Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
iamrobk

Bronze

Re: Penn c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by iamrobk » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:35 am

Samara wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
Samara wrote:Applied awhile ago, but forgot to check in. :oops: Penn is one of my spaghetti schools, so it's unlikely that I'll be enrolling with any of you, but I'm still excited to see how my cycle turns out. There's a lot to like about Penn; are there any Penn trolls (the good kind) in here? Penn seems like it gets forgotten in the T14 because it doesn't have a niche.
Spaghetti? LOL Please explain
Haha, I was JUST about to ask this!
It's when you're a splitter and apply to a bunch of reach schools in the hopes that one "sticks" and you get accepted. Large splitter cycles (like mine) can be hard to predict, so it's often advised that you apply MVPNCG with the idea that you should get at least one of them and be T14 secure. Derived from the expression "throw spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks." (Does anyone actually do that?)
Haha I have never heard that term before but I thought that's what it meant. Makes sense anyway. Pretty much the strategy I used too (I applied to every T14 except HYS and Cornell), though Penn has always been my favorite.

Also, if they start making calls at 11:30 like they did on Friday, only about another hour to go!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:46 am

iamrobk wrote:Haha I have never heard that term before but I thought that's what it meant. Makes sense anyway. Pretty much the strategy I used too (I applied to every T14 except HYS and Cornell), though Penn has always been my favorite.

Also, if they start making calls at 11:30 like they did on Friday, only about another hour to go!
Yeah, I see spaghetti schools as schools you'd be happy to go to, but wouldn't be too bummed if you didn't get it. For most splitters with WE, Northwestern is probably just another spaghetti school, but for me, because of my personal situation, it's my "dream school." Penn seems like a great place though!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:46 am

Good luck again today EDers! I think you guys still have a couple more days of decisions coming before the rest of us start to hear anything.

grimfan

New

Post by grimfan » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:46 am

Samara wrote:Penn seems like it gets forgotten in the T14 because it doesn't have a niche.
I remember when I was first looking at law schools, Penn kind of got lost in the shuffle as well. I was mainly looking at NYU vs Michigan/Virginia as my top choices, mainly in a city vs college town dichotomy. But then I did more research into the schools, and it seemed like Penn combined the best of both worlds as a school with both a campus life and access to a big city. Plus, you know, the academics are kind of great as well. :wink:

Philly just needs an image makeover. Most people think of fatty foods and sociopathic sports fans when they think of Philly. Set a couple of cute rom-coms in Philly and watch the applications just flood in! :P

maxpower430

Bronze

Post by maxpower430 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:47 am

Anyone else having problems accessing Penn's website? I know I'm probably still just "complete" but it is infringing on my neurotic status checking haha

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

law2015

Bronze

Post by law2015 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:52 am

maxpower430 wrote:Anyone else having problems accessing Penn's website? I know I'm probably still just "complete" but it is infringing on my neurotic status checking haha
I also cannot access it, have been trying all morning lol. Hopefully they are updating our statuses.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:52 am

law2015 wrote:
maxpower430 wrote:Anyone else having problems accessing Penn's website? I know I'm probably still just "complete" but it is infringing on my neurotic status checking haha
I also cannot access it, have been trying all morning lol. Hopefully they are updating our statuses.
I just accessed it. No change here. Complete early Oct.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:53 am

Samara wrote:Penn seems like it gets forgotten in the T14 because it doesn't have a niche.
I think it's also because of the smaller class size. Penn is half the size of its peers (Michigan or UVA). Same effect is part of why Chicago gets less love than NYU and Columbia. Smallers classes mean fewer people on the boards attend, which means less excitement compared to the bigger schools.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:54 am

Bleh...RD still complete at 11/04

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:56 am

Nelson wrote:
I think it's also because of the smaller class size. Penn is half the size of its peers (Michigan or UVA). Same effect is part of why Chicago gets less love than NYU and Columbia. Smallers classes mean fewer people on the boards attend, which means less excitement compared to the bigger schools.
Hmmm...that makes sense. I always chalked up the Chicago hate to pro-NYC bias.

iamrobk

Bronze

Post by iamrobk » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:57 am

Nelson wrote:
I think that has more to do with Columbia and NYU being in NYC. Not trying to knock Chicago (the city or school), but it's just the way it is. I think Penn has a bit of the same problem, being in Philly.

