Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mermaid9052

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mermaid9052 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:22 pm

luxxe wrote:
mermaid9052 wrote:complete 11/22
URM 166/3.75
complete silence, sent in a LOCI about 2 weeks ago

I was in NYC for NYU AspieFest 2012! and stopped by Columbia to see what was up, they said they definitely didn't loose my application lol which is shocking because I feel like I should have been rejected by now ... but they reassured me that I am in a group that hasn't been placed on hold/WL/reserve ... and that I should receive a decision within a couple of weeks - most likely the end of April

... my best guess is that they are probably waiting to see how many students start withdrawing soon ... and then based on who withdraws they will accept some more students from our group depending on what strengths they are looking to make up for - LSAT/GPA or URMs

We will likely receive decisions at the end of April or by the end of April? This is ridiculous.

Either way, I hope no splitters withdraw in the next month.

Honestly, they were quite vague. To quote her, she said "you'll know in a couple of weeks". I spoke to an admissions assistant - the office was a bit empty because they were having their own ASW. I'm guessing there will be a waive of admitted student withdrawals or acceptances now after their tour and when they get financial aid info. Fingers crossed we get one of those dropped seats, hang in there!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:44 pm

luxxe wrote:
mermaid9052 wrote:complete 11/22
URM 166/3.75
complete silence, sent in a LOCI about 2 weeks ago

I was in NYC for NYU AspieFest 2012! and stopped by Columbia to see what was up, they said they definitely didn't loose my application lol which is shocking because I feel like I should have been rejected by now ... but they reassured me that I am in a group that hasn't been placed on hold/WL/reserve ... and that I should receive a decision within a couple of weeks - most likely the end of April

... my best guess is that they are probably waiting to see how many students start withdrawing soon ... and then based on who withdraws they will accept some more students from our group depending on what strengths they are looking to make up for - LSAT/GPA or URMs

We will likely receive decisions at the end of April or by the end of April? This is ridiculous.

Either way, I hope no splitters withdraw in the next month.

don't worry. i won't :wink:

Cosmopolitanist

Postby Cosmopolitanist » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:07 am

Why isn't it April 24th? Can it be April 24th? Let's have it be April 24th.

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:08 am

Facts: CLS over-enrolled the past 2 classes. They are being more cautious this cycle and using a new yield prediction formula.

Now you can interpret that to mean they have accepted less of their class and there will be more movement late in the cycle and from the WL. Or you can interpret it in the obviously negative way.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:10 am

BrightLine wrote:Facts: CLS over-enrolled the past 2 classes. They are being more cautious this cycle and using a new yield prediction formula.

Now you can interpret that to mean they have accepted less of their class and there will be more movement late in the cycle and from the WL. Or you can interpret it in the obviously negative way.

My guess is that there will be a strong flow of hold admits on about April 20th or slightly earlier so that they can really get a good measure of who's going to be in the class. Either way, I really think the hold list is going to be heavily used.

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:14 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
BrightLine wrote:Facts: CLS over-enrolled the past 2 classes. They are being more cautious this cycle and using a new yield prediction formula.

My guess is that there will be a strong flow of hold admits on about April 20th or slightly earlier so that they can really get a good measure of who's going to be in the class. Either way, I really think the hold list is going to be heavily used.

The thing is, they dont trust the new formula yet. So they be cautious, wait for deposit deadline and then go to WL. Point is, the past couple of years the WL was a dead end but this year it may not be the case. Good luck to all.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:16 am

BrightLine wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

The thing is, they dont trust the new formula yet. So they be cautious, wait for deposit deadline and then go to WL. Point is, the past couple of years the WL was a dead end but this year it may not be the case. Good luck to all.

When is the first deposit deadline? After April 24th?

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:11 am

JamMasterJ wrote:

When is the first deposit deadline? After April 24th?[/quote]

if u get a late acceptance, u usually have additional time to make a deposit. e.g. i know someone that got admitted to fordham early last may and their deposit deadline was in june. good luck, all!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:24 am

Geneva wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
When is the first deposit deadline? After April 24th?

if u get a late acceptance, u usually have additional time to make a deposit. e.g. i know someone that got admitted to fordham early last may and their deposit deadline was in june. good luck, all!

I was wondering whether they will be making a wave of acceptances before April 24th or if it won't be until later (if the first deposit deadline is after their drop-dead date

jvon

Postby jvon » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:48 am

I don't know if anyone answered the question I asked before, so I'll just reiterate:—

The Reserve letter I received mentioned something about sending in a written statement "if you believe that materials already submitted need amplification" ; and that they will contact you if they determine that they want further information.

Does that mean one must send in a LOCI to send a LOCI?

And generally, is it a good idea to send in a LOCI? I'd like to update them on how I've spent my time post-graduation, resume, etc., and perhaps clarify some things my application didn't do justice to.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:58 am

Are you supposed to get a receipt verification email when you send a loci? Just want to make sure they got mine...

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:10 am

Shooter wrote:Are you supposed to get a receipt verification email when you send a loci? Just want to make sure they got mine...

