Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JustE » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:10 pm

tempur_three wrote:I would like to see where it says it was strictly for admitted students. It's not the issue of using a password that we haven't been granted. No where on that website did they have a disclaimer saying it's strictly for admitted students to access. That could cause an interesting dilemma: say that your mother had accessed the student website, was she then 'unauthorized' to do so? Will she be prosecuted to the full extent of the law? No and no.

You make it sound like we are logging into a NASA computer system where the telnet/ssh prompt reads:

This computer system including all related equipment, network devices (specifically
including Internet access), are provided only for authorized use. All computer systems
may be monitored for all lawful purposes, including to ensure that their use is
authorized, for management of the system, to facilitate protection against unauthorized
access, and to verify security procedures, survivability and operational security.
Monitoring includes active attacks by authorized personnel and their entities to test or
verify the security of the system. During monitoring, information may be examined,
recorded, copied and used for authorized purposes. All information including personal
information, placed on or sent over this system may be monitored. Uses of this system,
authorized or unauthorized, constitutes consent to monitoring of this system.
Unauthorized use may subject you to criminal prosecution. Evidence of any such
unauthorized use collected during monitoring may be used for administrative, criminal or
other adverse action. Use of this system constitutes consent to monitoring for these
purposes.

If Columbia had anything like that NASA warning, then I would have never logged in. To me this password was for the general public use released upon the discretion of whomever was admitted. Whether it was a TLS poster who gave you the password, whether it was the admissions department that gave it to you, or whether a distant cousin--it's more of their responsibility to either share it with you or not. Going back to the NASA example, it clearly states that you cannot access their system without being an authorized user. In addition, if the authorized user gave out his user and password, he is also held accountable. It's also different than 'stumbling' onto a username and password. The user who posted the picture was asked to post it and did so. There was no deception or force used in having that poster post that picture. The poster also didn't say, please don't use this website.

As far as I'm concerned this was all very legal, and there should be no qualms whether or not it was unethical. It was a general website with a general password that is free for everyone to access unless Columbia now decides to tell admitted students that it's for their eyes and for their access only. In addition, on the ASW Columbia should have a warning banner that explicitly states that this website is for admitted students only and if you try to log in as a non-admitted students you may in breach of whatever they deem it is you're breaching.


LOLOLOLOLOL. :lol: :lol: :lol:

TL;DR

I would like to see where it says it was strictly for admitted students.


Hey, buddy. It's called the Admitted Students Website. That was likely your first hint. You can go back to lurking now.

nametaken
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby nametaken » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:13 pm

Anyways, just found on my roommates are both gone for the day, which means another long wait until I can check the mail at 6 PM. I'm hoping some more NYC people report VCEs today so I can retain some hope

User avatar
tempur_three
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tempur_three » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:14 pm

JustE wrote:
tempur_three wrote:I would like to see where it says it was strictly for admitted students. It's not the issue of using a password that we haven't been granted. No where on that website did they have a disclaimer saying it's strictly for admitted students to access. That could cause an interesting dilemma: say that your mother had accessed the student website, was she then 'unauthorized' to do so? Will she be prosecuted to the full extent of the law? No and no.

You make it sound like we are logging into a NASA computer system where the telnet/ssh prompt reads:

This computer system including all related equipment, network devices (specifically
including Internet access), are provided only for authorized use. All computer systems
may be monitored for all lawful purposes, including to ensure that their use is
authorized, for management of the system, to facilitate protection against unauthorized
access, and to verify security procedures, survivability and operational security.
Monitoring includes active attacks by authorized personnel and their entities to test or
verify the security of the system. During monitoring, information may be examined,
recorded, copied and used for authorized purposes. All information including personal
information, placed on or sent over this system may be monitored. Uses of this system,
authorized or unauthorized, constitutes consent to monitoring of this system.
Unauthorized use may subject you to criminal prosecution. Evidence of any such
unauthorized use collected during monitoring may be used for administrative, criminal or
other adverse action. Use of this system constitutes consent to monitoring for these
purposes.

If Columbia had anything like that NASA warning, then I would have never logged in. To me this password was for the general public use released upon the discretion of whomever was admitted. Whether it was a TLS poster who gave you the password, whether it was the admissions department that gave it to you, or whether a distant cousin--it's more of their responsibility to either share it with you or not. Going back to the NASA example, it clearly states that you cannot access their system without being an authorized user. In addition, if the authorized user gave out his user and password, he is also held accountable. It's also different than 'stumbling' onto a username and password. The user who posted the picture was asked to post it and did so. There was no deception or force used in having that poster post that picture. The poster also didn't say, please don't use this website.

As far as I'm concerned this was all very legal, and there should be no qualms whether or not it was unethical. It was a general website with a general password that is free for everyone to access unless Columbia now decides to tell admitted students that it's for their eyes and for their access only. In addition, on the ASW Columbia should have a warning banner that explicitly states that this website is for admitted students only and if you try to log in as a non-admitted students you may in breach of whatever they deem it is you're breaching.


LOLOLOLOLOL. :lol: :lol: :lol:

TL;DR

I would like to see where it says it was strictly for admitted students.


Hey, buddy. It's called the Admitted Students Website. That was likely your first hint. You can go back to lurking now.



I could name a website anything I want,for example, 'JustE MUST ACCESS THIS SITE' and you don't have to access it. Or vice versa, 'JustE cannot access this site' and then you do access it. It's only a title of a site that could imply many things. Again most sites strictly say in a disclaimer for whom this site is accessible. I don't care whether it said Admitted Students Website, that's not enough to say it's only for admitted students to access.

