Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JamMasterJ

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:02 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I just started looking around at Morningside and UWS. Is it possible to commute from the UWS to CLS?
(obv only if Columbia actually lets me in!!)

Yes, Morningside is just north of the UWS. You can take the 1 line.

ETA: My guess is that Columbia housing may be cheaper, however, since they own a handful of buildings in MH and subsidize the costs. UWS is sort of a 'new money' location, so it would probably be very difficult to find affordable housing there (unless you're okay with a 2-3k studio). You could, of course, look North or East of campus, but you'd want to be more careful with that.

is hotpads messed up, because I'm seeing stuff for under 2K, even a 2-bed for 1,800?

catwomangirl

Postby catwomangirl » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:04 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I just started looking around at Morningside and UWS. Is it possible to commute from the UWS to CLS?

ETA: My guess is that Columbia housing may be cheaper, however, since they own a handful of buildings in MH and subsidize the costs. UWS is sort of a 'new money' location, so it would probably be very difficult to find affordable housing there (unless you're okay with a 2-3k studio). You could, of course, look North or East of campus, but you'd want to be more careful with that.

is hotpads messed up, because I'm seeing stuff for under 2K, even a 2-bed for 1,800?

There's probably a bathtub in the kitchen.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:05 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:

Keep in mind that the NY apartment/housing market is a lot different than most (or all) cities in the country. A lot of the online listings are going to be bogus. Unless you're using a broker (fees are generally 10-15% of one year's rent), you're going to want to physically check out all of the listings.

For the UWS, I'd expect a minimum of 2.5-3k for 1BR.

Edit: And if you're looking into housing for NYU as well, I'd take a look at the Prospect Heights/Park Slopes region in Brooklyn -- that is, if you don't plan on living in the village. Commute should be ~30 minutes on the subway, and a monthly metro card will run you ~$100.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:15 pm

Consider me officially freaked out by this Jam to the UWS talk.

catwomangirl

Postby catwomangirl » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:19 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Consider me officially freaked out by this Jam to the UWS talk.

Don't worry. Columbia housing is heavily HEAVILY subsidized. I wasn't joking about the bathtub in the kitchen, though. I've looked at apartments with a bathtub in the kitchen in that price range on UWS.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:21 pm

catwomangirl wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Consider me officially freaked out by this Jam to the UWS talk.

Don't worry. Columbia housing is heavily HEAVILY subsidized. I wasn't joking about the bathtub in the kitchen, though. I've looked at apartments with a bathtub in the kitchen in that price range on UWS.

Haha that wasn't what freaked me out. I'm well aware of the adjustment required to move from normal human living arrangements to NYC.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:32 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
catwomangirl wrote:

Haha that wasn't what freaked me out. I'm well aware of the adjustment required to move from normal human living arrangements to NYC.

I mean, now that I'm RD, I guess it's open season, and my fiancee is much more comfortable with moving to New York than she was previously.

ETA: plus, after researching CLS and some of the prof's that my My Columbia pointed me too, there are some really interesting opportunities that I could fall in love with there.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:41 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:I mean, now that I'm RD, I guess it's open season, and my fiancee is much more comfortable with moving to New York than she was previously.

ETA: plus, after researching CLS and some of the prof's that my My Columbia pointed me too, there are some really interesting opportunities that I could fall in love with there.

She's starting to open her eyes to the fact that NYC is the greatest city :lol:

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:43 pm

While I would be out of my mind excited if Jam got CLS, I'd have a pang of regret that I'd never get to see him in Chi/AA.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:53 pm

Wait...Jam...are you looking for places in Manhattan just for fun? Or did you get into a NY school?

Sorry I'm stupid =(.

addy11

Postby addy11 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:58 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:

Keep in mind that the NY apartment/housing market is a lot different than most (or all) cities in the country. A lot of the online listings are going to be bogus. Unless you're using a broker (fees are generally 10-15% of one year's rent), you're going to want to physically check out all of the listings.

For the UWS, I'd expect a minimum of 2.5-3k for 1BR.

Edit: And if you're looking into housing for NYU as well, I'd take a look at the Prospect Heights/Park Slopes region in Brooklyn -- that is, if you don't plan on living in the village. Commute should be ~30 minutes on the subway, and a monthly metro card will run you ~$100.

