :D


Exactly.

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby EMZE » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:11 pm

jpal13 wrote:
Take Two wrote:
EMZE wrote:So wait. Let me make sure I understand this situation and the logic put forth perfectly. I am currently at UR 12/21, I submitted 10/31, am I believe I had an UR some time in November. LSP gives me a weak consider, my softs are strong, and a huge crow just landed on my mailbox. This means I am a wait list?


Haha this is gold! :D


Exactly.


No. Seriously. "this is gold" and "exactly" as in its a wait list..?

I want to start compiling recommendations for future law school applicants on their cycles, and I think one would honestly be not to even bother with their status checkers. They are not nearly the crystal balls we all once hoped.

jpal13
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jpal13 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:23 pm

EMZE wrote:
jpal13 wrote:
Take Two wrote:
EMZE wrote:So wait. Let me make sure I understand this situation and the logic put forth perfectly. I am currently at UR 12/21, I submitted 10/31, am I believe I had an UR some time in November. LSP gives me a weak consider, my softs are strong, and a huge crow just landed on my mailbox. This means I am a wait list?


Haha this is gold! :D


Exactly.


No. Seriously. "this is gold" and "exactly" as in its a wait list..?

I want to start compiling recommendations for future law school applicants on their cycles, and I think one would honestly be not to even bother with their status checkers. They are not nearly the crystal balls we all once hoped.



Exactly as in, yes I agree it's all ridiculous spec, it's just hard to resist indulging in it. But it is completely ridiculous. My status checker for Chicago changed on Xmas, Can't tell a lot from status checker after that.

User avatar
Take Two
Posts: 552
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:30 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Take Two » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:37 pm

yeah I agree. I thought you were trying to be funny. sorry.

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby EMZE » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:04 pm

no it was an attempt at humor. No crow landed on my mailbox. In fact, I don't have a mailbox

User avatar
so_fetch
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:37 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby so_fetch » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:16 pm

Aqualung wrote:Just went under review 1/03. I believe this is my first update since 11/10 complete. However, I'm not positive.

FWIW I was complete right around your date and then UR for first time week before christmas and then 2nd time 1/03. So as you alluded to, it's possible that you did have a first UR date that you missed. Or not. Who really knows with these status checkers :?

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:49 pm

How many are still at 12/21 again? I forgot who my cohorts were :-)

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:50 pm

^^ And I'm too lazy to go back in the thread

User avatar
crumpledq
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby crumpledq » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:50 pm

msblaw89 wrote:How many are still at 12/21 again? I forgot who my cohorts were :-)


I'm still at 12/19.

addy11
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby addy11 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:55 pm

msblaw89 wrote:How many are still at 12/21 again? I forgot who my cohorts were :-)


Me

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:57 pm

Also, speculation here... but I am wondering if the dates coincide more so with which adcomm is reading the apps as opposed to ding, WL, admit. Maybe that is why some people who had 12/22 dates also had 1/3 dates because their adcomm was really fast? I dunno just a thought

addy11
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby addy11 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:02 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Also, speculation here... but I am wondering if the dates coincide more so with which adcomm is reading the apps as opposed to ding, WL, admit. Maybe that is why some people who had 12/22 dates also had 1/3 dates because their adcomm was really fast? I dunno just a thought


Yeah. It's screwy. There are too many dates (12/19, 12/21, 12/22, 1/3... perhaps others?) and seemingly far too many permutations (some people went 2nd review on 12/19, others 1st review; some 12/19ers had another update on 12/21, others didn't, etc.) for the cadences to indicate WL, Accept, Ding (like with Cornell).

Also, you (msblaw89) and I have had very different cycles and have very different numbers. It seems that if we do end up with the same fate (whether that be accept, WL, deny), it will be for different reasons.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:04 pm

addy11 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Also, speculation here... but I am wondering if the dates coincide more so with which adcomm is reading the apps as opposed to ding, WL, admit. Maybe that is why some people who had 12/22 dates also had 1/3 dates because their adcomm was really fast? I dunno just a thought


Yeah. It's screwy. There are too many dates (12/19, 12/21, 12/22, 1/3... perhaps others?) and seemingly far too many permutations (some people went 2nd review on 12/19, others 1st review; some 12/19ers had another update on 12/21, others didn't, etc.) for the cadences to indicate WL, Accept, Ding (like with Cornell).

Also, you (msblaw89) and I have had very different cycles and have very different numbers. It seems that if we do end up with the same fate (whether that be accept, WL, deny), it will be for different reasons.

Agree 100%.. are you 170, >3.7?

jpal13
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jpal13 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:13 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Also, speculation here... but I am wondering if the dates coincide more so with which adcomm is reading the apps as opposed to ding, WL, admit. Maybe that is why some people who had 12/22 dates also had 1/3 dates because their adcomm was really fast? I dunno just a thought


This was my second theory and way more plausible. Penn is my 1st choice but I need to stop obsessing and let what will be come to be.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, ericb1228, JazzyMac, Mia93, PDX4343, Snowjon, ThorB and 15 guests