Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby KevinP » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:24 pm

EMZE wrote:So, since is it really APRIL when they review our applications again? Isn't that pretty much at or near many other schools deadlines for initial deposits? Or do they say april as a backstop more so than as when they are really going to take a look?

FWIW I am going to email them tonight and hope for a response soon (tomorrow) as to what is realistic. It would just seem that to apply early in ED, expressing paramount interest, and then to be considered only after 95% of the class is filled would be.. I don't know... unfair to a degree that is beyond what other schools deferrals set one up for (i.e. Cornell says February I think)

To be honest, it won't matter much (unless this cycle turns out to be an anomaly). A deferral at Columbia has always been a "soft" rejection. Browsing older threads, I couldn't find a single person who got accepted after a deferral.

suspicious android wrote:Where the hell is my deferall??

After careful consideration of your application for admission, we regret to inform you that we can not give you a deferral at this time. The application pool that was already deferred was among the most highly qualified in the history of the program.

User avatar
Shooter
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Shooter » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:29 pm

Kbarbosa08 wrote:Deferred today. 173/3.9 as many have said I will be kicking myself if I don't get into nyu rd since I definitely want to go to school in NYC. Pretty much no hope for an acceptance from Columbia as previous years indicate :( good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to those already in!


I don't wanna jinx you, but I think you have a really good shot at NYU!

Also, I don't blame you for wanting to go to law school in New York. I just spent a month and a half up there for my job and it was incredible.

Good luck!

User avatar
suspicious android
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby suspicious android » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:04 am

KevinP wrote:After careful consideration of your application for admission, we regret to inform you that we can not give you a deferral at this time. The application pool that was already deferred was among the most highly qualified in the history of the program.


Yeah, probably a straight out rejection. For the best anyway, I didn't want the ED acceptance to interfere with my KB1 invitation that is surely coming any day now.

User avatar
Take Two
Posts: 552
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:30 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Take Two » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:39 am

suspicious android wrote:
KevinP wrote:After careful consideration of your application for admission, we regret to inform you that we can not give you a deferral at this time. The application pool that was already deferred was among the most highly qualified in the history of the program.


Yeah, probably a straight out rejection. For the best anyway, I didn't want the ED acceptance to interfere with my KB1 invitation that is surely coming any day now.


there's the spirit! :D

User avatar
smokeylarue
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby smokeylarue » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:39 am

Shooter wrote:
Kbarbosa08 wrote:Deferred today. 173/3.9 as many have said I will be kicking myself if I don't get into nyu rd since I definitely want to go to school in NYC. Pretty much no hope for an acceptance from Columbia as previous years indicate :( good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to those already in!


I don't wanna jinx you, but I think you have a really good shot at NYU!

Also, I don't blame you for wanting to go to law school in New York. I just spent a month and a half up there for my job and it was incredible.

Good luck!


How the hell were you deferred with a 173/3.9? Those are YHS numbers! You are a shoo-in for NYU though.

roserdozer
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby roserdozer » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:02 pm

+1 if ED and still waiting...

Should we call if it gets close to 5p and we still haven't heard?

User avatar
username08
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:10 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby username08 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:08 pm

roserdozer wrote:+1 if ED and still waiting...

Should we call if it gets close to 5p and we still haven't heard?


+1

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby boosk » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:15 pm

.

User avatar
username08
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:10 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby username08 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:08 pm

Deferred. 172/3.81/still in undergrad.

Disappointed but far from dejected. Good luck to all the RDers!

roserdozer
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby roserdozer » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Also deferred at 3:05 PM. 172/3.58 in undergrad.

User avatar
suspicious android
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby suspicious android » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:36 pm

condolences on the deferalls.. deferrals, however you spell that.

Still waiting. I literally just checked my spam box for anything from Columbia I might have missed.

bluthbanana
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bluthbanana » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:40 pm

Deferred after grades request. Would've preferred getting this news two weeks ago.

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:18 pm

Kbarbosa08 wrote:Deferred today. 173/3.9 as many have said I will be kicking myself if I don't get into nyu rd since I definitely want to go to school in NYC. Pretty much no hope for an acceptance from Columbia as previous years indicate :( good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to those already in!


If YOU were deferred...then what are the rest of us going to do? Jeez.

Got into NYU RD with less stellar numbers for what it's worth. Good luck!

User avatar
Killingly
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Killingly » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:23 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Kbarbosa08 wrote:Deferred today. 173/3.9 as many have said I will be kicking myself if I don't get into nyu rd since I definitely want to go to school in NYC. Pretty much no hope for an acceptance from Columbia as previous years indicate :( good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to those already in!


