Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dany

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Dany » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:20 pm

foxylaxy wrote:I'm from Chicago, but never lived near UChicago. What's nearby for public transport and how late/often to they run?

Just to elaborate a bit on Xifeng's answer, the 170, 171, and 172 buses run routes around Hyde Park, and they are free for UChicago students. All three stop right in front of the law school, and I'd highly recommend getting an apartment near a stop for one of them because it's so convenient. They stop running around 6, and from 6pm until 2 or 3am most days, there are UChicago shuttles that pick up on campus and drop you off wherever. They're also free for students. Those are good if you're on campus late or if you need to go back to campus later on at night.

If you want to get downtown, the 6 and the X28 take you right up Lake Shore Drive to get downtown pretty quickly. If you're going up north for bar review or something, most people will take the 6 up (maybe an additional leg on the L) and then buses stop running at ~1ish, so people will split cabs back.

I've never lived without a car before, but I don't have one here and even I've found it super easy to get around.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:23 pm

Themaddh wrote:What is student culture like? Is everyone studying all the time and as nerdy as everyone makes it sound or do people have real lives outside of school?

So far the culture is friendly and pretty laid-back. The first quarter we only have two finals, and our LRW class is ungraded, so there's really not anything to be SUPER stressed about, and people in our class go out regularly, do fun stuff on the weekends, relax, etc. During finals you could tell people were working a bit harder, but tonight, for example, people are going out after our first exam even though we have another final on Monday. I fully expect people to go crazy and nerd out when we have four finals in the spring quarter, but for now it really hasn't been all work all the time, at least for most people I know.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:58 pm

Dany wrote:
Themaddh wrote:What is student culture like? Is everyone studying all the time and as nerdy as everyone makes it sound or do people have real lives outside of school?

So far the culture is friendly and pretty laid-back. The first quarter we only have two finals, and our LRW class is ungraded, so there's really not anything to be SUPER stressed about, and people in our class go out regularly, do fun stuff on the weekends, relax, etc. During finals you could tell people were working a bit harder, but tonight, for example, people are going out after our first exam even though we have another final on Monday. I fully expect people to go crazy and nerd out when we have four finals in the spring quarter, but for now it really hasn't been all work all the time, at least for most people I know.

Yeah, I'd say there's a good balance. If you don't want to go out, there are people doing other things, but if you do then there's definitely opportunities. People take school seriously, but it's not that bad (yet).

Themaddh

Postby Themaddh » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:08 pm

Xifeng wrote:
Dany wrote:

Yeah, I'd say there's a good balance. If you don't want to go out, there are people doing other things, but if you do then there's definitely opportunities. People take school seriously, but it's not that bad (yet).

Thanks, how bad has the weather been thus far?

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:10 pm

I'm from the south and I think it's been awesome, but then again I don't really get cold. Hasn't been too bad at all. I heard winter is coming, though.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:12 pm

Dany and Xi!!! Good luck with finals!!

What day do you guys start school after Christmas?

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:16 pm

Dany wrote:I'm from the south and I think it's been awesome, but then again I don't really get cold. Hasn't been too bad at all. I heard winter is coming, though.

Swoon

Good luck with finals Dany and Xi.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:20 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:What day do you guys start school after Christmas?

January 3 I think?

Thanks y'all. Hopefully I don't fail out and can make it to 2L so I can see some of you guys next year.

Schola

Postby Schola » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:29 pm

Rationally I know that we RD applicants won't hear from Chicago for at least another month, but every time the mail comes and there is something from UofC I still get excited. Then, invariably, it turns out that it is a letter asking my wife for money...

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:30 pm

Dany wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:What day do you guys start school after Christmas?

January 3 I think?

Thanks y'all. Hopefully I don't fail out and can make it to 2L so I can see some of you guys next year.

:| :roll:

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:45 pm

Schola wrote:Rationally I know that we RD applicants won't hear from Chicago for at least another month, but every time the mail comes and there is something from UofC I still get excited. Then, invariably, it turns out that it is a letter asking my wife for money...

Also, they'll call you! So you can just ignore the mail. :)

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:46 pm

Do they call all ED applicants? Regardless if it is an admit/WL/ or rejection?

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:02 pm

Not sure, but I'm going to guess no (awkward conversation!)

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:03 pm

Xifeng wrote:Not sure, but I'm going to guess no (awkward conversation!)

I'm so nervous, Xi

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:10 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:

I'm so nervous, Xi

Be strong. For the children.

BigJohnso

Postby BigJohnso » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:10 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:

I'm so nervous, Xi

Me too!! (ED applicant), although I am a sure reject haha

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:15 pm

Me three. But at least if we get in we will know in two weeks at MOST. Which is kind of comforting, right?

Or we get to spend all of Christmas waiting for the rejection/WL/deferral email that is sure to come.....

At least we know when things will happen!! (Lookin' at you, NYU).

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:04 pm

luxxe wrote:Me three. But at least if we get in we will know in two weeks at MOST. Which is kind of comforting, right?

Or we get to spend all of Christmas waiting for the rejection/WL/deferral email that is sure to come.....

