Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
catwomangirl

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby catwomangirl » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:13 pm

amc987 wrote:So, remember when I said that it seemed like Columbia had accepted a lot fewer people during Jan 2012 than it did during Jan 2011? Well, scratch that. It seems like there are now 67 people on LSN who are reporting acceptances as compared to 69 at this time last year. I hope there will be more rounds, but our previous theories that they're being very conservative in extending earlier acceptances may have not been accurate. F (our) Ls.

You know you want to accept us TLSers, Columbia.

lameslice57

Postby lameslice57 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:14 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
lameslice57 wrote:Oh it's like that huh? :)

:lol:
I guess you've at least been a member for a decent amount of time

Yeah I'm fairly adept at lurking, gl w/ your cycle! I'm sure you'll be getting some love soon.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:20 pm

catwomangirl wrote:
amc987 wrote:So, remember when I said that it seemed like Columbia had accepted a lot fewer people during Jan 2012 than it did during Jan 2011? Well, scratch that. It seems like there are now 67 people on LSN who are reporting acceptances as compared to 69 at this time last year. I hope there will be more rounds, but our previous theories that they're being very conservative in extending earlier acceptances may have not been accurate. F (our) Ls.

they accept a lot of people in February and March

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:53 pm

Lol again Columbia releases its decisions in batches. The fact that you are not in the first batch should not give you cause to worry. You will prob hear back in feb/march. And I think it would be an acceptance. I think your urm status plus your numbers should get you into Columbia with no problems. Also I think that the fact that u were part of the Urm batch WL at Penn meant your app was good/great. Cuz I feel Penn wait listed a bunch of Urms that they knew had better school options...also cuz they may not have offered you a scholarship they felt like u would never have come to Penn. think positive. You should be worrying about Harvard lol.

zapcaz

Postby zapcaz » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:18 pm

So I have been complete since early December. When I checked my mail today there was a big envelope from Columbia...containing ONLY their viewbook...talk about a heart attack and then a let down...

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:33 pm

No VCE for me here in FL :/. Fortunately, the Chicago packet resting in the mailbox softened the blow

caminante

Postby caminante » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:44 pm

zapcaz wrote:So I have been complete since early December. When I checked my mail today there was a big envelope from Columbia...containing ONLY their viewbook...talk about a heart attack and then a let down...

That's just cruel!

Champion

Postby Champion » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:46 pm

vincanity1 wrote:No VCE for me here in FL :/. Fortunately, the Chicago packet resting in the mailbox softened the blow

This is EXACTLY what happened for me. Looking like Hyde Park it is.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:11 pm

was there no VCE movement today?

maxpower430

Postby maxpower430 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:13 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:was there no VCE movement today?

I was wondering the same thing, how anxious should I be when checking the mail today?

Zelda

Postby Zelda » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:16 pm

When does the first round of WL/Rejections come?

amc987

Postby amc987 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:37 pm

sharktankdean wrote: Lol again Columbia releases its decisions in batches. The fact that you are not in the first batch should not give you cause to worry. You will prob hear back in feb/march. And I think it would be an acceptance. I think your urm status plus your numbers should get you into Columbia with no problems. Also I think that the fact that u were part of the Urm batch WL at Penn meant your app was good/great. Cuz I feel Penn wait listed a bunch of Urms that they knew had better school options...also cuz they may not have offered you a scholarship they felt like u would never have come to Penn. think positive. You should be worrying about Harvard lol.

Thanks, sharktankdean. I think there were some compliments in there. I know that I can be extremely neurotic/ pessimistic when I refer to my own law school prospects. I have been accepted at some great schools. I am a little worried because every time someone on here tells me I should be able to get into Columbia and H or S, I get worried that I completely messed something up. I know I didn't, because otherwise I'd have had a much worse cycle to this point, but that's the reality.There are definitely URMs with numbers around mine who haven't gotten in here, though. Case in point: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/timmna/jd. She did get into Stanford, though, so clearly her application was strong. Columbia tends to make some weird decisions, I think.

I will try to be more glass-half-full until I hear something definitive from Columbia, though. Hopefully my posts will reflect that. And, FWIW, I actually thought I might be able to get into Columbia before the cycle started, so I'm a little more worried about not getting in during the first round than I am about, say, Harvard and Stanford, where I knew my chances were probably pretty slim to begin with. If you search my post history, you'll see that I've already done my fair share of lamenting over those 2 schools as well.

Anyway, good luck to you! I am not sure of your numbers, but I think your cycle has already been going well. Hopefully we'll both hear really good news from Columbia (and H and S) before too long.

MachineLemon

Postby MachineLemon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:00 pm

Hmmm... I don't think this is right... During the January wave last year there were indeed 69 admits (per LSN). However, by my count there are only 51 admits in the January wave this year. However, if you also count this year's ED admits (16 total) you get the 67 admits quoted about.

TL;DR = 69 includes RD only, 67 includes ED and RD admits.

amc987

Postby amc987 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:12 pm

MachineLemon wrote:

Hmmm... I don't think this is right... During the January wave last year there were indeed 69 admits (per LSN). However, by my count there are only 51 admits in the January wave this year. However, if you also count this year's ED admits (16 total) you get the 67 admits quoted about.

TL;DR = 69 includes RD only, 67 includes ED and RD admits.

I counted again and got 66 RD admits, dude. Maybe I am failing at addition these days (it's been a while since I took a math class after all), but I am including the ones with no dates that were recently updated. I am making an assumption that people who were accepted ED wouldn't update their profiles just now, but that seems reasonable enough to me. I counted from FEE to yankees on LSN excluding 2plus2much, columbound, and jjcheng who seem to be EDers judging by their decision dates.

