Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Elendil
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Elendil » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:07 pm

MachineLemon wrote:
bluenoser wrote:Anyone else with a 175 still waiting?


175+ and still waiting. Late October submit.


A friend of mine is still waiting with a 175+ 3.9+, late November or early December submit...

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:08 pm

Nelson wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
thestillpoint wrote:Honestly, I have no idea. But if you search LSN for those with 172 and 3.87 - 3.91, you can find six who list a decision for Columbia. Only one was waitlisted. Three were accepted in Feb, one was accepted in January. One was accepted with no date given. Two received a $25,000 scholarship and one received a $30,000.

I don't know the logic, but, despite the small sample size, I've now remained hopeful for both an acceptance and even the possibility of some merit aid for those of us who haven't heard.


I'm right under 3.87 =(

You'll probably get in. Columbia is very predictable and you're at the LSAT median/above the GPA median. I wouldn't worry yet, there haven't been that many people with numbers worse than yours get in up until now besides ED and URM so you're not being passed over.


I remember hearing that Columbia puts more emphasis on where you went to UG than most schools. If so, I went to a very low-on-prestige public school. I've always presumed that dimmed my chances at Columbia specifically.

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:08 pm

Lol is anyone else still waiting who doesn't have auto admit numbers? :?

likemike
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby likemike » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:09 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:Lol is anyone else still waiting who doesn't have auto admit numbers? :?



Yup. 170/4.03

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby snehpets » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:11 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
I remember hearing that Columbia puts more emphasis on where you went to UG than most schools. If so, I went to a very low-on-prestige public school. I've always presumed that dimmed my chances at Columbia specifically.


With your scholarship situation and strong interest in CLS, why didn't you ED? Just curious, not making a point or anything. I know there are a lot of reasons not to.

Also, I really think you'll get in/be fine. I'm in a less than prestigious major at a less than prestigious undergrad and it doesn't seem to have mattered. I think a great undergrad can help you but I don't think a bad undergrad really hurts you.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nelson » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:14 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:I remember hearing that Columbia puts more emphasis on where you went to UG than most schools. If so, I went to a very low-on-prestige public school. I've always presumed that dimmed my chances at Columbia specifically.

Interesting. I'd never heard that. Still, if there was ever a year to bend on that kind of stuff, this would be it since they're going to need all of the 172s they can get to hold the line on the median.

User avatar
catwomangirl
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby catwomangirl » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:28 pm

likemike wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:Lol is anyone else still waiting who doesn't have auto admit numbers? :?



Yup. 170/4.03


I am non-auto, but with various soft type things going for me.

bluenoser
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:47 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bluenoser » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:29 pm

Elendil wrote:
MachineLemon wrote:
bluenoser wrote:Anyone else with a 175 still waiting?


175+ and still waiting. Late October submit.


A friend of mine is still waiting with a 175+ 3.9+, late November or early December submit...


Good to know I'm not the only one still waiting with higher numbers. I was beginning to think it might just be because I'm an international student. I can hyperventilate a little less now...

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:31 pm

zworykin wrote:
bluenoser wrote:Anyone else with a 175 still waiting?


176 count?

same

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kwais » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:33 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Nelson wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
thestillpoint wrote:Honestly, I have no idea. But if you search LSN for those with 172 and 3.87 - 3.91, you can find six who list a decision for Columbia. Only one was waitlisted. Three were accepted in Feb, one was accepted in January. One was accepted with no date given. Two received a $25,000 scholarship and one received a $30,000.

I don't know the logic, but, despite the small sample size, I've now remained hopeful for both an acceptance and even the possibility of some merit aid for those of us who haven't heard.


I'm right under 3.87 =(

You'll probably get in. Columbia is very predictable and you're at the LSAT median/above the GPA median. I wouldn't worry yet, there haven't been that many people with numbers worse than yours get in up until now besides ED and URM so you're not being passed over.


I remember hearing that Columbia puts more emphasis on where you went to UG than most schools. If so, I went to a very low-on-prestige public school. I've always presumed that dimmed my chances at Columbia specifically.


must say that this seems spot on. Everyone and their mom here went to Ivy + Berkeley etc.

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:34 pm

kwais wrote:
must say that this seems spot on. Everyone and their mom here went to Ivy + Berkeley etc.


