Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NDIrish2012
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby NDIrish2012 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:31 pm

edit
Last edited by NDIrish2012 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:08 pm

Greenandgold wrote:
hibiki wrote:
jd20122015 wrote:offered a dean's scholarship at nyu. very unsure of what to do. have until tomorrow to decide!


Have you received your aid package from Columbia? If not see if they'll wait at all until you've received aid info. Or, try to push Columbia to give you that info ASAP. All other things equal, I'd say Columbia (I'm obviously biased) but I think there is something to be said about following the money.


Yea, it really depends on how much that scholarship is for at NYU. That's a really quick turnaround though. Do everything that you can to either get NYU to extend it or to get Columbia to send you their offer.

NYU is really cool about extensions. I got almost a week extra b/c I needed to go out to NY to visit before deciding.
/NYU trolling.

jd20122015
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jd20122015 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:14 pm

Greenandgold wrote:
hibiki wrote:
jd20122015 wrote:offered a dean's scholarship at nyu. very unsure of what to do. have until tomorrow to decide!


Have you received your aid package from Columbia? If not see if they'll wait at all until you've received aid info. Or, try to push Columbia to give you that info ASAP. All other things equal, I'd say Columbia (I'm obviously biased) but I think there is something to be said about following the money.


Yea, it really depends on how much that scholarship is for at NYU. That's a really quick turnaround though. Do everything that you can to either get NYU to extend it or to get Columbia to send you their offer.


my deadline for columbia is today at 5 pm and i still haven't heard about financial aid yet.... :shock:

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:25 pm

jd20122015 wrote:
Greenandgold wrote:
hibiki wrote:
jd20122015 wrote:offered a dean's scholarship at nyu. very unsure of what to do. have until tomorrow to decide!


Have you received your aid package from Columbia? If not see if they'll wait at all until you've received aid info. Or, try to push Columbia to give you that info ASAP. All other things equal, I'd say Columbia (I'm obviously biased) but I think there is something to be said about following the money.


Yea, it really depends on how much that scholarship is for at NYU. That's a really quick turnaround though. Do everything that you can to either get NYU to extend it or to get Columbia to send you their offer.


my deadline for columbia is today at 5 pm and i still haven't heard about financial aid yet.... :shock:

then you're probably loans only

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:26 pm

If you got a Dean's Scholarship at NYU, I assume you got over 60k. Right?

If this is the case, go NYU unless Columbia gives you something close. Columbia has better biglaw stats, but I don't think it's worth the extra debt.

If your parents are paying, go Columbia.

/impartial observer

Luap
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:00 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Luap » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:44 pm

Yeah you should probably turn down Columbia now and tell them to accept a female URM from California. Hahaha just kidding. Tough decision. However if NYU is giving you over 60 and Columbia isnt offering any money I would personally take NYU. When all is said and done you'll have pretty much the same opportunities and in the end you'll be the one interviewing and selling yourself to get jobs. Congratulations again & good luck. You cant go wrong with yor decision when both of your options are phenomenal. Trust your gut!! Please keep us posted!

jd20122015
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jd20122015 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:54 pm

should i call financial aid? i don't want to be pushy...

User avatar
Greenandgold
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Greenandgold » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:03 pm

jd20122015 wrote:should i call financial aid? i don't want to be pushy...


Definitely.

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby smaug_ » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:21 pm

Greenandgold wrote:
jd20122015 wrote:should i call financial aid? i don't want to be pushy...


Definitely.


It isn't pushy to say that you need to know your aid info before making a decision. Worst case they tell you 'no' or 'you're not getting anything' in which case you go to NYU. There isn't much to lose by asking.

jd20122015
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jd20122015 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:10 pm

hibiki wrote:
Greenandgold wrote:
jd20122015 wrote:should i call financial aid? i don't want to be pushy...


Definitely.


It isn't pushy to say that you need to know your aid info before making a decision. Worst case they tell you 'no' or 'you're not getting anything' in which case you go to NYU. There isn't much to lose by asking.


just called. still working on it...doesn't bode well?

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby smaug_ » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:17 pm

jd20122015 wrote:
just called. still working on it...doesn't bode well?


Not sure. They weren't willing to budge on the decision timeframe? I'm constantly astounded at how different people seem to have very different interactions with different schools. I mean, I don't know how much money NYU threw at you, but hopefully it is enough to make the decision easy if Columbia offers you nothing. Otherwise, best of luck with a tough decision. :|

jd20122015
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jd20122015 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:22 pm

hibiki wrote:
jd20122015 wrote:
just called. still working on it...doesn't bode well?