MachineLemon

Postby MachineLemon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:35 pm

amc987 wrote:I counted again and got 66 RD admits, dude. Maybe I am failing at addition these days (it's been a while since I took a math class after all), but I am including the ones with no dates that were recently updated. I am making an assumption that people who were accepted ED wouldn't update their profiles just now, but that seems reasonable enough to me. I counted from FEE to yankees on LSN excluding 2plus2much, columbound, and jjcheng who seem to be EDers judging by their decision dates.

Sorry, I meant no insult to your addition skills, but obviously it'd be nice if you were wrong since I am VCE-less. :( Hell, I'd love to be wrong--so long as I'm wrong in the right direction.

I sorted by decision (admit, reject, etc...) and copied all the accepted folks into an excel file. Then I sorted by decision date and counted only those with (1) a reported decision date and (2) a decision date in January. Did the same thing for last year. Any idea where we diverged?

amc987

Postby amc987 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:47 pm

MachineLemon wrote:
amc987 wrote:I counted again and got 66 RD admits, dude. Maybe I am failing at addition these days (it's been a while since I took a math class after all), but I am including the ones with no dates that were recently updated. I am making an assumption that people who were accepted ED wouldn't update their profiles just now, but that seems reasonable enough to me. I counted from FEE to yankees on LSN excluding 2plus2much, columbound, and jjcheng who seem to be EDers judging by their decision dates.

Sorry, I meant no insult to your addition skills, but obviously it'd be nice if you were wrong since I am VCE-less. :( Hell, I'd love to be wrong--so long as I'm wrong in the right direction.

I sorted by decision (admit, reject, etc...) and copied all the accepted folks into an excel file. Then I sorted by decision date and counted only those with (1) a reported decision date and (2) a decision date in January. Did the same thing for last year. Any idea where we diverged?

Haha. I didn't take it that way at all. No worries. And trust me, I found it embarrassingly difficult to count just on the computer screen, so my addition skills (and my ability to read accurately on my backlit laptop screen) are suspect anyway. I think we diverged because I included folks who were accepted but who don't have decision dates attached. They updated their profiles very recently which is what makes me think that they were RD admits. I counted exactly 15 of these people, which is what makes the difference between your 51 and my 66. I just sorted by decisions and went down the list on LSN: http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants As I said, I excluded 2plus2much, jjcheng, and columbound because their decision dates indicate that they were probably ED admits.

FWIW, I hoped that I was wrong too, but I don't think I am now that I went back and checked. Although, as I have been told several times today by more positive-minded TLSers, Columbia releases its decisions in batches, so it's a bit premature for either of us to be expecting WLs/dings. Fingers crossed. Good luck!!

acadec

Postby acadec » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:50 pm

So, the Voldemort trick worked for me, but I still haven't received a VCE. I'm on the West Coast, so I didn't expect it immediately, but I think I'm gonna officially start freaking out if it's not in tomorrow. Are any other successful Death Eaters still waiting on the envelope?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:52 pm

amc987 wrote:
MachineLemon wrote:

Haha. I didn't take it that way at all. No worries. And trust me, I found it embarrassingly difficult to count just on the computer screen, so my addition skills (and my ability to read accurately on my backlit laptop screen) are suspect anyway. I think we diverged because I included folks who were accepted but who don't have decision dates attached. They updated their profiles very recently which is what makes me think that they were RD admits. I counted exactly 15 of these people, which is what makes the difference between your 51 and my 66. I just sorted by decisions and went down the list on LSN: http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants As I said, I excluded 2plus2much, jjcheng, and columbound because their decision dates indicate that they were probably ED admits.

FWIW, I hoped that I was wrong too, but I don't think I am now that I went back and checked. Although, as I have been told several times today by more positive-minded TLSers, Columbia releases its decisions in batches, so it's a bit premature for either of us to be expecting WLs/dings. Fingers crossed. Good luck!!

yeah, I think your number is accurate. I got the same number. I did see a bunch of Feb and March admits though, which is really good

MachineLemon

Postby MachineLemon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:57 pm

amc987 wrote:
MachineLemon wrote:

Yeah, judging from last year, several will probably add the decision date later. Only about 15 left it off over the whole cycle last year. Darn. We'll have to see.

I submitted fairly early (late October/early November), but I have a 75th+ LSAT and a median GPA, so I am pretty confused at this point.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:43 pm

I have SUCH good news for some of you! I'm posting this before I tell my parents actually just because I hope it gives a lot of you hope!

VCE today, mid-South, did have grade request, could not access the thing as you might have seen from my other neurotic posts, AND, most exciting, it's postmarked 1/26! Definitely multiple batches. My letter is dated 1/25. Perhaps smaller ones, but they're happening. Can't wait for more of you to get this news!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:45 pm

snehpets wrote:I have SUCH good news for some of you! I'm posting this before I tell my parents actually just because I hope it gives a lot of you hope!

VCE today, mid-South, did have grade request, could not access the thing as you might have seen from my other neurotic posts, AND, most exciting, it's postmarked 1/26! Definitely multiple batches. My letter is dated 1/25. Perhaps smaller ones, but they're happening. Can't wait for more of you to get this news!

Congrats! Great news for the thread always comes before family.

crumpledq

Postby crumpledq » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:48 pm

snehpets wrote:I have SUCH good news for some of you! I'm posting this before I tell my parents actually just because I hope it gives a lot of you hope!

Congratulations!!!

thelong

Postby thelong » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:51 pm

Awesome! Congratulations and you're giving us some hope that we didn't miss the first wave.

soj

Postby soj » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:52 pm

Congrats, snehpets!! :mrgreen:

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:58 pm

thanks guys!!! I'm seriously most excited because it means that good news is probably coming for a lot of you guys who are really anxious to hear!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”