Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
icedflames

Bronze

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by icedflames » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:11 pm

For the Financial Aid Questionnaire, should page 3 (federal direct loan request form) be completely blank for entering 1Ls?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:00 pm

icedflames wrote:For the Financial Aid Questionnaire, should page 3 (federal direct loan request form) be completely blank for entering 1Ls?
I just filled in the info at the top.

icedflames

Bronze

Post by icedflames » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:30 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
icedflames wrote:For the Financial Aid Questionnaire, should page 3 (federal direct loan request form) be completely blank for entering 1Ls?
I just filled in the info at the top.
Gotcha, thanks.

knickerbocker

New

Post by knickerbocker » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:56 am

Waiting to hear back from law schools is so frustrating. It's almost as bad as waiting for your LSAT score.
This song sums up all my feelings about law school admissions committees: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QczgvUDskk0&ob=av2e
B can always put my emotions into words.

Elliott_Smith

Bronze

Post by Elliott_Smith » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:03 pm

FA questionnaire is only for admitted students, correct?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

icedflames

Bronze

Post by icedflames » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:14 pm

Elliott_Smith wrote:FA questionnaire is only for admitted students, correct?
According to the actual FA questionnaire:
FA Questionnaire to FAO - March 1*
Need Access to Access Group - March 1
FAFSA Form to processor - March 1
2011 Tax Returns for Student, Spouse and Parents to FAO - March 1*
Federal Loan Application(s) to Federal Direct Loans and and/or Private Loan Application(s) to FAO - May 15

*or as soon as admitted.

SDPalmTree

Bronze

Post by SDPalmTree » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:47 pm

Received my rejection on Saturday. Postmarked 3/6.

Exactly what I expected...

ssteiner

Bronze

Post by ssteiner » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:44 pm

Still nothing. Sigh.

MachineLemon

Bronze

Post by MachineLemon » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:46 pm

ssteiner wrote:Still nothing. Sigh.
Me too... :?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:48 pm

MachineLemon wrote:
Me three :evil:.

AmoryB

Bronze

Post by AmoryB » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:50 pm

Still nothing here either. Aside from a fall grade request in February, it's been silence since November for me.

StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:45 pm

Finally got the complete email today. Maybe I'll get lucky and see a decision before the end of April.

zworykin

Bronze

Post by zworykin » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:56 pm

luxxe wrote:
MachineLemon wrote:
4 :roll:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Boston_NYG2245

Bronze

Post by Boston_NYG2245 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:16 pm

zworykin wrote:
luxxe wrote:
MachineLemon wrote:
5 :cry:

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:05 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:Finally got the complete email today. Maybe I'll get lucky and see a decision before the end of April.

I went complete on February 22nd. They received my Fall grades on March 1. I think a good estimate is mid-April. The earliest we'll probably see a wave of decisions go out is late March to early April and then they will be pushing them out every week. I say this because the enrollment deposit deadline is May 1st. (I think) Further, I think the housing app is due the first week of May, too. So we are in double overtime here!

I don't really have a shot, but good luck to everyone else. This was my wing and a prayer, hail Mary, snow flake's chance in hell, roll of the dice, reach application. Why not? Only $16.....

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:00 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:
StrictlyBusiness wrote:Finally got the complete email today. Maybe I'll get lucky and see a decision before the end of April.

I went complete on February 22nd. They received my Fall grades on March 1. I think a good estimate is mid-April. The earliest we'll probably see a wave of decisions go out is late March to early April and then they will be pushing them out every week. I say this because the enrollment deposit deadline is May 1st. (I think) Further, I think the housing app is due the first week of May, too. So we are in double overtime here!

I don't really have a shot, but good luck to everyone else. This was my wing and a prayer, hail Mary, snow flake's chance in hell, roll of the dice, reach application. Why not? Only $16.....
I know you're not asking for this, and idk your LSAT bc it's not in your profile (just guessing based on CLS being a 'hail mary,' you should retake! You could get into Harvard with your gpa and apparently unique life experience. Good luck either way!

sailboat

Bronze

Post by sailboat » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:18 pm

zworykin wrote:
luxxe wrote:
MachineLemon wrote:
Same here. I can't help it, but I'm getting frustrated. It's been almost five months now (and I know others have waited even longer). At this point, I'd be willing to bet this is some sort of YP scheme. I'm not 100% clear on how it works, because obviously some people with incredible numbers are in the 'hold' rather than 'silence' pile. Maybe there's not even really a distinction, or maybe for some reason they think the 'silence' people are especially unlikely to attend? (For instance, maybe with my strong PI interest, they figure I'd want to go to a more PI-oriented school like NYU?) Well, whatever it is, I paid them good money and I intend to see this through.

The funny thing is, the longer this process goes on, the more I feel the need to solidify my choice between my current options. It seems like we still have lots of time, but there are a lot of logistics that need to happen between now and August - financial aid, moving, the whole shebang - and while for some people it would be an easy choice, others need time to compare. And I know that if I do get in, I won't be getting five months to think it over.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:28 pm

sailboat wrote:Same here. I can't help it, but I'm getting frustrated. It's been almost five months now (and I know others have waited even longer). At this point, I'd be willing to bet this is some sort of YP scheme. I'm not 100% clear on how it works, because obviously some people with incredible numbers are in the 'hold' rather than 'silence' pile. Maybe there's not even really a distinction, or maybe for some reason they think the 'silence' people are especially unlikely to attend? (For instance, maybe with my strong PI interest, they figure I'd want to go to a more PI-oriented school like NYU?) Well, whatever it is, I paid them good money and I intend to see this through.

