Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15470
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:40 pm

Moomoo2u wrote:got my app in on 9/3/2011 time to ride that waitlist.


Am I doing it wrong? I've got the app completed but it won't let me send it off. Step 3 is grayed out.

User avatar
Moomoo2u
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Moomoo2u » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:41 pm

yes, press preview app. Then it will let you send it.

They want people to double check it before they send it out.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15470
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:46 pm

Thanks. I had previewed it plenty of times in the other screen but didn't think to do it there. Good call.

No hidden fee waiver for me. Guess I'll wait.

User avatar
kulshan
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kulshan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:18 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Thanks. I had previewed it plenty of times in the other screen but didn't think to do it there. Good call.

No hidden fee waiver for me. Guess I'll wait.


Do we know when to expect hidden waivers?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15470
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:57 pm

kulshan wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Thanks. I had previewed it plenty of times in the other screen but didn't think to do it there. Good call.

No hidden fee waiver for me. Guess I'll wait.


Do we know when to expect hidden waivers?


viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122246&hilit=+columbia

Last year the first hidden waivers showed up on September 13th. In that thread they also mention that emails from Columbia about fee waivers came out on September 17th of 2009, with hidden ones showing up a few days before. So if the last two cycles are any indication, I'd think next week at the earliest.

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby freestallion » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:00 pm

I have a question about the LORs. I saw the following in the CLS instructions:

Columbia requires two letters of recommendation. For applicants currently matriculated in or recently graduated from a degree program, we prefer that both letters of recommendation be submitted by faculty. For applicants currently working on a full-time basis, a letter from an employer or immediate supervisor who most recently supervised your full-time work is required and may replace one of the two faculty letters. In some instances, applicants may find it extremely difficult to obtain one of the required appraisals. If that is the case, applicants must use their best judgment to determine what letters should be submitted to complete their file, with the understanding of how valuable letters of recommendation are to our evaluation of their qualifications for admission.


See bolded - They require one from an employer? I haven't asked my employer because I've been working in a more admin type job and I don't think they'd comment as well as some of my other recommenders on my qualities, etc. I don't know what to do now... Do you think it'll hurt me if I don't submit one from my current employer?

User avatar
Moomoo2u
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Moomoo2u » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:45 pm

freestallion wrote:I have a question about the LORs. I saw the following in the CLS instructions:

Columbia requires two letters of recommendation. For applicants currently matriculated in or recently graduated from a degree program, we prefer that both letters of recommendation be submitted by faculty. For applicants currently working on a full-time basis, a letter from an employer or immediate supervisor who most recently supervised your full-time work is required and may replace one of the two faculty letters. In some instances, applicants may find it extremely difficult to obtain one of the required appraisals. If that is the case, applicants must use their best judgment to determine what letters should be submitted to complete their file, with the understanding of how valuable letters of recommendation are to our evaluation of their qualifications for admission.


See bolded - They require one from an employer? I haven't asked my employer because I've been working in a more admin type job and I don't think they'd comment as well as some of my other recommenders on my qualities, etc. I don't know what to do now... Do you think it'll hurt me if I don't submit one from my current employer?



Not unless you've been out of school for a long time, "In some instances, applicants may find it extremely difficult to obtain one of the required appraisals. If that is the case, applicants must use their best judgment to determine what letters should be submitted to complete their file, with the understanding of how valuable letters of recommendation are to our evaluation of their qualifications for admission."

I take that to mean that if you can't get one of the required ones then they aren't going to hold it against you, but that they would look favorably upon letters of recommendation from those sources.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15470
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:49 pm

In some instances, applicants may find it extremely difficult to obtain one of the required appraisals. If that is the case, applicants must use their best judgment to determine what letters should be submitted to complete their file


Getting an academic rec is impossible for me. We both just have to use our best judgement like the school says.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kwais » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:00 pm

CLS '14 here, three weeks in. This place rocks. Good luck to all. Oh and by the way, Greenwich Village = tourist trap + expensive drinks. Morningside = real neighborhood + cheap drinks.

