Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AmandaPB

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby AmandaPB » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:48 pm

MachineLemon wrote:--ImageRemoved--
...nothing

+1

Boston_NYG2245

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:42 pm

still nothing here...

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:43 pm

October submitter.... nothing here.

juju96

Postby juju96 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:48 pm

in regards to the "hold" list i found this in the admissions viewbook (p 32)

"Committee Decisions

In addition to its “admit” and “reject” decision categories, Columbia Law School maintains both “hold” and “reserve” groups of candidates. When an applicant is placed in the hold category, the Admissions Committee has opted to postpone making a decision on his or her candidacy at the time of initial review; in other words, the Admissions Committee has not yet made a determination on the application, and it will be reviewed again by the Committee later in the admissions season. Hold category applicants can expect to receive a decision on their candidacy (admit, reserve, or reject) by the end of April. Unlike applicants who are “wait-listed” at some law schools, candidates placed on reserve at Columbia are at no point ranked ordinally. Rather, each application on reserve is reviewed
again in its entirety by the Admissions Committee on a periodic basis during the summer months, as openings in the entering class materialize. Upon each review, some candidates will be offered or denied admission, while others will be asked if they wish to remain in consideration for any future openings in the class later in the summer. The difference between the hold and reserve categories is that the initial review process is completed for candidates placed on reserve. Reserve candidates will not be reevaluated for admission until the summer months, as openings in the entering class materialize. Applications placed on hold are still being actively reviewed by the Committee, and hold candidates should expect to receive a decision (admit, reserve, or reject) by the end of April."

Fortuitous

Postby Fortuitous » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:56 pm

"Applications placed on hold are still being actively reviewed by the Committee, and hold candidates should expect to receive a decision (admit, reserve, or reject) by the end of April."

I was just placed on hold and wonder if hold isn't actually tantamount to being waitlisted. According to the email, some people on hold MAY be accepted, while some WILL be rejected and WILL be waitlisted.

Fortuitous

Postby Fortuitous » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:57 pm

I applied in January and wonder why Columbia didn't just wait to give me a def answer...

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:59 pm

Fortuitous wrote:"Applications placed on hold are still being actively reviewed by the Committee, and hold candidates should expect to receive a decision (admit, reserve, or reject) by the end of April."

I was just placed on hold and wonder if hold isn't actually tantamount to being waitlisted. According to the email, some people on hold MAY be accepted, while some WILL be rejected and WILL be waitlisted.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:59 pm

Fortuitous wrote:I applied in January and wonder why Columbia didn't just wait to give me a def answer...

Read a few pages back bro. Question has been discussed continuously.

Fortuitous

Postby Fortuitous » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:01 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Fortuitous wrote:I applied in January and wonder why Columbia didn't just wait to give me a def answer...

Read a few pages back bro. Question has been discussed continuously.

Yeah, I haven't been on TLS since 2011. Work insanity.

Fortuitous

Postby Fortuitous » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:02 am

Fortuitous wrote:"Applications placed on hold are still being actively reviewed by the Committee, and hold candidates should expect to receive a decision (admit, reserve, or reject) by the end of April."

any opinions on this?

boosk

Postby boosk » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:06 am

Fortuitous wrote:any opinions on this?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:07 am

Fortuitous wrote:

any opinions on this?

Broski, you're reading too much into it.

Fortuitous

Postby Fortuitous » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:10 am

sports wrote:
Geneva wrote:Just put on hold. Does this mean it's time for me to visit the ding bar?

My understanding is that a hold isn't a bad thing, but just delays your decision. Being placed on the reserve/waitlist is tantamount to a rejection based on what I have read.

If a hold isn't a "bad" thing, I would be interested to see what percentage of people on hold are actually accepted, waitlisted, and rejected. Any statistics from previous cycles on this?

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:14 am

Hold=they're still thinking about you.

Reserve=Waitlist= they have decided not to admit you at this point, but you will be put into a group of applications which may or may not be reevaluated later on. For Columbia basically they will go back to the Reserve pile in summer, and offer WL candidates depending on how many people have enrolled by that point. Historically it's been very hard to get off Columbia's WL because of its admit pattern, but this year who knows. A hold is better than reserve.

I don't know why some schools use different terminology.

Fortuitous

Postby Fortuitous » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:18 am

Thus getting on hold at Columbia doesn't mean autoreject at Yale? Because if it does, I don't want to throw away the $100...