If YOU were deferred...then what are the rest of us going to do? Jeez.

Got into NYU RD with less stellar numbers for what it's worth. Good luck!


Didn't you also get Harvard? If so, your numbers must be pretty fine.

I gave up on Columbia long ago.

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:38 pm

Killingly wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Kbarbosa08 wrote:Deferred today. 173/3.9 as many have said I will be kicking myself if I don't get into nyu rd since I definitely want to go to school in NYC. Pretty much no hope for an acceptance from Columbia as previous years indicate :( good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to those already in!


If YOU were deferred...then what are the rest of us going to do? Jeez.

Got into NYU RD with less stellar numbers for what it's worth. Good luck!


Didn't you also get Harvard? If so, your numbers must be pretty fine.

I gave up on Columbia long ago.


Nah no Harvard for me =[. I'm >171 and >3.8. Pretty good. Not stellar.

User avatar
agagag
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby agagag » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:13 pm

in on friday ED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3.8 with a 173 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:26 pm

agagag wrote:in on friday ED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3.8 with a 173 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Congrats bro! Just a quick question, if you don't mind: You're above both medians, was there anything in your background that made you ED to Columbia? You had better than a decent shot without ED...

Just trying to gauge to see if I made the correct choice by RDing.

User avatar
agagag
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby agagag » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:11 pm

thanks! i did ED because columbia was my clear #1 choice and because my degree was not from an especially good college, although I had a high GPA. Good luck to u!

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby KevinP » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:28 am

suspicious android wrote:Yeah, probably a straight out rejection.

Can't give up just yet, my friend. Considering it is already January, have you heard anything back?

suspicious android wrote:For the best anyway, I didn't want the ED acceptance to interfere with my KB1 invitation that is surely coming any day now.

That makes two of us :D

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:33 am

Kbarbosa08 wrote:Deferred today. 173/3.9 as many have said I will be kicking myself if I don't get into nyu rd since I definitely want to go to school in NYC. Pretty much no hope for an acceptance from Columbia as previous years indicate :( good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to those already in!

You know what's even weirder than you not getting in with those stats...you not getting in and you are a URM :shock:

User avatar
mickeyD
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mickeyD » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:41 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
Kbarbosa08 wrote:Deferred today. 173/3.9 as many have said I will be kicking myself if I don't get into nyu rd since I definitely want to go to school in NYC. Pretty much no hope for an acceptance from Columbia as previous years indicate :( good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to those already in!

You know what's even weirder than you not getting in with those stats...you not getting in and you are a URM :shock:


Her deferral will be a blessing when she gets in at Harvard and Stanford.

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:47 pm

mickeyD wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:
Kbarbosa08 wrote:Deferred today. 173/3.9 as many have said I will be kicking myself if I don't get into nyu rd since I definitely want to go to school in NYC. Pretty much no hope for an acceptance from Columbia as previous years indicate :( good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to those already in!

You know what's even weirder than you not getting in with those stats...you not getting in and you are a URM :shock:


Her deferral will be a blessing when she gets in at Harvard and Stanford.

you know, i hope so for her sake..but i cant help but feel she made some sort of mistake with her app. Maybe bad LOR's or something. I mean, those numbers should be a lock for CLS regularly. But she applied ED and she's a URM. Something is not right here...something is very not right.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15488
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:44 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
mickeyD wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:
Kbarbosa08 wrote:Deferred today. 173/3.9 as many have said I will be kicking myself if I don't get into nyu rd since I definitely want to go to school in NYC. Pretty much no hope for an acceptance from Columbia as previous years indicate :( good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to those already in!

You know what's even weirder than you not getting in with those stats...you not getting in and you are a URM :shock:


Her deferral will be a blessing when she gets in at Harvard and Stanford.

you know, i hope so for her sake..but i cant help but feel she made some sort of mistake with her app. Maybe bad LOR's or something. I mean, those numbers should be a lock for CLS regularly. But she applied ED and she's a URM. Something is not right here...something is very not right.


Could be a flame, or "ethnic minority" might not be a URM in this case. Either way, if it isn't a flame, wow.

User avatar
mickeyD
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mickeyD » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:04 pm

In her chances thread she says she's "Hispanic," so likely non-URM Hispanic. Still, the boost exists, and like TDW said, those numbers should be a lock anyway.

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby EMZE » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:21 pm

I hear federal convictions can hurt a 4.0/180 applicant as well...

Ya never know.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”