Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lawbro

Bronze

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by Lawbro » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Lets go upenn, we demand some more answers today

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:45 pm

At the risk of sounding whiney, I'm just a tiny bit worried about this WL, or rather about what it bodes for H and S. I fully expected Penn to waitlist me without a Why Penn essay or any indicated specific interest, but looking at the other waitlisted people, a lot of the have numbers that are a little low for Penn to begin with. I expected a "we know you won't attend" kind of waitlist, but now I'm starting to think it's just a "you're not quite good enough" waitlist. :/

Lawbro

Bronze

Post by Lawbro » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:48 pm

hypothalamus wrote:At the risk of sounding whiney, I'm just a tiny bit worried about this WL, or rather about what it bodes for H and S. I fully expected Penn to waitlist me without a Why Penn essay or any indicated specific interest, but looking at the other waitlisted people, a lot of the have numbers that are a little low for Penn to begin with. I expected a "we know you won't attend" kind of waitlist, but now I'm starting to think it's just a "you're not quite good enough" waitlist. :/
what are your numbers?

adam1

Bronze

Post by adam1 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:50 pm

hypothalamus wrote:At the risk of sounding whiney, I'm just a tiny bit worried about this WL, or rather about what it bodes for H and S. I fully expected Penn to waitlist me without a Why Penn essay or any indicated specific interest, but looking at the other waitlisted people, a lot of the have numbers that are a little low for Penn to begin with. I expected a "we know you won't attend" kind of waitlist, but now I'm starting to think it's just a "you're not quite good enough" waitlist. :/
If you're serious about H and S, it's YP. That is all.

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:53 pm

Lawbro wrote:
what are your numbers?
173, 3.7 (HYP)
So I don't have numbers that demand YP, but CLS and NYU did accept me...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawbro

Bronze

Post by Lawbro » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:58 pm

hypothalamus wrote:
Lawbro wrote:
what are your numbers?
173, 3.7 (HYP)
I would be very excited about that, I wish I got into CLS or NYU

astaris

New

Post by astaris » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:16 pm

hypothalamus wrote:
Lawbro wrote:
what are your numbers?
173, 3.7 (HYP)
Those are almost my exact stats (I was also admitted to CLS and NYU), and I was accepted yesterday without a Why Penn essay, so who knows? I wouldn't worry too much about it.

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:18 pm

astaris wrote: Those are almost my exact stats (I was also admitted to CLS and NYU), and I was accepted yesterday without a Why Penn essay, so who knows? I wouldn't worry too much about it.
That's just what worries me - your app was cool enough for them to overlook the lack of Why Penn essay. Mine wasn't. :D And they didn't even have to think very hard about my app, because I only had my first UCR 1/27 and they already got back to me, whereas other people have been waiting for muuuuch longer.

astaris

New

Post by astaris » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:22 pm

Yeah, Penn was reallllllllllly slow with mine. I think my second UR was around that time (I had submitted back in November).
But as far as being numbers twins and me getting in while you were waitlisted, I was waitlisted at Chicago and Georgetown, so I think waitlisting is sort of a weird, arbitrary thing anyway. And of course, HYS is even weirder and arbitrary-er. Sigh.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:23 pm

hypothalamus wrote:
astaris wrote: Those are almost my exact stats (I was also admitted to CLS and NYU), and I was accepted yesterday without a Why Penn essay, so who knows? I wouldn't worry too much about it.
That's just what worries me - your app was cool enough for them to overlook the lack of Why Penn essay. Mine wasn't. :D And they didn't even have to think very hard about my app, because I only had my first UCR 1/27 and they already got back to me, whereas other people have been waiting for muuuuch longer.
Did you write a Why Penn or not? If you didn't, why are you so concerned?

Edit: because that sounded kind of jerk-ish. What I'm getting at is that not everyone with NYU/Columbia numbers gets WLd at Penn, even without a Why Penn, but the chances increase. So if you didn't write one, then your chances for getting WLd for whatever reason increase. Anything they don't like about your app is magnified by you not showing interest.

Lawbro

Bronze

Post by Lawbro » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:36 pm

Is it too late to write a why penn?

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:40 pm

Nelson wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:
Did you write a Why Penn or not? If you didn't, why are you so concerned?

