Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tempur_three

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tempur_three » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:17 am

JoeMo wrote:I have an idea, let's call it "backdooring" it. LOL

Backdooring strongly implies to be of an illegal hack. Hackers/crackers install a backdoor into the system to which they gained root-access, so that they could maintain root access covertly in the future. I wouldn't call it anything more than "exploring" and at that "exploring a general-access website."

catwomangirl

Postby catwomangirl » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:55 am

tempur_three wrote:

Backdooring strongly implies to be of an illegal hack. Hackers/crackers install a backdoor into the system to which they gained root-access, so that they could maintain root access covertly in the future. I wouldn't call it anything more than "exploring" and at that "exploring a general-access website."

Let's call it "accessing website where if record is not found it just means they wanted to gaze into your beautiful application for one day longer before accepting it"

:(
:oops:
:?
:)
:D
:lol:

curiouscat

Postby curiouscat » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:00 am

WOW it's been crazy here. I haven't gone through everything yet but I just wanted to say CONGRATS to all the new admits!!! I just checked my email and found an acceptance letter as well (sent yesterday, international). So unbelievably excited!

jpal13

Postby jpal13 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:12 am

How long does mail take to get from NYC to south Florida?!??!

MachineLemon

Postby MachineLemon » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:14 am

jpal13 wrote:How long does mail take to get from NYC to south Florida?!??!

Not sure. That mail is sent by retiree, so it may easily be forgotten.

Aqualung

Postby Aqualung » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:27 am

MachineLemon wrote:

I laughed quite heartily.

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:35 am

Wow have just now been able to read through the last 15 pages. Congrats to all the first rd admits!! Do we know when ASW is yet?

edit: NVM, just checked the class of 2015 thread and saw that the first is Feb. 29th-March 1st and the second is March 28th-29th

jpal13

Postby jpal13 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:45 am

Aqualung wrote:
MachineLemon wrote:

I laughed quite heartily.

I find that offensive, I'm 62 and just beginning a second life.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:49 am

tempur_three wrote:

Also, the word has strong sexual connotations.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:53 am

JoeMo wrote:
tempur_three wrote: tl to quote

1...2...3 take a deep breath. Someone's got their undies in a bunch.

It's really not that serious. They're not going to do anything about it. They're just a bit more protective than say Dean Z. who gets a kick out of the whole situation.

Stop trolling Dean Z in here, she isn't the second coming of Christ. It's nauseating. The ASW page was readily accessible to Michigan applicants, so of course she's going to have a different reaction -- it's a different scenario.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Stop trolling Dean Z in here, she isn't the second coming of Christ. It's nauseating. The ASW page was readily accessible to Michigan applicants, so of course she's going to have a different reaction -- it's a different scenario.

Yep. While I don't think anything else is going to come of this, the Michigan situation was completely different - trying an ID# that you already have to get into an ASW is not the same as using a password you shouldn't have. In the first scenario, you can only get in if you're supposed to be there.

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:12 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

It's really not that serious. They're not going to do anything about it. They're just a bit more protective than say Dean Z. who gets a kick out of the whole situation.

Stop trolling Dean Z in here, she isn't the second coming of Christ. It's nauseating. The ASW page was readily accessible to Michigan applicants, so of course she's going to have a different reaction -- it's a different scenario.

This.

Columbia's Admitted Student Website is for admitted students. We (most of us) are not admitted students. We logged into the Admitted Student Website even though we had no reason to believe we should be there. We then tried to use our personal data to log into an enrollement decision site to see if we had been admitted.

This is a bit different than the Michigan scenario. The issue here isn't us using the enrollement site to find out our decision. It's us using a password to log into a website that we haven't been granted access to. It's no different than someone finding out login information for any other private site and reading information that was intended for other/authorized individuals...

If you didn't know what you were doing when you did it... Maybe you just should have just waited???...

ETA: Yesterday was a blast. Good times on TLS.
Last edited by JustE on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:15 pm

JustE wrote:
If you didn't know what you were doing when you did it... Maybe you just should have just waited???...

hahahaha

Yes, I definitely don't recall you doing anything ;)

FWIW, I don't think we should be getting in to this again. It seems like Columbia was super classy and didn't make a big deal out of it. Let's move on.

I will now return to spending the next few weeks watching the mailbox.

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:19 pm

Elliott_Smith wrote:
JustE wrote:

hahahaha

FWIW, I don't think we should be getting in to this again. It seems like Columbia was super classy and didn't make a big deal out of it. Let's move on.

PROVE IT! :lol:

I'm glad it's over. I just want people to admit they knew what they were doing when they did it. I knew what I was doing, but didn't think it would be a big deal. Hopefully, it won't turn out to be.
Last edited by JustE on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nametaken

Postby nametaken » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Elliott_Smith wrote:
JustE wrote:

hahahaha

Agreed. I am personally focused on praying that my VCE somehow got delayed a day and will be waiting for me when I get home today. Now I'm kinda regretting not trying to get into the ASW. :?

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:30 pm

Agreed. Not a problem at all. We already covered it. Time to turn our attention back to VCEs!

KRog

Postby KRog » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:36 pm

JoeMo wrote:

I have checked the A2Z blog and don't see anything about this sort of thing.... Does anyone know when this was or have a link?

Anciano

Postby Anciano » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:38 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:Bleh. I wish this whole thing hadn't happened in the first place.

