Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
addy11

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby addy11 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:23 pm

mickeyD wrote:In her chances thread she says she's "Hispanic," so likely non-URM Hispanic. Still, the boost exists, and like TDW said, those numbers should be a lock anyway.

Really? I also think it's surprising that she didn't get in, but she's not autoadmit with those numbers (I didn't think the term applied to the t6). No need to freak the poor girl out and make her think her LORs or essays had something wrong with them!

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:42 pm

addy11 wrote:
mickeyD wrote:In her chances thread she says she's "Hispanic," so likely non-URM Hispanic. Still, the boost exists, and like TDW said, those numbers should be a lock anyway.

Really? I also think it's surprising that she didn't get in, but she's not autoadmit with those numbers (I didn't think the term applied to the t6). No need to freak the poor girl out and make her think her LORs or essays had something wrong with them!

If you're some sort of a URM with those numbers AND you ED, those numbers are a lock at Columbia, IMO. She shouldn't freak out but maybe she could shed light on her application. Is there something that is/could be potentially wrong with her app?

Edit: I mean, come on, those numbers + URM stat are almost auto-admit at Harvard. No?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:05 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
addy11 wrote:

If you're some sort of a URM with those numbers AND you ED, those numbers are a lock at Columbia, IMO. She shouldn't freak out but maybe she could shed light on her application. Is there something that is/could be potentially wrong with her app?

Edit: I mean, come on, those numbers + URM stat are almost auto-admit at Harvard. No?

I don't think she is a URM, but those numbers are fairly close to a lock. Well above both medians for Columbia, and right at the Harvard medians (assuming she isn't rounding up.) I wouldn't freak out too much though, as there are people who got into Harvard but not Columbia with those numbers. It does happen. Not to mention the other great schools and scholarships that should be coming her way.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/goodpupil/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/LastMinuteGuy/jd

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:12 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
I don't think she is a URM, but those numbers are fairly close to a lock. Well above both medians for Columbia, and right at the Harvard medians (assuming she isn't rounding up.) I wouldn't freak out too much though, as there are people who got into Harvard but not Columbia with those numbers. It does happen. Not to mention the other great schools and scholarships that should be coming her way.

Wow, those people had weird cycles. I always wish I could see those applications. In any case, I agree about not freaking out. Even those people with weird cycles got into NYU (the poster's other top choice) and they haven't started releasing decisions on late November applicants anyway (OP said that's when they submitted).

addy11

Postby addy11 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:16 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
addy11 wrote:

Sorry, I was going under the assumption that she was non-URM. If URM, then yes, almost certainly in at Harvard and Stanford, and as competitive as one can be at that black box we know as YLS.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:24 pm

snehpets wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Wow, those people had weird cycles. I always wish I could see those applications. In any case, I agree about not freaking out. Even those people with weird cycles got into NYU (the poster's other top choice) and they haven't started releasing decisions on late November applicants anyway (OP said that's when they submitted).

I don't think those 2 examples were all that weird. goodpupil's app was just very very late and so it made sense he got a lot of waitlists.

LMG's app was also kind of late-ish, and considering how he was out of school for 4 yrs, maybe he had bad or nonexistent LOR...this coupled with a bad PS or bad resume or criminal record could have accounted for his cycle.

Overall, I'm just saying that even if she wasnt a URM, her numbers, coupled with the fact that she ED'd to CLS, should have made her a lock.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:33 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
snehpets wrote:

I don't think those 2 examples were all that weird. goodpupil's app was just very very late and so it made sense he got a lot of waitlists.

LMG's app was also kind of late-ish, and considering how he was out of school for 4 yrs, maybe he had bad or nonexistent LOR...this coupled with a bad PS or bad resume or criminal record could have accounted for his cycle.

Overall, I'm just saying that even if she wasnt a URM, her numbers, coupled with the fact that she ED'd to CLS, should have made her a lock.

Oh yeah, didn't think to look at the submit dates. That makes sense. Guess we'll see. Good luck OP!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:04 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
snehpets wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Kbarbosa08

Postby Kbarbosa08 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:10 pm

Well I was actually surprised with the decisions but I do have 2 w's on my transcript bc I was changing majors I'm thinking of submitting an adendum explaining that with my LOCI and maybe another LOR. But I am definitely worried my LORS may not have been good, I didn't read them though and I used the same for all schools so I'm very nervous. Anyway nothing I can do about it now I'm just hoping that's not the case and Columbia is just having a weird cycle this year, maybe weird enough for an Ed-deferral then admit? Lol.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:12 pm

Kbarbosa08 wrote:Well I was actually surprised with the decisions but I do have 2 w's on my transcript bc I was changing majors I'm thinking of submitting an adendum explaining that with my LOCI and maybe another LOR. But I am definitely worried my LORS may not have been good, I didn't read them though and I used the same for all schools so I'm very nervous. Anyway nothing I can do about it now I'm just hoping that's not the case and Columbia is just having a weird cycle this year, maybe weird enough for an Ed-deferral then admit? Lol.