That could be self selection - undergrad gunner = LS gunner

If what WG said is true though, I'm screwed :cry:

maxpower430
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby maxpower430 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:38 pm

still waiting here too, mid-November submit.

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby snehpets » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:39 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
kwais wrote:
must say that this seems spot on. Everyone and their mom here went to Ivy + Berkeley etc.


That could be self selection - undergrad gunner = LS gunner

If what WG said is true though, I'm screwed :cry:


yeah, this. not only are people at prestigious undergrads perhaps more likely to get the grades/LSAT necessary to get into Columbia, they might also be the type to choose Columbia for the name. not all of them obviously, but certainly enough to give this impression.

User avatar
sn20
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sn20 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:42 pm

likemike wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:Lol is anyone else still waiting who doesn't have auto admit numbers? :?



Yup. 170/4.03


170/3.87 here. submitted 9/30

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby emkay625 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:42 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:Lol is anyone else still waiting who doesn't have auto admit numbers? :?


Yup. 3.23/173. I thought I would've gotten dinged weeks ago.

User avatar
zworykin
Posts: 449
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby zworykin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:43 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
kwais wrote:
must say that this seems spot on. Everyone and their mom here went to Ivy + Berkeley etc.


That could be self selection - undergrad gunner = LS gunner

If what WG said is true though, I'm screwed :cry:


Wait, though. He just said "prestige" without specifying how the school earned that prestige.

I refer you to the definition of the term:
reputation or influence arising from success, achievement, rank, or other favorable attributes.


My undergrad institution is a veritable fixture on Playboy's annual top party schools list, with a win and several top-three finishes in the past decade. Surely this sort of prestige should count for something, yes?

User avatar
tempur_three
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tempur_three » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:43 pm

I didn't go to a prestigious undergrad. I also submitted in december if that helps anyone.

User avatar
Genki
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:04 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Genki » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:48 pm

@tempure_three
I smile everytime I see your avatar.
:D

User avatar
luxxe
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby luxxe » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:51 pm

zworykin wrote:Wait, though. He just said "prestige" without specifying how the school earned that prestige.

I refer you to the definition of the term:
reputation or influence arising from success, achievement, rank, or other favorable attributes.


My undergrad institution is a veritable fixture on Playboy's annual top party schools list, with a win and several top-three finishes in the past decade. Surely this sort of prestige should count for something, yes?


Hoping for the same. My school just made HuffPo's Socially Awkward Colleges list :lol:.

pupperoni
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:48 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby pupperoni » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:58 pm

columbia does in fact put a lot of emphasis on UG quality. people who get in with borderline numbers 170/171/~3.8 are mostly from ivy UGs or have unique work experiences.

User avatar
jwalterweatherman
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jwalterweatherman » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:06 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:Lol is anyone else still waiting who doesn't have auto admit numbers? :?


I'm 172/3.9, but I'm a baby JD (K-JD?). I think that puts me in this group.

User avatar
mikeylikesit
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:17 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mikeylikesit » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:09 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:Lol is anyone else still waiting who doesn't have auto admit numbers? :?


170/3.8. (But URM so who knows where that really puts me...)

User avatar
AmandaPB
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby AmandaPB » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:11 pm

Still waiting here.

cgomez
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:17 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cgomez » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:14 pm

still waiting, didn't break 170 and my gpa is also slightly below median. so everyday with no waitlist or rejection is a great day for me lol

User avatar
ScoutFinch
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:34 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ScoutFinch » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:16 pm

zworykin wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:
kwais wrote:
must say that this seems spot on. Everyone and their mom here went to Ivy + Berkeley etc.


That could be self selection - undergrad gunner = LS gunner

If what WG said is true though, I'm screwed :cry:


Wait, though. He just said "prestige" without specifying how the school earned that prestige.

I refer you to the definition of the term:
reputation or influence arising from success, achievement, rank, or other favorable attributes.


My undergrad institution is a veritable fixture on Playboy's annual top party schools list, with a win and several top-three finishes in the past decade. Surely this sort of prestige should count for something, yes?


Heeeyyy, I went to that school! I think we should get extra credit for managing >3.0 in that environment :D




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”