Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thestillpoint

Bronze

Re: Columbia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by thestillpoint » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:19 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Out of the people still waiting, how many you went to Ivy/Top 20ish schools? I'm wondering if that might reveal a pattern.
I did (Ivy). Applied end of October, silence.

Aqua

New

Post by Aqua » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:24 pm

why on earth has columbia put january applicants on hold before responding to FALL applicants? the undergrad institution explanation is an interesting possibility, but isn't a complete explanation. any ideas?

erikjc

Bronze

Post by erikjc » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:29 pm

What is the actual theory about the undergrad institution? I didn't think that was much of a factor.

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:32 pm

Last edited by smaug_ on Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greenandgold

Bronze

Post by Greenandgold » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:34 pm

hibiki wrote:
Aqua wrote:why on earth has columbia put january applicants on hold before responding to FALL applicants? the undergrad institution explanation is an interesting possibility, but isn't a complete explanation. any ideas?
I'm wondering if we (the silents) are a bit of a bimodal group. There seems to be a number who have HYS numbers and a number of us who are on the cusp of the LSN yellow/green divide. So, perhaps this is a strong way to protect yield while also protecting the 75th percentile GPA/LSAT line. Just like the holds, we're probably a group that Columbia is afraid to admit outright because of the way we impact those factors. Therefore, I don't think we are any more (or less) solid than the current holds. We're proto-holds.

That, or maybe my small white envelope large yellow envelope really did just get lost in the mail. :)
FTFY

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sailboat

Bronze

Post by sailboat » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:40 pm

hibiki wrote:
Aqua wrote:why on earth has columbia put january applicants on hold before responding to FALL applicants? the undergrad institution explanation is an interesting possibility, but isn't a complete explanation. any ideas?
I'm wondering if we (the silents) are a bit of a bimodal group. There seems to be a number who have HYS numbers and a number of us who are on the cusp of the LSN yellow/green divide. So, perhaps this is a strong way to protect yield while also protecting the 75th percentile GPA/LSAT line. Just like the holds, we're probably a group that Columbia is afraid to admit outright because of the way we impact those factors. Therefore, I don't think we are any more (or less) solid than the current holds. We're proto-holds.

That, or maybe my small white envelope really did just get lost in the mail. :)
+1

Also, to chime in, I went to an Ivy and have heard nothing... submitted end of October. And I'm in at Harvard.

zworykin

Bronze

Post by zworykin » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:45 pm

Still haven't heard anything since going complete in October, and I most definitely did not attend an Ivy.

Aqua

New

Post by Aqua » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:47 pm

sailboat wrote:
hibiki wrote:Also, to chime in, I went to an Ivy and have heard nothing... submitted end of October. And I'm in at Harvard.
The bimodal explanation makes sense. People in at Harvard: no offense to columbia, but why consider columbia when u have HARVARD? how much merit aid/nyc perks make columbia>harvard?

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:48 pm

Aqua wrote:The bimodal explanation makes sense. People in at Harvard: no offense to columbia, but why consider columbia when u have HARVARD? how much merit aid/nyc perks make columbia>harvard?
Harvard vs. Columbia is NOT, in any way shape or form, a done deal. There are plenty of reasons to pick Columbia over Harvard, especially if you get more money from CLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:56 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Out of the people still waiting, how many you went to Ivy/Top 20ish schools? I'm wondering if that might reveal a pattern.
definitely not.

Is anyone in the no response group thinking about sending a LOCI?

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:59 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
definitely not.

I have a better idea: Crash ASD tomorrow, sleep with a professor, get him/her to call the admissions offce. Enjoy the next three years at Columbia.
Disclaimer: In some cases, there might be a necessary additional step between steps 2 and 3 - blackmail said professor with photographic evidence of mischief.

Aqua

New

Post by Aqua » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:01 pm

hypothalamus wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
definitely not.