I do to, but I doubt anything will come of it. Nothing happened in bad faith, as far as I know. I think those that tried to get in but failed were under the assumption that the site was similar to Michigan ASW, access to which was known to be completely OK.

Oh, I'm 99% sure there will be no negative consequences that come from this. I more wish this didn't happen because of the mindset it created for me. What ended up going down felt far worse than not getting a VCE would have felt.

Edit: Jam it seems like you and I are having very similar cycles. Why don't schools love us?

high-end splitters gonna split

I was having a PM convo with another person like us about 20 minutes ago.
I think the end of the cycle is when we will really see a ton of movement.
I think I posted this here or in another c/c 2015 thread yesterday:
http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/user ... Cycle=1112

Thanks for that link. Another few hours down the drain.

splbagel

Postby splbagel » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:39 pm

KRog wrote:I have checked the A2Z blog and don't see anything about this sort of thing.... Does anyone know when this was or have a link?

http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z ... 397d820295

As many of our students have told me, given our reluctance until now to post the actual decision status online, it was not uncommon in the past for applicants to try to back-door their way into learning the outcome of their application: once the online status check showed “decision,” some folks would attempt to log into our admitted students website. Because I am a control freak, this made me fret; I wanted people to get the exciting news from the exciting packet I was mailing, not from a singularly lackluster log-in! But I dealt with my anxiety by just ignoring that the practice occurred. Now that we have rendered the practice unnecessary, I thought, for old time’s sake, it would be fun to look at the aggregate data on log-in attempts. And that’s how I learned that there are other people out there whose capacity to spend excessive amounts of time on tasks that others might dispatch quickly, or not engage in at all, rivals my own. Looking only at the data through November 1, I was fascinated to see that, of the 502 people who had tried to access the admitted students site prior to being admitted, 73 did so just once; 273 did so 10 times or more; 50 did so 50 times or more; 6 tried 100 times or more; and one dedicated individual tried 215 times. I promise, though, that I will await the end of the admission season to look up identities. And if Mr./Ms. 215 turns out to be in the entering class, I’m going to present him/her with a customized T-shirt. (Mind you, getting the wording right will probably take me a month or so.)

tempur_three

Postby tempur_three » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:51 pm

JustE wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

This.

Columbia's Admitted Student Website is for admitted students. We (most of us) are not admitted students. We logged into the Admitted Student Website even though we had no reason to believe we should be there. We then tried to use our personal data to log into an enrollement decision site to see if we had been admitted.

This is a bit different than the Michigan scenario. The issue here isn't us using the enrollement site to find out our decision. It's us using a password to log into a website that we haven't been granted access to. It's no different than someone finding out login information for any other private site and reading information that was intended for other/authorized individuals...

ETA: Yesterday was a blast. Good times on TLS.

I would like to see where it says it was strictly for admitted students. It's not the issue of using a password that we haven't been granted. No where on that website did they have a disclaimer saying it's strictly for admitted students to access. That could cause an interesting dilemma: say that your mother had accessed the student website, was she then 'unauthorized' to do so? Will she be prosecuted to the full extent of the law? No and no.

You make it sound like we are logging into a NASA computer system where the telnet/ssh prompt reads:

This computer system including all related equipment, network devices (specifically
including Internet access), are provided only for authorized use. All computer systems
may be monitored for all lawful purposes, including to ensure that their use is
authorized, for management of the system, to facilitate protection against unauthorized
access, and to verify security procedures, survivability and operational security.
Monitoring includes active attacks by authorized personnel and their entities to test or
verify the security of the system. During monitoring, information may be examined,
recorded, copied and used for authorized purposes. All information including personal
information, placed on or sent over this system may be monitored. Uses of this system,
authorized or unauthorized, constitutes consent to monitoring of this system.
Unauthorized use may subject you to criminal prosecution. Evidence of any such
unauthorized use collected during monitoring may be used for administrative, criminal or
other adverse action. Use of this system constitutes consent to monitoring for these
purposes.

If Columbia had anything like that NASA warning, then I would have never logged in. To me this password was for the general public use released upon the discretion of whomever was admitted. Whether it was a TLS poster who gave you the password, whether it was the admissions department that gave it to you, or whether a distant cousin--it's more of their responsibility to either share it with you or not. Going back to the NASA example, it clearly states that you cannot access their system without being an authorized user. In addition, if the authorized user gave out his user and password, he is also held accountable. It's also different than 'stumbling' onto a username and password. The user who posted the picture was asked to post it and did so. There was no deception or force used in having that poster post that picture. The poster also didn't say, please don't use this website.

As far as I'm concerned this was all very legal, and there should be no qualms whether or not it was unethical. It was a general website with a general password that is free for everyone to access unless Columbia now decides to tell admitted students that it's for their eyes and for their access only. In addition, on the ASW Columbia should have a warning banner that explicitly states that this website is for admitted students only and if you try to log in as a non-admitted students you may in breach of whatever they deem it is you're breaching.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:53 pm

Lol slow down pal were not in law school yet

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:55 pm

Double you tee eff.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:56 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Double you tee eff.

LMAO, this.

MikeTheWilliams

Postby MikeTheWilliams » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:56 pm

Relaaaaaax. The AdCom clearly didn't think that the password would be shared and when they found that it was, they addressed the problem. It's done. Move on.

lilhmoney

Postby lilhmoney » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:58 pm

I just think all of you are so fun. I can't wait to bond with you over pizza and anxiety attacks at 2am in the library next year. Anyway, has anyone gotten his or her mail yet today?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”