Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
AmoryB
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:39 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby AmoryB » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:18 pm

Still no word for me as well. I'm cautiously hopeful.

User avatar
sharktankdean
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sharktankdean » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:29 pm

survived the reserve batch...but just remembered columbia sends out holds so that might be coming next week. But looking at last years thread, in the week of valentine's day, they sent some acceptances by email..wonder why they didn't make them wait for the envelopes.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:14 pm

citykitty wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Really excited by the numbers of all the people with no news.

Except you, kitty :lol: :lol: :wink:

I've been complete since October, and doesn't Columbia review in order? This makes no sense at all.

not really in order. Either way, you're in freaking incredible shape

User avatar
catwomangirl
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby catwomangirl » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:27 pm

sharktankdean wrote:survived the reserve batch...but just remembered columbia sends out holds so that might be coming next week. But looking at last years thread, in the week of valentine's day, they sent some acceptances by email..wonder why they didn't make them wait for the envelopes.


What's the difference between reserve and hold at Columbia?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:29 pm

catwomangirl wrote:
sharktankdean wrote:survived the reserve batch...but just remembered columbia sends out holds so that might be coming next week. But looking at last years thread, in the week of valentine's day, they sent some acceptances by email..wonder why they didn't make them wait for the envelopes.


What's the difference between reserve and hold at Columbia?

reserve is a waitlist; hold is waiting to make a decision on your app. Holds have different meanings at different schools, but I think Columbia's hold is less of a ding than their reserve.

User avatar
catwomangirl
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby catwomangirl » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:31 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
catwomangirl wrote:
sharktankdean wrote:survived the reserve batch...but just remembered columbia sends out holds so that might be coming next week. But looking at last years thread, in the week of valentine's day, they sent some acceptances by email..wonder why they didn't make them wait for the envelopes.


What's the difference between reserve and hold at Columbia?

reserve is a waitlist; hold is waiting to make a decision on your app. Holds have different meanings at different schools, but I think Columbia's hold is less of a ding than their reserve.


Thanks Jammy!

User avatar
Zelda
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Zelda » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:32 pm

Happy to be in the group that is still waiting to hear back! Definitely crossing my fingers that we all get good news this week!

(Especially JMJ!!!)

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:51 pm

thelong wrote:No vomit in the mail today.

InformationOverlord
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:15 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby InformationOverlord » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:58 pm

I haven't heard back since October either, but I have hail-Mary numbers. I applied late in the cycle last year and was waitlisted. could there be any hope for me?

chasgoose
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby chasgoose » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:10 pm

To people who were reserved, there might be more of a chance for you this year. CLS way overenrolled for its Class of 2014, so there is a good chance they will be conservative with its admits and get to the numbers they want off the waitlist. This happened at NYU last year (overenrolled class of 2013, lots of WL movement for the class of 2014).

Unfortunately, for people with no decision yet, this also means there are probably some people who would have been safe admits last year that might face a WL/Reserve this year...

User avatar
sharktankdean
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sharktankdean » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:20 pm

chasgoose wrote:To people who were reserved, there might be more of a chance for you this year. CLS way overenrolled for its Class of 2014, so there is a good chance they will be conservative with its admits and get to the numbers they want off the waitlist. This happened at NYU last year (overenrolled class of 2013, lots of WL movement for the class of 2014).

Unfortunately, for people with no decision yet, this also means there are probably some people who would have been safe admits last year that might face a WL/Reserve this year...




Erm.... How is this good news for anyone?? If they did overenroll doesn't that mean its bad for everyone especially those on reserve.

User avatar
catwomangirl
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby catwomangirl » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:25 pm

Did you guys see the blog post by Columbia admissions?

http://blogs.law.columbia.edu/admissions/

Edit: I think they might be waiting until February 15 to figure how low their numbers will go. Praps good news?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:36 pm

sharktankdean wrote:
chasgoose wrote:To people who were reserved, there might be more of a chance for you this year. CLS way overenrolled for its Class of 2014, so there is a good chance they will be conservative with its admits and get to the numbers they want off the waitlist. This happened at NYU last year (overenrolled class of 2013, lots of WL movement for the class of 2014).

