Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Elendil
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Elendil » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:50 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Genki wrote:Looks like we dodged another bullet.


I dunno about that.

they started sending out Hold emails = they are done making acceptance decisions for a long time
Acceptances already being sent out ---> we didn't get one = we're headed for Holds.


I know it's difficult to judge holds on LSN, but according to last year's cycle, it looks like there was another big wave of acceptances in early March with "Complete" dates ranging from November to February.

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:53 am

Elendil wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Genki wrote:Looks like we dodged another bullet.


I dunno about that.

they started sending out Hold emails = they are done making acceptance decisions for a long time
Acceptances already being sent out ---> we didn't get one = we're headed for Holds.


I know it's difficult to judge holds on LSN, but according to last year's cycle, it looks like there was another big wave of acceptances in early March with "Complete" dates ranging from November to February.


Hopefully brah<3.

User avatar
Elendil
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Elendil » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:55 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Elendil wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Genki wrote:Looks like we dodged another bullet.


I dunno about that.

they started sending out Hold emails = they are done making acceptance decisions for a long time
Acceptances already being sent out ---> we didn't get one = we're headed for Holds.


I know it's difficult to judge holds on LSN, but according to last year's cycle, it looks like there was another big wave of acceptances in early March with "Complete" dates ranging from November to February.


Hopefully brah<3.


I'm pulling for you! haha

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:02 pm

Elendil wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Genki wrote:Looks like we dodged another bullet.


I dunno about that.

they started sending out Hold emails = they are done making acceptance decisions for a long time
Acceptances already being sent out ---> we didn't get one = we're headed for Holds.


I know it's difficult to judge holds on LSN, but according to last year's cycle, it looks like there was another big wave of acceptances in early March with "Complete" dates ranging from November to February.

Yeah, I think there were still a decent number of people who got in without being held first.

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby moneybagsphd » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:57 pm

Hey guys, is it appropriate to send a LOCI if you've been held? Normally, I think, this would be the time to send in a LOCI, but their letter says:
In the interim you may also submit an updated academic transcript, if applicable, through March 30, 2012, to supplement your application while it is still under review by our Committee.

Nothing about sending in any other supplemental materials.
Thoughts?

lightswitch
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lightswitch » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:57 pm

What should we do if we've been waitlisted? Can we go up to to Columbia and talk to someone there? Should we send in an LOCI, or should we wait until April (since it's re-reviewed in May)? How many people even get in off the waitlist/reserve?

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jim-green » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:07 pm

What's the difference between hold, WL, and reserve? Which one is best hope for eventual admit?

lightswitch wrote:What should we do if we've been waitlisted? Can we go up to to Columbia and talk to someone there? Should we send in an LOCI, or should we wait until April (since it's re-reviewed in May)? How many people even get in off the waitlist/reserve?

Corrupty
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:48 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Corrupty » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:48 pm

jim-green wrote:What's the difference between hold, WL, and reserve? Which one is best hope for eventual admit?

lightswitch wrote:What should we do if we've been waitlisted? Can we go up to to Columbia and talk to someone there? Should we send in an LOCI, or should we wait until April (since it's re-reviewed in May)? How many people even get in off the waitlist/reserve?


I think I heard that hold is best and reserve is worst, but I could be wrong.

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby FryBreadPower » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Corrupty wrote:
jim-green wrote:What's the difference between hold, WL, and reserve? Which one is best hope for eventual admit?

lightswitch wrote:What should we do if we've been waitlisted? Can we go up to to Columbia and talk to someone there? Should we send in an LOCI, or should we wait until April (since it's re-reviewed in May)? How many people even get in off the waitlist/reserve?


I think I heard that hold is best and reserve is worst, but I could be wrong.


Reserve=WL.

Hold means they will wait until a later date to make a decision on you. Presumably its better than a reserve but worse than an admit (obviously). No idea what your chances are after being held, but common knowledge here is that Reserve (WL) is essentially a microstep away from a rejection.

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby FryBreadPower » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:54 pm

lightswitch wrote:What should we do if we've been waitlisted? Can we go up to to Columbia and talk to someone there? Should we send in an LOCI, or should we wait until April (since it's re-reviewed in May)? How many people even get in off the waitlist/reserve?


Apparently only 6 or 7 individuals the last few years. And apparently those people had "auto-admit" numbers, whatever that means (kind of contradictory if you think about it).

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:56 am

IMO, people on hold should send in LOCI's. People on reserve should as well, since it's almost always better to do it than to not do it, but I don't think it will make as much of a difference in the latter cases than in the former cases.

commerceclause
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:14 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby commerceclause » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:23 am

lightswitch wrote:What should we do if we've been waitlisted? Can we go up to to Columbia and talk to someone there? Should we send in an LOCI, or should we wait until April (since it's re-reviewed in May)? How many people even get in off the waitlist/reserve?