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby freestallion » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:12 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
In some instances, applicants may find it extremely difficult to obtain one of the required appraisals. If that is the case, applicants must use their best judgment to determine what letters should be submitted to complete their file


Getting an academic rec is impossible for me. We both just have to use our best judgement like the school says.


Thanks. It would take too long to get an additional rec at this point so I'll take my chances and submit with the reccs I already have collected.

I think it's the "required" language that threw me off. Most schools seem to write that 2 reccs are required and certain types are "preferred." So I didn't expect this from CLS.

User avatar
RonnyDworkin
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:01 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby RonnyDworkin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:07 pm

Any news on (hidden) fee waivers?

User avatar
Gizmo
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Gizmo » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:26 am

RonnyDworkin wrote:Any news on (hidden) fee waivers?

You can only see them with detection. Spawn more Overlords.

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:24 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Thanks. I had previewed it plenty of times in the other screen but didn't think to do it there. Good call.

No hidden fee waiver for me. Guess I'll wait.

Fee waivers also apply retroactively..meaning, if you apply now and columbia gives u fee waiver later on, they will refund ur application fee.

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby freestallion » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:27 am

thederangedwang wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Thanks. I had previewed it plenty of times in the other screen but didn't think to do it there. Good call.

No hidden fee waiver for me. Guess I'll wait.

Fee waivers also apply retroactively..meaning, if you apply now and columbia gives u fee waiver later on, they will refund ur application fee.


I heard that only some schools do this (like Chicago). Are you sure all schools do this?

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:35 am

freestallion wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Thanks. I had previewed it plenty of times in the other screen but didn't think to do it there. Good call.

No hidden fee waiver for me. Guess I'll wait.

Fee waivers also apply retroactively..meaning, if you apply now and columbia gives u fee waiver later on, they will refund ur application fee.


I heard that only some schools do this (like Chicago). Are you sure all schools do this?

i guess i shoulda been clearer...i am not sure this applies to every school..., as you stated, chicago does do this...so i assume columbia will do it as well....but of course i could wrong

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:09 pm

thederangedwang wrote:i guess i shoulda been clearer...i am not sure this applies to every school..., as you stated, chicago does do this...so i assume columbia will do it as well....but of course i could wrong


If my memory is correct, Columbia does not do this. Chicago is one of the very few schools in the T14 that does.

I will not be applying until I get a fee waiver from C. If I don't get one by mid-Oct, then I'll send off my app.

User avatar
erikjc
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:49 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby erikjc » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:41 pm

Does Columbia notify you about a fee waiver, or do they only do hidden?

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:10 pm

I only paid attention to the data pre-Oct test results, but last year, Columbia gave out its first fee waiver Sep 13 (hidden), and then gave out emails Sep 14.

User avatar
RonnyDworkin
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:01 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby RonnyDworkin » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:32 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:I only paid attention to the data pre-Oct test results, but last year, Columbia gave out its first fee waiver Sep 13 (hidden), and then gave out emails Sep 14.


Do you know if the waivers were mostly LSAT based?

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:54 pm

I have absolutely no idea.

mj13
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:34 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mj13 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:49 am

Submitted on 9/3 but haven't received an email acknowledging receipt of application. Anyone know if Columbia sends these emails? I know Chicago does.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15470
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:04 pm

Check your spam folder. Some of my status checkers went there last year.

mj13
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:34 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mj13 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:24 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Check your spam folder. Some of my status checkers went there last year.


Checked everywhere. Not sure what happened. Has anyone ever had any trouble with Gmail losing messages that were forwarded from your undergrad account?

User avatar
RonnyDworkin
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:01 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby RonnyDworkin » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:37 pm

I keep on checking LSAC and still no hidden fee waiver...

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby freestallion » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:52 pm

RonnyDworkin wrote:I keep on checking LSAC and still no hidden fee waiver...


Me too :( :(




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, Daaltaraan, MSNbot Media, studyingeveryday, Veil of Ignorance and 19 guests