Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:53 pm

Wouldn't downsizing their class mean less $$$ -- which would in turn mean they would have to reduce staff sizes, etc? Tuition bills pay for faculty salaries. If the average tuition is $30,000 -- thats $90,000 over the three year period. If your class is 400 strong...that's $36,000,000. A dean who makes the decision to decrease class sizes is making the decision to decrease the amount of money the school makes from any given class. $36,000,000 vs. a slight dip in medians . Not a fair fight, IMO. :D
Last edited by WhiteGuy5 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby piccolittle » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:02 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:If the average tuition is $30,000


QF making me sad

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:08 am

piccolittle wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:If the average tuition is $30,000


QF making me sad


*Not including room and board or any extra fees (meal plans, insurance, etc), plus averaging those with scholarships and those paying sticker, plus me leaning on the conservative side). Is 30k unreasonable?

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelawyler » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:08 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Wouldn't downsizing their class mean less $$$ -- which would in turn mean they would have to reduce staff sizes, etc? Tuition bills pay for faculty salaries. If the average tuition is $30,000 -- thats $90,000 over the three year period. If your class is 400 strong...that's $36,000,000. A dean who makes the decision to decrease class sizes is making the decision to decrease the amount of money the school makes from any given class. $36,000,000 vs. a slight deep in medians . Not a fair fight, IMO. :D


Well, you wouldn't decrease your class size by 400 students. Probably 20 or so.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15525
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:11 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
piccolittle wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:If the average tuition is $30,000


QF making me sad


*Not including room and board or any extra fees (meal plans, insurance, etc), plus averaging those with scholarships and those paying sticker, plus me leaning on the conservative side). Is 30k unreasonable?


It's unreasonable for someone who is already stuck paying sticker. Using "stuck" very loosely here of course.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/piccolittle

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:15 am

thelawyler wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:Wouldn't downsizing their class mean less $$$ -- which would in turn mean they would have to reduce staff sizes, etc? Tuition bills pay for faculty salaries. If the average tuition is $30,000 -- thats $90,000 over the three year period. If your class is 400 strong...that's $36,000,000. A dean who makes the decision to decrease class sizes is making the decision to decrease the amount of money the school makes from any given class. $36,000,000 vs. a slight deep in medians . Not a fair fight, IMO. :D


Well, you wouldn't decrease your class size by 400 students. Probably 20 or so.


True, but would cutting 20 students really allow you to save you a dip in medians? I'm just saying, they've built a school for a 450-strong students (NYU's class size), and they need 450 students to maintain it. Any significant dip in class sizes would probably entail a dip in staff size and a dip in the amount of money they bring in. Twenty students is almost $2 million dollars with the above, conservative estimates.

I'm giving myself hope, stop ruining it :D .

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelawyler » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:40 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
thelawyler wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:Wouldn't downsizing their class mean less $$$ -- which would in turn mean they would have to reduce staff sizes, etc? Tuition bills pay for faculty salaries. If the average tuition is $30,000 -- thats $90,000 over the three year period. If your class is 400 strong...that's $36,000,000. A dean who makes the decision to decrease class sizes is making the decision to decrease the amount of money the school makes from any given class. $36,000,000 vs. a slight deep in medians . Not a fair fight, IMO. :D


Well, you wouldn't decrease your class size by 400 students. Probably 20 or so.


True, but would cutting 20 students really allow you to save you a dip in medians? I'm just saying, they've built a school for a 450-strong students (NYU's class size), and they need 450 students to maintain it. Any significant dip in class sizes would probably entail a dip in staff size and a dip in the amount of money they bring in. Twenty students is almost $2 million dollars with the above, conservative estimates.

I'm giving myself hope, stop ruining it :D .


