Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
vincanity1

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby vincanity1 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:14 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:3.86/173 with no grade request yet either.

edit: and yeah, sending grades costs me like 10-15 bucks. so ridiculous.

Glad to hear you're in the same boat, Hawkeye.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:21 am

vincanity1 wrote:

Yeah, it's good to see somebody I know in the same boat.

My understanding was that fall grade requests were pretty random last year, but then I read 7ED's post, and now I'm not sure.

AmandaPB

Postby AmandaPB » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:25 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:

My understanding was that fall grade requests were pretty random last year, but then I read 7ED's post, and now I'm not sure.

No grade request either. FRIENDS.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:32 am

AmandaPB wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:

No grade request either. FRIENDS.

They aren't going to grade request you. You have a 4.1...

AmandaPB

Postby AmandaPB » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:45 am

Well jeez.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:58 am

AmandaPB wrote:Well jeez.

Sorry if that came off as harsh, I more just meant no grade request isn't a bad sign when your GPA is already so high. It's not going to drop down far enough for it to be a problem for them and it probably can't go too much higher. They only grade request people where the fall grades might make a difference, unless you are pulling straight C's or something this semester (and even then you would probably have a 3.8-3.9) it most likely won't for you.

Essentially you shouldn't worry too much about getting into CLS. It's most likely going to happen for you.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:00 am

chasgoose wrote:

Sorry if that came off as harsh, I more just meant no grade request isn't a bad sign when your GPA is already so high. It's not going to drop down far enough for it to be a problem for them and it probably can't go too much higher. They only grade request people where the fall grades might make a difference, unless you are pulling straight C's or something this semester (and even then you would probably have a 3.8-3.9) it most likely won't for you.

Essentially you shouldn't worry too much about getting into CLS. It's most likely going to happen for you.

yeah, this is credited. It's probably primarily for those near the median

ScratchableItch

Postby ScratchableItch » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:10 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
chasgoose wrote:

yeah, this is credited. It's probably primarily for those near the median

I'm not so sure about about this, as I'm not near median (4.+) and got a request. I read earlier in this thread that grade requests were a positive sign last year. Not that I know everything about admissions, just what I've read.

tamarind49

Postby tamarind49 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:11 am

Sorry if this question has already been asked, but how are ED decisions notified? E-mail or snail mail? I see here that some ppl got e-mail notifications whereas some by snail mail.. is it e-mail for acceptance/deferral and snail mail for the dings? I'm living abroad and have not heard a word from CLS, and I'm scared that I'm just waiting for snail mail that will take weeks to get here...

AmandaPB

Postby AmandaPB » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:17 am

chasgoose wrote:

No, I was just joking with you. I obviously get the thinking that my GPA won’t change drastically no matter what happens (and it didn’t). I’m really not too worried it just seems interesting, the randomness of it all.

spek

Postby spek » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:40 am

Just thought I'd add that I didn't get a grade request either.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:06 am

Honestly if spek and Amanda didn't get grade requests, I'm ecstatic. Not to be creepin but I know amanda already in like HYS (or was it MERELY HS?' :lol: ) and spek is in some ridiculous institutions too right now. That, combined with the facts that many of you are above the gpa median, and we have another 4.0+er getting a request suggests that it really is just random. I'm obviously no expert, but I'm relatively confident that it is more random or trend based than absolute numbers based. And what I mean is perhaps they are requesting transcripts primarily from those with positivenor negative trends. Don't really feel like speculating on that, but again, just my two cents.

Edit: typos
Last edited by hyakku on Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:24 am

vincanity1 wrote:

I really dont understand why schools must squeeze every cent out of you. Isn't it just printing out a piece of paper on letterhead and mailing it?

AmandaPB

Postby AmandaPB » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:09 am

icedflames wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:

I really dont understand why schools must squeeze every cent out of you. Isn't it just printing out a piece of paper on letterhead and mailing it?

Yeah, my shitty public state university makes me pay like $15 per transcript. I will hate them forever for it.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:23 am

It doesn't really seem like it means anything. My gpa is slightly better than hawkeye's and I got one. They also don't seem to send them out all at the same time, so perhaps some of you will get them later. I got mine a week or so after others mentioned it, and a week or do before some of the more recent.

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:25 am

AmandaPB wrote:
icedflames wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:

Yeah, my shitty public state university makes me pay like $15 per transcript. I will hate them forever for it.