And FWIW the website is working the same as ever for me, no changes.

curiousgeorgia

Bronze

Post by curiousgeorgia » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:59 am

grimfan wrote: Philly just needs an image makeover. Most people think of fatty foods and sociopathic sports fans when they think of Philly. Set a couple of cute rom-coms in Philly and watch the applications just flood in! :P
Haha I am from the area so I love this assessment. However, if anyone here is hesitant to choose Penn just because of its location, PM me and I will enlighten you about the glories of Philadelphia. Yes, there are greasy cheesesteaks, but there is so much more to the culture than that.

And as for the sports fan thing, I can see you hating the sociopathic fans if you're, lets say, a Mets or a Cowboys fan...but when you're on the same side as all the crazies, it just makes it that much more fun :)

iamrobk

Bronze

Post by iamrobk » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:02 pm

curiousgeorgia wrote:
grimfan wrote: Philly just needs an image makeover. Most people think of fatty foods and sociopathic sports fans when they think of Philly. Set a couple of cute rom-coms in Philly and watch the applications just flood in! :P
Haha I am from the area so I love this assessment. However, if anyone here is hesitant to choose Penn just because of its location, PM me and I will enlighten you about the glories of Philadelphia. Yes, there are greasy cheesesteaks, but there is so much more to the culture than that.

And as for the sports fan thing, I can see you hating the sociopathic fans if you're, lets say, a Mets or a Cowboys fan...but when you're on the same side as all the crazies, it just makes it that much more fun :)
Hey now, even if cheesesteaks were all that Philly had it'd still be enough. I'm not sure I could ever move that far from Philly just because I'd miss them too much. :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:02 pm

iamrobk wrote:
Nelson wrote:
I think that has more to do with Columbia and NYU being in NYC. Not trying to knock Chicago (the city or school), but it's just the way it is. I think Penn has a bit of the same problem, being in Philly.

And FWIW the website is working the same as ever for me, no changes.
You're probably right about CCN (though I personally would rather be in Chi than NYC because of cost of living). But for MVP, I would think that Philly would win hands down over Ann Arbor or Charlottesville (though I'm from here, so probably biased).

And Penn's whole website is down for me, not just the tracker.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:04 pm

Eh, depends on what you like. I've heard Ann Arbor is idyllic whereas certain parts of Philly are...dangerous. Also because of the strength of the Penn business school, the University is likely to devote more resources to them, depriving the law school. On the other hand, Michigan has a strong law school that's sort of the jewel of the university, so probably more effort is taken to maintain it.

Just my wild guesses. I'm probably wrong :P

curiousgeorgia

Bronze

Post by curiousgeorgia » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:12 pm

iamrobk wrote: Hey now, even if cheesesteaks were all that Philly had it'd still be enough. I'm not sure I could ever move that far from Philly just because I'd miss them too much. :lol:
One word: Wawa.

Ugh Penn please accept me now so I never have to go more than a day without feasting on a delicious hoagie from God's gift to convenience store-goers.

And Curious1 - as far as safety concerns go, Penn has amazing security. Sure, parts of Philly can be rough, but the campus itself is safer than most I have been to. Just don't venture too far West past campus, and you'll be fine.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:15 pm

curiousgeorgia wrote:
iamrobk wrote: Hey now, even if cheesesteaks were all that Philly had it'd still be enough. I'm not sure I could ever move that far from Philly just because I'd miss them too much. :lol:

Ugh Penn please accept me now so I never have to go more than a day without feasting on a delicious hoagie from God's gift to convenience store-goers.