I would say that 20 students is probably enough to save medians for some schools. Probably not all, but some will be able to. Maybe for a bigger school like NYU, it'd take 30-40. But for a smaller school like Cornell, 20 will probably do.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kwais » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:42 am

I think that downsizing does not have to mean less $. By offering sections of 90 instead of 100, you can attract more of those students who prefer a more intimate setting. I think that's the bet they are making. Yale, UChi, Duke etc. sell the small class thing as much as any other facet of their program.

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby piccolittle » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:29 am

kwais wrote:I think that downsizing does not have to mean less $. By offering sections of 90 instead of 100, you can attract more of those students who prefer a more intimate setting. I think that's the bet they are making. Yale, UChi, Duke etc. sell the small class thing as much as any other facet of their program.


Now all we have to do is have that protest I've been plotting and make them get rid of grades...

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kwais » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:31 am

piccolittle wrote:
kwais wrote:I think that downsizing does not have to mean less $. By offering sections of 90 instead of 100, you can attract more of those students who prefer a more intimate setting. I think that's the bet they are making. Yale, UChi, Duke etc. sell the small class thing as much as any other facet of their program.


Now all we have to do is have that protest I've been plotting and make them get rid of grades...


what I wouldn't give for that right now

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelawyler » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:00 am

kwais wrote:I think that downsizing does not have to mean less $. By offering sections of 90 instead of 100, you can attract more of those students who prefer a more intimate setting. I think that's the bet they are making. Yale, UChi, Duke etc. sell the small class thing as much as any other facet of their program.


It means less money if scholarship aid remains the same because only the selectivity of the school would go up if more students liked the smaller class sizes. If they offered less money but reduced class sizes, you could MAYBE offset the losses and not lose money, but given that other schools might just offer more scholarships in order to maintain medians, the school offering less money might lose out, etc.

It's a game that the admissions people are surely playing right now.

Kbarbosa08
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:12 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Kbarbosa08 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:09 pm

Hey guys great posts! certainly a lot to think about as I have panic attacks every time i get a new email :) lol...anyone think we may see some action this week, or probably have to wait till next week at least?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15525
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:59 pm

Kbarbosa08 wrote:Hey guys great posts! certainly a lot to think about as I have panic attacks every time i get a new email :) lol...anyone think we may see some action this week, or probably have to wait till next week at least?


If you applied RD I'd focus on next month, not next week.

Kbarbosa08
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:12 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Kbarbosa08 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:06 pm

No I applied ED.

Themaddh
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Themaddh » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:10 pm

Please let today be the day

curiouskitty21
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:06 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby curiouskitty21 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:49 pm

Does anyone know why they send out ED acceptances in waves and not all at once?

Nobody
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nobody » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:11 pm

To fuck with us, obviously.

unknownnumbers
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby unknownnumbers » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:14 pm

curiouskitty21 wrote:Does anyone know why they send out ED acceptances in waves and not all at once?


to make us miserable

bluthbanana
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bluthbanana » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:54 pm

how long until we should give up on today?

User avatar
username08
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:10 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby username08 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:59 pm

bluthbanana wrote:how long until we should give up on today?


I'd say 4:30ish.

Themaddh
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Themaddh » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:01 pm

username08 wrote:
bluthbanana wrote:how long until we should give up on today?


I'd say 4:30ish.


Around 5, last year decisions were first released just before 5pm EST.

User avatar
username08
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:10 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby username08 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:52 pm

No email for me today either. Did anyone get in today?

unknownnumbers
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby unknownnumbers » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:03 pm

I didnt... i am freaking out just a bit at this point

Themaddh
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Themaddh » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:04 pm

unknownnumbers wrote:I didnt... i am freaking out just a bit at this point


+1 not because i'm worried about my app, I just want to find out one way or the other

hangqianli
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:44 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby hangqianli » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:07 am

so based on the posts here, are there gonna be some news today?
3 admits on monday, no new on tue, 1 admit in wed, no news on thu, --> some news on fri???
it seems that they re sending out emails every 2 days.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: genjustice, YoungSimba and 8 guests