When my school calls and ask for contributions/donations, I laugh and say no thanks

But back on topic, another month until RD decisions start!

foxylaxy

Postby foxylaxy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:51 am

vincanity1 wrote:If they just ask all UG's to send transcript updates, they might as well just not accept UG apps until January. Pretty ridiculous to force everyone to put up an extra few dollars just to be sent to this one school.

If I was an undergrad still, I'd just send it to LSAC - one time fee to send to LSAC and then ask LSAC to send the updated transcript to the school(s) of choice for free. or else, if LSAC won't because you are "complete," you can ask the school to request an updated profile from LSAC. Apparently, LSAC didn't send ANY of my LOR even though one was ready at the time I submitted my NU app, and wouldn't send them unless NU requested so I had to call both.

Unless Columbia explicitly states it wants the transcript directly from the school.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:56 am

foxylaxy wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:If they just ask all UG's to send transcript updates, they might as well just not accept UG apps until January. Pretty ridiculous to force everyone to put up an extra few dollars just to be sent to this one school.

If I was an undergrad still, I'd just send it to LSAC - one time fee to send to LSAC and then ask LSAC to send the updated transcript to the school(s) of choice for free. or else, if LSAC won't because you are "complete," you can ask the school to request an updated profile from LSAC. Apparently, LSAC didn't send ANY of my LOR even though one was ready at the time I submitted my NU app, and wouldn't send them unless NU requested so I had to call both.

Unless Columbia explicitly states it wants the transcript directly from the school.

They do, unfortunately.

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:03 pm

snehpets wrote:It doesn't really seem like it means anything. My gpa is slightly better than hawkeye's and I got one. They also don't seem to send them out all at the same time, so perhaps some of you will get them later. I got mine a week or so after others mentioned it, and a week or do before some of the more recent.

+1

It seems random. There are people from around median all the way up to ~4.0 receiving grade requests. I don't think that it's a bad sign either way IF you have the numbers. I stopped thinking too much into it and figure that at least I'm not an auto-reject.

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Yeah, that really sucks if your school makes you pay for your transcript. Shouldn't that be included in your tuition? Or I guess we have a $1500 "Academic Services Fee" every semester that probably is what's paying for mine.

And during finals when I didn't want to study I went back and read last year's Columbia thread (warning, don't read it in public, there are about 10 pages of lolcats photos) and the grade requests were all over the board for both ED and RD - below GPA median, at median, above median, even 4.0 applicants. It seemed completely random but it did seem like most people who got one eventually got in even if their grades went down. But if you didn't get one it also didn't mean you weren't going to get in.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:12 pm

foxylaxy wrote:

You're not taking into account the possibility of your grades going down and not wanting to report the drop to every school you've applied to.

Also, the fact that SPEK of all people hasn't received a request puts me completely at ease. Currently the MVP of the cycle, I'd say.

Kbarbosa08

Postby Kbarbosa08 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:20 pm

I was thinking about sending them my fall grades even though they havent requested them...any thoughts? I figure if they do eventually want them then I can say its already on the way or if not then w e they have them anyway...I dont want to seem like Im trying to bog them down with unnecessary information tho...so idk if its actually a great idea in practice. lol.

nametaken

Postby nametaken » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:31 pm

Checking in.. stuck on complete date of 12/16. Come on CLS update me!! I have nothing else to fret about since I already graduated and can't worry about grade requests... ahh the anxiety!

foxylaxy

Postby foxylaxy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:02 pm

vincanity1 wrote:
foxylaxy wrote:

You're not taking into account the possibility of your grades going down and not wanting to report the drop to every school you've applied to.

Also, the fact that SPEK of all people hasn't received a request puts me completely at ease. Currently the MVP of the cycle, I'd say.

i did take that into account as i stated "school(s)" of choice, but i realize i wasn't clear-I meant to the specific school/schools you want them vs. all of your applied schools.

I'm not sure sending a transcript to LSAC would auto-send to all your schools. they didn't even want to send something for me when i asked for it. of course, if you are adverse to the above scenario, you could always call LSAC and ask whether or not an update would be sent to all applications.

it was just a suggestion to save $$$ for anyone who needs to send updated transcripts to multiple schools.

as someone noted earlier, that Columbia asked for the updated transcript directly from the UG, so i guess my suggestion is moot :|

username08

Postby username08 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:08 pm

Has any EDer heard back today? I'm assuming (hoping) they'll tell us by next week, lol.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”