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JustE » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Image

User avatar
tempur_three
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tempur_three » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:23 pm

JustE wrote:Image

Please add this to your summer reading list...


If you can't do any better than post a silly picture that asks me to 'apply common sense' (or something constructive), then I don't see the point of having you say anything at all. I wasn't attacking you, I was attacking your argument. You don't address what I am saying--do you have an issue with being challenged, and must you resort to peevish replies when you could honestly say nothing at all or say something constructive? Is it the problem of having the last word? I don't know what it is, but I know that I can't let someone start talking about unauthorized access without showing proof....

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JustE » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:24 pm

^Have I been trolled?

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nelson » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:25 pm

JustE wrote:^Have I been trolled?

Yup.

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JustE » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:27 pm

Nelson wrote:
JustE wrote:^Have I been trolled?

Yup.


:lol: This thread rocks.

User avatar
tempur_three
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tempur_three » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:32 pm

JustE wrote:^Have I been trolled?


Didn't I just say something about peevish reply or having the last word? Are you going to prove to me how you think it was unauthorized access or do you want to let it drop? I can drop it with the caveat that you stop saying it was unauthorized access (and I will drop my posts about it being OK to access the ASW).

nametaken
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby nametaken » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:36 pm

seriously? can this stop now?

User avatar
thelong
Posts: 992
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelong » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:37 pm

nametaken wrote:seriously? can this stop now?

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:38 pm

tempur_three wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
tempur_three wrote: tl to quote


I'm OK. I wasn't--and am not--stressed out. I just didn't appreciate when you said "hack" because I didn't think the use of that word was apt, and I suspected, at the time you wrote it, that you didn't actually mean it in a geeky, complimentary way (eg that was a cool hack those MIT kids did by putting that car up on that building). Anyway, it's just a hunch, and that's why I responded to your use of the word "hack" in the way I did. If you really meant it as a joke, then I apologize.

1...2...3 take a deep breath. Someone's got their undies in a bunch.

It's really not that serious. They're not going to do anything about it. They're just a bit more protective than say Dean Z. who gets a kick out of the whole situation.


Redacted because I missed all the make it stop posts
Last edited by JoeMo on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JustE » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:39 pm

thelong wrote:
nametaken wrote:seriously? can this stop now?

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:39 pm

tempur_three wrote:
JoeMo wrote:I have an idea, let's call it "backdooring" it. LOL


Backdooring strongly implies to be of an illegal hack. Hackers/crackers install a backdoor into the system to which they gained root-access, so that they could maintain root access covertly in the future. I wouldn't call it anything more than "exploring" and at that "exploring a general-access website."


Redacted because I missed all the make it stop posts
Last edited by JoeMo on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
catwomangirl
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby catwomangirl » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:40 pm

sooooooooo back on topic
anyone get their mail yet?

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:40 pm

curiouscat wrote:WOW it's been crazy here. I haven't gone through everything yet but I just wanted to say CONGRATS to all the new admits!!! I just checked my email and found an acceptance letter as well (sent yesterday, international). So unbelievably excited!


CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I can imagine your excitement since you didn't even know what was going on ITT.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:41 pm

To get this back on track, here's a picture of NYC:

Image
http://www.flickr.com/photos/onesevenone/6745420821/

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:41 pm

Elliott_Smith wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Stop trolling Dean Z in here, she isn't the second coming of Christ. It's nauseating. The ASW page was readily accessible to Michigan applicants, so of course she's going to have a different reaction -- it's a different scenario.


Yep. While I don't think anything else is going to come of this, the Michigan situation was completely different - trying an ID# that you already have to get into an ASW is not the same as using a password you shouldn't have. In the first scenario, you can only get in if you're supposed to be there.


This is true. It's the only similar situation I know of though.

jpal13
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jpal13 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:42 pm

Please please enough on the subject of the website fiasco. Can I get some + 1's on that?

Congrats to all admits!

User avatar
thelong
Posts: 992
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelong » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:42 pm

Okay, we're done now.

Yes?

nametaken
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby nametaken » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:43 pm

jpal13 wrote:Please please enough on the subject of the website fiasco. Can I get some + 1's on that?

Congrats to all admits!


+100000. Agreed! And hopefully more to come today :)

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:43 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Double you tee eff.


hahahahahahah... you consistently make me laugh.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:45 pm

thelong wrote:
nametaken wrote:seriously? can this stop now?


Guilty because I was late to the party. I'll stop too.

User avatar
tempur_three
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tempur_three » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:47 pm

JoeMo wrote:
tempur_three wrote:
JoeMo wrote:I have an idea, let's call it "backdooring" it. LOL


Backdooring strongly implies to be of an illegal hack. Hackers/crackers install a backdoor into the system to which they gained root-access, so that they could maintain root access covertly in the future. I wouldn't call it anything more than "exploring" and at that "exploring a general-access website."


OMFG, so your'e a f-ing computer geek, who cares? Then they circumvented the system. Something was done that should not have been done and we got a slap on the fucking wrist. Shut the fuck up already.

To everyone else, I'm sorry if my language might seem brusque but this is just fucking ridiculous.


I just care about language and how that language applies to me and those who accessed it. You mean to say that we were punished for accessing the site because they changed the password? I don't see that as anything but a move for Columbia to assess the situation and then address it later on (whether that means putting up a warning label or putting responsibility on those who were admitted not to share their passwords in the future). If anything, it hurt the admitted students more than those who weren't admitted because the admitted students cannot use the ASW.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:47 pm

We're moving in the right direction. Here's another picture of the most beautiful city to nudge us more :mrgreen: :

Image
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonpierc ... 752645823/




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”