Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fingerscrossedxx

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:53 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:
haha yeeeeea, well that might be a problem then haha 3.9x, lsat low 160's, URM. haha here's hoping luck is on my side again!

:shock: And you turned down Columbia...? Wow, the balls on this (guy) - correction girl.

jk, but good luck bro!

I KNOW! It was a crazy hard decision to make, but the reality of it is that I can't afford to go without a bigger scholly. Thats why this girl is thinking I might not be so lucky this time around. But hopefully they see something in my application that really makes them want me.

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:55 pm

EMZE wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:Well to make the thread more lively, and also because I'm really wondering. I got into Columbia last year, defferred for a year, then withdrew a few weeks ago (due to money, told them as much) and have re-applied. Is there a possibility of them rejecting me because they're like "we already accepted you and you turned us down"? I worried.

I don't quite understand the mechanics of having a deferred acceptance for an upcoming class, withdrawing due to money reasons, and then re-applying. Is that because it was not an option to just say, "I can only attend if I get a (larger) scholarship otherwise I will have to withdraw" ... ?

Something like that. The thing is that with a deferral agreement I can't apply to any other schools. Financial aid is only determined in March so if March rolled around and they were like "well we like you but no scholly" then I'd be screwed for December. Right now I've applied to ~14 more schools so if Columbia says no, I have other options...

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:56 pm

so asst dean just came to my school, said a few things that were interesting so i thought i would share it here, if u already knew these things, then jut disregard

1) they take the highest lsat, no averaging

2) they started reading ED applications 2 days ago, but wont start with RD until after thanksgiving

3) put ur facebook on private...they said they routinely check people's facebook and or google them..and they have done it already this yr and "were surprised by the number of people whose FB werent on private"

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:57 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:
haha yeeeeea, well that might be a problem then haha 3.9x, lsat low 160's, URM. haha here's hoping luck is on my side again!

:shock: And you turned down Columbia...? Wow, the balls on this (guy) - correction girl.

jk, but good luck bro!

I KNOW! It was a crazy hard decision to make, but the reality of it is that I can't afford to go without a bigger scholly. Thats why this girl is thinking I might not be so lucky this time around. But hopefully they see something in my application that really makes them want me.

Oh sorry =).

But...WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT. Graduating with decent grades from Columbia would have gotten you a 160k biglaw job to pay that loan back. There are only a few schools worth sticker, and a good case could be made for Columbia. But honestly, with your numbers, you were given a great opportunity and to not take it is TLS blasphemy. =)

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:02 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:

jk, but good luck bro!

Oh sorry =).

But...WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT. Graduating with decent grades from Columbia would have gotten you a 160k biglaw job to pay that loan back. There are only a few schools worth sticker, and a good case could be made for Columbia. But honestly, with your numbers, you were given a great opportunity and to not take it is TLS blasphemy. =)

Haha, I should probably clarify. I would GLADLY have taken Columbia at Sticker, but as an international student I'm not eligible for federal loans, and all the private ones require a US-cosigner, (and I don't know anybody in the US to co-sign for me) so I couldn't take out a loan even if I wanted to! So it's not a matter of "I didn't want to go into debt" It was, I really CAN'T afford this.

Haha, it was funny, I remember calling in and talking to the FinAid office and asking what other int students do in my position, and she was just like, um, I'm not sure, some borrow the money from friends or family. I was like, hmmm, I don't have any friends willing to lend me 100k :/

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:32 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:
thelawyler wrote:Yeah, not really sure why it's dead but what's there to really talk about at this point.

COMPLETION PENDING FOR 7th STRAIGHT DAY...WHY?!!?!?!??!

Edit: But seriously, the Michigan thread already has 50 pages.

2 straight times now I have commented on the status of my application and it has changed that day :shock:

Complete :)

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:34 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:[

Haha, I should probably clarify. I would GLADLY have taken Columbia at Sticker, but as an international student I'm not eligible for federal loans, and all the private ones require a US-cosigner, (and I don't know anybody in the US to co-sign for me) so I couldn't take out a loan even if I wanted to! So it's not a matter of "I didn't want to go into debt" It was, I really CAN'T afford this.

Haha, it was funny, I remember calling in and talking to the FinAid office and asking what other int students do in my position, and she was just like, um, I'm not sure, some borrow the money from friends or family. I was like, hmmm, I don't have any friends willing to lend me 100k :/

Lol...oh...sorry again =).

But aren't there banks in your country that might give student loans, especially for an Ivy League? (I feel like that should matter, I know it did for one of my international friends).

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:42 pm

thederangedwang wrote:so asst dean just came to my school, said a few things that were interesting so i thought i would share it here, if u already knew these things, then jut disregard

2) they started reading ED applications 2 days ago, but wont start with RD until after thanksgiving

3) put ur facebook on private...they said they routinely check people's facebook and or google them..and they have done it already this yr and "were surprised by the number of people whose FB werent on private"

Whoa. I just checked my facebook profile, and half of my albums were publicly viewable. Fortunately, if you search for my name I don't turn up until the fourth page. Facebook privacy is too complicated for me.