Not sure. They weren't willing to budge on the decision timeframe? I'm constantly astounded at how different people seem to have very different interactions with different schools. I mean, I don't know how much money NYU threw at you, but hopefully it is enough to make the decision easy if Columbia offers you nothing. Otherwise, best of luck with a tough decision. :|


i think my next step is that if i don't hear, or even if i do, to ask for an extenstenion regarding accepting or not. nyu didn't offer a ton, frankly i don't have the numbers for money there anyways, but if columbia offers less i'll choose nyu.

jd20122015
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jd20122015 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:45 pm

i got the same amount at both schools...45k. i live in east village right now. no clue what to do! have to decide in an hour!

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:11 pm

jd20122015 wrote:i got the same amount at both schools...45k. i live in east village right now. no clue what to do! have to decide in an hour!

Columbia if you want biglaw, unless you're especially partial to the East Village, then go to NYU.

Columbia's biglaw stats are better, but NYU kids self-select into public service more.

yurista
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:34 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby yurista » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:13 pm

...
Last edited by yurista on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jd20122015
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jd20122015 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:23 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
jd20122015 wrote:i got the same amount at both schools...45k. i live in east village right now. no clue what to do! have to decide in an hour!

Columbia if you want biglaw, unless you're especially partial to the East Village, then go to NYU.

Columbia's biglaw stats are better, but NYU kids self-select into public service more.


i'm locked in there for the year, so i'd have to commute. i'll most likely do biglaw for a few years, and that seems to be accessible at nyu. other than that, is there anything columbia will offer me over nyu? i think i'm leaning towards nyu just because it's what comfortable for me right now...but i should be looking at the big picture over what is comfortable in the moment. if i had gotten into both schools at the same time i would have chosen columbia

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:37 pm

jd20122015 wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
jd20122015 wrote:i got the same amount at both schools...45k. i live in east village right now. no clue what to do! have to decide in an hour!

Columbia if you want biglaw, unless you're especially partial to the East Village, then go to NYU.

Columbia's biglaw stats are better, but NYU kids self-select into public service more.


i'm locked in there for the year, so i'd have to commute. i'll most likely do biglaw for a few years, and that seems to be accessible at nyu. other than that, is there anything columbia will offer me over nyu? i think i'm leaning towards nyu just because it's what comfortable for me right now...but i should be looking at the big picture over what is comfortable in the moment. if i had gotten into both schools at the same time i would have chosen columbia

Columbia's main appeal is that it has great biglaw placement stats. NYU's main appeal is that they have a large amount of students go into public service. That's the main difference between the schools. Beyond that, the schools are about even and it's a question of personal preference. There's no objectively wrong decision, so if you really like the East Village and don't want to commute, go NYU. I doubt your career trajectory will alter significantly unless you're like bottom 20% at NYU.

nutella123
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby nutella123 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:10 pm

Columbia might have more prestige outside of NYC.....

jd20122015
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jd20122015 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:29 pm

thanks for all your help! i ended up choosing nyu. my instinct just told me that i know i'd be happy there and i didn't really have a feeling associated with columbia. fwiw, i'm a female urm with below median numbers so maybe another spot like that will open up!

Luap
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:00 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Luap » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:31 pm

The gut knows! :)

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby smaug_ » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:37 pm

jd20122015 wrote:thanks for all your help! i ended up choosing nyu. my instinct just told me that i know i'd be happy there and i didn't really have a feeling associated with columbia. fwiw, i'm a female urm with below median numbers so maybe another spot like that will open up!


Best of luck at NYU! I don't think there was a bad decision to make here. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting.

roserdozer
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby roserdozer » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:25 pm

nutella123 wrote:Columbia might have more prestige outside of NYC.....


-->partly why I withdrew from NYU earlier today. I conducted a very informal investigation over the past couple of days and learned that while it might not be huge, it is certainly tangible. Further, when partners in my region think of NYU, they think of left-wing politics; when they think of Columbia, they think of the sports league. It isn't much, but neither is it nothing.

Luap
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:00 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Luap » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:50 pm

So CLS might have a waitlists 200 deep for what 1-2 spots left?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:26 am

Luap wrote:So CLS might have a waitlists 200 deep for what 1-2 spots left?

i doubt it's that big

epetkova
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:58 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby epetkova » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:20 pm

Rcvd email last week. Phone interview. Accepted (!!) via phone 2 days later.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bob loblaw law blog, BrainsyK, lawlawland16, Yahoo [Bot] and 18 guests