Don't get too freaked out, all. I have a friend in a 1 BR in a doorman building one block from the express stop in the UWS. She pays $2,100, and hers is certainly not bare bones (for NYC, at least).

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:06 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Wait...Jam...are you looking for places in Manhattan just for fun? Or did you get into a NY school?

Sorry I'm stupid =(.

no, still haven't gotten in anywhere :(

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:11 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:Wait...Jam...are you looking for places in Manhattan just for fun? Or did you get into a NY school?

Sorry I'm stupid =(.

Good luck to you then! I'm sure that killer LSAT score is gonna pay off.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:30 pm

I'm really starting to believe that they're waiting on December LSAT scores to make decisions on the remaining (marginal??) ED candidates.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:43 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Sorry I'm stupid =(.

Good luck to you then! I'm sure that killer LSAT score is gonna pay off.

Thanks! I would really like to get into a law school at some point soon :P
I would really like that school to be CLS :mrgreen:

notchandlerbing

Postby notchandlerbing » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:06 pm

Does anyone know how long it takes after a fall grades request to get a decision? Also, should probably mention that I am ED.

unknownnumbers

Postby unknownnumbers » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:43 pm

notchandlerbing wrote:Does anyone know how long it takes after a fall grades request to get a decision? Also, should probably mention that I am ED.
notchandlerbing wrote:Does anyone know how long it takes after a fall grades request to get a decision? Also, should probably mention that I am ED.

I got a grade request on December 18th. I had my hard copy transcript in on December 22nd and a decision on December 29th. That was during a week with a number of office closures and it took a week.

unknownnumbers

Postby unknownnumbers » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:48 pm

Columbia housing is pretty reasonable. Most of the housing is in morningside within a few blocks of campus. Average rent for a bedroom in a 2-4 bedroom unfurnished apartment (with oven and fridge) is 950. Average rent for a furnished apartment is 975.

notchandlerbing

Postby notchandlerbing » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:51 pm

unknownnumbers wrote:

I got a grade request on December 18th. I had my hard copy transcript in on December 22nd and a decision on December 29th. That was during a week with a number of office closures and it took a week.

Thanks! Hopefully it won't be much longer than a week for me either...

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:17 am

I've basically planned my whole life with the presumption that I get into Columbia. Someone tell me that it will all be ok when they start releasing decisions. :cry:

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:21 am

Still no grade request, let's hope that doesn't mean anything come the end of January :D

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:23 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:I've basically planned my whole life with the presumption that I get into Columbia. Someone tell me that it will all be ok when they start releasing decisions. :cry:

lol. i did that before i heard from NYU and it turned out okay. It will turn out well for you too!

HP, I'm jealous you didn't get a grade request, I hate requesting transcripts/paying for them.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:26 am

snehpets wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:I've basically planned my whole life with the presumption that I get into Columbia. Someone tell me that it will all be ok when they start releasing decisions. :cry:

lol. i did that before i heard from NYU and it turned out okay. It will turn out well for you too!

HP, I'm jealous you didn't get a grade request, I hate requesting transcripts/paying for them.

Hahaha, that's definitely a plus.

And +1, ever since I got into NYU, I've become really calm about the whole process. I would love to get CLS as well, and I would go insane if I somehow snagged YHS, but I would be very happy at NYU. Just be patient, we've got a few weeks before decisions roll out!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:29 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
snehpets wrote:

Hahaha, that's definitely a plus.

And +1, ever since I got into NYU, I've become really calm about the whole process. I would love to get CLS as well, and I would go insane if I somehow snagged YHS, but I would be very happy at NYU. Just be patient, we've got a few weeks before decisions roll out!

I can agree with this, although only about 1/50th of my life has been spent expecting Columbia

addy11

Postby addy11 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:31 am

Listen, you seem like a good, friendly guy, so I want you to know that this is not coming from a place of anger, but you need to chill. the fuck. out. You have amazing stats (yes, even for Columbia!), yet you seem to abandon all hope for certain schools multiple times per day. It's not healthy! I mean, they haven't even started letting in RD people for crying out loud. No need to lose your shit just yet.

Deep breaths. You will have an amazing cycle. It's more likely than not that it will include a Columbia acceptance, and if it doesn't you will likely have whatever success and happiness you would have had without it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”