Could you pm me what minority you are, if you dont mind?

I can guess from your name but I don't want to out you

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:08 pm

Kbarbosa08 wrote:Well I was actually surprised with the decisions but I do have 2 w's on my transcript bc I was changing majors I'm thinking of submitting an adendum explaining that with my LOCI and maybe another LOR. But I am definitely worried my LORS may not have been good, I didn't read them though and I used the same for all schools so I'm very nervous. Anyway nothing I can do about it now I'm just hoping that's not the case and Columbia is just having a weird cycle this year, maybe weird enough for an Ed-deferral then admit? Lol.

I highly, highly doubt any school is going to care about 2 Ws.

Kbarbosa08

Postby Kbarbosa08 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:14 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:

I thought the same but I guess it can't hurt, other than that and my LORS idk why could have gone wrong. Bc my PS may not have been amazing but i had it reviewed by many people and received very positive feedback.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:17 pm

Kbarbosa08 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:

I thought the same but I guess it can't hurt, other than that and my LORS idk why could have gone wrong. Bc my PS may not have been amazing but i had it reviewed by many people and received very positive feedback.

How's your resume? basic stuff like internships or....a lot of empty space?

Kbarbosa08

Postby Kbarbosa08 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:35 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
Kbarbosa08 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:

I was captain of the soccer team so I couldn't work during the year but I had one summer job at a law firm otherwise I just coached little kids. Not great but I hoped they'd understand how demanding college athletics is esp. With regards to work and stuff.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:37 pm

Kbarbosa08 wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

I was captain of the soccer team so I couldn't work during the year but I had one summer job at a law firm otherwise I just coached little kids. Not great but I hoped they'd understand how demanding college athletics is esp. With regards to work and stuff.

You're seriously a good sport for putting up with all of us analyzing your application. I'm sure it was just a weird fluke. ED seems weird at several schools this year. Pulling for you to get acceptances soon!

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:37 pm

snehpets wrote:
Kbarbosa08 wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

You're seriously a good sport for putting up with all of us analyzing your application. I'm sure it was just a weird fluke. ED seems weird at several schools this year. Pulling for you to get acceptances soon!

agreed, this coming from a fellow ncaa athlete

Kbarbosa08

Postby Kbarbosa08 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:39 pm

snehpets wrote:
Kbarbosa08 wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

Haha hey if any info I put out there helps anyone then it makes me feel better lol

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:35 pm

I'm guessing he/she's Brazilian.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:36 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:I'm guessing he/she's Brazilian.

That was my guess as well.

In any event, it might be a blessing in disguise. She has auto-admit numbers, so she may have avoided paying sticker or missing out on HYS when she didn't need to.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:45 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:In any event, it might be a blessing in disguise. She has auto-admit numbers, so she may have avoided paying sticker or missing out on HYS when she didn't need to.

Agreed.

OP, there was someone in another thread who got deferred from Penn and got into NYU RD. Keep your head up.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:40 am

snehpets wrote:
Kbarbosa08 wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

yeah, it seems like Michigan is a great ED, but everywhere else is weird. I wonder whether they will be taking people from the ED WL later in larger numbers than when ED acceptances/denials/WLs are more cut and dry. In the Chicago thread, someone mentioned that they probably just didn't want to have such a large portion of the class filled this early, especially with no one knowing how the medians are going to shake out with the lower applicant numbers

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:39 am

I just wanted to pop in and say congrats to all of those who have already gotten in, and good luck to those waiting for acceptances next month!

I applied last cycle, and I am currently a 1L at CLS. CLS is an absolutely incredible place, and if any of you have any questions on applications, the school, or any practical matters like housing or anything else, feel free to PM me (I get notifications of that in my email, and I don't check TLS enough anymore to keep up with many questions in-thread).

Again, best of luck to all still waiting. This process will be over before you know it!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:47 pm

I just started looking around at Morningside and UWS. Is it possible to commute from the UWS to CLS?
(obv only if Columbia actually lets me in!!)

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:52 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:I just started looking around at Morningside and UWS. Is it possible to commute from the UWS to CLS?

Yes, Morningside is just north of the UWS. You can take the 1 line.

ETA: My guess is that Columbia housing may be cheaper, however, since they own a handful of buildings in MH and subsidize the costs. UWS is sort of a 'new money' location, so it would probably be very difficult to find affordable housing there (unless you're okay with a 2-3k studio). You could, of course, look North or East of campus, but you'd want to be more careful with that.

catwomangirl

Postby catwomangirl » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:59 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I just started looking around at Morningside and UWS. Is it possible to commute from the UWS to CLS?

Yes, Morningside is just north of the UWS. You can take the 1 line.

ETA: My guess is that Columbia housing may be cheaper, however, since they own a handful of buildings in MH and subsidize the costs. UWS is sort of a 'new money' location, so it would probably be very difficult to find affordable housing there (unless you're okay with a 2-3k studio). You could, of course, look North or East of campus, but you'd want to be more careful with that.

North of campus the safest options are Washington Heights and Inwood (west of Broadway for both).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”