Columbia has a pretty liberal open-door policy, and so I think it could be worth stopping by to speak to an admissions officer. The caveat I guess is that you should have some specific things to talk/ask about, though I guess it's ok just to introduce yourself. I guess an LOCI makes sense, too.

commerceclause
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:14 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby commerceclause » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:25 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Genki wrote:Looks like we dodged another bullet.


I dunno about that.

they started sending out Hold emails = they are done making acceptance decisions for a long time
Acceptances already being sent out ---> we didn't get one = we're headed for Holds.


I don't think it means they are done with acceptances for a while. They are still going to be receiving new apps because it takes time for the very last-minute ones to get processed, and their deadline was recent. We'll probably see another wave in the coming few weeks.

Corrupty
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:48 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Corrupty » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:44 am

commerceclause wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Genki wrote:Looks like we dodged another bullet.


I dunno about that.

they started sending out Hold emails = they are done making acceptance decisions for a long time
Acceptances already being sent out ---> we didn't get one = we're headed for Holds.


I don't think it means they are done with acceptances for a while. They are still going to be receiving new apps because it takes time for the very last-minute ones to get processed, and their deadline was recent. We'll probably see another wave in the coming few weeks.



Last year there was another wave of acceptances in the the last week of February and the first week of March, which would fit. They were applicants from all complete dates too(Nov-Feb).

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:25 am

Corrupty wrote:
commerceclause wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Genki wrote:Looks like we dodged another bullet.


I dunno about that.

they started sending out Hold emails = they are done making acceptance decisions for a long time
Acceptances already being sent out ---> we didn't get one = we're headed for Holds.


I don't think it means they are done with acceptances for a while. They are still going to be receiving new apps because it takes time for the very last-minute ones to get processed, and their deadline was recent. We'll probably see another wave in the coming few weeks.



Last year there was another wave of acceptances in the the last week of February and the first week of March, which would fit. They were applicants from all complete dates too(Nov-Feb).

I agree. And I feel like now is when being a splitter or reverse splitter starts to gain advantage. This is the point in the cycle when schools start to really get concerned about their medians, meaning that people who boost/hold a median without being much of an HYS flight risk (thus making it more likely that they actually end up helping the median) are going to be needed.

User avatar
lizaregina
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lizaregina » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:19 pm

VCE arrived yesterday (but picked up by my lazy self from the campus post office today)! Postmarked Thursday (2/16).

Submitted 11/2
Complete 11/11

User avatar
jetissent
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:33 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jetissent » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:34 pm

lizaregina wrote:VCE arrived yesterday (but picked up by my lazy self from the campus post office today)! Postmarked Thursday (2/16).

Submitted 11/2
Complete 11/11


Awesome! Congrats! Nice to see simone with an early complete date hearing back! Mind sharing which state you're in?

User avatar
lizaregina
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lizaregina » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks! Connecticut. I'm actually surprised it got here so quickly since my school's post office is SO slow.

User avatar
sharktankdean
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sharktankdean » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:39 pm

jetissent wrote:
lizaregina wrote:VCE arrived yesterday (but picked up by my lazy self from the campus post office today)! Postmarked Thursday (2/16).

Submitted 11/2
Complete 11/11


Awesome! Congrats! Nice to see simone with an early complete date hearing back! Mind sharing which state you're in?



everytime i see a post of yours, I imagine Mitchell actually saying it

User avatar
sharktankdean
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sharktankdean » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:40 pm

lizaregina wrote:VCE arrived yesterday (but picked up by my lazy self from the campus post office today)! Postmarked Thursday (2/16).

Submitted 11/2
Complete 11/11



Congrats!!

User avatar
lizaregina
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lizaregina » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:41 pm

sharktankdean wrote: Congrats!!


Thanks! And I agree with you about Mitchell :)

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby FryBreadPower » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:16 pm

lizaregina wrote:VCE arrived yesterday (but picked up by my lazy self from the campus post office today)! Postmarked Thursday (2/16).

Submitted 11/2
Complete 11/11


Awesome.

Early Nov. submit date. Postmark that isn't 2/14. Brings new hope to this thread. (You hearin' this Jam and WhiteGuy? I'll be damned if you two don't get in).

User avatar
lizaregina
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lizaregina » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:31 pm

I'm glad I could bring hope to others :) I'll also most likely be giving my spot to another so I've done my mitzvah for the day.

User avatar
PopTorts13
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby PopTorts13 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:20 pm

lizaregina wrote:I'm glad I could bring hope to others :) I'll also most likely be giving my spot to another so I've done my mitzvah for the day.


Congrats and thanks, I'll be glad to see the spot go to another deserving person. I have yet to hear, but prefer Chicago over Columbia, so if I am accepted with minimal scholarship, I will be withdrawing. Good luck all who have Columbia as a top choice!

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:28 pm

Nice to see a November submitter getting in! Congrats!

Still seeing very little 172-and-below people though.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], roar1018 and 10 guests