And Curious1 - as far as safety concerns go, Penn has amazing security. Sure, parts of Philly can be rough, but the campus itself is safer than most I have been to. Just don't venture too far West past campus, and you'll be fine.
Oh I'm sure UPenn is super safe. I was just in Philly two weeks ago though--stayed...near Chestnut and 17th, and it was super nice. Also had one of the best meals of my life at Amada.

Now please accept me Penn :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thatkid

Bronze

Post by thatkid » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:16 pm

curiousgeorgia wrote:

Oh goodness. I have missed Wawa terribly over the last 3.5 years. Penn's pro list keeps getting longer. Also, in terms of safety, is it really any worse than Columbia's proximity to Harlem/ Wash. Heights?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:17 pm

Curious1 wrote:Eh, depends on what you like. I've heard Ann Arbor is idyllic whereas certain parts of Philly are...dangerous. Also because of the strength of the Penn business school, the University is likely to devote more resources to them, depriving the law school. On the other hand, Michigan has a strong law school that's sort of the jewel of the university, so probably more effort is taken to maintain it.

Just my wild guesses. I'm probably wrong :P
Yeah, it really depends on what you like. If you like college towns, you can't go wrong with Ann Arbor and probably aren't going to like Philly. If you like big cities though, you probably wouldn't like Ann Arbor.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:18 pm

thatkid wrote: Oh goodness. I have missed Wawa terribly over the last 3.5 years. Penn's pro list keeps getting longer. Also, in terms of safety, is it really any worse than Columbia's proximity to Harlem/ Wash. Heights?
Hey don't jump down my throat! :( Personally, I'm not sure if I'd prefer a big city atmosphere like Penn of NYU or Columbia, versus a more peaceful setting like Ann Arbor or Berkeley or Palo Alto. I was just pointing out the differences.

thatkid

Bronze

Post by thatkid » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:24 pm

Curious1 wrote:
thatkid wrote: Oh goodness. I have missed Wawa terribly over the last 3.5 years. Penn's pro list keeps getting longer. Also, in terms of safety, is it really any worse than Columbia's proximity to Harlem/ Wash. Heights?
Hey don't jump down my throat! :( Personally, I'm not sure if I'd prefer a big city atmosphere like Penn of NYU or Columbia, versus a more peaceful setting like Ann Arbor or Berkeley or Palo Alto. I was just pointing out the differences.
I wasn't attempting to jump down your throat- I was being optimistic. I haven't visited Penn, but I've visited Columbia twice and decided that the surrounding areas don't scare me enough to keep me away. I'm hoping the same is true of Penn, as I definitely want to be in a big city.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:25 pm

Samara wrote:
iamrobk wrote:Haha I have never heard that term before but I thought that's what it meant. Makes sense anyway. Pretty much the strategy I used too (I applied to every T14 except HYS and Cornell), though Penn has always been my favorite.

Yeah, I see spaghetti schools as schools you'd be happy to go to, but wouldn't be too bummed if you didn't get it. For most splitters with WE, Northwestern is probably just another spaghetti school, but for me, because of my personal situation, it's my "dream school." Penn seems like a great place though!
It totally makes sense now. And I know people used to throw spaghetti at the wall to make sure it was done. I don't know of anyone doing that now. If I did, my s/o would probably have a bitchfit.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:25 pm

Curious1 wrote:
It all comes down to preference really. I think you're probably headed to beautiful Cambridge, MA, though, which is probably a decent balance of big city vs. college town.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:27 pm

Nelson wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
It all comes down to preference really. I think you're probably headed to beautiful Cambridge, MA, though, which is probably a decent balance of big city vs. college town.
<3 <3 <3 You've just given me the energy I needed to go prep for my KB1 instead of sitting around :P

sandwiches5000

Bronze

Post by sandwiches5000 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:29 pm

thatkid wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
I wasn't attempting to jump down your throat- I was being optimistic. I haven't visited Penn, but I've visited Columbia twice and decided that the surrounding areas don't scare me enough to keep me away. I'm hoping the same is true of Penn, as I definitely want to be in a big city.
I've been to both and I felt just as safe, if not safer at Penn.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”