The funny thing is, the longer this process goes on, the more I feel the need to solidify my choice between my current options. It seems like we still have lots of time, but there are a lot of logistics that need to happen between now and August - financial aid, moving, the whole shebang - and while for some people it would be an easy choice, others need time to compare. And I know that if I do get in, I won't be getting five months to think it over.
WhiteGuy5 wrote:I think based on people's numbers on TLS, getting held (at least for this round) is NOT a bad thing. Quite the contrary actually. The "Hold" category might include people they are on the fence with, but also a very soft Yield Protect (those less interested in going to Columbia/already accepted at HYS might withdraw after getting Held). If I was in either of those groups, the possibility of waiting until the end of APRIL to make my decision would royally piss me off. I'd withdraw immediately after getting Held.

That would leave CLS with a smaller Held pile of applicants who are more likely to matriculate than otherwise.

Both their higher-than-expected yield rate last year and the purported drop in the number of applicants could explain why they are being super cautious this time around. CLS is the buffer between HYS and the rest of the T6--it has the potential to be hurt most by the changes in the application pool.

Edit: I usually think my speculative insights are gawbage; but that made a lot of sense actually. 8)

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:30 pm

zworykin wrote:
luxxe wrote:
MachineLemon wrote:

yo tambien

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:50 pm

snehpets wrote:
BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:

I know you're not asking for this, and idk your LSAT bc it's not in your profile (just guessing based on CLS being a 'hail mary,' you should retake! You could get into Harvard with your gpa and apparently unique life experience. Good luck either way!
I'm 25th LSAT, 75th GPA, but I'm not going to retake. I think I will get accepted to a pretty good (to decent) school, top 30. If I do well in 1L and feel like it would benefit me, I'll try to transfer to Columbia or some other CCNMVP school. But, yeah, thanks. I do have pretty good "softs." I was a street kid for awhile, etc. Some pretty insane experiences. I actually wrote a diversity statement even though I'm Caucasian. Hehe. Thanks.

sailboat

Bronze

Post by sailboat » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:58 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:I think based on people's numbers on TLS, getting held (at least for this round) is NOT a bad thing. Quite the contrary actually. The "Hold" category might include people they are on the fence with, but also a very soft Yield Protect (those less interested in going to Columbia/already accepted at HYS might withdraw after getting Held). If I was in either of those groups, the possibility of waiting until the end of APRIL to make my decision would royally piss me off. I'd withdraw immediately after getting Held.

That would leave CLS with a smaller Held pile of applicants who are more likely to matriculate than otherwise.

Both their higher-than-expected yield rate last year and the purported drop in the number of applicants could explain why they are being super cautious this time around. CLS is the buffer between HYS and the rest of the T6--it has the potential to be hurt most by the changes in the application pool.

Edit: I usually think my speculative insights are gawbage; but that made a lot of sense actually. 8)
Yeah, definitely not claiming to be an original thinker on this one. I think my feeling was more just that at this point, they can't even deny that it's not YP. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt up to a point, and I guess I've gotten there. This just seems like so much game-playing. I guess Stanford does essentially the same thing, but somehow that seems different to me, I guess because they have a much smaller class to fill (and thus have to pay closer attention to diversity/class composition with each slot) and also because Stanford does't hold or waitlist anyone until April-ish. Columbia essentially has five categories going on right now (Admit/Hold/Reserve/Reject/Pretend You Don't Exist) and that just seems over the top.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:08 am

sailboat wrote:Yeah, definitely not claiming to be an original thinker on this one. I think my feeling was more just that at this point, they can't even deny that it's not YP. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt up to a point, and I guess I've gotten there. This just seems like so much game-playing. I guess Stanford does essentially the same thing, but somehow that seems different to me, I guess because they have a much smaller class to fill (and thus have to pay closer attention to diversity/class composition with each slot) and also because Stanford does't hold or waitlist anyone until April-ish. Columbia essentially has five categories going on right now (Admit/Hold/Reserve/Reject/Pretend You Don't Exist) and that just seems over the top.

sailboat

Bronze

Post by sailboat » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:10 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
sailboat wrote:Yeah, definitely not claiming to be an original thinker on this one. I think my feeling was more just that at this point, they can't even deny that it's not YP. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt up to a point, and I guess I've gotten there. This just seems like so much game-playing. I guess Stanford does essentially the same thing, but somehow that seems different to me, I guess because they have a much smaller class to fill (and thus have to pay closer attention to diversity/class composition with each slot) and also because Stanford does't hold or waitlist anyone until April-ish. Columbia essentially has five categories going on right now (Admit/Hold/Reserve/Reject/Pretend You Don't Exist) and that just seems over the top.
Omg love it. :)

WhiteGuy, hope this pans out for you - I know how much you want CLS! Kudos for staying optimistic. And thanks everyone for listening to me whine, haha.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:13 am

sailboat wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Omg love it. :)

WhiteGuy, hope this pans out for you - I know how much you want CLS! Kudos for staying optimistic. And thanks everyone for listening to me whine, haha.
No one wants CLS more than WhiteGuy. fact

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:27 am

SDPalmTree wrote:Received my rejection on Saturday. Postmarked 3/6.

Exactly what I expected...
no way! what is up w/ ur sister

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”