I'm seriously surprised they do this. I would have thought they were too busy.

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:50 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:so asst dean just came to my school, said a few things that were interesting so i thought i would share it here, if u already knew these things, then jut disregard

Whoa. I just checked my facebook profile, and half of my albums were publicly viewable. Fortunately, if you search for my name I don't turn up until the fourth page. Facebook privacy is too complicated for me.

Searching by email makes it really, really easy though

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:57 pm

46nyc wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:

Unless your fb email is different from the email you provided them with.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:36 pm

46nyc wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:

Not really. If you've set yourself to be undetectable it should block that search criteria too.

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:05 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
46nyc wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:

Not really. If you've set yourself to be undetectable it should block that search criteria too.

Just wondering, not trying to cause trouble or anything, but do you guys think it's bad if they can find you? Like, I have everything private except my profile pic/school/workplace. Is that ok, or is the general idea that it's better to be completely undetectable?

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:17 am

46nyc wrote:Just wondering, not trying to cause trouble or anything, but do you guys think it's bad if they can find you? Like, I have everything private except my profile pic/school/workplace. Is that ok, or is the general idea that it's better to be completely undetectable?

Probably depends what your profile pic is.

Professionals everywhere use fb, linkedin, twitter, G+. As long as it is professional, then I don't think there are any issues. Of course it is safe to take it all down, but that's also unrealistic.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:24 am

EMZE wrote:
46nyc wrote:Just wondering, not trying to cause trouble or anything, but do you guys think it's bad if they can find you? Like, I have everything private except my profile pic/school/workplace. Is that ok, or is the general idea that it's better to be completely undetectable?

Professionals everywhere use fb, linkedin, twitter, G+. As long as it is professional, then I don't think there are any issues. Of course it is safe to take it all down, but that's also unrealistic.

+1

As long as it looks professional, leave it. Seeing you as a person and not just a file = empathy (even if only a little).

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:29 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
EMZE wrote:

+1

As long as it looks professional, leave it. Seeing you as a person and not just a file = empathy (even if only a little).

Haha sounds good

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:32 am

People are really worrying about FB? Just make it private so nothing is viewable to non-friends.

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:32 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:

But aren't there banks in your country that might give student loans, especially for an Ivy League? (I feel like that should matter, I know it did for one of my international friends).

Haha, no need to be sorry :p As for my country, being a tiny country in the middle of Africa, they don't have any foreign exchange, let alone $160,000 (which when you convert it to our home currency is like a bajillion dollars). It's different for the bigger/higher ranked schools like Harvard and Yale because they have their own school backed loans that they give to international students.

I'm just hoping the adcoms are like, awww this one again, she must really want us, lets give her some money :p

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:24 am

fingerscrossedxx wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:

Haha, no need to be sorry :p As for my country, being a tiny country in the middle of Africa, they don't have any foreign exchange, let alone $160,000 (which when you convert it to our home currency is like a bajillion dollars). It's different for the bigger/higher ranked schools like Harvard and Yale because they have their own school backed loans that they give to international students.

I'm just hoping the adcoms are like, awww this one again, she must really want us, lets give her some money :p

How much money are we talking about? I have a hard time seeing how a small scholarship will change things.

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:38 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:

How much money are we talking about? I have a hard time seeing how a small scholarship will change things.

Haha, yea, thats the other thing... I got 50k (over 3 years) last time around, i'm wondering when they do the needbased assessment, if i let them know that I'm not eligible for loans if that increases my projected need... so really its a toss-up. We. shall. see.

kwais

Postby kwais » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:39 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:People are really worrying about FB? Just make it private so nothing is viewable to non-friends.

I agree here. I actually think being unsearchable is slightly shady, like what are you hiding? But being private shows you are engaged and prudent. Just my .02. They gave us a big professional responsibility talk in orientation. It was about restraint, not invisibility.

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:41 pm

kwais wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:People are really worrying about FB? Just make it private so nothing is viewable to non-friends.

I agree here. I actually think being unsearchable is slightly shady, like what are you hiding? But being private shows you are engaged and prudent. Just my .02. They gave us a big professional responsibility talk in orientation. It was about restraint, not invisibility.

Maybe I don't have a FB?! Yeah, I know, who am I kidding.

kwais

Postby kwais » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:56 pm

seanPtheB wrote:
kwais wrote:

lol, good point and so unlikely these days.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:47 pm

kwais wrote:
seanPtheB wrote:
kwais wrote:

lol, good point and so unlikely these days.

I actually know at least 5 people who got rid of their facebooks. A lot of people don't like the drama that can sometimes come with it/are turned off by the idea of fb in general and everyone having certain information about you at their fingertips.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:04 pm

They are definitely going to find me because I am on basically every social media site that exists, haha. But I don't mind. In fact I linked my website and blog on my resume!

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:06 pm

Even if I didn't say anything bad on any of those kind of sites, I would be worried that I would have typos and grammar mistakes and they would think, "This kid isn't smart at all!"
Last edited by FryBreadPower on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”