I have a better idea: Crash ASD tomorrow, sleep with a professor, get him/her to call the admissions offce. Enjoy the next three years at Columbia.
Disclaimer: In some cases, there might be a necessary additional step between steps 2 and 3 - blackmail said professor with photographic evidence of mischief.
Somehow I feel my chances of success on this plan>waiting out the hold. See lsat score.

Byzantine

Bronze

Post by Byzantine » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:02 pm

hypothalamus wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
definitely not.

Brilliant. Is it possible for a straight guy to do something like this, or do we have to resort to other methods?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:04 pm

Byzantine wrote: I have a better idea: Crash ASD tomorrow, sleep with a professor, get him/her to call the admissions offce. Enjoy the next three years at Columbia.

Brilliant. Is it possible for a straight guy to do something like this, or do we have to resort to other methods?
Byz, there are plenty of female professors at Columbia! Just take your pick and enact the self-help plan outlined above :D

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:06 pm

Well, ask and you shall receive. Just got an e-mail. Placed on reserve today.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:07 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:Well, ask and you shall receive. Just got an e-mail. Placed on reserve today.
Until I read your second sentence I thought you had tried the "sleep with a professor" tactic.

Sorry to hear it.

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:12 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:Well, ask and you shall receive. Just got an e-mail. Placed on reserve today.
Until I read your second sentence I thought you had tried the "sleep with a professor" tactic.

Sorry to hear it.
Lulz. If I'm gonna sleep with an old, wrinkly prof it will be purely because I want the sexy times and not because I want something out of it (unless that something is Stanford). Meh. It would have been nice to get Columbia but I'm not too upset about it. Probably going to withdraw soon. Although it appears that Columbia doesn't take many candidates from the reserve list so maybe that won't really help anyone who really wants Columbia. Good luck to everyone still waiting. I share your pain, but today at least - no news is good news for y'all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

potl

Bronze

Post by potl » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:16 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
It probably won't hurt, particularly if you have something worthwhile to add.

poe

Bronze

Post by poe » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:19 pm

countercouper wrote:I was held by Columbia and admitted to Harvard and Yale last week. A hold at Columbia doesn't predict a thing.
What about reserve? Has anyone on the reserve list had any luck at HYS? I'm thinking I should give up on my S dreams after a soft reject from C.

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:23 pm

poe wrote:
countercouper wrote:I was held by Columbia and admitted to Harvard and Yale last week. A hold at Columbia doesn't predict a thing.
What about reserve? Has anyone on the reserve list had any luck at HYS? I'm thinking I should give up on my S dreams after a soft reject from C.
Are you on the reserve list? Your stats are too bonkers for that...

semantic

New

Post by semantic » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:15 pm

edit
Last edited by semantic on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:17 pm

semantic wrote:Is Columbia responsible for the most pain this application season? (Is there another school's thread that would make me feel better)
idk, the people in the harvard thread get pretty freaking maudlin.

poe

Bronze

Post by poe » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:24 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
poe wrote:
Are you on the reserve list? Your stats are too bonkers for that...
Yeah, I was reserved yesterday. Pretty disappointing - I was expecting a hold.

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:28 pm

snehpets wrote:
semantic wrote:Is Columbia responsible for the most pain this application season? (Is there another school's thread that would make me feel better)
Yeah but people who have a legit shot at Harvard but don't get in will be fine in the end no matter what. People who have a legit shot at Columbia but don't get in will have to settle for TTT. It's pretty much get in or die in this thread.
poe wrote:Yeah, I was reserved yesterday. Pretty disappointing - I was expecting a hold.
Damn bro, sorry to hear that. Can you think of a reason why they reserved you though? It seems REALLY odd.

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:33 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
snehpets wrote:
Yeah but people who have a legit shot at Harvard but don't get in will be fine in the end no matter what. People who have a legit shot at Columbia but don't get in will have to settle for TTT. It's pretty much get in or die in this thread.
you're right, NYU, Chicago, Michigan, Penn, etc. are all super TTT...

In any case, I was referring to the tone in there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”