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:20 am

Fortuitous wrote:
sports wrote:
Geneva wrote:Just put on hold. Does this mean it's time for me to visit the ding bar?

My understanding is that a hold isn't a bad thing, but just delays your decision. Being placed on the reserve/waitlist is tantamount to a rejection based on what I have read.

If a hold isn't a "bad" thing, I would be interested to see what percentage of people on hold are actually accepted, waitlisted, and rejected. Any statistics from previous cycles on this?

It's hard to get stats on this because LSN doesn't allow you to show that you've been held by a school.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:22 am

Fortuitous wrote:

any opinions on this?

I think you're reading to much into the verbiage

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:24 am

Fortuitous wrote:Thus getting on hold at Columbia doesn't mean autoreject at Yale? Because if it does, I don't want to throw away the $100...

Several people who have been admitted to Harvard have been held by Columbia so far this cycle, not sure about Yale. It's $100 though, you'll live. Send in the app and then you won't have to wonder anymore.

coward

Postby coward » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:35 pm

juju96 wrote:in regards to the "hold" list i found this in the admissions viewbook (p 32)

"Committee Decisions

In addition to its “admit” and “reject” decision categories, Columbia Law School maintains both “hold” and “reserve” groups of candidates. When an applicant is placed in the hold category, the Admissions Committee has opted to postpone making a decision on his or her candidacy at the time of initial review; in other words, the Admissions Committee has not yet made a determination on the application, and it will be reviewed again by the Committee later in the admissions season. Hold category applicants can expect to receive a decision on their candidacy (admit, reserve, or reject) by the end of April. Unlike applicants who are “wait-listed” at some law schools, candidates placed on reserve at Columbia are at no point ranked ordinally. Rather, each application on reserve is reviewed
again in its entirety by the Admissions Committee on a periodic basis during the summer months, as openings in the entering class materialize. Upon each review, some candidates will be offered or denied admission, while others will be asked if they wish to remain in consideration for any future openings in the class later in the summer. The difference between the hold and reserve categories is that the initial review process is completed for candidates placed on reserve. Reserve candidates will not be reevaluated for admission until the summer months, as openings in the entering class materialize. Applications placed on hold are still being actively reviewed by the Committee, and hold candidates should expect to receive a decision (admit, reserve, or reject) by the end of April."

Thanks juju - an actual, worthwhile response re: hold - who knew it could be done.

176/3.4 - applied early Jan, held just now.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:41 pm

coward wrote:Thanks juju - an actual, worthwhile response re: hold - who knew it could be done.

Sorry, coward.

Why are you doing this in these horrible daily waves, Columbia? And during midterms?? Stress levels skyrocketing.

Boston_NYG2245

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:06 pm

coward wrote:
juju96 wrote:in regards to the "hold" list i found this in the admissions viewbook (p 32)

"Committee Decisions

Thanks juju - an actual, worthwhile response re: hold - who knew it could be done.

sorry dude...

On a more selfish note, I still have nothing (10/29 submit)... This is bordering on comical...

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:02 pm

@Boston_NYG2245 I'm still hanging around waiting too! I wish I had then lack of social graces necessary to call them and be like so did my VCE or rejection letter get lost in the mail maybe? Because you claim to review applications in the order you receive them but we're going on 4 months of silence here...

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:09 pm

To people still waiting on responses: I am thorougly baffled by how the timing element of the admissions process works. I got a hold email despite the fact that I applied in January. I'm sure this question has been answered somewhere on this thread, but I haven't been able to find a clear answer...would really appreciate it if some kind soul would explain the rationale again or provide a link:)

Boston_NYG2245

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:09 pm

jetissent wrote:@Boston_NYG2245 I'm still hanging around waiting too! I wish I had then lack of social graces necessary to call them and be like so did my VCE or rejection letter get lost in the mail maybe? Because you claim to review applications in the order you receive them but we're going on 4 months of silence here...

My sympathies.. Yeah, I told myself I'd give it one more week before I give in and just call and ask what's going on. It is kind of a frustrating situation though.

knickerbocker

Postby knickerbocker » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:20 pm

Can someone paste that graph from last year's cycle, showing when Columbia's acceptances, rejections, and waitlist notifications went out? Also, how do you create those on LSN?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”