Edit: because that sounded kind of jerk-ish. What I'm getting at is that not everyone with NYU/Columbia numbers gets WLd at Penn, even without a Why Penn, but the chances increase. So if you didn't write one, then your chances for getting WLd for whatever reason increase. Anything they don't like about your app is magnified by you not showing interest.
Haha no, I know that. I was going to write a Why Penn, but then I got some acceptances elsewhere and couldn't muster the motivation. I guess my concern is that I wasn't an awesome enough applicant for them to ignore the lack of clear interest, which they do for other people. This is a concern in relation to the schools I have yet to hear from, for which my numbers are straight up pathetic. :D

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:49 pm

hypothalamus wrote:Haha no, I know that. I was going to write a Why Penn, but then I got some acceptances elsewhere and couldn't muster the motivation. I guess my concern is that I wasn't an awesome enough applicant for them to ignore the lack of clear interest, which they do for other people. This is a concern in relation to the schools I have yet to hear from, for which my numbers are straight up pathetic. :D
Who knows what adcomms look at in people's apps to differentiate between people with the same numbers? I think at some point it's a total crapshoot school to school. You have some great acceptances so clearly your app is fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

astaris

New

Post by astaris » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:01 pm

Nelson wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:Haha no, I know that. I was going to write a Why Penn, but then I got some acceptances elsewhere and couldn't muster the motivation. I guess my concern is that I wasn't an awesome enough applicant for them to ignore the lack of clear interest, which they do for other people. This is a concern in relation to the schools I have yet to hear from, for which my numbers are straight up pathetic. :D
Who knows what adcomms look at in people's apps to differentiate between people with the same numbers? I think at some point it's a total crapshoot school to school. You have some great acceptances so clearly your app is fine.
This. There's obviously gotta be tens/maybe hundreds? of people with same/similar numbers. Some schools like something about you, others don't. C'est la vie. I just think: if they didn't like the softs on my app, I probably wouldn't like them. So nyah! :D

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:23 pm

astaris wrote:
Nelson wrote:
This. There's obviously gotta be tens/maybe hundreds? of people with same/similar numbers. Some schools like something about you, others don't. C'est la vie. I just think: if they didn't like the softs on my app, I probably wouldn't like them. So nyah! :D
I like your style 8)

Lawbro

Bronze

Post by Lawbro » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:35 pm

At the risk of annoying people, ill ask again. Can one still write a "why UPenn" and send it via email, or is this something that should have been sent in at the time of the application. This school has now become my top choice and I would like the express this as best as possible to the admissions committee

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:38 pm

Lawbro wrote:At the risk of annoying people, ill ask again. Can one still write a "why UPenn" and send it via email, or is this something that should have been sent in at the time of the application. This school has now become my top choice and I would like the express this as best as possible to the admissions committee
You can still send one.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:38 pm

Lawbro wrote:At the risk of annoying people, ill ask again. Can one still write a "why UPenn" and send it via email, or is this something that should have been sent in at the time of the application. This school has now become my top choice and I would like the express this as best as possible to the admissions committee
Send it now bro.

SpottyCoverage

New

Post by SpottyCoverage » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:40 pm

Give 'em a call. See if they'll accept it. If (when) they tell you yes send it in.

Lawbro

Bronze

Post by Lawbro » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:42 pm

Thanks guys :D

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:43 pm

So when does Penn send out scholarship info? So far they've been useless as a leverage token.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:48 pm

Bronck wrote:So when does Penn send out scholarship info? So far they've been useless as a leverage token.
March.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:50 pm

Cool, thanks.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:52 pm

Bronck wrote:Cool, thanks.
I wouldn't count on getting much. Unless you were offered one of the named awards, 15-20k per year seems to be the max. I'm guessing you're leveraging NYU/Columbia and I'd expect to probably get similar offers from all 3 with your numbers.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:07 pm

Nelson wrote:
Bronck wrote:Cool, thanks.
I wouldn't count on getting much. Unless you were offered one of the named awards, 15-20k per year seems to be the max. I'm guessing you're leveraging NYU/Columbia and I'd expect to probably get similar offers from all 3 with your numbers.
Oh really? Thanks for the heads up. I was actually a bit surprised I didn't get invited to any of the named awards.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”