Unfortunately, for people with no decision yet, this also means there are probably some people who would have been safe admits last year that might face a WL/Reserve this year...




Erm.... How is this good news for anyone?? If they did overenroll doesn't that mean its bad for everyone especially those on reserve.
+1

this is what happened at UVA last year after over-enrolling the previous cycle

User avatar
ScoutFinch
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:34 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ScoutFinch » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:05 pm

So, I just checked the mail and found two big white envelopes from Columbia law admissions in my building's communal package cabinet. Neither were for me, of course. I thought white envelopes were reserved for rejections/wl's, but these looked pretty thick. Has anyone received an acceptance in a color other than vomit?

oregon000
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:45 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby oregon000 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:08 pm

I don't know if its been said, but the "reserve" nonsense is just YP'ing. They know lots o' kids have heard back from HYS by February and it just a simple and convenient way for them to up their percentage of matriculants.

User avatar
zapcaz
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby zapcaz » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:09 pm

ScoutFinch wrote:So, I just checked the mail and found two big white envelopes from Columbia law admissions in my building's communal package cabinet. Neither were for me, of course. I thought white envelopes were reserved for rejections/wl's, but these looked pretty thick. Has anyone received an acceptance in a color other than vomit?


Probably a Viewbook ... mine came in a white thick envelope last week. Gave me a heart attack...

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby snehpets » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:10 pm

ScoutFinch wrote:So, I just checked the mail and found two big white envelopes from Columbia law admissions in my building's communal package cabinet. Neither were for me, of course. I thought white envelopes were reserved for rejections/wl's, but these looked pretty thick. Has anyone received an acceptance in a color other than vomit?


Mine came in a big white envelope. One of those post office ones that are weird and puffy. The VCE and admissions binder were inside.

User avatar
yankees42789
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:51 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby yankees42789 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:11 pm

ScoutFinch wrote:So, I just checked the mail and found two big white envelopes from Columbia law admissions in my building's communal package cabinet. Neither were for me, of course. I thought white envelopes were reserved for rejections/wl's, but these looked pretty thick. Has anyone received an acceptance in a color other than vomit?


I just got these today. One is an acceptance binder and the other one is an NYC info booklet. A few other people who got VCEs within the last ten or so days have mentioned getting them recently, I think.

bluenoser
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:47 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bluenoser » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:31 pm

catwomangirl wrote:Did you guys see the blog post by Columbia admissions?

http://blogs.law.columbia.edu/admissions/

Edit: I think they might be waiting until February 15 to figure how low their numbers will go. Praps good news?


I'd honestly given up on checking the admissions blog months ago. Nice to see they finally started updating again.

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:39 pm

I went above and beyond what was asked and required of me. I refuse to believe that I was waitlisted.

Nothing in the mail today.

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby snehpets » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:42 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:I went above and beyond what was asked and required of me. I refuse to believe that I was waitlisted.

Nothing in the mail today.


What's your first choice(s) right now? I remember you have that unique scholarship situation.

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:53 pm

snehpets wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:I went above and beyond what was asked and required of me. I refuse to believe that I was waitlisted.

Nothing in the mail today.


What's your first choice(s) right now? I remember you have that unique scholarship situation.


Werdd. That's why a Columbia ding would be atrocious. It's still NYU though--would anyone disagree with the soundness of my decision?

Ugh, this is going to warrant its own thread soon. Didn't think it would come to that.

User avatar
MachineLemon
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:47 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MachineLemon » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:07 pm

Nothing today.

Image

User avatar
thelong
Posts: 992
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelong » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:11 pm

MachineLemon wrote:Nothing today.

Image


This is the quintessential picture for the mailless/e-mailless among us. Well played. Well played, indeed.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Bronck » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:17 pm

ScoutFinch wrote:So, I just checked the mail and found two big white envelopes from Columbia law admissions in my building's communal package cabinet. Neither were for me, of course. I thought white envelopes were reserved for rejections/wl's, but these looked pretty thick. Has anyone received an acceptance in a color other than vomit?


My Admitted Students Handbook came in a white envelope.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Zoe107 and 7 guests