At least we know when things will happen!! (Lookin' at you, NYU).

technically, we're still basing this on past results rather than anything definite

erikjc

Postby erikjc » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:48 am

Finally UR for RD. Complete 10/25, UR 12/9.

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:07 am

Supposedly T-minus a week +/- 2 days. Good luck to all my fellow EDs!

Zelda

Postby Zelda » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:28 am

erikjc wrote:Finally UR for RD. Complete 10/25, UR 12/9.

Also just went UR 12/9. Complete 11/2.

addy11

Postby addy11 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:00 pm

Visiting UChicago today. Will have a tour given by a (non-law student) Grad student friend.

Any recommendations on what I should see? Bear in mind that it's freezing (18 right now with moderate winds!) and my time is limited, so it should be worthwhile!

Oh.. And I've done Chicago social scene before, so I'm mostly interested in law school stuff. Apologies in advance if I should be posting elsewhere. Curt replies directing me to other threads will also be appreciated :wink:

foxylaxy

Postby foxylaxy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:26 pm

addy11 wrote:Visiting UChicago today. Will have a tour given by a (non-law student) Grad student friend.

Any recommendations on what I should see? Bear in mind that it's freezing (18 right now with moderate winds!) and my time is limited, so it should be worthwhile!

Oh.. And I've done Chicago social scene before, so I'm mostly interested in law school stuff. Apologies in advance if I should be posting elsewhere. Curt replies directing me to other threads will also be appreciated :wink:

If you're visiting the law school, you shouldn't be out too much. All the buildings are connected. When I had my interview, they offered a guided tour at 1PM. Not sure what days/times these are though. You can get a self-guided tour from the admissions office. I'd say you should look at the classrooms/moot court in Arthur Rubloff (the building all the way to the east, along the lake). The library and clinics are also located in Rubloff. Unfortunately, you can't get into the library without a card so you can't really see it (unless your friend has access). Levy Mayer also has some I think, but when I visited, I mostly saw conference rooms. You will get a good view of the courtyard in Levy Mayer and you can access alumni hall here (you'll see famous alums of the school in the hall). McCormick Hall also has larger meeting rooms. Also, the law school campus is NOT by their undergraduate campus. It is maybe a 40 min train ride to Evanston.

For reference:
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/visit/map.html
The side menu also includes campus tour video, directions and an "Explore Chicago" bit.

FYI Outside of the law campus: Around the law campus is the Magnificent Mile so you can go shopping (new Top Shop is right there along with Water Tower Place). For eating, you can eat at Foodlife in Water Tower Place. There's a Ghirardelli so you can get hot chocolate (next to Top Shop on Pearson). On the same street a little further down is Argo, if you drink tea. There is also a Chick fil-A, Qdoba, Soupbox and Forever Yogurt on Chicago, one block south. A little further north are some bars/pubs along Clark and Division. More lounges/ Outside of Chick fil-A is the Chicago stop for the red line, which can take you to NU's UG campus, if you transfer to the purple line at Howard.

foxylaxy

Postby foxylaxy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:27 pm

foxylaxy wrote:
addy11 wrote:Visiting UChicago today. Will have a tour given by a (non-law student) Grad student friend.

If you're visiting the law school, you shouldn't be out too much. All the buildings are connected. When I had my interview, they offered a guided tour at 1PM. Not sure what days/times these are though. You can get a self-guided tour from the admissions office. I'd say you should look at the classrooms/moot court in Arthur Rubloff (the building all the way to the east, along the lake). The library and clinics are also located in Rubloff. Unfortunately, you can't get into the library without a card so you can't really see it (unless your friend has access). Levy Mayer also has some I think, but when I visited, I mostly saw conference rooms. You will get a good view of the courtyard in Levy Mayer and you can access alumni hall here (you'll see famous alums of the school in the hall). McCormick Hall also has larger meeting rooms. Also, the law school campus is NOT by their undergraduate campus. It is maybe a 40 min train ride to Evanston.

For reference:
The side menu also includes campus tour video, directions and an "Explore Chicago" bit.

FYI Outside of the law campus: Around the law campus is the Magnificent Mile so you can go shopping (new Top Shop is right there along with Water Tower Place). For eating, you can eat at Foodlife in Water Tower Place. There's a Ghirardelli so you can get hot chocolate (next to Top Shop on Pearson). On the same street a little further down is Argo, if you drink tea. There is also a Chick fil-A, Qdoba, Soupbox and Forever Yogurt on Chicago, one block south. A little further north are some bars/pubs along Clark and Division. More lounges/ Outside of Chick fil-A is the Chicago stop for the red line, which can take you to NU's UG campus, if you transfer to the purple line at Howard.

oh...I thought this was the NU thread. -__- Well that answers your question about NU anyway.

addy11

Postby addy11 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:37 pm

foxylaxy wrote:
foxylaxy wrote:

For reference:

oh...I thought this was the NU thread. -__- Well that answers your question about NU anyway.

Wow! Thanks so much for the detailed response! Sorry for confusing you... I've been caught double timing! :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”