Most people did, but I emailed mine Thursday and haven't yet. I assume they are busy because of the ASW this weekend. Hopefully.

Eta: just got a confirmation. Got the same "we can't give you a more specific timeline". Ngl I'm comforted by the confirmation that they didn't mail me a rejection letter 4 months ago that got lost in the mail or something.

wendys27

Postby wendys27 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:35 am

Any ideas about what it means for the people who haven't heard anything

nametaken

Postby nametaken » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:56 am

Withdrawn. I hope my spot goes to someone else soon. Good luck guys!

QuasiAmbitious

Postby QuasiAmbitious » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:08 pm

Long-time "lurker." Held in Feb. Sent in LOCIs. No word.

Is anyone else of the view that since virtually no one has gotten in after the end of March, there is really no good reason to believe this cycle will be different? Even if we factor in the drop in applicants, I think they have pretty much finished filling up the class.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:29 pm

QuasiAmbitious wrote:Long-time "lurker." Held in Feb. Sent in LOCIs. No word.

Is anyone else of the view that since virtually no one has gotten in after the end of March, there is really no good reason to believe this cycle will be different? Even if we factor in the drop in applicants, I think they have pretty much finished filling up the class.

I really think that they increased the number of holds pretty heavily, and will thus be letting more in in a couple weeks.

Genki

Postby Genki » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:05 pm

Just received an acceptance email!!!!!!!

(why didn't you send it to me last week? I intentionally purchased a plane ticket for NYU that would have me in New York on Wednesday in case I got accepted by Columbia)

Also, I was in the silence group until 3 minutes ago.
Last edited by Genki on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuasiAmbitious

Postby QuasiAmbitious » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:07 pm

Genki wrote:Just received an acceptance email!!!!!!!

(why didn't you send it to me last week. I intentionally purchased a plane ticket for NYU that would have me in New York on Wednesday in case I got accepted by Columbia)

Dates/Held?

Genki

Postby Genki » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:08 pm

QuasiAmbitious wrote:

(why didn't you send it to me last week. I intentionally purchased a plane ticket for NYU that would have me in New York on Wednesday in case I got accepted by Columbia)

Dates/Held?

Submitted 11/11, Complete 11/17, Silence between 11/17 and my admission email.
numbers in profile.

potl

Postby potl » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:14 pm

(why didn't you send it to me last week? I intentionally purchased a plane ticket for NYU that would have me in New York on Wednesday in case I got accepted by Columbia)

Also, I was in the silence group until 3 minutes ago.

Ah that's kind of my plan (arriving a day early), too. Are you just going to email CLS and ask if they can have someone show you around or something? I'm still waiting on a deadline extension for another school though, so I may not be able to visit at all if that doesn't work out.

Genki

Postby Genki » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:19 pm

potl wrote:Ah that's kind of my plan (arriving a day early), too. Are you just going to email CLS and ask if they can have someone show you around or something? I'm still waiting on a deadline extension for another school though, so I may not be able to visit at all if that doesn't work out.

I just flew out to NYC last week for NYU's ASW. NYU's activities were on thursday and friday last week, but I purchased a plane ticket that would get me in on Tuesday night in case Columbia sent me an acceptance between the time I purchased my tickets and the ASW dates. I arrived home at 2am this morning and THEN they decide to send me an acceptance email today. I don't think I'll be able to get the time off work again (or the money) to make another trip out to New York. I'm really happy to have gotten into CLS, but I just wish I had known while I was still in New York so I could have visited.

potl

Postby potl » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:28 pm

Genki wrote:I just flew out to NYC last week for NYU's ASW. NYU's activities were on thursday and friday last week, but I purchased a plane ticket that would get me in on Tuesday night in case Columbia sent me an acceptance between the time I purchased my tickets and the ASW dates. I arrived home at 2am this morning and THEN they decide to send me an acceptance email today. I don't think I'll be able to get the time off work again (or the money) to make another trip out to New York. I'm really happy to have gotten into CLS, but I just wish I had known while I was still in New York so I could have visited.

Ah. Nuts.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:34 pm

Ahhhh. Congrats! Will be panicking until 5 EST :(.

QuasiAmbitious

Postby QuasiAmbitious » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:58 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:

I really think that they increased the number of holds pretty heavily, and will thus be letting more in in a couple weeks.

And how does the fact that Held people (at least on TLS) had, on average, better numbers than people who haven't heard anything figure into your theory?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:41 pm

QuasiAmbitious wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

And how does the fact that Held people (at least on TLS) had, on average, better numbers than people who haven't heard anything figure into your theory?

I honestly don't know why the "hold" category exists, since those that haven't heard will get a decision, at most, three weeks before us. I have an inkling that it's just another hoop for people to jump through to see who really wants to be there. I don't mean YP, but that they know they have to be really accurate in their prediction of their yield in order to not have another overly large class and that in some way, holding a large number of competitive applicants helps them admit the right number of people. I don't know the difference between a hold and a no decision at this point in the game, but I think that it's at least indicative of their hesitation to admit a large number of people early and therefore, a need for more acceptances later.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”